Anyone know of a trusty lens cap holder?

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Questions
robertorinehart
Contributing MemberPosts: 551
Like?
Anyone know of a trusty lens cap holder?
Apr 18, 2013

I keep misplacing my lens cap and end up finding it somewhere ridiculous. One time in the damn fridge. I was wondering if there's a strap out there that has a convenient lens cap holder. Hopefully on the cheap.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Paul Farace
Contributing MemberPosts: 747Gear list
Like?
Yes, don't use one! Or keep it in the bag...
In reply to robertorinehart, Apr 19, 2013

I keep multicoated clear filters on my lenses to keep them safe. My caps always end up in the bottom of the bag, in a shirt pocket, etc. using a leash is soooo amature... like permanently using over-hand focusing or a tapestry wide strap.

-- hide signature --

Holding a camera, any camera, reduces my blood pressure, calms my nerves, and gives me a sense of opportunity!

Paul Farace's gear list:Paul Farace's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Fujifilm X-Pro1 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim Parsons
Contributing MemberPosts: 752
Like?
Re: Anyone know of a trusty lens cap holder?

I keep them in my left front pants pocket. Cap off the lens- in the pocket. Out of the pocket-on the lens.  Each.  And. Every. Time.  Haven't lost one yet. Errr... haven't misplaced one yet.   

-- hide signature --

Jim Parsons

robertorinehart
Contributing MemberPosts: 551
Like?

Oh okay I guess I'll have come up with a great mnemonic phrase, so I can remember where I place it all the time. Or get the filters. But thanks guys.

Osvaldo Cristo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,532Gear list
Like?
Your troussers´ left pocket

Your troussers´ left pocket, at last for me it works with my own pocket...

Regards,

-- hide signature --

O.Cristo - An Amateur Photographer
Opinions of men are almost as various as their faces - so many men so many minds. B. Franklin

Peter A. Stavrakoglou
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,445Gear list
Like?
Re: Your troussers´ left pocket
In reply to Osvaldo Cristo, Apr 20, 2013

Osvaldo Cristo wrote:

Your troussers´ left pocket, at last for me it works with my own pocket...

Regards,

-- hide signature --

O.Cristo - An Amateur Photographer
Opinions of men are almost as various as their faces - so many men so many minds. B. Franklin

I'm left-handed, maybe that's why I keep mine in the front right pocket.  Or is it because I keep my mobile phone in the left pocket?

-- hide signature --

My humble photo gallery: http://www.pete-the-greek.com

Peter A. Stavrakoglou's gear list:Peter A. Stavrakoglou's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sigma SD15 Canon EOS 7D Sigma SD1 Merrill +16 more
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,823Gear list
Like?
In reply to robertorinehart, Apr 20, 2013

robertorinehart wrote:

Oh okay I guess I'll have come up with a great mnemonic phrase, so I can remember where I place it all the time. Or get the filters. But thanks guys.

Just remember that any filter will slightly decrease the sharpness of your images. The decrease in sharpness is small for a good quality clean filter, but it is there.  I don't recommend a filter except:

If light strikes the lens directly a filter will dramatically increase lens flare.  In fact, I add a clear "protective" filter if I want lens flare in an image.

A filter will protect the front element of your lens if you are working in a dusty environment.  If you are shooting at the beach or in a desert then a protective filter is a good idea.

Under normal shooting conditions using the lens hood is the best way to protect your lens, not a filter.  I keep my lens hood on indoors and out since I know it not only helps reduce lens flare it just might protect my lens from a hard knock or even if it is dropped.  I would much rather have a lens hood knocked off or bent than have a broken lens.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
jjacoberger
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
In reply to robertorinehart, Apr 23, 2013

I got a Cap Gorilla.  It attaches to the strap and hold any cap size up to 105mm very securely.

http://www.amazon.com/Cap-Gorilla-Camera-Lens-Holder/dp/B009UW7IVS

-John

valkerie
Regular MemberPosts: 285Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jim Parsons, Apr 23, 2013

Jim Parsons wrote:

I keep them in my left front pants pocket. Cap off the lens- in the pocket. Out of the pocket-on the lens.  Each.  And. Every. Time.  Haven't lost one yet. Errr... haven't misplaced one yet.   

-- hide signature --

Jim Parsons

same here . . when the cap comes off , it goes into my left front pocket .. the one time I couldn't find the cap it drove me nuts .. then I stopped to think , NOW I then went to the washing machine and stopped it to check the left front pocket of all the pants in the washer , and there it was ..................

valkerie's gear list:valkerie's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +5 more
scorrpio
Senior MemberPosts: 2,991
Like?
In reply to robertorinehart, Apr 23, 2013

Sensei CapKeeper  leash $3 from B&H.   Elastic band goes on the lens barrel, adhesive disk goes on the cap.    All my caps are center-pinch.   All lenses are used with hoods.   Each lens has its own cap leash.

I also take some adhesive-backed velcro.   The 'prickly' part goes on the bottom portion of the hood.   The fuzzy part goes on the lens cap.   If I need to bring camera into action rapidly, I poke at the cap with my left thumb as I lift the camera, and just let the cap drop on its leash.   Then, whenever convenient, I stick the cap to the hood with velcro.   With cap always right next to the lens front, it goes straight back on when I don't expect to shoot for a while.

Don't care if this looks 'amateur'.  It's blasted convenient.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads