>>> Street Photography eXchange #41 <<<

Started Apr 19, 2013 | Discussions
bosjohn21
Senior MemberPosts: 6,866
Like?
Re: >>> Street Photography eXchange #41 <<<
In reply to Ed Gaillard, Apr 23, 2013

Ed Gaillard wrote:

If you're going to crop that tight, why not crop just above the boy's head?  What are the figures in the background adding?

-- hide signature --

I tried cropping it close as you suggested but I didnt like the effect it seemed to be crowded but thats just me.

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Smile Please
Junior MemberPosts: 36Gear list
Like?
Re: Stalker
In reply to Chris_Downunder, Apr 23, 2013

Not sure about this.  The subject is intriguing, well dressed with shiny shoes and shopping but posing a bit like a homeless person so I find it thought provoking.  The image itself is a bit contrasty for me and something odd is going on in the background.  The blur doesn't look like natural boken, a bit like motion/shake blur but that doesn't go with the foreground so I guess you have put that in?

-- hide signature --

Nick

Smile Please's gear list:Smile Please's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +5 more
xtoph
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,595Gear list
Like?
good gesture
In reply to Smile Please, Apr 23, 2013

regardless of how you captured it, you got a good gesture and excellent color coincidences. the pattern on the cloth is pretty trippy too.

if you feel bad about the way you have to shoot, you my want to give it some more thought. sometimes it is possible to spend enough time in one area, perhaps also bring back some 4x6 prints to hand out, to overcome people's reticence. (sometimes that isn't effective.) at least one other regular poster here shoots regularly in an area hostile to street photography, but manages to make it work; i think he is comfortable with how he works, though.

i hope you'll post some more--this thread is about to be closed, so hope to see you in thread 42.

xtoph
Like?
In reply to Chris_Downunder, Apr 23, 2013

that is one odd, bold bird. i kind of wish it played more prominently in the photo.

xtoph
Like?
>>> Thread CLOSED TO NEW PICTURES <<<
In reply to xtoph, Apr 23, 2013

please post new pictures on SPX #41.

you can post comments on photos already posted and replies to comments here until the thread closes automatically at 150 posts, but feel free to continue discussions in the new thread and link back here to what you're responding to.

Chris_Downunder
Contributing MemberPosts: 611Gear list
Like?
In reply to Smile Please, Apr 23, 2013

Thanks for your comments. The photo was taken with a 12mm lens and the weird bokeh may be due to it - it certainly wasn't intentional but may be more obvious because I bumped up the contrast. I found the scissors also interesting - makes you wonder what he uses them for.

Chris_Downunder's gear list:Chris_Downunder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +9 more
anamesa
Regular MemberPosts: 260
Like?
Re: fur
In reply to solveproblems, Apr 23, 2013

Everyone here has made valuable observations concerning a very strong image, Sal with her rhyme (disdain, mane), you with the disdain towards you, then fad with the japanese textiles, and last but not least, bosjohn with his very astute observation of the space they ocuupy and an interpretation of it. I think he's right, and though we are interested more to the interaction (negative) of the two, her disdain is stretching towards the spectator (or photographer, as you may see it). The poor guy is rather one of the "victims" of such attitude. Very well captured

-- hide signature --

Fotis

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads