fad
Forum ProPosts: 12,259Gear list
Like?
A street photography bouquet for Spring
In reply to xtoph, Apr 19, 2013

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon D810 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
fad
fad
Like?
Self portrait

Light - Rich - Refined

Maybe 2 out of 3   :\

-- hide signature --

Frank

fad
fad
Like?
Rite of spring VII

Don't forget to always view original size.  Thank you.

-- hide signature --

Frank

janlu
Senior MemberPosts: 6,439
Like?
Re: Self portrait
In reply to fad, Apr 19, 2013

Very cool ...... happy to meet you !!

Gianluca

-- hide signature --
xtoph
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,492Gear list
Like?
Lightroom 5 is certainly big news

right now it looks like the best option out there, though i still prefer the managed library of aperture (and also some of the ways brushes work in aperture).

i sincerely hope that it will not make a bigger difference in anyones photos than the camera or lens, however. i'll chalk it up to enthusiasm, acknowledge that processing is very important, and please let's not actually get into a debate about the healing brush...   ; )

anyway, i should probably plan to spend some time to get to know the new heir apparent. thanks for the link to vids--

xtoph
Like?
Re: >>> Street Photography eXchange #41 <<<
In reply to andrenth, Apr 19, 2013

nice use of the dappled light to draw the eye deeper into the frame, and the figures are well-placed.

anamesa
Regular MemberPosts: 260
Like?
Re: daydreamer

fad wrote:

xtoph wrote:

[m6ttl+35/1.4+portra 160]

The skillfulness of this exposure leads to an esthetic conundrum:  How do I feel about being made to see with this kind of eye?   The highlights on the skin, while not blown, are difficult to look at.  The actual face is obliterated, the pasted ones are real.   The post above the head is also a little off-putting.   The  nearly centered, cruciform geometry of the person/bench/post also objectifies him.   Esthetically interesting, but perhaps a little unsettling.

Some of the negatives you list could be seen in a positive view, if we would consider the meaning of the photo, in the direction pointed out by Andrenth. So we could perhaps say that the dream might have a more intense reality here than the person. Or maybe is more "attractive", it's a daydream after all. The objectification you rightly observed could be attributed to the fact that he's dreaming, he's not a conscious subject, a master of his own will, but an object of desires. Myself, initially I objected to this being in pure daylight, even if shades of shadow enter the game, but then I accepted it. He's in broad daylight, but most of the "dreams", as images, are in a more shadowy or half shadowy world. So, the only thing I would object is the frontality, which is a bit uneasy for the spectator, b/c it feels like he's about to look at us (and this could be scary, since we could then take a status equivalent of his dreams). But I don't mind, after all, because I'm looking for the unsettling in photos, or a special kind of unsettling. I wouldn't say it's all success here, but has most ingredients, and reveals an instictual response to something which is only afterwards appreciated (here is a guess).

I applaud you on cutting off the bottom of the feet.   More people should do it.

-- hide signature --

Frank

-- hide signature --

Fotis

xtoph
Like?
Re: lioness
In reply to Still Young, Apr 19, 2013

great interaction and expressions, and the lineup of faces is felicitous. overall i like the look of the picture, but the upper middle, including the pole, is far from ideal. c'est la vie, i guess.

anamesa
Like?
Re: Market place
In reply to Deepak Kaw, Apr 20, 2013

Deepak Kaw wrote:

The first is the shy, but almost shining presence of the young lady or girl, in the middle of (a world of) men. The boy on the right, is he gazing at her? I like the photo.

The second is interesting as well, I would characterize it as "centrifugal", because everyone (whose presence is central to the picture) is looking somewhere else, or off field. Especially the man on the right, who epitomizes this quality. So we have a very strange atmosphere.

-- hide signature --

Fotis

xtoph
Like?
Re: Oxford
In reply to Alumna Gorp, Apr 20, 2013

these strike me as both unnecessarily black (ie, you could raise the midtones considerably in the curve, without losing black point), and heavy-handed (again) with the borders. i know you've heard that latter before, and it's definitely a subjective thing, but i really think the borders intrude on the attention i give to the picture itself.

i like the angles on both these, especially the first one. the star sign seems to fit with the overall subject as well. but i am a bit unclear why exactly i am looking at the first one--not that there always has to be an obvious reason.

i think i liked the hat-toss shot from 'another go' even better. there, you had a combination of style and subject that reinforced each other.

anamesa
Like?
Re: lioness
In reply to Still Young, Apr 20, 2013

Still Young wrote:

Nice photo, especially the interplay between the beauty with bags and the beast The beast is holdin the boy with cup from the arm. This is another punctum. And then the man in sunglasses and serious posture leaving the frame. I like it.

-- hide signature --

Fotis

anamesa
Like?
In reply to Still Young, Apr 20, 2013

I don't know why, but though in the first we do have the ingredients, performance and audience, and a closer look to the landscape of her face, I prefer the second this time, it has something odd which atracts my gaze. Maybe the little tilt, or the tight crop or the juxtaposition of flowers and fruits (watermelons), or maybe because it follows the first which also has to do with flowers. Here the fruits push the lady with flowers out of the frame.

-- hide signature --

Fotis

anamesa
Like?
In reply to bosjohn21, Apr 20, 2013

bosjohn21 wrote:

A couple old and one new

-- hide signature --

John aka bosjohn21

This is the one I like, and I would have liked to see the face of the childs opponent. Is it a tight crop or you've just decided to center on the child?

-- hide signature --

Fotis

anamesa
Like?
Re: Oxford
In reply to Alumna Gorp, Apr 20, 2013

I understand the frames were already in the photos of your gallery, and I'm sure you know where this king of frame comes from. I personally don't care. It seems you have a style, though it is not stricktly personal, but necessarily in part imposed from the circumances of photographin. And I don't mind the black that Chris mentioned. It seems you wish to create "effets du reel", effects of the real of a certain kind of photojournalism of a certain period but of documentary photogaphy as well, etc. Now this "real" is more a fantasy. All these you don't need, because you might as well go without. But your photographic gaze is interesting, so I would concentrate on what else is in the photos, if they open to another space besides the manifest content. So in the first we have an exchange, money is given, but we are not certain why, we just guess. And I like the distorted reflection of the building in the window pane. In the second, you're more austere, and laconic. But the second doesn't make me wonder, only the black(ened) doors that frame the musicians and the face of the guitarist, concentrated on his playing. So, I'm in favor of the first.

-- hide signature --

Fotis

anamesa
Like?
Re: A street photography bouquet for Spring
In reply to fad, Apr 20, 2013

What I like here? The almost childlike pleasure that went into it's making.

-- hide signature --

Fotis

anamesa
Like?
Re: Self portrait
In reply to fad, Apr 20, 2013

fad wrote:

Light - Rich - Refined

Maybe 2 out of 3   :\

This is a very fine picture, playing between the two portraits, the "self-" one and the profile of the portrait in the reflection, thus making us oscillate between them. The whole setting is happily ally to the concept.

-- hide signature --

Frank

-- hide signature --

Fotis

anamesa
Like?
untitled
In reply to xtoph, Apr 20, 2013

-- hide signature --

Fotis

xtoph
Like?
In reply to bosjohn21, Apr 20, 2013

bosjohn21 wrote:

this one has a fascinating setting, and the hats are surprisingly interesting, but i really would have liked to get some fronts of principle subjects somewhere. so a bit disappointing to me, ultimately.

beautiful expression and concentration on the center of interest. i too would have liked a wider frame to include some of the player at left, i think. not sure that would have worked. but i do feel the absence of his head/profile.

A couple old and one new

i think this last one is pretty cool, i assume this is the new one and i cannot tell for sure what's going on with the black bars. but the fundamental subject (and its photographic-ness) is so clear and strong that it kind of shines through the somewhat fuzzy capture.

fad
fad
Like?
River of Chess (ripoff of Sal)

I absolutely would never have thought of this composition except for Sal's well-observed shot.  I hadn't even noticed that the demographics of the area have changed over the years.   Such is neuro-memory.

So that it would not be a complete ripoff, I shot down upon the players, instead of Sal's brilliant idea of shooting through and between the players.

The closest board may be playing some form of feminist chess, since neither king is actually on the board. ;\

This was also part of a theme today wherein young men were allowing pretty women to school them in various things, although this man is actually looking at the pieces and not the instructor.

-- hide signature --

Frank

Ed Gaillard
Regular MemberPosts: 442
Like?

xtoph wrote:

bosjohn21 wrote:

beautiful expression and concentration on the center of interest. i too would have liked a wider frame to include some of the player at left, i think. not sure that would have worked. but i do feel the absence of his head/profile.

I don't agree.  That would be a different photograph, with a different meaning.  This one puts me in mind of a quote from the biologist Thomas Henry Huxley, an early supporter of evolution:

"The chess-board is the world; the pieces are the phenomena of the universe; the rules of the game are what we call the laws of Nature. The player on the other side is hidden from us. We know that his play is always fair, just and patient. But also we know, to our cost, that he never overlooks a mistake, or makes the smallest allowance for ignorance."

Note also that White's King has already been swept from the board.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads