Help with light stand please

Started Apr 20, 2013 | Discussions
El Wray
Junior MemberPosts: 48
Like?
Help with light stand please
Apr 20, 2013

I'm wanting to try to do some off camera flash.  I've got the 5DIII and 430EXII flash along with Pixel King wireless flash triggers.

I'm looking at this light stand (Manfrotto 1052BAC)

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-1052BAC-Compact-Stand-Black/dp/B0023RRPDS/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp

The question I have, is: do I need some kind of head to attach to the top of this light stand to hold the 430EXII/Pixel King Trigger or can I screw the Pixel King (the 430 is attached to the top of the Pixel King via hot shoe) directly to the top of this stand?

Probably a stupid question, but I really can't tell from the pictures/description and I have no camera stores anywhere near me to which I could go and look in person.

If I do need some kind of head, any suggestions?  No plans for an umbrella at this point.  Just the flash.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tihomir
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
Re: Help with light stand please
In reply to El Wray, Apr 20, 2013

It depends on how the receiver connects to the flash. There are 2 types of receivers:

1. Ones that connect to the flash via the PC sync port - in this case you have to buy a cold shoe similar to this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Tiffen-300-SHO-Stroboframe-Bracket-Mount/dp/B00009UTL1/ref=pd_bxgy_p_img_z

it will be put on the thread of the stand and will hold the flash on the top while the receiver can be velcro/tape-ed to the flash so it doesn't hang on the PC sync cord.

2. Other receivers are designed to work with a small speedlight and have a hot shoe over them. They usually have a theaded hole at the bottom that matches the standard light stand mounting knob.

However I would recommend to buy an umbrella holder that already has a cold shoe mounting bracket. It can be used to hold the flash with or without the umbrella.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,016Gear list
Like?
In reply to El Wray, Apr 21, 2013

You want to add an umbrella bracket.  The bracket will not only allow you to diffuse your light to produce soft flattering light by using an umbrella it will allow you to adjust the angle of the flash head.  Here is the one from B&H that I use.  You can find similar ones at Adorama, Amazon.com, and ebay.

Impact Umbrella Bracket with Adjustable Shoe 9101880 B&H Photo

If you buy from B&H you should also pick up one or two umbrellas unless you already have them.  These are the ones I recommend.  Use the smaller one for waist up portraits or head shots, the larger for standing portraits.  You can find equivalent umbrellas at Adorama.

Impact Convertible 45" Umbrella - White Satin with Removable UBBW45

Impact Convertible 60" Umbrella UBBW60 B&H Photo Video

Finally, here is a very good option for you.  You will get two complete setups, stands, umbrella brackets, and umbrellas for only a little more than the cost of one Manfrotto stand.  Add a Yongnuo YN-560-II flash and you have a two light setup.

Impact Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit DFUMK B&H Photo Video

Speedlights.net | Yongnuo Speedlite YN560-II Manual Flash (new upgraded ‘mark II’ version)

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
El Wray
Like?
In reply to Sailor Blue, Apr 21, 2013

Thank you, both very much.

BAK
BAK
Forum ProPosts: 18,997
Like?
Scroll down the page.

See the Manfrotto lite-tite. You need this or something similar. Make sure the trigger connects to the brass insert in the Lite-Tite. Some triggers require a "cold" shoe and some work with threaded holes.

BAK

Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
Re: Scroll down the page.
In reply to BAK, Apr 21, 2013

The manfrotto 1052BAC is a good choice

Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
El Wray
Like?
In reply to BAK, Apr 21, 2013

The trigger's receiver has a standard screw hole on the bottom (it also can slip into a cold shoe).  So can I attach the receiver to anything that has that "standard" screw.

I see the Manfrotto 1052BAC light stand has a gold piece at the top which look like a threaded screw.  Would I be able to attach to this without any other type of "head"?

Below left is a picture of the bottom of the flash trigger I have that I'm referring to.

BAK
BAK
Forum ProPosts: 18,997
Like?

Starting at the bottom.

There is a light stand with a cylinder top, and sticking out of that is a threaded "bolt" or "Screw."

The lower side of the Lite Tite is slipped over this cylinder, ingnoring the threaded part, and a side screw attaches the Lite Tite to the light stand.

A brass plug is removed from the top of the Lite Tite and screwed into the bottom of the receiver.

The plug and receiver are put back on the top of the Lite Tite.

The flash is placed into the hot shoe on top of the receiver.

If you loosen the handle on the side of the Lite Tite, you can tilt it up or down.

There is a hole in the Lite Tite through which you slide the umbrella shaft.

By loosening the brass plug, you twist the flash to face into the umbrella (away from the subect) or toward the subject, or off to one side for wall bounces, etc.

Photoflex make a good imitation Lite Tite for less money. Heavy duty plastic, and these are what I use.

BAK

Nikonparrothead
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,919Gear list
Like?

Yes but many people are suggesting you buy the umbrella holder as well. I agree with them, it will be money well spent.

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D3S +11 more
El Wray
Like?
In reply to Nikonparrothead, Apr 21, 2013

Nikonparrothead wrote:

Yes but many people are suggesting you buy the umbrella holder as well. I agree with them, it will be money well spent.

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Yes, good advice from all.  Many thanks to everyone.

I will get the Manfrotto lite-tite umbrella holder as well.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads