Fuji 55-200: MTF Chart and Samples

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,377Gear list
Like?
Fuji 55-200: MTF Chart and Samples
Apr 18, 2013

Below is the MTF chart of the Fuji 55-200mm lens. The chart looks pretty good but the samples on the fuji site  are nothing special - but then again they never are. One of the cats looks like the same one from my XE1 brochure for the 35mm, and the other is similar to a cat on the website for images of the 18-55. What's up the Fuji and cats!!!

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujinon_lens_xf55_200mmf35_48_r_lm_ois/

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 3,528Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji 55-200: MTF Chart and Samples
In reply to Al Valentino, Apr 19, 2013

Al Valentino wrote:

Below is the MTF chart of the Fuji 55-200mm lens. The chart looks pretty good but the samples on the fuji site  are nothing special - but then again they never are. One of the cats looks like the same one from my XE1 brochure for the 35mm, and the other is similar to a cat on the website for images of the 18-55. What's up the Fuji and cats!!!

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujinon_lens_xf55_200mmf35_48_r_lm_ois/

I guess Fuji has found many users buying Fuji cameras specifically to take pictures of their cats.  It's a gold mine in my case...I'm always looking for an excuse to post my cat photos.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Al Valentino
Like?
In reply to Tom Schum, Apr 19, 2013

Tom Schum wrote:

Al Valentino wrote:

I guess Fuji has found many users buying Fuji cameras specifically to take pictures of their cats.  It's a gold mine in my case...I'm always looking for an excuse to post my cat photos.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

I'm a dog man myself, mans best friend, loyal.... Cats are difficult And go their own way. That said, your cat pictures look better than the Fuji cats.

Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
David McGaughey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,245
Like?
Better at telephoto than wide?

If true, that's good. This lens should be far better than the Sony Nex 55-210. Though that's a low bar to clear.

Do we have any idea what aperture the MTF were calculate at?

Al Valentino
Like?
Re: Better at telephoto than wide?
In reply to David McGaughey, Apr 19, 2013

David McGaughey wrote:

Do we have any idea what aperture the MTF were calculate at?

MTF is usually for the lens wide open.

baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,952Gear list
Like?

and that could explain better MTF chart at 4.8 than 3.5 ??

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
baobob
Like?

Al Valentino wrote:

the shot with the boat is really pardoxical....

shooting in haze and condition to create flare and complete lack of contrast is really conter productive to test a lens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
baobob
Like?
In reply to Tom Schum, Apr 19, 2013

your sandals are much more photogenic If  I may 

-- hide signature --

Al Valentino
Like?
In reply to baobob, Apr 19, 2013

baobob wrote:

and that could explain better MTF chart at 4.8 than 3.5 ??

4.8 is the lens at the long end, 3.5 is at the wide, 55mm end. Many telezooms go soft at the longest focal length. Even the fuji 18-55 is softer at 55 than at 18.

Al Valentino
Like?

baobob wrote:

Al Valentino wrote:

the shot with the boat is really pardoxical....

shooting in haze and condition to create flare and complete lack of contrast is really conter productive to test a lens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the shot of the highway is interesting, NO cars along that compressed but relatively long road. That certainly does not happen where I live in New Jersey!

1drey
Senior MemberPosts: 1,230Gear list
Like?

Wow! Fuji cat has big balls! He must be dangerous when not sleeping.

Seriously - great graphs and nice samples. Make me want this lens even stronger.

-- hide signature --
 1drey's gear list:1drey's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +2 more
baobob
Like?

but precisely it seems it goes the other way round ??

-- hide signature --

baobob
Like?

but anyway the charts seem excellent

sandwich during summer holidays contemplating in the living room this beautiful lens ...

A fantastic perspective...

-- hide signature --

Al Valentino
Like?

baobob wrote:

but precisely it seems it goes the other way round ??

-- hide signature --

As much as I hate to use cats as an example, the cat at 55mm looks better than at 175mm. But that is not fair since the 55mm cat has the lens stopped down much more than at 175. A better test would show more test shots wide open. But i personally do not judge the lens by those shots. But I do judge a lens by the sharpest result since that result represents the lens more so than technique.

Anyway, i will wait for reviews. The shots at fuji  from the other day of those horse are incredibly sharp but also look like they were worked and not SOOC.

bestbyte
Regular MemberPosts: 155Gear list
Like?
In reply to 1drey, Apr 19, 2013

1drey wrote:

Wow! Fuji cat has big balls! He must be dangerous when not sleeping.

Seriously - great graphs and nice samples. Make me want this lens even stronger.

-- hide signature --

Moscow VR blog - http://1drey.wordpress.com

Wow!! and how did you get all your attention drawn to the BALLS? .... He must have fathered loads of kittens in the neighbourhood considering the size of his balls!! 

Al Valentino
Like?

To put this in perspective, below is a the MTF charts for the Fuji 18-55. My take is that if you liked the 18-55 then you will love the 55-200 (above)

MTF for Fuji 18-55 zoom

David McGaughey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,245
Like?
Can't really compare two lenses like that

We have no idea if the testing methodology changes.

I'm mostly excited that it appears to be optimized to be sharp at the telephoto end, since so many telephotos are the opposite. That's a wise move since that's where most people will use the lens. Perhaps this is a (small) reason why this lens is so heavy.

baobob
Like?

Yes!

It is well known that it's easier to design a tele zoom than a trans standard zoom

My Canon 70-200mm f 4 L IS is just stellar all apertures all focal lengths incredible !!

I guess the Fuji will be on par...

-- hide signature --

baobob
Like?
Re: Can't really compare two lenses like that
In reply to David McGaughey, Apr 19, 2013

My Canon 70-200mm f4 L IS is rather light

But it's an internal zoom which means it's long (200mm)

The Fuji uses extension tubes and to get some rigidity it finally gets rather heavy that's the price to pay for optical+mechanical quality and reliability

-- hide signature --

Joachim Gerstl
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,444Gear list
Like?

New zoom lenses are optimized for their most used setting. My 24-70 Canon is best at 24. My Canon 70-200 is best at 200.

I'm glad that a tele zoom is best at it's tele setting and a wide angle zoom is best at it's widest setting.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads