Comparing OM-D/prime with X100S

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions
astone
Regular MemberPosts: 391Gear list
Like?
Comparing OM-D/prime with X100S
Apr 18, 2013

I’ve decided to start a new thread. I have 2 cameras: OM-D (E-M5) equipped with Lumux 1.7/20 and X100S.  Conducted a quick test to verify close expositions. These shots were taken outside with no direct sun. Just for your judgment.

-- hide signature --

ABS

astone's gear list:astone's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus E-M1 Sony a6000 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +4 more
Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,312Gear list
Like?
Re: Comparing OM-D/prime with X100S
In reply to astone, Apr 18, 2013

Have to think a bit more on this. The X100s is it over exposed, is the OMD shot underexposed.

The table top looks like the exposure is the same.

Its almost like a personal preference choice.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DonSantos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,123Gear list
Like?

You forgot to turn off the flash on the x100s...

DonSantos's gear list:DonSantos's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +2 more
BillyInya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,382Gear list
Like?

I have to admit I can't see the point in posting images that were taken using such vastly different settings.

Take some more, but don't use flash on the x100S and make sure ISO, aperture and speed are the same on both cams then you are more likely to get some nice constructive comments.

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
Rob13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,116Gear list
Like?
In reply to DonSantos, Apr 18, 2013

DonSantos wrote:

You forgot to turn off the flash on the x100s...

Flash?  Or is it the metering "spot" or "evaluative" that's causing the exposure differences?

-- hide signature --

Best,
Rob
------------------------------------
R3A M7 M9 X-Pro1 E-M5 X100 DP2

Rob13's gear list:Rob13's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Samsung Galaxy S4 Sony Xperia ZR
BobsYourUncle
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,544Gear list
Like?
Astone, try again...

...as others have noted your x100s' flash fired (exif confirmation).  Make sure it is set to off and retry.  We will be interested in the result.

Bob

BobsYourUncle's gear list:BobsYourUncle's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +6 more
PJInTheUSA
Regular MemberPosts: 208
Like?
Re: Astone, try again...
In reply to BobsYourUncle, Apr 19, 2013

Also take them at the same time - if the date/time is correct there is an hour between these shots.

astone
Like?
Re: Astone, try again...
In reply to PJInTheUSA, Apr 19, 2013

The time is the same.  OM-D was set wrong (1 hour earlier) - day time saving change. I will re-post new images with no flash.

-- hide signature --

ABS

Fujifilm X100S Olympus E-M1 Sony a6000 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +4 more
astone
Like?
In reply to astone, Apr 19, 2013

I hope I did it right this time.  Again, images were taken at the same time, may be with 5 min difference. No post processing. No flash was fired this time.

ABS

astone
Like?

No, it is not good.  I have to redo all of them tomorrow at the day time.

-- hide signature --

ABS

BillyInya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,382Gear list
Like?

On a tripod, manually set the ISO and aperture to be exactly the same on both cams and let the cam set the speed in case they meter slightly differently. Easy.

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
pavi1
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,329Gear list
Like?
In reply to BillyInya, Apr 19, 2013

BillyInya wrote:

On a tripod, manually set the ISO and aperture to be exactly the same on both cams and let the cam set the speed in case they meter slightly differently. Easy.

Set shutter , aperture and iso the same in case the operator does not know how to meter the scene exactly the same with both cameras. And not to be rude, but there is evidence that this is true.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

intruder61
Senior MemberPosts: 2,721Gear list
Like?
for what its worth...
In reply to pavi1, Apr 19, 2013

.....half a dozen of one, six of another.

knowmostofit
Regular MemberPosts: 132
Like?
Re: for what its worth...
In reply to intruder61, Apr 19, 2013

Why not take a pic of a brick wall, now that really would be interesting; we could count the bricks and see how many were sharp.

Seriously though, what's the point of exercises like this? They're different cameras, are you surprised they don't look quite the same - especially if flash is used on one and not the other!

A pointless exercise.

astone
Like?
In reply to knowmostofit, Apr 19, 2013

knowmostofit wrote:

Why not take a pic of a brick wall, now that really would be interesting; we could count the bricks and see how many were sharp.

Seriously though, what's the point of exercises like this? They're different cameras, are you surprised they don't look quite the same - especially if flash is used on one and not the other!

A pointless exercise.

Here is a point of my exercise.  Just recently I’ve red here on one of the threads that exposure on X100S is higher versus Canon DSLR, meaning the ISO calibration is not the same. That is my main motive to check 2 different cameras with approximately close F-number and other parameters, outside, during a cloudy day. If calibration is right then just visualization will let you have some judgment. An eye is an excellent instrument. Next, if shots at the same conditions from 2 different cameras are approximately the same intensity then all talks about different ISO calibrations between any other cameras unsubstantiated. Basically I’m doing that for myself and I’m sharing it with you. I read from some members expressed some annoyance with my exercise since I made some errors. I’m very sorry that I caused your disturbance.

-- hide signature --

ABS

knowmostofit
Regular MemberPosts: 132
Like?

astone wrote:

knowmostofit wrote:

A pointless exercise.

Here is a point of my exercise.  Just recently I’ve red here on one of the threads that exposure on X100S is higher versus Canon DSLR, meaning the ISO calibration is not the same. That is my main motive to check 2 different cameras with approximately close F-number and other parameters, outside, during a cloudy day. If calibration is right then just visualization will let you have some judgment. An eye is an excellent instrument. Next, if shots at the same conditions from 2 different cameras are approximately the same intensity then all talks about different ISO calibrations between any other cameras unsubstantiated. Basically I’m doing that for myself and I’m sharing it with you. I read from some members expressed some annoyance with my exercise since I made some errors. I’m very sorry that I caused your disturbance.

-- hide signature --

ABS

By all means carry on for your own personal "enjoyment", each to their own, no offence intended.

But what practical reason or change will it make to your taking a proper picture with either or any of your cameras? You will pick up the X100 and take a pic, you will pick up your OMD and take a pic.  Will your deliberations make any change in the way you use your cameras? Will you for instance change the settimgs on either camera so they match in real life image taking? They are different cameras; expect the difference.

skimble
Senior MemberPosts: 6,173Gear list
Like?
In reply to knowmostofit, Apr 19, 2013

tru words, best way is to just show what the best you get out of each camera depending the shooting situation. They both are great camera and its what you do with them which makes them better or worse. The X100 ask you pick me up and go shooting the Oly says are you sure you want to take me (just kidding).

skimble's gear list:skimble's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 70D
astone
Like?
Re:it not worth of anything...
In reply to skimble, Apr 19, 2013

You proved your points. Totally agreed with two last postings and will not continue posting these stupid results.  Thanks so much for directing to the proper way to spend my photo energy. BTW, I do not take any of your comments as offense and everything is taken as positive.

-- hide signature --

ABS

pavi1
Like?
In reply to intruder61, Apr 19, 2013

intruder61 wrote:

.....half a dozen of one, six of another.

Look again, it is a dozen of one and six of the other.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #44

pavi1
Like?
Re:it not worth of anything...

astone wrote:

You proved your points. Totally agreed with two last postings and will not continue posting these stupid results.  Thanks so much for directing to the proper way to spend my photo energy. BTW, I do not take any of your comments as offense and everything is taken as positive.

-- hide signature --

ABS

Don't be so easily discouraged by internet bullies. I would love to see your pictures but only if you use the same settings for each camera. I would also like to see this done indoors at higher iso.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #44

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads