So who's migrated from a NEX?

Started Apr 19, 2013 | Discussions
simoru
Regular MemberPosts: 422
Like?
So who's migrated from a NEX?
Apr 19, 2013

.... and why?

I currently shoot with [a museum piece really] - a Konica Minolta 7D.    The natural upgrade path is to the Sony SLT range.   But I'm getting tired of lugging around a huge bag of gear...   Then I looked at the NEX series.... and then I found the X series... both great camera ranges but quite unique in their fields too.

Curious to know who else is either on, or been on the same journey as me.

I found one place that has the XE1 with 35mm for $1195 [Aussie] - tempting, but can't help feel that an X Pro 2 is just around the corner.

Cheers,
Simon

Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
9000AF
Contributing MemberPosts: 553Gear list
Like?
Re: So who's migrated from a NEX?
In reply to simoru, Apr 19, 2013

I had the NEX5, later 5N and switched to the X-E1 with the 18-55 and 35mm lenses instead of going for the NEX6 which would have been the logical alternative.

Personally I see 3 major reasons for the X-E1 vs. the NEX6:

+ Lenses, no comparable quality native AF lenses from Sony to the kit I have for Fuji, not even close

+ Film camera UI, if you like the KM 7D you'll love the X-E1

+ JPEG quality and looks, no PP needed, just what I want for a travel camera

- video

- no articulated LCD

NEX6:

+ much better video camera

+ more low/medium priced native lenses

+ A-mount adapters w/ full electronic support (buying a cheap A35 or A37 body gives you much better ergonomics)

+ articulated LCD

- I do not like the NEX menu system

- so far only one great but highly priced lens, the 24mm f/1.8

- OOC jpegs not as good as Fuji

I think the X-E1 is the more satisfying camera for more experienced photographers. I still keep my SLT for the longer lenses and quick action.

9000AF's gear list:9000AF's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha 7 Sony SLT-A77
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,621Gear list
Like?

simoru wrote:

.... and why?

I currently shoot with [a museum piece really] - a Konica Minolta 7D.    The natural upgrade path is to the Sony SLT range.   But I'm getting tired of lugging around a huge bag of gear...   Then I looked at the NEX series.... and then I found the X series... both great camera ranges but quite unique in their fields too.

I found one place that has the XE1 with 35mm for $1195 [Aussie] - tempting, but can't help feel that an X Pro 2 is just around the corner.

Cheers,
Simon

Hi there,

I had a NEX-7 (before that I had a NEX-5N and 5). To be honest with you the NEX cameras are good in their own way but their menus are a bit more like a compact (not good), they have fewer physical buttons and the lenses aren't really up to the standards of the Fuji equivalents. The Zeiss 24 is OK, my favourite lens was the (cheap) Sigma 30mm (which is excellent), but all the others I tried were a bit so-so. On the 7, the resolution was good but the higher ISOs weren't great and the colours weren't to my liking.

I sold my NEX-7 to concentrate on my X-Pro1.

In terms of upgrades I think there is talk of a new X-Pro in Q4

Best

Simon

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Leica M Typ 240 Nikon Df Nikon D810
MiWo
Regular MemberPosts: 450Gear list
Like?

I went from a NEX-5n to the Fuji X-E1 and I don't regret it!

Both have their up and down sides. The NEX was generally more responsive and even after the latest firmware, I feel the Fuji AF is still behind the now 3-year-old Sony. The screen on the NEX was miles better than the one on the Fuji and it being articulated was really useful. Also, I've bought the external EVF for the Sony and it was less laggy than the one on the Fuji, although they share the same tech.

The Sony EVF also shoved much punchier colors, making the dissapointment with Sony's JPEG even worse... With the NEX I shot every single photo in RAW and edited it in LR. With the Fuji I shoot almost JPEG only and LR I use mostly for to cropping and other small edits. On the other hand what LR delivered with Sony's RAWs was uncredible, you could change almost anything with few visible artifacts. With Fuji files, even the newest version of LR, doesn't offer much over JPEGs in my feel.

Technically the NEXes are great but I just didn't connect. The menus are terrible and changing any setting is a bother. The lenses are hum-hum, apart from the Zeiss, which in turn is too expensive for what it is (especially compared to Fuji's primes ...or the X100). I haven't tried out the newer 35mm and UWA so can't speak to them. Both Sigmas are also nice but the AF was buggy at times.

In comparison I love the Fuji's handling. The aperture ring on the lens, the shutter speed and exposure compensation buttons (it would be nicer though if the last mentioned was a bit stiffer). The Q menu is just great as it remembers were you left off, so can function kind of like a second FN-button. For my hands the Fuji fits better also.

The Fuji lenses are great. I only tried out three so far – the 35/1.4 and 18-55/2.8-4 which I one as well as the 14/2.8 – but all were simply marvellous.

The JPEGs are amazing also. If I don’t screw up the exposure (or the whole picture as such, of course), there’s hardly anything to be edited.

I think it really comes down to what your personal preferences are. If you want quick, high-tech blows and whistles and a true all-rounder you’re better off with the Sony. If you want a comfortable, easy handling, stills-only camera that doesn’t have you thinking about itself and all the editing waiting when you get back home, the Fuji is far superior. I’m not a pro, photography is a hobby. I don’t have to get every shot but I want to like the experience – that’s why the Fuji is my pick.

I don’t know how to put it better, but when I had the Sony and saw a photo opportunity my first thought was to put the camera to my eye. With the Fuji the camera is already up to my eye before I can think of it

Good luck with your decision!

Mike

MiWo's gear list:MiWo's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-M1 Samyang 12mm 1:2.0 NCS CS Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4 +1 more
mmbn
Regular MemberPosts: 169Gear list
Like?
In reply to 9000AF, Apr 19, 2013

+1

Had the NEX5 too but switched to X-E1 (reasons: lenses+handling)

Also kept my D200 for action/teleshooting.

mmbn's gear list:mmbn's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D200
simoru
Like?
In reply to MiWo, Apr 19, 2013

Thanks everyone for your well thought out and courteous responses.    I think I'll get the Fuji as a traveller, and whatever FF Sony SLR/T they come out with in the next year or so for my bigger lenses.

(I can't bear to part with my Minolta 70-200 f2.8 APO G - its a tank, but makes amazing images).

The next decision is whether to get the XE1 now, or wait a few months for the next X Pro?!

Cheers
Simon

liquid stereo
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,018Gear list
Like?
Yes and no

simoru wrote:

.... and why?

Cheers,
Simon

Though I still have some A-mount gear, I hardly ever use it. After the KM 7D, I went to the A700 and A850. They were excellent cams and the G and CZ lenses are truly excellent. Two years ago I decided to get a small cam due to the bulk you refer to.

I purchased a NEX-5. That lasted a short while as the then-available lenses 18-55 and 16/2.8 were horrible. The UI wasn't great either. I then picked up a X100. Optical perfection with some operational quirkiness. Some 8 months later I decided to re-think my system/equipment. Instead of having one mount to meet all needs I decided to get one system for my sports/wildlife shooting and another for all else.

Solution: Canon 7D + L lenses (I rent locally) and X-Pro1 (with 18/2 and 35/1.4). I love the X-Pro1 and the OVF-EVF. I don't know how I would feel with an EVF-only camera. But the X-cams are truly great. The high ISO performance is second only to the latest generation full-frame cameras. At low ISO, they're quite decent.

Enjoy!

p.s. The AF performance is not great.

liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +6 more
Gary H
Senior MemberPosts: 1,739Gear list
Like?

Your idea of holding out for a FF Sony NEX is a good one.

I've a NEX-6, NEX-7 and X100 & 's'.  The NEX-7 is a really good camera that outresolves the X100s.  I agree that Fuji has better menus, but the NEX-7 tri-navi is really good and allows full manual control.  I purchased the '7' and cancelled the Xpro-1 and three lenses.  I must disagree regarding the Zeiss 24mm.  This is a fine lens which outresolves my X100s, even on a NEX-6.  I agree that the Sigma 30mm is a very nice inexpensive lens.  I would not buy the Fuji until they have focus peaking.  The lack of focus peaking and the poor video is what made me decide to get the Sony.  These cameras should move to the next generation in the next four months, or so.  It should be interesting as to how things sort out.  Also, the new Zeiss lenses and some additional Sony offerings should make Sony more competitive.

Gary H's gear list:Gary H's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7 +10 more
liquid stereo
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,018Gear list
Like?
Minolta gems

simoru wrote:

Thanks everyone for your well thought out and courteous responses.    I think I'll get the Fuji as a traveller, and whatever FF Sony SLR/T they come out with in the next year or so for my bigger lenses.

(I can't bear to part with my Minolta 70-200 f2.8 APO G - its a tank, but makes amazing images).

The next decision is whether to get the XE1 now, or wait a few months for the next X Pro?!

Cheers
Simon

I felt that way about my Minolta 200/2.8 APO G (HS) and the CZ 85/1.4.  Personally I would wait. The performance increase should be substantial.

liquid stereo's gear list:liquid stereo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +6 more
David McGaughey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,245
Like?
I switched from a Nex7

Long story: http://www.dmcgaughey.com/2012/10/07/another-camera-for-2012/

Short story: The lenses were mediocre (a bit less so now). I really disliked the EVF. The controls were awkward. So I bought a X-Pro1. I'm mostly happy - just wish the AF was snappier (though I will be saying this until it's as fast as a Canon 1-series) and Fuji would pump the new lenses out faster.

I'm of the opinion that while EVFs are very useful, they are not nearly as pleasing/comfortable to look through as a OVF. Hopefully this will change over the next few years.

Joachim Gerstl
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,443Gear list
Like?

I did and here is what I wrote about it. When I wrote it I was ready to get the NEX 6 but decided for the X Pro-1 instead. Glad I did mostly because of the lenses.

http://www.littlebigtravelingcamera.com/?p=755

http://www.littlebigtravelingcamera.com/?p=767

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +17 more
jcharding
Senior MemberPosts: 2,026Gear list
Like?

Its been a long time since I used it, but I too once used a KM7D.  In many ways still my favorite DSLR.  And although I never had a 70-200 G, I did have the 80-200.  One of my favorite lenses ever, and Sony's refusal to repair it led to my setting aside the 7D and selling my A700.

It is my understanding that the Minolta team residing within Sony had virtually nothing to do with the NEX, which I guess based on form factor alone is completely unsurprising.  I think this tidbit though underscores that there is still a schism within Sony on how to approach photographic products.  Some will appeal to a longtime Minolta user, others are not.  I suspect the NEX series will trouble your photographic soul.  I suspect the old-school Fuji approach to photography will appeal.

I would not wait for an XPro2 - it may be months (perhaps a year) until one arrives and can be purchased.  I don't know if you can physically touch either camera, but try to hunt one down - particularly a NEX as I suspect that it will be easier to find one to play with.

-- hide signature --
 jcharding's gear list:jcharding's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +10 more
Bebrox
Contributing MemberPosts: 610Gear list
Like?
In reply to jcharding, Apr 19, 2013

I sold my;

NEX-5N

• Sony 50mm 1.8 OSS
  • Sigma 30mm 2.8  DX 
  • Sony 16mm 2.8
  • Canon 85mm 1.8 Fdn
  • FDA EV1S View finder

and bought a Black LE 100X which is my main camera.

I liked the NEX and found that I always leaned towards the Sigma 30mm 2.8 for its focal length. I realised that I could easily live with the 35mm equivalent focal length of the superb Fuji 100X. I haven't looked back as I don't have to carry so many choices in my bag. I prefer the documentary style shots I take with the 100X and especially the f2.0 lens and film-like quality of the output.

Lawliet
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Re: I switched from a Nex7
In reply to David McGaughey, Apr 19, 2013

Had the NEX7 then got the NEX6. Now have a Fuji X E1.

NEX6 is an awesome camera from a pure Performance and feature standpoint. However, taking still images almost feel like an afterthought.

Menus are cluttered and confusing. How the buttons operate sometimes makes no sense. Prime lenses are very weak. and finally. Sony doesn't really seem to support their products after launch.

i got my xe1 a few days ago and already shot a few hundred pictures. It's a real "photographer's camera"

simoru
Like?
In reply to Gary H, Apr 20, 2013

Gary H wrote:

Your idea of holding out for a FF Sony NEX is a good one.

I've a NEX-6, NEX-7 and X100 & 's'.  The NEX-7 is a really good camera that outresolves the X100s.  I agree that Fuji has better menus, but the NEX-7 tri-navi is really good and allows full manual control.  I purchased the '7' and cancelled the Xpro-1 and three lenses.  I must disagree regarding the Zeiss 24mm.  This is a fine lens which outresolves my X100s, even on a NEX-6.  I agree that the Sigma 30mm is a very nice inexpensive lens.  I would not buy the Fuji until they have focus peaking.  The lack of focus peaking and the poor video is what made me decide to get the Sony.  These cameras should move to the next generation in the next four months, or so.  It should be interesting as to how things sort out.  Also, the new Zeiss lenses and some additional Sony offerings should make Sony more competitive.

I do think focus peaking would be a great thing to have - never used it, but can imagine it would be quite helpful to absolutely nail focus.

As for video, my current DSLR doesn't take it, so even if it did a half decent job, that's fine for me - I'm more interested in still images anyway.

Thanks for your input Gary.

simoru
Like?
In reply to jcharding, Apr 20, 2013

jcharding wrote:

Its been a long time since I used it, but I too once used a KM7D.  In many ways still my favorite DSLR.  And although I never had a 70-200 G, I did have the 80-200.  One of my favorite lenses ever, and Sony's refusal to repair it led to my setting aside the 7D and selling my A700.

It is my understanding that the Minolta team residing within Sony had virtually nothing to do with the NEX, which I guess based on form factor alone is completely unsurprising.  I think this tidbit though underscores that there is still a schism within Sony on how to approach photographic products.  Some will appeal to a longtime Minolta user, others are not.  I suspect the NEX series will trouble your photographic soul.  I suspect the old-school Fuji approach to photography will appeal.

I would not wait for an XPro2 - it may be months (perhaps a year) until one arrives and can be purchased.  I don't know if you can physically touch either camera, but try to hunt one down - particularly a NEX as I suspect that it will be easier to find one to play with.

-- hide signature --

Interesting comment about the Fuji appealing to my photographic soul... thinking about how I've shot all these years with the KM7D, very rarely have I ever had to delve into the menus - I sense the Fuji would be very much the same.

Thanks for your feedback.

Simon

David V
Contributing MemberPosts: 986Gear list
Like?
In reply to simoru, Apr 20, 2013

simoru wrote:

.... and why?

Cheers,
Simon

I have owned a 5, a 5N and a 7 briefly along with various lenses (inckuding the Zeiss 24/1.8) and accessories.  I loved everything about the system except for one key thing.  The native lenses.  They are mediocre at best and Sony has done a terrible job in developing the lens lineup for this system.

Even the Zeiss 24/1.8 is only very good and not excellent (by Zeiss standards).  The Fuji lenses in comparison are miles ahead of anything Sony has done with the NEX system, in my opinion, which is what really makes the difference for me.  The one added benefit, is that I enjoy shooting the Fuji bodies better, though I did not dislike shooting the NEX bodies like many others do.

I think the Fuji lens roadmap is going to fill in the gaps beautifully to make a really great system, especially as the bodies continue to evolve.  It does not completely replace my Nikon D800 with pro glass, but it covers 85% of what I shoot.  So much so, that I have started to pair down my collection of Nikon glass to only what I will be shooting with the DSLR system moving forward.  That's a big move for me.

I still have the 5N, because one thing that the Sony does very well is video.  I don't do long captures, so the overheating thing is not an issue for me (but is a very real issue).  I do small clips of the kid's events with it and it's fine for that.  I might sell the Sony and get an inexpensive HD video camera at some point, but for now the 5N does the job I need.

David V's gear list:David V's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +6 more
Ken Davies
Regular MemberPosts: 142
Like?

All my NEX stuff is on ebay. Sony makes excellent machines by it all feels a bit soulless. Best way I can put it is I'd use the Sony to take a photo, I use the Fuji's because I want to use the camera.

Kenvyn Davies
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kendavies/

HeavyDuty
Senior MemberPosts: 1,120Gear list
Like?

My mirrorless kit is an NEX-7 with various AF and MF lenses.  I'm happy with it, but when it comes time to replace it I'm very likely to look at the current generation of what is now the X-E1 due to the Fuji's more traditional controls.  However, I'm not a serial system changer, so (barring catastrophe) it's unlikely to happen any time soon.

I am considering an X100S for a walkaround to supplement my NEX-7 (and Leica, for that matter), but I'm shallow - I'll wait until they come out with it in black.  I'm renting one for a week next month to see how I like it.

-- hide signature --

Ken in Illinois
Railroad Action: http://www.pbase.com/kjford
Candids: http://www.pbase.com/kjford/other

Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,901
Like?
In reply to 9000AF, Apr 20, 2013

9000AF wrote:

+ Lenses, no comparable quality native AF lenses from Sony to the kit I have for Fuji, not even close

- so far only one great but highly priced lens, the 24mm f/1.8

I think your comparison is fair and balanced for the most part but I consider the above comments inaccurate.   In addition to the 24 f1.8, the 10-18 f4, 35 f1.8, and 50 f1.8 (all stabilized) are very good.   The 10-18 f4 and 50 f1.8 are not only good but both offer something you can't get with Fuji yet.    You may find your Fuji lens lineup better or at least better for you but your comments distort the picture a bit much IMO.  It seems like many of the comments regarding the e mount lenses are based on experience with e mount from a year or more ago and some of the best lenses (except for 24 f1.8) are all fairly new.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads