New 5D MKIII Firmware 1.2.1

Started Apr 19, 2013 | Discussions
slarti bartfast
Regular MemberPosts: 338
Like?
New 5D MKIII Firmware 1.2.1
Apr 19, 2013

Picked up my 5d mkIII from canon service (melb australia) today fri 19th. They said they updated the firmware, when i checked it was 1.2.1.

Looks like it's out there in the service centres at least.

I am not a video person so, i've not been able to check what it offers.

Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
balios
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?
Re: New 5D MKIII Firmware 1.2.1
In reply to slarti bartfast, Apr 19, 2013

The firmware release date is April 30, 2013 according to the Canon USA website (5d iii product page at bottom of "overview").

balios's gear list:balios's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dave_bass5
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,910Gear list
Like?
In reply to balios, Apr 19, 2013

balios wrote:

The firmware release date is April 30, 2013 according to the Canon USA website (5d iii product page at bottom of "overview").

I think camera's are quite often shipped with the latest FW before the updates are widely available.

dave_bass5's gear list:dave_bass5's gear list
Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
spiderhunter
Regular MemberPosts: 231
Like?
In reply to slarti bartfast, Apr 21, 2013

slarti bartfast wrote:

Picked up my 5d mkIII from canon service (melb australia) today fri 19th. They said they updated the firmware, when i checked it was 1.2.1.

So what is new?

A new crop feature like 1.4x that allows up to 7 FPS?

F8 AF works well?

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

A good picture is worth one word - IMPACT.

slarti bartfast
Like?
In reply to spiderhunter, Apr 21, 2013

spiderhunter

I'd have to place a lens that can only offer f8 to see the new AF @F8 feature work. I don't own a tele with an extender.

The other feature is clean HDMI for video and i have never used the video, sorry.

My post is only of help to those that that need the two new additions before april 30. If they pop into canon service it can be added to their cam.

andrewD2
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,837
Like?

Have they fixed the focus point illumination issues? That really puts me off getting a second 5DIII.

Thanks,

Andrew

Freeman-Jo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,579Gear list
Like?
Mine just came back from Irvine, CA last week.

slarti bartfast wrote:

And it's still on 1.1.3

-- hide signature --

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
If picture worth a thousand words, how many megapixel is it?

Freeman-Jo's gear list:Freeman-Jo's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +7 more
90c4
Contributing MemberPosts: 559
Like?
Mine came back from NJ on Wednesday

with firmware 1.1.5.

Jason Rickerby
Contributing MemberPosts: 712
Like?
It looks like April 30, 2013 for the 1.2.1 download...
In reply to slarti bartfast, Apr 22, 2013
kevindar
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,735Gear list
Like?
In reply to andrewD2, Apr 22, 2013

Magic lantern is on a3 release for 5d3.  the focus peaking and focus magic are fantastic for shooting video.  the f8 focusing already works fine with current firmware, if you tape the pin on the converter.  I think until ML updates their firmware to work with new canon (1.5, or 2.1 or whatever)  I will stick with 1.13

kevindar's gear list:kevindar's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 +23 more
slarti bartfast
Like?
In reply to andrewD2, Apr 22, 2013

Andrew...

Sorry to say the AF does not illuminate. I would have loved to seen that fixed as well.

As a side note: the problem i took it in for was not fixed either. It will go back, and i'm debating whether to be polite about it or not.

Freeman-Jo
Like?

slarti bartfast wrote:

Andrew...

Sorry to say the AF does not illuminate. I would have loved to seen that fixed as well.

As a side note: the problem i took it in for was not fixed either. It will go back, and i'm debating whether to be polite about it or not.

I'm not sure what you means by not illuminate?  I know there are a lot of settings that change how the AF point behave.  Mine show red double square.

-- hide signature --

Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +7 more
dave_bass5
Like?
In reply to Freeman-Jo, Apr 22, 2013

Freeman-Jo wrote:

slarti bartfast wrote:

Andrew...

I'm not sure what you means by not illuminate?  I know there are a lot of settings that change how the AF point behave.  Mine show red double square.

-- hide signature --

A lot of people want the AF point to show up in red all the time, like it does on a lot of other Canon cameras. The MKIII cant do this.

Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 650D Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +5 more
Freeman-Jo
Like?
In reply to dave_bass5, Apr 22, 2013

Interesting, I thought it's better the way it is.  That way I know I just got which AF in focus rather than I just focus then move and confuse because it stay lit.

-- hide signature --

Lawrence Becker
Regular MemberPosts: 395
Like?

slarti bartfast wrote:

Andrew...

Why not ALWAYS be polite? I've worked with the Canon Irvine center several times and found them to be responsive and concerned, and they always go out of their way to be helpful to me. When my 1DIII was having issues, they took care of me. When my then new 5DII was not playing nice with my new 24-105 L (the WORST CA I have ever seen in my life), they had me bring ALL my lenses in and calibrated them with the camera. For free... Awesome! When I dropped my 1DIII (tripped on a step), they took really good care of me.

I've been really impressed with them - but then I get good service from Nikon in Manhattan Beach, CA too - (I've heard horror stories from others).

Sorry to interject, but you hit a hot button. What did they not fix?

Back on topic - I JUST picked up a 5DIII Friday and, while there are some things a little different from the 5DII, this is not a problem for me. I kind of like not seeing the distracting red box, but I can easily see the focus point if I need to.

-- hide signature --

Larry Becker

jsmiller
Contributing MemberPosts: 752
Like?

slarti bartfast wrote:

Andrew...

I had a previous camera that made three trips to Canon repair on Irvine, complete with detailed documentation of the problem and a disk of images to show it clearly. I spoke directly with the techincians working on the camera, and they appeared to understand what I was saying. After each trip the camera came back unchanged. I finally gave up on them and tracked down the head of all Canon repair in the US. He immediately understood the problem and had me ship it to him directly, somewhwere in New Jersey I think. It came back working perfectly.

I found in my conversations that different technicians had different levels of understanding about the camera. The problem was that the focus was off on all lenses, and this camera had no MFA. One technician sugested that I always keep it stopped down to f/11 or more, and focus would not be an issue.

Yopu can try simply shipping it back or you could try calling up the Service Center and asking politely to speak to a supervisor. Explain what happened and ask for his suggestion. I found in all of my contacts being polite and friendly got me further than be angry and and making demanding statements. The primary problem is finding the right person to fix your problem, and it should not be the case that this is not always straightforward. It's very frustrating and time consuming to keep shipping your camera back, but sadly that may be a feature of modern technology in some cases. I'm sure many others can cite complete success with their Canon repais on the first go-around. I'm also prepared to believe that Nikon or other camera makers may have their problems too.   Overall I'd like to believe that the vast majority of repairs go very smoothly, but of course one is more likely to hear about horror stories than success.

Joe

slarti bartfast
Like?
In reply to jsmiller, Apr 23, 2013

Joe..

Thanks for the input, you may have convinced me to go the polite route.

What's got me scratching my head though is; within an hour of me using the cam the problem showed up again. They had it for 3 weeks and said they never came across it. The main dial locks up and the playback button just won't work and does it often. The batt levels are a nightmare giving wrong levels and caught me out 3 times saying i had 38% or more and just dying minutes later. There is no low level or flashing on the top screen either. They said that the camera has a log of "all" errors and that locked up buttons and dials show up and that mine did not have any. The cam and batts are 3 months old so it is not because of age or rough treatment from me.

Glad the guy in charge took care of you. I drop the cam off at the centre and need to think of a way to get to somone like him. At canon in melbourne a lady at the front desk books the return in and the tecs don't deal with the public.

I'm sure the problem will  be fixed. It killed me to be without a cam for 3 weeks and i wish i did not have to go through it again. Oh well...

slarti

Muresan Bogdan
Regular MemberPosts: 260
Like?
In reply to slarti bartfast, Apr 23, 2013

How is the AF working better when using flash and IF flash assist light? That was actually my main concern about the new firmware upgrade, not the f8 AF support.

Muresan Bogdan
Regular MemberPosts: 260
Like?
In reply to Muresan Bogdan, Apr 23, 2013

On the Canon website it lists 30 april for the release of the firmware:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/digital_slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii

dave_bass5
Like?
In reply to Muresan Bogdan, Apr 23, 2013

Muresan Bogdan wrote:

On the Canon website it lists 30 april for the release of the firmware:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/digital_slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii

Haha, that date and info was posted 4 days ago in this thread.  Nothing like a news flash for old news.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads