Anyone else upset the new 5DIII looks like it will not fix the AF point Illumination issue?

Started Apr 20, 2013 | Discussions
MASTERPPA
Contributing MemberPosts: 864
Like?
Anyone else upset the new 5DIII looks like it will not fix the AF point Illumination issue?
Apr 20, 2013

From what I have read the new update does not illumination the AF point, even in single, or even in manual mode. I know the reason is that in auto, the light messes with the meters, but what about fully manual? Why did Canon not light up the point for manual mode??

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
bahula
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
Re: Anyone else upset the new 5DIII looks like it will not fix the AF point Illumination issue?
In reply to MASTERPPA, Apr 20, 2013

Are you talking about wanting the AF point(s) constantly illuminated instead of the current behavior of flashing once AF is achieved?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
drent
Regular MemberPosts: 248
Like?
Re: Anyone else upset the new 5DIII looks like it will not fix the AF point Illumination issue?

It does not affect me working with the camera. No problem for me.

dave_bass5
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,910Gear list
Like?
In reply to drent, Apr 20, 2013

No i dont really miss it. I dd at first but there are work around if you cant find the AF point, and im happy to not have a  red light flashing away in the VF when im taking the shots.

I can see how others want it but if there is a downside to Canon implementing it then im all for not having it.

dave_bass5's gear list:dave_bass5's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
SithTracy
Regular MemberPosts: 273Gear list
Like?

Wait for April 30/May 1 to see the complete change log.  I am hoping for the Speedlite/AF assist beam fix.

SithTracy's gear list:SithTracy's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X100T Olympus E-520 Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5D Mark III +20 more
birdbrain
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,376Gear list
Like?

To be honest I have not noticed it as a problem myself. I am sure there are shooting situations where it may be a problem.

-- hide signature --

Phil
I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +15 more
Zee Char
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,659Gear list
Like?
In reply to SithTracy, Apr 20, 2013

SithTracy wrote:

Wait for April 30/May 1 to see the complete change log.  I am hoping for the Speedlite/AF assist beam fix.

Canon said they would include that fix.

Zee Char's gear list:Zee Char's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +4 more
chironNYC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,428
Like?

I don't notice a problem at all, except in very limited circumstances that I have easily worked around, and I shoot a lot of high ISO in low light. I think I might actually be annoyed by a flashing red focus point and turn off the feature if it were implemented. It may be more of a problem for people who shoot using off-center focus points in dark circumstances. but in such circumstances, I always use the center point and I can find it without seeing it flash.

cyrano
Contributing MemberPosts: 881
Like?
It's a deal-killer for me

The non-illuminated AF points made the 5D3 and the 1DX impossible for me to use for my dance work. The firmware fix for the 1DX worked for me.

It's been reported the technique used in the 1DX firmware fix may not work for the 5D3:

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/11/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-blinking-red-af-point-information/

I agree with you that Canon should offer a fix for the 5D3 if only for Manual mode, where possible interference with the metering system would not be an issue.

chironNYC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,428
Like?
Re: It's a deal-killer for me
In reply to cyrano, Apr 21, 2013

cyrano wrote:

The non-illuminated AF points made the 5D3 and the 1DX impossible for me to use for my dance work. The firmware fix for the 1DX worked for me.

It's been reported the technique used in the 1DX firmware fix may not work for the 5D3:

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/11/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-blinking-red-af-point-information/

I agree with you that Canon should offer a fix for the 5D3 if only for Manual mode, where possible interference with the metering system would not be an issue.

Yes, it seems like it would be possible to fix it within manual mode, which would probably help people like you who are shooting under stage lights where manual would probably be the preferred shooting mode and the problem of not seeing the focus points against a black background is at its worst.

qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,350Gear list
Like?
In reply to MASTERPPA, Apr 21, 2013

I notice this issue but I don't feel this affects how I use the camera in AI-servo mode.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
MASTERPPA
Contributing MemberPosts: 864
Like?
In reply to drent, Apr 21, 2013

You must not shoot a lot of off center point work in low-light.  In dark cloths it is impossible to see

drent wrote:

It does not affect me working with the camera. No problem for me.

cyrano
Like?
Re: It's a deal-killer for me
In reply to chironNYC, Apr 22, 2013

chironNYC wrote:

Yes, it seems like it would be possible to fix it within manual mode, which would probably help people like you who are shooting under stage lights where manual would probably be the preferred shooting mode and the problem of not seeing the focus points against a black background is at its worst.

Just so.

I can't imagine why Canon doesn't offer, for Manual mode only, the option of having the selected AF point illuminated constantly (as is the case with the 1D mark IV.) While the blinking AF point fix is usable, a constantly-illuminated AF point would be better.

5DMkIII Shooter
Junior MemberPosts: 29Gear list
Like?
In reply to MASTERPPA, Apr 24, 2013

Just had my 5D3 updated when I went to my LCS to get a copy of ver 1.2.1

I tried in manual mode each of the 3 drive modes. None has the AF point illuminated constantly.

I would have liked it too if Canon did fix it.

5DMkIII Shooter's gear list:5DMkIII Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX130 IS Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III +14 more
dave_bass5
Like?
In reply to 5DMkIII Shooter, Apr 24, 2013

I cant see what wrong with just hitting the top right hand button and illuminating all the AF points, this will show which point is selected. I appreciate it goes off after hitting another button but at least it shows where it is.

Im sure if Canon could, and there was no downsides to it they would. its all very well people speculating that the know Canon could do it but obviously this is not based on actually data, just wishful thinking IMO. The 1Dx and 5DMKIII are not the same camera's and just because one can do it doesn't mean the other can.

Still, maybe in another FW update later on Canon might have figured out if its possible.

Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
Marx81
Regular MemberPosts: 420Gear list
Like?
In reply to dave_bass5, Apr 24, 2013

I'm used to it and it works fine for my photography .

When I need external points I illuminate it with the button up on the right .

I can confirm there are no changes on this topic on the coming update .

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marxx/

Marx81's gear list:Marx81's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +3 more
cyrano
Like?
this doesn't help track a moving subject

dave_bass5 wrote:

I cant see what wrong with just hitting the top right hand button and illuminating all the AF points, this will show which point is selected. I appreciate it goes off after hitting another button but at least it shows where it is.

This isn't useful when one needs to keep the selected AF point positioned over a moving subject, when both the subject and the background are dark.

dave_bass5
Like?
Re: this doesn't help track a moving subject
In reply to cyrano, Apr 24, 2013

cyrano wrote:

dave_bass5 wrote:

This isn't useful when one needs to keep the selected AF point positioned over a moving subject, when both the subject and the background are dark.

Yeah, i can see how its a bit of a pain for some. In that case i would use expanded AF point and AI Servo, but again, not ideal.

cyrano
Like?
Re: this doesn't help track a moving subject

dave_bass5 wrote:

Yeah, i can see how its a bit of a pain for some. In that case i would use expanded AF point and AI Servo, but again, not ideal.

In AI Servo mode, the problem is even worse, because the selected AF point never lights up at all. If you're trying to track a moving subject in AI Servo mode, and both the subject and the background are dark, it's more than a pain -- it's virtually impossible.

I shoot stages where the entire scene is so dark, I can't see the edges of the viewfinder frame. In such cases, there's just no way to keep a non-illuminated AF point over the subject. Even using just the center AF point isn't a solution when you can't see the edges of the viewfinder frame, and have lost reference as to where the center of the frame is with respect to the subject.

For much of my work, expanded AF points is not an option, as I'm trying to track one individual among a group of closely-spaced, rapidly-moving dancers.

I'm really happy that Canon did deliver a fix for the 1DX. I'm hopeful that Canon will deliver a fix for the 5D3, if only for Manual mode.

Gazer
Contributing MemberPosts: 627Gear list
Like?
Not at all - NT.
In reply to MASTERPPA, Apr 24, 2013
-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads