Which full frame Nikon body is safe to buy?

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions
regos
Regular MemberPosts: 164Gear list
Like?
Which full frame Nikon body is safe to buy?
Apr 18, 2013

I have been following all the posts for the last few weeks dealing with the D600 sensor oil/dirt issues, and D800 AF issues as well as oil issues , because I recently decided to get a full frame Nikon, in order to take advantage of my legacy Nikkor lenses in their native focal lenghts and get full frame quality.

I have a D7000 now, which somehow I have never been thrilled with, and in fact, since getting a Fuji X-P1, which has noticably better IQ at all ISO levels, I rarely choose to use the D7k, unless I need flash or telephoto. It also had the oil splatter issue, and I recently got it back from Nikon in LA, supposedly fixed. That remains to be seen, as I haven't used it enough yet to be able to verify.

In any case, I am now fully warned and have decided to not by a Nikon D600 at this time, or probably ever. What is left?  I'm equally afraid of buying a D800 or D800E. I don't need any projects, especially at these prices.

Which full frame Nikon body can I buy that has no known, serious, potentially deal breaking issues?

regos's gear list:regos's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D700 +2 more
Nikon D600 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
AllOtherNamesTaken
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,461
Like?
All of them
In reply to regos, Apr 18, 2013

regos wrote:

I have been following all the posts for the last few weeks dealing with the D600 sensor oil/dirt issues, and D800 AF issues as well as oil issues , because I recently decided to get a full frame Nikon, in order to take advantage of my legacy Nikkor lenses in their native focal lenghts and get full frame quality.

I have a D7000 now, which somehow I have never been thrilled with, and in fact, since getting a Fuji X-P1, which has noticably better IQ at all ISO levels, I rarely choose to use the D7k, unless I need flash or telephoto. It also had the oil splatter issue, and I recently got it back from Nikon in LA, supposedly fixed. That remains to be seen, as I haven't used it enough yet to be able to verify.

In any case, I am now fully warned and have decided to not by a Nikon D600 at this time, or probably ever. What is left?  I'm equally afraid of buying a D800 or D800E. I don't need any projects, especially at these prices.

Which full frame Nikon body can I buy that has no known, serious, potentially deal breaking issues?

What you seem to be missing is the fact that a great many of us have perfectly functioning D600/D800's.  You only hear of the bad stories, because you probably just read on the internet like everyone else (I don't mean that as an insult).  Nobody takes the time to talk about their issue-free cameras because they're out shooting, or they don't care, so all you read about is the bad ones, which grossly exaggerates the perceived issue.

Buy whatever camera you want, and in the off chance it has an issue, exchange it for one that doesn't.  It's extremely simple.  You also have 1-2 years warranty depending where you live, and there are fixes for both "issues".

I personally now have three issue-free D600's purchased all at different times (thousands of frames taken with each), including one purchased on release day.  A friend of mine just got a D800 and it has no left AF issue.  A very large volume Camera store in my area has yet to have a single D600/D800 returned due to dust, oil, or AF issues (I am personal friends with some of the employees so I get the inside scoop).

The issues exist, no question, and I am not trying to brush off those with problems, but not likely anywhere near the degree what reading on DPreview would have you believe.  Keep in mind most people will take the time to talk about how unhappy they are, while probably only 1% of people will bother to talk about how they are happy with their purchases.

Buy whatever camera you want - it will probably be issue free.  If you get unlucky, simply exchange it.  I think you are over thinking this.  Whoever warned you never to buy a D600 or D800 "ever" is totally out to lunch.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chas P
Contributing MemberPosts: 812Gear list
Like?
+1
In reply to AllOtherNamesTaken, Apr 18, 2013

..and not forgetting the D700, D3, D3s and D3X.. especially for 'legacy glass', I would have thought.

Chas P's gear list:Chas P's gear list
Nikon D700 Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +2 more
Skiies
Regular MemberPosts: 153
Like?
Re: +1
In reply to Chas P, Apr 18, 2013

D700

CeleryBeats
Contributing MemberPosts: 650Gear list
Like?
Re: Which full frame Nikon body is safe to buy?

regos wrote:

All of them.

CeleryBeats's gear list:CeleryBeats's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Sony RX100 II Nikon D800 +4 more
Wellington100
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,128Gear list
Like?

regos wrote:

I have an F3P, the toughest and most reliable camera in Nikons history

-- hide signature --

Doctors are bad for your lifestyle.

Mr Gadget
Senior MemberPosts: 1,830
Like?

If funds are no problem, then I would seriously consider the D4, or if they are look around for a gently used D3s. Both are built to last and function well. I have had my D2x for around 7 yrs now and it is as good today after all the use and abuse that I have given it as it was when I bought it lo these many years ago.

If "safe" is what you want then the D4 is your camera...

-- hide signature --

Conrad
---------------------------------------------------
Show Low, Arizona

Pravin
Forum MemberPosts: 92Gear list
Like?

Nothing more to add after what AllOtherNamesTaken has written, except to say that I purchased my D800 on launch day (maybe launch week) from Best Buy and nothing bad to say other than I should go out more to use it. (lack of time).

Pravin's gear list:Pravin's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D800 Samyang 35mm F1.4 AS UMC Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro +9 more
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,059Gear list
Like?
All of them except D600

I would not hesitate to buy any FF Nikon except the D600

D3, D3S, and D700 are all exemplory bodies and unless you have an issue with 12mp then you can't go wrong with either

Going to new I think the D800 issues are basically solved.  I bought mine April 1st a year ago - no left AF issues or green LCD issues.  I did have inconsistent focus issues but the latest firmware seems to have fixed that.  The Left AF issue is easily determined so if some new ones still have it, it is easily detected.  If you buy from a reputable dealer you should have no problem returning it for another

D4 I think had some issues to a lesser degree but I would say nothing to be concerned with now

But the D600 I, personally would avoid.  Unless it has been determined that they are now being shipped oil / dust issue resolved.  Unlike the D800's left AF issue which you can determine if you have it or not right away, the D600's problem may not show up for months.  My brother bought one Christmas time.  He doesn't follow the forums so he had no idea there was any issue. I was talking to him last week and asked him how the D600 was. Said last week he started noticing some spots in his images.  That's four months after purchase, so too late to take advantage of any return policy.  For anyone that doesn't mind cleaning sensors, I guess no big deal, but I wouldn't want to be doing it because of a manufacturers defect.

So for me, any FF except D600

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
Pradipta Dutta
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,765Gear list
Like?
As others have said, all of them
In reply to regos, Apr 19, 2013

All of them are safe to buy. Which one is best for you comes down to what you value most, what type of photography you do and how much you are willing to pay. Each of them have pros and cons. Nothing is perfect. But each of them is capable of making breathtaking images in the right hands.

-- hide signature --

My Online Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/pradipta

Pradipta Dutta's gear list:Pradipta Dutta's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D3 Nikon D2X Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,059Gear list
Like?
Re: As others have said, all of them Well, not all..........
In reply to Pradipta Dutta, Apr 19, 2013

Pradipta Dutta wrote:

All of them are safe to buy. Which one is best for you comes down to what you value most, what type of photography you do and how much you are willing to pay. Each of them have pros and cons. Nothing is perfect. But each of them is capable of making breathtaking images in the right hands.

You must have missed this from Regos -

"Which full frame Nikon body can I buy that has no known, serious, potentially deal breaking issues?"

and this

"In any case, I am now fully warned and have decided to not by a Nikon D600 at this time, or probably ever. What is left?"

I don't follow the D600 threads as I have no interest in one, and wouldn't be in this thread if it was a D600 thread so...... I've just done a Google search limiting results to threads from the past week, and I could not find anything saying the D600 dust / oil issue is fixed. So for the fellows that have a good one or don't mind cleaning the sensor as needed, everything is good. But that hardly makes it a camera that you would recommend to someone.

Which is a mute point really, as the OP has already ruled the D600 out.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,726
Like?
No full frame body is safe

Your bank account will need to wear protection as a full frame body with bite it in the neck and suck it dry.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

ScottRH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,643
Like?

d700

Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,557Gear list
Like?
D800, D800x, D600, and D700
In reply to Robin Casady, Apr 19, 2013

Go for it. The problems are fixed in recent releases.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D5300 Nikon D610 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +21 more
Mully410
Forum MemberPosts: 53
Like?
In reply to Mr Gadget, Apr 19, 2013

Mr Gadget wrote:

If funds are no problem, then I would seriously consider the D4, or if they are look around for a gently used D3s. Both are built to last and function well. I have had my D2x for around 7 yrs now and it is as good today after all the use and abuse that I have given it as it was when I bought it lo these many years ago.

If "safe" is what you want then the D4 is your camera...

-- hide signature --

Conrad
---------------------------------------------------
Show Low, Arizona

+1 for D4.

PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 10,947Gear list
Like?

regos wrote:

I Which full frame Nikon body can I buy that has no known, serious, potentially deal breaking issues?

Let's see.  F5 is a pretty good one.   F4 too.  N100.   N90s.

Oh -digital?

Don't see any complaints about D3s, or D3, or D4.

My D800e has been trouble-free all month.  I guess those problems will check in tomorrow.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D800E +32 more
beshannon
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,203Gear list
Like?

regos wrote:

Sounds to me like you should choose another brand.  You will always have doubts, just move on.

beshannon's gear list:beshannon's gear list
Sigma DP2s Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
richard cohen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,005Gear list
Like?
or just buy a d4....
In reply to AllOtherNamesTaken, Apr 19, 2013

I agree that the problems are overblown and not that common, and there are fixes in place in case something comes up. Or just buy a d4, no known problems with them other than a much slimmer wallet...:-)

richard cohen's gear list:richard cohen's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
regos
Regular MemberPosts: 164Gear list
Like?
In reply to beshannon, Apr 19, 2013

"Sounds to me like you should choose another brand.  You will always have doubts, just move on."

I guess you didn't notice that one of the main reasons I want a full frame Nikon body is to be able to use my legacy Nikkor lenses. I have been shooting Nikons since the late 1960's, starting with the rangefinder Nikon SP. I bought my Nikon F in 1972 and still have, and love, all the Nikkor glass I have collected since then. I had a D70, which I liked. It died suddenly and I replaced it with the D7000 which let me use my old lenses; I even installed an aftermarket split image focusing screen. I am now ready to move up to a full frame body, but the point is to be able to use my f-mount glass.

regos's gear list:regos's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D700 +2 more
larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,373Gear list
Like?
Re: or just buy a d4....
In reply to richard cohen, Apr 19, 2013

yes, just buy a d4, perfect camera!!!!  I have one and love it.

Larry

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads