70-200mm f4 RRS collar is here

Started Apr 19, 2013 | Discussions
Denis of Whidbey Island
Contributing MemberPosts: 726Gear list
Like?
70-200mm f4 RRS collar is here
Apr 19, 2013

Some snaps of the Really Right Stuff collar for the 70-200mm f/4.

Denis

-- hide signature --

I have made this letter a rather long one, only because I didn't have the leisure to make it shorter. Blaise Pascal, 1623-1662

Denis of Whidbey Island's gear list:Denis of Whidbey Island's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Sony a5000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
nkistrup
Senior MemberPosts: 1,042Gear list
Like?
Re: 70-200mm f4 RRS collar is here
In reply to Denis of Whidbey Island, Apr 19, 2013

Thanks Denis for the pictures of the RRS.  Curious why you picked RRS over Kirk for this?  It looks like Kirk's version is more robust because of it's forward support.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/926439-REG/Kirk_NC_70_200_REPL_LENS_COLLAR_70_200MM.html

Question is not just to Denis, but anyone else who went with RRS instead of Kirk for this collar.

For the record, don't own a DSLR yet, and never owned any items from either manufacturer.  Just curious what constitutes a good lens collar.

Niels

nkistrup's gear list:nkistrup's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Michael Siemon
Regular MemberPosts: 236Gear list
Like?
In reply to nkistrup, Apr 20, 2013

nkistrup wrote:

Thanks Denis for the pictures of the RRS.  Curious why you picked RRS over Kirk for this?  It looks like Kirk's version is more robust because of it's forward support.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/926439-REG/Kirk_NC_70_200_REPL_LENS_COLLAR_70_200MM.html

Niels

I have the Kirk collar. Looking at the picture of the RRS item, it _looks_ more robust than the Kirk in isolation. The thing I like about the Kirk collar is that is has a forward support for the lens as well as the one at the ring. Fit and finish on the Kirk is excellent, so my pure guess is that it works at least as well as the RRS, and quite possibly better. Two well-fitted supports along the lens should, other things being equal, give a more stable platform.

Here's a quick and dirty snapshot (light is getting low...) of the lens with the Kirk collar...

-- hide signature --

Michael L. Siemon

Michael Siemon's gear list:Michael Siemon's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +10 more
Denis of Whidbey Island
Like?
In reply to nkistrup, Apr 20, 2013

Gotta say that I ordered my RRS collar with the design unknown. I knew that the Kirk had the extra forward support, which if I recall correctly was a feature of their collar I owned for my 80-200D (one-ring). The forward-support design has its appeal, but I like the RRS design.

I've not seen the Kirk in person, but the RRS exhibits the flawless quality I've grown accustomed to. The last time I bought a Kirk product, it was a bit less refined than RRS stuff I own. One actual advantage is the RRS removable foot allows me to keep the lens in a sleeve that's too small for collar and foot. I don't know what Kirk uses for the bearing surface on it's collar, but the RRS seems to be delrin, which I consider a good material for the application.

Knowing that the Kirk product is substantially less expensive, I can't really argue against it. I've no doubt it will do the job for anyone who does not mind its larger size and (presumably) weight.

Denis

-- hide signature --

I have made this letter a rather long one, only because I didn't have the leisure to make it shorter. Blaise Pascal, 1623-1662

Sony RX100 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Sony a5000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
Michael Siemon
Like?
In reply to Denis of Whidbey Island, Apr 20, 2013

Denis of Whidbey Island wrote:

Knowing that the Kirk product is substantially less expensive, I can't really argue against it. I've no doubt it will do the job for anyone who does not mind its larger size and (presumably) weight.

The Kirk weighs 156 grams (5.5 ounces), or so says my kitchen scale... I don't know what the coating on the ring is (it is quite slippery/smooth). And to second your own remark, I am not really trying to argue against the RRS, but I am pleased with the Kirk.

-- hide signature --

Michael L. Siemon

Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +10 more
nunatak
Senior MemberPosts: 2,137
Like?
1/4"~1/15" sec range?

thanks for the pix. i'm weighing the same choices for an 80-400mm G collar replacement.

i currently own two RRS collars of similar design. one is for the 70-200mm VR1, and the other for the 300mm f4. i really do like the robust form, the compact size, and the quality fit. unfortunately however, they both will still vibrate a little  between 1/4"~1/15" sec.

i'd like to know if this new collar is improved and now tampens all vibration, and also whether anyone has noticed a similar instability when using their Kirk designed collar? thanks.

-- hide signature --

design guy

eajames
Regular MemberPosts: 155
Like?

Thanks for the images - mine arrived today but I'm out of town.

I'm glad to see that the RRS delay was not due to emulating the Kirk design - I can imagine straps and loops and things of various shapes and sizes getting clustered in the space created by the Kirk design. I often find myself working quickly and frantically when the light is changing and I don't need another wrong path to travel along on the way to getting sorted.

Enjoy your new collar...while you're waiting for your newer collar.

nkistrup
Like?

Thanks again Denis,

Can see how the size (read: portability) of the Kirk could be a problem, depending on your bag. Also appreciate Michael's pics of the Kirk.

Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
Denis of Whidbey Island
Like?
In reply to Michael Siemon, Apr 20, 2013

Michael Siemon wrote:

The Kirk weighs 156 grams (5.5 ounces), or so says my kitchen scale... I don't know what the coating on the ring is (it is quite slippery/smooth). And to second your own remark, I am not really trying to argue against the RRS, but I am pleased with the Kirk.

-- hide signature --

Michael L. Siemon

My postage scale indicates that the RRS is 174 grams or 11 percent heavier than the Kirk. I'll guess that the weight is in more steel parts in the collar/foot mating mechanism as well as what appears to be a longer knob shaft on the collar. I've no idea if this difference in mass would show up as a difference in slow shutter speed damping.

Denis

-- hide signature --

Denis of Whidbey Island
Like?
In reply to Denis of Whidbey Island, Apr 21, 2013

In order to better inform anyone shopping for a collar, I've been on Kirk's site examining photos of that design to help compare it to my RRS unit. I'm struck by a couple of things:

1. It appears that the bearing surface of the ring is some kind of tape or thin, applied material. This contrasts with the more substantial surface of the RRS, which is rebated so only the leading and trailing edges bear on the lens. Not saying one is better than the other, but mine seems to be a typically over-engineered RRS design.
  2. I don't see any special bearing surface on the forward support of the Kirk. If you own one, does it actually support the lens and does it rub when you rotate it?

Denis

-- hide signature --

Michael Siemon
Like?
In reply to Denis of Whidbey Island, Apr 21, 2013

Denis of Whidbey Island wrote:.

I don't see any special bearing surface on the forward support of the Kirk. If you own one, does it actually support the lens and does it rub when you rotate it?

Denis

Yes, it supports the lens; it is coated with the same low-friction whatever-it-is that the full ring is coated with. No noticeable issue on rotation. (I have no idea how well this would hold up to extremely heavy usage, but I am unlikely to find out -- I tend more to wide rather than long overall... )

-- hide signature --

Michael L. Siemon

TXLarry
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
In reply to Denis of Whidbey Island, Apr 23, 2013

Denis,

Have you had a chance to use the RRS collar yet?  I'm interested to understand if this collar really prevents any movement of the lens on a tripod.

-- hide signature --

Larry

Denis of Whidbey Island
Like?
Collar in action
In reply to Denis of Whidbey Island, May 1, 2013

-- hide signature --

D Knisely
Senior MemberPosts: 1,686
Like?
Re: Collar in action

-- hide signature --

Very cruel to rub it in against the rest of us who are still waiting.  

I thought my order was very early, but no shipping notice yet...

Doug

D Knisely
Senior MemberPosts: 1,686
Like?
Re: Collar in action
In reply to D Knisely, May 1, 2013

D Knisely wrote:

-- hide signature --

Very cruel to rub it in against the rest of us who are still waiting.  

I thought my order was very early, but no shipping notice yet...

Doug

Oh, darn.  Just asked for an update.  No shipment projection yet.

We received an extremely small batch, I believe less than 10, so we are very slowly working our way through the preorder. Things should ramp up for production and hopefully you will see some movement on that order in the coming weeks. I am sorry I do not have anything more definitive."

nkistrup
Like?
Coil from the camera to the tripod?

Thanks for the post Denis,

What is that coil from the camera to (I think) the tripod?

JurassicPizza
Contributing MemberPosts: 798Gear list
Like?
How is the balance?
In reply to Denis of Whidbey Island, May 2, 2013

I tried the Nikon collar (knowing that RRS or Kirk would likely have a better one) but found that the balance on a tripod head was actually better without the collar than with one, and I could get perfect balance using a rail connected to the camera instead of a lens collar.

-- hide signature --
 JurassicPizza's gear list:JurassicPizza's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS20 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +20 more
Denis of Whidbey Island
Like?
Re: Coil from the camera to the tripod?
In reply to nkistrup, May 2, 2013

nkistrup wrote:

Thanks for the post Denis,

What is that coil from the camera to (I think) the tripod?

That's just a Phottix 10-pin release cable hanging down.

Denis

-- hide signature --

Denis of Whidbey Island
Like?
In reply to Denis of Whidbey Island, May 11, 2013

Just a note: my replacement collar arrived last week with the marks on the correct side of the ring. Their site now has accurate product photos, too: http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=LC-A13-Pkg&type=3&eq=&desc=LC-A13-Package%3a-Collar-and-foot-package.  Note, also, that the price has increased.

Denis

-- hide signature --

eajames
Regular MemberPosts: 155
Like?
In reply to Denis of Whidbey Island, May 12, 2013

Ha - I made the same mistake.  That's the link to the new 80-400mm collar; the quick link on the front page took the place of the 70-200mm f4 collar's front page quick link.  The 70-200mm collar is still $195.

I spent some time with my replacement collar and have decided to return it.  I felt that there was too much flex (fore and aft), and I disliked the screw closure for the collar.  With the screw closure for the collar, there is a small fraction of a rotation between over tightening the collar (and perhaps damaging the lens barrel) and inadequately securing the collar to prevent movement.  Also, the foot attachment to the collar is less than ideal -  there is 2-3mm fore-to-aft play; if I push the foot all of the way to the stop position and tighten the knob the connection does not seem as secure as when I back off 2mm and then tighten.  Strangely, this isn't the case with my 300mm f4 RRS collar and clamp, nor was it with my 70-200mm f2.8 and RRS foot.

Perhaps the biggest issue is the balance of lens and camera.  Without the collar, my D800/e is lens heavy; with the collar, the rig is significantly camera heavy.  Bottom line - why bother, particularly given the other design issues I've found.

All in all I can't see compromising the lens's portability for a minimal, if any, advantage in on-tripod stability.  One of the greatest attributes of the 70-200mm f4 is its weight and size; I never hesitate to bring it along.  Sure, I'll lose the landscape-to-portrait rotation facility, but I've got an L-plate.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads