>>> Street Photography eXchange #41 <<<

Started Apr 19, 2013 | Discussions
fad
fad
Forum ProPosts: 11,944Gear list
Like?
That's what I thought at first,
In reply to slarti bartfast, Apr 22, 2013

but as the shutter button traversed its interminable journey I thought about age, and beauty, and loveliness, and the transitory nature of honor and power, of indescribable longings that pursue us even to the lip of the grave:

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Still Young
Senior MemberPosts: 1,306
Like?
women's international flag
In reply to xtoph, Apr 22, 2013
No text.
Still Young
Like?
sorry- here:
In reply to Still Young, Apr 22, 2013

i must confess - sometimes it is also my flag...

fad
fad
Like?
I claim this flag for the male of the species

in the name of Sir Walt of Disney

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu23HHmOG48

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSTWy25hRiI

At least in the realm of the imagination.  ;>\

-- hide signature --

Frank

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
bosjohn21
Senior MemberPosts: 4,483
Like?
Re: sorry- here:

Still Young wrote:

i must confess - sometimes it is also my flag...

I wanted this to sweep me off my feet and it almost does. Lately there have been a lot of images of folks from behind some work wonderfully and some work ok. Your image boarders on wonderfull but I wish the building lines were straighter not that it really matters. The colors make your statement and I am seeing what you want me to see which is I believe at the heart of documentary and street photography. good work

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

bosjohn21
Like?
Re: mobile mango marauders
In reply to xtoph, Apr 22, 2013

xtoph wrote:

and this is what i am reduced to without manual controls. [that's a mango picking pole and mangos in the trailer]

cool and nicely done.  you are getting accross a nice sense of motion. an even slower shutter speed would have been even more pronounced sense of speed but this is a terrific image

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

bosjohn21
Like?
Re: Ruby Lips
In reply to Zubu Barunda, Apr 22, 2013

Zubu Barunda wrote:

Ok shooting women on cell phones or Mobiles as the rest of the world calls them is hereby banned for being way too easy. On the other hand the lips are wonderful nice capture

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

bosjohn21
Like?
Re: umbrella
In reply to solveproblems, Apr 22, 2013

solveproblems wrote:

but where is the rain? Umbrellas are like light houses. Ranking right up there with girls in red bikinis as a favorite subject. I mean really movies have been made about umbrellas. So your up against a lot of compitition to make your unbrella shot stand out. this is a nicly composed and conceived photo but I wanna see rain snow sleet gusty winds and otherwise foul weather. beautiful black and white pp and a fine composition. Now go and make it great

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

fad
fad
Like?
Re: umbrella
In reply to bosjohn21, Apr 22, 2013

bosjohn21 wrote:

solveproblems wrote:

but where is the rain? Umbrellas are like light houses. Ranking right up there with girls in red bikinis as a favorite subject. I mean really movies have been made about umbrellas. So your up against a lot of compitition to make your unbrella shot stand out. this is a nicly composed and conceived photo but I wanna see rain snow sleet gusty winds and otherwise foul weather. beautiful black and white pp and a fine composition. Now go and make it great

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

And don't forget to pray to the Thunder God. 

I also find this photo pleasing.

-- hide signature --

Frank

bosjohn21
Like?
Re: Absorbing light
In reply to andrenth, Apr 22, 2013

andrenth wrote:

-- hide signature --

Andre

I like the way your bending the compositional guide lines but in this instance its working against you. the girl crossing the street is not related to your subject and is then distracting

every thing you want me to see is on the left side of the photo. What you have over there is quite a nice capture of a bit of life.

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

bosjohn21
Like?
Re: Canon Snooze, 'Greta' and 'Something Bright'
In reply to Jethro777, Apr 22, 2013

Jethro777 wrote:

Canon Snooze

'Greta'

'Something Bright'

Minolta f/4-4.5 28-135 Glass w/ SLTA77

three excellent shots.  However I believe the canon is resting and not sleeping.

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

Still Young
Like?
what a fun n/t
In reply to fad, Apr 22, 2013

nt

Sal18
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,919Gear list
Like?
Re: That's what I thought at first,
In reply to fad, Apr 22, 2013

Very nicely said.

Sal

Sal18's gear list:Sal18's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Still Young
Like?
Re: sorry- here:
In reply to bosjohn21, Apr 23, 2013

Thanks bosjohon

I appreciate your whole contributing by replying and commenting a lot of posts here. Keep on.

still

fad
fad
Like?
Cards (and beer) Against Humanity
In reply to xtoph, Apr 23, 2013

Unlike most of the party games you've played before, Cards Against Humanity is as despicable and awkward as you and your friends.

The game is simple. Each round, one player asks a question from a Black Card, and everyone else answers with their funniest White Card.

*A free party game for horrible people.

-- hide signature --

Frank

bosjohn21
Like?
Re: lioness

xtoph wrote:

great interaction and expressions, and the lineup of faces is felicitous. overall i like the look of the picture, but the upper middle, including the pole, is far from ideal. c'est la vie, i guess.

what have you been drinking Xtoph I dont see any inter action at all as a matter of fact I see two people forced to share the seat on what looks like a subway car and doing every thing they can to keep apart. Hmmmm ok I guess that is a kind of interaction. I really like this image a lot because of how obviously each is trying desperatly to keep thier own space in the crowded train, Some one suggested black and white but I dont think that will make much difference its just so strong whats going on here. big thumbs up for this one

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

bosjohn21
Like?
Re: lioness
In reply to bosjohn21, Apr 23, 2013

bosjohn21 wrote:

xtoph wrote:

great interaction and expressions, and the lineup of faces is felicitous. overall i like the look of the picture, but the upper middle, including the pole, is far from ideal. c'est la vie, i guess.

what have you been drinking Xtoph I dont see any inter action at all as a matter of fact I see two people forced to share the seat on what looks like a subway car and doing every thing they can to keep apart. Hmmmm ok I guess that is a kind of interaction. I really like this image a lot because of how obviously each is trying desperatly to keep thier own space in the crowded train, Some one suggested black and white but I dont think that will make much difference its just so strong whats going on here. big thumbs up for this one

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

sorry guys this got attached to the wrong post and yes I am useing threaded view sorry again

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

Smile Please
Junior MemberPosts: 35Gear list
Like?
Re: >>> Street Photography eXchange #41 <<<

Streets of Accra.

First post here after spending a lot of time trying to find a 'serious' street photography site that isn't full of holiday snaps and pictures of cats (don't mind a few dogs ).  Shooting in Accra was a real challenge as the local people were very suspicious of someone with a camera and just didn't seem to understand that my only motive was to enjoy a hobby.  I ended up taking a lot with my camera held down and trusting on instinct and autofocus.

I question my own methods, however, as shooting whilst trying to conceal the fact seems a little immoral although it was the only practical way.

Smile Please's gear list:Smile Please's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +5 more
bosjohn21
Like?
Re: fur
In reply to solveproblems, Apr 23, 2013

solveproblems wrote:

This is an awesome capture I love it totally. Its like the hight of negative interaction which of course is interaction. Their body language and each crowding to the edtges of thier side tell us the each is doing his or her best to occupy as little space on the seat as possible to avoid actually having to acknowledge each other. This is quite powerful

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

Chris_Downunder
Contributing MemberPosts: 611Gear list
Like?
Stalker

Chris_Downunder's gear list:Chris_Downunder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads