OS 10.8 Mountain Lion - converting documents made in Appleworks to Pages

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions
c.hammett
Forum ProPosts: 11,539Gear list
Like?
OS 10.8 Mountain Lion - converting documents made in Appleworks to Pages
Apr 18, 2013

I have a lot of lecture notes  from courses I taught, that were created in Appleworks,  as well as some that were created in Clarisworks v.6.0.  My tech just installed OS 10.8 on my  main iMac, and now I am trying to figure out how to convert and open  the older Appleworks docs in OS10.8 "Pages". The docs created in v6.0 will open o.K. and I can save  as Pages.

The only thing I can figure out for the older Appleworks docs is to open them on my other iMac running OS 10.6.8 and save them as v 6.0 and then move them back onto my other computer running OS 10.8 and then open them and save as Pages.  This is unbearably time consuming, doing it lecture -by- lecture.  Is there a "bulk" way to do this, or any shortcut I'm missing ?

SURELY, there is an easier way ?   I can't believe other people haven't had this problem,and that  Apple wouldn't have a fix for this.  Any help would be apprreciated.

carolyn

-- hide signature --

Ranger a.k.a chammett
http://www.pbase.com/chammett
'elegance is simplicity'

c.hammett's gear list:c.hammett's gear list
Canon EOS 100D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
f8BeThereToo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,248
Like?
Re: OS 10.8 Mountain Lion - converting documents made in Appleworks to Pages
In reply to c.hammett, Apr 18, 2013

Carolyn, I had to deal with this a few days ago and I no longer have a Mac running 10.6. Here is what I discovered via a Startpage.com search: OpenOffice can open those old AW files. Word processing files are the easiest to deal with because they tend to have less formatting, no tables, etc. You copy and paste the text into a Pages document. There may be some extraneous characters that must be removed and the OpenOffice doc may have multiple blank pages but just scroll until you locate the text.

I do not know of a batch process to accomplish what you want. From what you describe using OpenOffice may not save you any time. As far as I know there is no current software that can open ClarisWorks files.

That Startpage.com search turned up other options including running older DataWiz conversion software; maybe you can find a better way. I have relatively few files to convert so I plan on doing them during spare moments.

www.openoffice.org

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
c.hammett
Like?
In reply to f8BeThereToo, Apr 18, 2013

MrMojo wrote:

Carolyn, I had to deal with this a few days ago and I no longer have a Mac running 10.6. Here is what I discovered via a Startpage.com search: OpenOffice can open those old AW files. Word processing files are the easiest to deal with because they tend to have less formatting, no tables, etc. You copy and paste the text into a Pages document. There may be some extraneous characters that must be removed and the OpenOffice doc may have multiple blank pages but just scroll until you locate the text.

I do not know of a batch process to accomplish what you want. From what you describe using OpenOffice may not save you any time. As far as I know there is no current software that can open ClarisWorks files.

That Startpage.com search turned up other options including running older DataWiz conversion software; maybe you can find a better way. I have relatively few files to convert so I plan on doing them during spare moments.

www.openoffice.org

Hey MrMojo ... many thanks for this suggestion.  I will search OpenOffice to see what I can find. I think it would save me the step of shifting the files from one computer to the other to open and then saving and moving them back.  As far as Clariworks (cwk) files, my OS10.8 Pages opens those o.k.  and I am saving them  just fine, and I then go to file >save (not "save as") and specify where to save,  and they show up as "page" docs.  Does this not work for you ?

I have a LOT of these lecture notes, all word processing files, no spreadsheets etc.  and no problem with my Photoshop images that I titled while in Photoshop... at least I don't think any problems. It is hard to believe a lot of others haven't encountered this with older files.

Will report !  and thanks for taking the time to answer !!!

carolyn

-- hide signature --

Ranger a.k.a chammett
'elegance is simplicity'

Canon EOS 100D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
c.hammett
Like?
Re: MrMojo - converting documents made in Appleworks to Pages
In reply to f8BeThereToo, Apr 19, 2013

I downloaded OpenOffice, and did exactly what you said, and it did work.. sort of   I saw what you meant about multiple pages,  but my text finally appeared, but it was rather all run together and pretty small.  I tried OpenOffice"help" to see if I could locate a way to enlarge and change the foot, but I was somewhat baffled by the numerous options and choices, so gave up for the evening.  I guess there is no simple way to do this except for my "workaround" of taking the files over to my other computer and converting them to v 6.0 and then moving them back to my primary computer to save as pages.

I still can't believe that Apple did this without some kind of warning !!!    At least everything else seems to work in 10.8.

Meanwhile, if anyone else knows of an easier workaround, I'm sure a few others might like to know too !

Thanks again MrMojo....I'm not giving up on OpenOffice yet, so if you have any other specifics on how to untangle the text, enlarge it, or change the font, I'd love to know !  I think I must be missing something here.

Cheers !    carolyn

-- hide signature --

Ranger a.k.a chammett
'elegance is simplicity'

f8BeThereToo
Like?
In reply to c.hammett, Apr 19, 2013

I don't have that problem with OpenOffice; perhaps there is a display setting where you can enlarge the font size.

Pages can open ClarisWorks files? That's news to me but don't have any CW files. It's weird that CW files can be opened but AW can't! CW is a lot older than AW...

probert500
Contributing MemberPosts: 986Gear list
Like?

c.hammett wrote:

I downloaded OpenOffice, and did exactly what you said, and it did work.. sort of   I saw what you meant about multiple pages,  but my text finally appeared, but it was rather all run together and pretty small.  I tried OpenOffice"help" to see if I could locate a way to enlarge and change the foot, but I was somewhat baffled by the numerous options and choices, so gave up for the evening.  I guess there is no simple way to do this except for my "workaround" of taking the files over to my other computer and converting them to v 6.0 and then moving them back to my primary computer to save as pages.

I still can't believe that Apple did this without some kind of warning !!!    At least everything else seems to work in 10.8.

Meanwhile, if anyone else knows of an easier workaround, I'm sure a few others might like to know too !

Thanks again MrMojo....I'm not giving up on OpenOffice yet, so if you have any other specifics on how to untangle the text, enlarge it, or change the font, I'd love to know !  I think I must be missing something here.

Cheers !    carolyn

-- hide signature --

Ranger a.k.a chammett
'elegance is simplicity'

Apple is well known for this both for software and hardware(see final cut pro etc.).  Appleworks was discontinued many many years ago, as was pages - the openoffice suggestion is good - you could also try neooffice.

probert500's gear list:probert500's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,020
Like?

c.hammett wrote:

The only thing I can figure out for the older Appleworks docs is to open them on my other iMac running OS 10.6.8 and save them as v 6.0 and then move them back onto my other computer running OS 10.8 and then open them and save as Pages.  This is unbearably time consuming, doing it lecture -by- lecture.  Is there a "bulk" way to do this, or any shortcut I'm missing ?

There may be things you can do with Automator, AppleScript, and/or folder actions.

webfrasse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,765
Like?

c.hammett wrote:

Cheers !    carolyn

-- hide signature --

Ranger a.k.a chammett
'elegance is simplicity'

It might be worth checking out LibreOffice(.org). Most of the OpenOffice developer left Oracle when they acquired Sun (that owned OpenOffice) and they started up LibreOffice. It has gotten a lot more fixes and re-work since (it's the same codebase as OpenOffice). OpenOffice is dead, not developed anymore. Apache took over from Oracle but nothing has happened since.

-- hide signature --

Mikael

Andy Hewitt
Senior MemberPosts: 2,678Gear list
Like?

I think you have found the only real solution that will work. As for Apple causing this problem, I think enough time has passed that fair warning was actually given, and indeed they have given an awful lot of backwards compatibility over the years.

FWIW ClarisWorks was discontinued in 1993 (released in 1984), and AppleWorks 4 was released, along with backwards compatibility. It was finally given' 'end of life' status in 2007, but hadn't had any updates for a number of years. The last being an update to v6 to make it work in OSX sometime in the early 2000's. ClarisWorks was discontinued 20 years ago! Remember, during the late 80's and up to late 90's Apple was under the control of people that almost made it go bankrupt.

iWork was released in 2005, and at some point had AppleWorks 6 compatibility before AppleWorks was discontinued officially, so even after another 13 years you still have backwards compatibility with AppleWorks documents.

In the grand scheme of things I think that's pretty good support. Sorry, but I felt Apple needed some credit for what they have done.

OK, you have a lot of work to do, but at least it is possible at all.

Also FWIW, I think your best option is to continue as you are, converting to AW6, then into Pages, as you'll keep much of the formatting, and probably have the least post processing work to do in the end.

You could also have a look here and see if there are any resources that might help:

http://www.awug.org

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt
Using Olympus E-420 and Apple Mac Mini '09.

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-S1 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple Aperture Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4S
c.hammett
Like?
In reply to f8BeThereToo, Apr 19, 2013

Yes, I'm clearly opening cwk files created as early as 2003... Just checked some letters written in cwk.  But won't open Appleworks.  I don't understand it either ?

carolyn

-- hide signature --

Ranger a.k.a chammett
'elegance is simplicity'

c.hammett
Like?
In reply to probert500, Apr 19, 2013

probert500 wrote:

c.hammett wrote:

Cheers !    carolyn

-- hide signature --

Ranger a.k.a chammett
'elegance is simplicity'

Apple is well known for this both for software and hardware(see final cut pro etc.).  Appleworks was discontinued many many years ago, as was pages - the openoffice suggestion is good - you could also try neooffice.

That kind of explains about Appleworks.  Most of the lectures I want to "translate" or convert were from the 90's.  It may be my summer project to convert them to cwk on my older iMac on 10.6.8 and then send them over to the newer iMac where we just installed 10.8.3.  At least it will be an interesting review of courses I taught  !  

thanks for the note and info about "neooffice".

carolyn

-- hide signature --

Ranger a.k.a chammett
'elegance is simplicity'

c.hammett
Like?
In reply to webfrasse, Apr 19, 2013

Thanks for this update onOpenOffice.  I'm getting some interesting input here.  I hope some of this helps others too !  Strange that Apple doesn't have a fix for this ??

carolyn

-- hide signature --

Ranger a.k.a chammett
'elegance is simplicity'

c.hammett
Like?
In reply to Andy Hewitt, Apr 19, 2013

Andy Hewitt wrote:

I think you have found the only real solution that will work. As for Apple causing this problem, I think enough time has passed that fair warning was actually given, and indeed they have given an awful lot of backwards compatibility over the years.

FWIW ClarisWorks was discontinued in 1993 (released in 1984), and AppleWorks 4 was released, along with backwards compatibility. It was finally given' 'end of life' status in 2007, but hadn't had any updates for a number of years. The last being an update to v6 to make it work in OSX sometime in the early 2000's. ClarisWorks was discontinued 20 years ago! Remember, during the late 80's and up to late 90's Apple was under the control of people that almost made it go bankrupt.

iWork was released in 2005, and at some point had AppleWorks 6 compatibility before AppleWorks was discontinued officially, so even after another 13 years you still have backwards compatibility with AppleWorks documents.

In the grand scheme of things I think that's pretty good support. Sorry, but I felt Apple needed some credit for what they have done.

OK, you have a lot of work to do, but at least it is possible at all.

Also FWIW, I think your best option is to continue as you are, converting to AW6, then into Pages, as you'll keep much of the formatting, and probably have the least post processing work to do in the end.

You could also have a look here and see if there are any resources that might help:

http://www.awug.org

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt

Andy - thanks for all this info.  Maybe I'm not understanding the terminology, as I've been creating docs in Appleworks for years, but they are appended "cwk" on the end when saved.  The ones that won't convert are in v.5, and convert to "V6.0 (WP) " on my older iMac running 10.6.8.   IF you can clarify this for me, I'd like to understand the terminology.  The older docs that won't convert look like a page with  and "A/=" with the A in black, a yellow slash, and some sort of rectangle with blue color to the right of the "/".

Cheers and thanks for the info !

carolyn

-- hide signature --

Ranger a.k.a chammett
'elegance is simplicity'

Andy Hewitt
Like?

c.hammett wrote:

Andy - thanks for all this info.  Maybe I'm not understanding the terminology, as I've been creating docs in Appleworks for years, but they are appended "cwk" on the end when saved.  The ones that won't convert are in v.5, and convert to "V6.0 (WP) " on my older iMac running 10.6.8.   IF you can clarify this for me, I'd like to understand the terminology.  The older docs that won't convert look like a page with  and "A/=" with the A in black, a yellow slash, and some sort of rectangle with blue color to the right of the "/".

Yeah, that sounds about right. They have the 'cwk' extension, and when you open a v5 document in v6 it appends a '[v6.0]' in the filename.

I too used ClarisWorks 3.0 (back in about 1994), and then AppleWorks right through to about 2007, when I switched to iWork. I think they did a bit of a rewrite with v6, which made the documents incompatible. I managed to convert documents as I went, many of mine didn't need keeping anyway. Although I still have some old AppleWorks documents in archive.

You could try dropping a few on at a time (drag the document icons onto the AppleWorks 6 app icon), and it'll open them all up, then you can just hit the Command-S, Command-W keys to save them in the new format. That might work.

Once in v6 format, you can then just open them up in Pages/Numbers on an as needed basis, rather than spend hours converting them again.

S'OK.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt

Panasonic Lumix DMC-S1 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple Aperture Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 4S
Andy Hewitt
Like?

c.hammett wrote:

That kind of explains about Appleworks.  Most of the lectures I want to "translate" or convert were from the 90's.  It may be my summer project to convert them to cwk on my older iMac on 10.6.8 and then send them over to the newer iMac where we just installed 10.8.3.  At least it will be an interesting review of courses I taught  !  

thanks for the note and info about "neooffice".

Also look for LibreOffice, which is also a port from OpenOffice, and seems to be a bit more up to date too.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt

c.hammett
Like?
Re: OS 10.8 Mountain Lion - drag and drop works... "save to" question

Andy Hewitt wrote:

You could try dropping a few on at a time (drag the document icons onto the AppleWorks 6 app icon), and it'll open them all up, then you can just hit the Command-S, Command-W keys to save them in the new format. That might work.

Once in v6 format, you can then just open them up in Pages/Numbers on an as needed basis, rather than spend hours converting them again.

S'OK.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt

Hey Andy... the drag / dropping old files onto the Appleworks icon in  10.6.8 works fine, and then transferring the file to my computer running 10.8.3 and doing the same with the Pages icon finishes the job.  I'm saving as Pages,  since "once stung" with saving in a cwk. format got me into this  trouble , I don't know how long  Apple will support and read the v6.0 format. Saving in Pages is yet another step, but hopefully Apple will keep that going for a while.  I don't know where I missed the warning in years past, that Apple was abandoning support for the older format.  But it happened and I wasn't there !

Using only Command-S seems to work, so what does  the Command-W do? When I hit that, I just get a clunk that doesn't seem to do anything.  Command-S seems all I need.  I just save them to the desktop and put them in a renamed "converted file".

One other question that bugs me  is that when I "save to", the window default is always iCloud, and I want it saved on the desktop or some other folder, and have to select that every time I save.  Is there any way to make the "save to" default to some place other than iCloud ?

Thanks again for the drag and drop tip!  It is going to save some time and steps.  I did find that dragging more than four docs at a time was a little overkill, but four at a time is better than one at a time !

Cheers !   carolyn

-- hide signature --

Ranger a.k.a chammett
'elegance is simplicity'

Andy Hewitt
Like?

c.hammett wrote:

Andy Hewitt wrote:

S'OK.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt

Hey Andy... the drag / dropping old files onto the Appleworks icon in  10.6.8 works fine, and then transferring the file to my computer running 10.8.3 and doing the same with the Pages icon finishes the job.  I'm saving as Pages,  since "once stung" with saving in a cwk. format got me into this  trouble , I don't know how long  Apple will support and read the v6.0 format. Saving in Pages is yet another step, but hopefully Apple will keep that going for a while.  I don't know where I missed the warning in years past, that Apple was abandoning support for the older format.  But it happened and I wasn't there !

Using only Command-S seems to work, so what does  the Command-W do? When I hit that, I just get a clunk that doesn't seem to do anything.  Command-S seems all I need.  I just save them to the desktop and put them in a renamed "converted file".

Command-S is of course Save, Command-W is 'Close Window', which should just clear the document off the screen. I don't remember the document window closing when using the 'Save' function.

One other question that bugs me  is that when I "save to", the window default is always iCloud, and I want it saved on the desktop or some other folder, and have to select that every time I save.  Is there any way to make the "save to" default to some place other than iCloud ?

Click on the 'Open' command for a blank new document, you should get a dialogue up with 'iCloud' and 'On My Mac' at the top. Select 'On My Mac', and the New Document button. That should set it to default to 'On My Mac'. If you get a 'Save' dialogue, there is a 'Where' button, where you select the location to save to. I think it should stay set once you choose it (it does on mine).

Alternatively, temporarily turn off the Documents selection in iCloud settings in System Preferences.

Thanks again for the drag and drop tip!  It is going to save some time and steps.  I did find that dragging more than four docs at a time was a little overkill, but four at a time is better than one at a time !

Aye, it is indeed :-).

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt

f8BeThereToo
Like?
In reply to probert500, Apr 19, 2013

probert500 wrote:

NeoOffice now requires a $10 donation to download it.

RonWA
Regular MemberPosts: 159Gear list
Like?

This is a real coincidence for me. I am running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard and just told a friend I was considering updating to Mountain Lion. He told me ML would not support my old Apple Works documents. So, before I change the OS, I am converting all the old Apple Works docs to Pages. I open Pages, go to Open Existing File and choose an Apple Works document with .cwk on the end of it. Then I go to Save As and it is saved as a Pages document with .pages on the end.

I have a lot of these documents so it is going to be very time consuming. Is the "drag and drop" method faster?

Ron

RonWA's gear list:RonWA's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony SLT-A55 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony 500mm F8 Reflex +2 more
Andy Hewitt
Like?
In reply to RonWA, Apr 19, 2013

RonWA wrote:

This is a real coincidence for me. I am running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard and just told a friend I was considering updating to Mountain Lion. He told me ML would not support my old Apple Works documents. So, before I change the OS, I am converting all the old Apple Works docs to Pages. I open Pages, go to Open Existing File and choose an Apple Works document with .cwk on the end of it. Then I go to Save As and it is saved as a Pages document with .pages on the end.

Your friend is wrong, Pages in ML does indeed open a 'cwk' document - I just tried, and it opened up in all it's original glory

It doesn't support AppleWorks as an app, but Pages and Numbers support AW documents. You have no urgent need to do this now, although as Caroline says, may be better now than get bitten later on.

I have a lot of these documents so it is going to be very time consuming. Is the "drag and drop" method faster?

It should be, it's just a matter of finding a workflow that suits you. I just thought of it as a possibility.

-- hide signature --

Andy Hewitt

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads