Nikon D7100 left focus issue

Started Apr 19, 2013 | Discussions
SaturnN
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
Nikon D7100 left focus issue
Apr 19, 2013

I have purchased a D71000 yesterday and immediately tested it for this issue. I have discovered that my camera definitively has some issues with focus points left of from the center. I couldn't quite confirmed that left focus points have back or front focus, but I just couldn't get images with the same sharpness as they were taken by center or right points. I photographed over and over again the same pattern with different focus points and the ones taken with the left points were always softer.

Wo what do you thing is the only way to go just returning the camera and try a new one or send it to service? Is this problem with left focus points a matter of calibration or hardware fault?

Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PepsiCan
Contributing MemberPosts: 739Gear list
Like?
Re: Start by testing correctly
In reply to SaturnN, Apr 19, 2013

SaturnN wrote:

I have purchased a D71000 yesterday and immediately tested it for this issue. I have discovered that my camera definitively has some issues with focus points left of from the center. I couldn't quite confirmed that left focus points have back or front focus, but I just couldn't get images with the same sharpness as they were taken by center or right points. I photographed over and over again the same pattern with different focus points and the ones taken with the left points were always softer.

Wo what do you thing is the only way to go just returning the camera and try a new one or send it to service? Is this problem with left focus points a matter of calibration or hardware fault?

You should first ensure you test correctly. And post pictures of your tests. At the moment, it could be as simple as using shutter priority instead of focus priority. You used a steady surface, good light and a fast aperture right? What lens did you test with?

Based on what you provided above, I don't believe that you know what you are doing.

 PepsiCan's gear list:PepsiCan's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lock
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,915
Like?
Tell us how you tested.
In reply to SaturnN, Apr 19, 2013

And show us some images of left, center and right sensor.

Lock

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jostian
Senior MemberPosts: 1,455Gear list
Like?
Re: Tell us how you tested.
In reply to lock, Apr 19, 2013

One must also realise that the far left/right focus points are not as 'sensitive' as the centre one(s), I say this cos when I tested the left focus on very uniform patters the focus would be ok, then not etc, but if I used the same focus point and focus on an object with decent contrast and or colour the focus was spot on everytime, so I'm very happy. I think some of the issues people are having with the left focus point is related to the subject and the relative sensitivity of the peripheral sensors vs the centre.

-- hide signature --

Jostian

 Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D750 Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lock
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,915
Like?
This is not the issue with a left/right discrepancy.
In reply to Jostian, Apr 19, 2013

Unless you are considering it a possibility that Nikon consistantly builds in the worst sensors on the left side...

Your argument holds when you find both left and right to be off more often compared to the center sensors. This is not the issue the OP is reporting.

It is worrying that after the D800 disaster, Nikon does not seem to be able to solve the issue in the factory even in a later models. Actually, if I was the managing director of this company I would seriously start to worry. Even if a minority of bodies were affected, this is going to cost Nikon more money on the long end than they are gaining at the short end. This simply means Nikon does not have the financial buffers to solve mistakes, and improve their products.

lock

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SaturnN
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
Re: Start by testing correctly
In reply to PepsiCan, Apr 19, 2013

I tried everything possible, used 5 different lenses, had camera on tripod and good light. The most obvious was this issue with Nikon 35 1.8. I had no issues with right and center points and always with left ones. Then I used my old D90 and there were absolutely no problems. And again, all pictures focused on right or center were ok and none focused on left. I bit too much for an user error don't you think?

I will post some pictures.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PepsiCan
Contributing MemberPosts: 739Gear list
Like?
Re: You're presuming.
In reply to lock, Apr 19, 2013

lock wrote:

is worrying that after the D800 disaster, Nikon does not seem to be able to solve the issue in the factory even in a later models. Actually, if I was the managing director of this company I would seriously start to worry. Even if a minority of bodies were affected, this is going to cost Nikon more money on the long end than they are gaining at the short end. This simply means Nikon does not have the financial buffers to solve mistakes, and improve their products.

lock

Well, that would be assuming that after the D800, other cameras with the same focus module suffered from the same defect. That is not the case.

So far, on DPReview, there have been two posts claiming the "left focus" issue for the D7100. This one and a previous one. In both cases no evidence was submitted or a test procedure explained. If you Google for the left focus issue, I found only hits that point to the D800. There is nothing for any other Nikon camera. In other words, these are both bogus posts meant to stir up more gossip and flame wars.

 PepsiCan's gear list:PepsiCan's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,728
Like?
Re: Nikon D7100 left focus issue
In reply to SaturnN, Apr 19, 2013

Again?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
scokill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,768Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon D7100 left focus issue
In reply to toomanycanons, Apr 19, 2013

toomanycanons wrote:

Again?

Henry the VIII I am...second verse same as the first...

 scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chuvarsky
Regular MemberPosts: 425Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon D7100 left focus issue
In reply to SaturnN, Apr 19, 2013

I did a quick check for left/right focus issues when I was fine tuning my 500mm, which I did at 83 ft.  Left showed sharper than center and right.  It was just the three shots, hardly conclusive.  There are so many variables it would take a lot of testing with various lenses and several of the focus points to draw a definitive conclusion.

What I do know is that I am getting some super sharp pictures with both the 50-500 and the 24-70 in real life.

 Chuvarsky's gear list:Chuvarsky's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rdc13
Regular MemberPosts: 177
Like?
Re: Nikon D7100 left focus issue
In reply to Chuvarsky, Apr 19, 2013

why wait? bring it back to where you got it from and get another. Time is money and if you got a bad product, exchange it for a good one.

I swear, I am the luckiest man around. I have never had any of the problems I keep seeing people complain about.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lock
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,915
Like?
Am I ? Or is it too hard find ?
In reply to PepsiCan, Apr 19, 2013

I read post on various Nikon forums. I therefore know there are more flies on the cake.

Nevertheless, Nikonman09 documented it well. In the same thread, TurboBB also showed pictures, although some could not see it. But it is there alright. Check his full sized pictures in the gallery with the sigma and the Nikon at F3.5. You will see that the lens that focusses widest (the Sigma at 2.8) suffers from a BF, whereas the Nikon 16-85 shows no such problems. So that's two with pictures I know of without searching. Then there is fireplace33. No pictures, but who am I to not trust him not reporting it correctly? We know about Lordbeau, but he did not show samples either. Than we have Gabe7, who returned two D7100. He showed pictures of the second, although he was slated as a newby that did not know what he was doing. According to his tests the third one was ok.

There will be more for sure, but you may have to surch for it. The D7100 isn't going like crazy here. So the numbers of bad bodies may be too limited to create hysteric scenes. However, there are bodies suffering from the same issue the D800 had. Probably a lower percentage (hope so), but it actually should have been solved by now.

lock

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Deleted-pending
Senior MemberPosts: 2,665
Like?
another Troll
In reply to SaturnN, Apr 19, 2013

and moderators will keep saying that he isn't one. The "author" just made a new account to complain about fake issues. Is it a game to bring more traffic in dpreview or just a way to bash Nikon so-that those fake "issues" come up in google when someone is looking to buy a camera ?...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PepsiCan
Contributing MemberPosts: 739Gear list
Like?
...and answer the question
In reply to SaturnN, Apr 19, 2013

"Trying everything" is obviously not an answer to the question. If you want our help, how about you list the following?

- pictures with Exif

- lenses you tested with

- step-by step guide on what you exactly did

At this stage, because you are so evasive about this, I think you're making this up. Proof me wrong by supplying the above and I'll help you and even apologize.

 PepsiCan's gear list:PepsiCan's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PepsiCan
Contributing MemberPosts: 739Gear list
Like?
No, you just don't know what a camera focus problem looks like
In reply to lock, Apr 19, 2013

So, the Sigma did not focus but the Nikon 16-85 did? And that is a camera problem?!??

No! That is a Sigma lens problem. You're complaining to the wrong manufacturer.

 PepsiCan's gear list:PepsiCan's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PepsiCan
Contributing MemberPosts: 739Gear list
Like?
Re: Yep! Troll alert.
In reply to Deleted-pending, Apr 19, 2013

FTH wrote:

and moderators will keep saying that he isn't one. The "author" just made a new account to complain about fake issues. Is it a game to bring more traffic in dpreview or just a way to bash Nikon so-that those fake "issues" come up in google when someone is looking to buy a camera ?...

Time to close the thread. No pics, no evidence, evasive behavior by the OP to post evidence with Exif.

 PepsiCan's gear list:PepsiCan's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 16,230
Like?
No reason
In reply to PepsiCan, Apr 19, 2013

PepsiCan wrote:

FTH wrote:

and moderators will keep saying that he isn't one. The "author" just made a new account to complain about fake issues. Is it a game to bring more traffic in dpreview or just a way to bash Nikon so-that those fake "issues" come up in google when someone is looking to buy a camera ?...

Time to close the thread. No pics, no evidence, evasive behavior by the OP to post evidence with Exif.

No reason to close any thread. There are lemons in all makes and models. Both lens and camera. No rules are broken, as yet, and discussions can follow.  He may not be what he seems...but the welcome mat stays out till proof otherwise. That said, The d7100 seems to be pretty solid a role out to this point. Only a very few outliers like this so far. In this case, we seem to have a lens issue that the pixel density of 24mp in APS-c has brought to light.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Deleted-pending
Senior MemberPosts: 2,665
Like?
Re: No reason
In reply to Mako2011, Apr 19, 2013

Mako2011 wrote:

PepsiCan wrote:

FTH wrote:

and moderators will keep saying that he isn't one. The "author" just made a new account to complain about fake issues. Is it a game to bring more traffic in dpreview or just a way to bash Nikon so-that those fake "issues" come up in google when someone is looking to buy a camera ?...

Time to close the thread. No pics, no evidence, evasive behavior by the OP to post evidence with Exif.

No reason to close any thread. There are lemons in all makes and models. Both lens and camera. No rules are broken, as yet, and discussions can follow.  He may not be what he seems...but the welcome mat stays out till proof otherwise. That said, The d7100 seems to be pretty solid a role out to this point. Only a very few outliers like this so far. In this case, we seem to have a lens issue that the pixel density of 24mp in APS-c has brought to light.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Dear Mako, with all due respect, you should seriously investigate more on those "NEW MEMBER/TROLLS FAKE ISSUE POSTERS" - what other evidence do you exactly need to realize that those magical new members create accounts to bash a brand with obvious thread subjects sot-hat any person who looks for D7100 issues on google is brought here.

Magically, those new members never or rarely post a single answer and disappear right after.

If your job is to moderate those forums, you should really start investigating more, unless Dpreview actually supports such "activities" to boost their traffic.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
fireplace33
Senior MemberPosts: 1,500Gear list
Like?
Re: Am I ? Or is it too hard find ?
In reply to lock, Apr 19, 2013

lock wrote:

I read post on various Nikon forums. I therefore know there are more flies on the cake.

Nevertheless, Nikonman09 documented it well. In the same thread, TurboBB also showed pictures, although some could not see it. But it is there alright. Check his full sized pictures in the gallery with the sigma and the Nikon at F3.5. You will see that the lens that focusses widest (the Sigma at 2.8) suffers from a BF, whereas the Nikon 16-85 shows no such problems. So that's two with pictures I know of without searching. Then there is fireplace33. No pictures, but who am I to not trust him not reporting it correctly? We know about Lordbeau, but he did not show samples either. Than we have Gabe7, who returned two D7100. He showed pictures of the second, although he was slated as a newby that did not know what he was doing. According to his tests the third one was ok.

There will be more for sure, but you may have to surch for it. The D7100 isn't going like crazy here. So the numbers of bad bodies may be too limited to create hysteric scenes. However, there are bodies suffering from the same issue the D800 had. Probably a lower percentage (hope so), but it actually should have been solved by now.

lock

Thanks lock,  for your implied trust!
My report was made in good faith.

I didn't post images, because of the effort needed to prepare such a detailed report and then make posts back and forth to "prove" that I did it right and possibly even then suffer the onslaught of objections. But I will make the effort in this case and post some images a bit later.  Please be a bit patient. It's raining this weekend so maybe I'll get a chance.

 fireplace33's gear list:fireplace33's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 16,230
Like?
Worry not
In reply to Deleted-pending, Apr 19, 2013

FTH wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

PepsiCan wrote:

FTH wrote:

and moderators will keep saying that he isn't one. The "author" just made a new account to complain about fake issues. Is it a game to bring more traffic in dpreview or just a way to bash Nikon so-that those fake "issues" come up in google when someone is looking to buy a camera ?...

Time to close the thread. No pics, no evidence, evasive behavior by the OP to post evidence with Exif.

No reason to close any thread. There are lemons in all makes and models. Both lens and camera. No rules are broken, as yet, and discussions can follow.  He may not be what he seems...but the welcome mat stays out till proof otherwise. That said, The d7100 seems to be pretty solid a role out to this point. Only a very few outliers like this so far. In this case, we seem to have a lens issue that the pixel density of 24mp in APS-c has brought to light.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Dear Mako, with all due respect, you should seriously investigate more on those "NEW MEMBER/TROLLS FAKE ISSUE POSTERS" - what other evidence do you exactly need to realize that those magical new members create accounts to bash a brand with obvious thread subjects sot-hat any person who looks for D7100 issues on google is brought here.

There is quite a bit that goes on in the background unseen by the normal member. Rest assured, your concerns are being addressed. No reason not to let this thread continue. You raise valid points. So do others. That's appreciated.

Magically, those new members never or rarely post a single answer and disappear right after.

Nothing wrong with that at all....As long as they are civil and raise a good question for discussion.

If your job is to moderate those forums, you should really start investigating more, unless Dpreview actually supports such "activities" to boost their traffic.

We all make assumptions that aren't accurate. That's is just normal human nature. Worry not. I run the risk of breaking the rules my self...I'll leave it at that.  Thank you and good Luck.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads