Getting an OMD ready for Leica M Glass

Started Apr 20, 2013 | Discussions
esophoria
Regular MemberPosts: 118
Like?
Getting an OMD ready for Leica M Glass
Apr 20, 2013

Aside from my new OMD, I have some Leica M glass which I use in my M9.  I decided to take advantage of being able to shoot with the Leica glass.  This necessitated getting an adapter for the OMD.

The local photography shop had a $79 (US) Chinese adapter.  After trying it in the store I noticed, the fit was far from perfect.  There was a bit of shake with the lens attached to the adapter in turn attached to the OMD.  Just didn't like the feel of Leica glass on the OMD.

I ordered and received a Novoflex adapter, $257 (US) and received it today.  The fit and finish is outstanding the the Leica glass now feels totally secure on the body of the OMD.  I've now expanded my set of lenses for the OMD.

BillHinge
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029
Like?
Re: Getting an OMD ready for Leica M Glass
In reply to esophoria, Apr 20, 2013

esophoria wrote:

Aside from my new OMD, I have some Leica M glass which I use in my M9.  I decided to take advantage of being able to shoot with the Leica glass.  This necessitated getting an adapter for the OMD.

The local photography shop had a $79 (US) Chinese adapter.  After trying it in the store I noticed, the fit was far from perfect.  There was a bit of shake with the lens attached to the adapter in turn attached to the OMD.  Just didn't like the feel of Leica glass on the OMD.

I ordered and received a Novoflex adapter, $257 (US) and received it today.  The fit and finish is outstanding the the Leica glass now feels totally secure on the body of the OMD.  I've now expanded my set of lenses for the OMD.

I know most people say get the cheap ebay adapters, and I've had one and didn't like it for similar reasons. I've got the official Panasonic-Leica adapter and it feels much solid, well made and as if it is part  of the camera.

I'm surprised the Novoflex adapter is so much, I paid much less for the P-L adapter a couple of years back. Out of interest, does the Novoflex have an internal baffle? (it was mentioned as a feature on the  P-L)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Macx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,248Gear list
Like?

esophoria wrote:

I've had a similar experience. I bought a cheap adapter over the net, but with the same result and I ended up buying an expensive one (the Panasonic) the second time around just to be sure I got one that worked.

Activatedfx
Contributing MemberPosts: 705
Like?

Another problem with the cheaper adaptors is achieving infinity focus. I tried a few different eBay brands, and found they either would not focus to infinity, or went PAST infinity. I finally got a Metabones adaptor which is actually "adjustable". It's amazing how a tiny difference in adaptor thickness makes a difference.

S. Miller
Contributing MemberPosts: 590
Like?
In reply to Activatedfx, Apr 20, 2013

Activatedfx wrote:

Another problem with the cheaper adaptors is achieving infinity focus. I tried a few different eBay brands, and found they either would not focus to infinity, or went PAST infinity. I finally got a Metabones adaptor which is actually "adjustable". It's amazing how a tiny difference in adaptor thickness makes a difference.

I have nothing to add to this discussion but wanted to say that the thought of going past infinity is blowing my mind.

Steve

amalric
Forum ProPosts: 10,394
Like?
Sorry, but it's a legend...

that Chinese adapters are all bad. I bought two different M39 ones for about 20 $ each, and they both fit well, and reached infinity.

One even had an internal ring with screws, so that you could have the correct orientation with the scales on top.

Am.

-- hide signature --
bluelemmy
Contributing MemberPosts: 690
Like?
Re: Sorry, but it's a legend...
In reply to amalric, Apr 20, 2013

amalric wrote:

that Chinese adapters are all bad. I bought two different M39 ones for about 20 $ each, and they both fit well, and reached infinity.

One even had an internal ring with screws, so that you could have the correct orientation with the scales on top.

My experience too. I use them for my Sigma 105mm macro where manual focusing is better than auto.

-- hide signature --

David
www.dthorpe.net

Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 15,444Gear list
Like?

esophoria wrote:

Happy that you are happy, but no reason to pay so much for a bit of tubing in my opinion. I first got a Fotodiox adapter for the Minolta MD lenses I used to use with MFT. That one didn't allow infinity focus. But no problem. I got a refund without even having to send it back.

I then ordered one from Rainbow Imaging instead. Works perfectly. Price was about USD 25. Lots of people here using Rainbow Imaging adapters with good results as far as I know. Same is probably true about Fotodiox. I just happened to have a bit of bad luck in that case.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +18 more
PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,111Gear list
Like?
In reply to Anders W, Apr 20, 2013

Anders W wrote:

Happy that you are happy, but no reason to pay so much for a bit of tubing in my opinion. I first got a Fotodiox adapter for the Minolta MD lenses I used to use with MFT. That one didn't allow infinity focus. But no problem. I got a refund without even having to send it back.

I've had good luck using a Fotodix adapter with with my MC lenses. Lucky, I guess. Or maybe theyve changes (bought mine in 2010)

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +5 more
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 15,444Gear list
Like?
In reply to PC Wheeler, Apr 20, 2013

PC Wheeler wrote:

Anders W wrote:

I've had good luck using a Fotodix adapter with with my MC lenses. Lucky, I guess. Or maybe theyve changes (bought mine in 2010)

I think there are changes. In all likelihood, Fotodiox just buys these adapters from various manufacturers. Sometimes they get a bad batch or switch to a manufacturer that didn't get it right. I think that's what happened in my case. Since I got my money back without trouble, I don't really complain. I have bought other stuff from Fotodiox that has worked just the way it should.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +18 more
PSCL1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,476Gear list
Like?
In reply to Anders W, Apr 20, 2013

To the OP:  No idea why you are wasting $279 on a Novoflex adapter. And no idea why you spent as much as $70 on a "Chinese" adaptor.   I have Leica M to m4/3 adaptor from Rainbow Imaging, $23, fits perfectly, no problems.

PSCL1's gear list:PSCL1's gear list
Leica X1 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony Alpha NEX-3N +20 more
Rol Lei Nut
Regular MemberPosts: 270
Like?
In reply to esophoria, Apr 22, 2013

I have cheap, no-name adapters for Leica M, M39, Rolleiflex SLR and Leica R (no M42 only because I have other adapters for M42 to Rolleiflex). They all work properly, mount solidly and focus accurately to infinity.

When mounting, maybe they aren't as smooth feeling as, say, an orginal Leica bayonet, but certainly that isn't  a big deal.

What is interesting are the adapters with baffles: I'd be curious to know if they make a difference, since many wide and/or fast lenses exhibit "blooming" at their widest apertures when used on m4/3 cameras.

Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,455Gear list
Like?

esophoria wrote:

Quality has a price.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
panolympus
Regular MemberPosts: 169Gear list
Like?

esophoria wrote:

Wow, that would be cool. If I had a few $k to burn on some Leica lenses I'd jump in the same boat. However, that kind of cash is a bit hard to come by, so...m43 lenses will have to do

tedolf
Forum ProPosts: 15,713Gear list
Like?
This is crazy...
In reply to esophoria, Apr 23, 2013

esophoria wrote:

$79.00 for a 9mm tube?

How about a $19.00 Fotodiox adapter?

Works fine, photo's do not look any different than with a $257.00 adapter.

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads