Every APSC mount gets the new Sigma 1.8 zoom except us?

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions
dpyy
Contributing MemberPosts: 877
Like?
Every APSC mount gets the new Sigma 1.8 zoom except us?
Apr 18, 2013

Every APSC mount (canon, nikon, sigma) gets the new Sigma 1.8 zoom except us? Why? Is the E mount the least popular? We could really benefit from a 18-35/1.8?

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,480Gear list
Like?
Re: Every APSC mount gets the new Sigma 1.8 zoom except us?
In reply to dpyy, Apr 18, 2013

dpyy wrote:

Every APSC mount (canon, nikon, sigma) gets the new Sigma 1.8 zoom except us? Why? Is the E mount the least popular? We could really benefit from a 18-35/1.8?

Check the size, and the price, and then add an E-mount adapter for length.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +34 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 14,009Gear list
Like?
Henry: perhaps this might surprise you, but...
In reply to blue_skies, Apr 18, 2013

blue_skies wrote:

dpyy wrote:

there are some of us who do not think smallness for smallness sake is everything - it is pretty ugly than Sigma decided to neglect E-mount for this new zoom !!

jpr2

dpyy
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, Apr 18, 2013

blue_skies wrote:

dpyy wrote:

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Sorry not sure what you mean? Are you saying we can use it with an adapter? Yes most likely but why do we get left out? Trying to understand where the market is going?

zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 22,153Gear list
Like?

Not every APS-C mount but us gets it.

Fuji APS mount, Samsung APS mount, Pentax APS mount all do not get this new lens yet.  Nor does Sony's Alpha mount.  So eMount isn't being left out alone.

Sigma is naturally always going to release for their own mount, and any new lens will always start with Canon and Nikon mounts being by far the largest base to work from.  It's possible down the road they may decide to offer the lens in other mounts, with Sony Alpha mount and Pentax K mount being the next two most likely to get it - before the mirrorless mounts, most likely...if at all.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +24 more
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?
Re: Henry: perhaps this might surprise you, but...
In reply to jpr2, Apr 18, 2013

jpr2 wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

dpyy wrote:

there are some of us who do not think smallness for smallness sake is everything - it is pretty ugly than Sigma decided to neglect E-mount for this new zoom !!

jpr2

Why would anybody prefer carrying a 810g, 122mm long, 79mm wide lens when they could just carry 19mm f/2.8 (140g) and 35mm f/1.8 OSS (155g) primes, and likely at a fraction of the price.

I would rather see a 20mm f/1.8 from Sigma with IQ strides ahead of the old 20/1.8.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +12 more
James Sherman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,327Gear list
Like?

Before we get really worked up, let's find out if it's worth being upset about.  It's a fair stretch to make this lens.  Who says we'd want it anyway after we see how it performs?

James Sherman's gear list:James Sherman's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
EinsteinsGhost
Like?

dpyy wrote:

As is usually the case, Sigma is offering this lens for only two mounts (their own, is a throw-in because they have to, and it doesn't take much for them to do so) and that is at launch. I suspect they will add other mounts eventually, if the lens finds buyers among the Canikon mass.

Sigma had (has?) a 20mm f/1.8 prime that left a lot to be desired in terms of IQ. I would rather see Sigma offer a new, better version, above the 19/2.8 for E-mount than a big, heavy zoom lens.

I would much rather see a 20-40 or 20-60 f/2 lens for NEX, but only if it makes more sense than carrying 2-3 small, and fast primes to cover the same FL. As things stand with 18-35/1.8, we're looking at a lens that is heavy (810g) and big (79x122). And unless it holds a pleasant surprise in terms of IQ at 18-22mm, offers pretty much nothing over Zeiss 24/1.8 and Sony 35/1.8 OSS primes (which will have a combined weight that is half that of the 18-35).

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +12 more
Sk8trguy
Regular MemberPosts: 293
Like?
sony is quiting on alpha it seems?

i am not sure if this was part of sigma's decision, but sony cancelled the a77 replacement and also 2 new ff alpha bodies according to sar.  they claim the ceo wants to move away from slts and the alpha line.  maybe focus on nex?  just like sigma gave up on the old 4/3 line, the appear to be giving up on alpha. lets wait and see.

Sk8trguy
Regular MemberPosts: 293
Like?
right, only the big boys.
In reply to zackiedawg, Apr 18, 2013

costs vs. benefits

if they thought they would make money they would make it.  as you said, pentax, sony etc are not getting it possibly due to low prediction of sales.  sony appears to be cancelling a lot of future alphas according to sar.

dark13star
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?

Given that this lens is being released in SLR mounts, I have to assume it has a long flange focal distance to support such bodies (I've not read the specs). That said, to make this in an e-mount, they would essentially be bolting on an adapter. Sure, they could make it a full function adapter with autofocus and aperture control, but that would make this a very large lens. It seems that Sigma will release SLR lenses and mirrorless lenses and support multiple mounts within each category.

dark13star's gear list:dark13star's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +6 more
Kings1
Regular MemberPosts: 176
Like?
Re: right, only the big boys.
In reply to Sk8trguy, Apr 18, 2013

Sk8trguy wrote:

costs vs. benefits

if they thought they would make money they would make it.  as you said, pentax, sony etc are not getting it possibly due to low prediction of sales.  sony appears to be cancelling a lot of future alphas according to sar.

I think you need to go read the SAR site again, Sony may not release the A78 because there just aren't enough improvements. SAR did mention Sony will possibly release a firmware update for the A77, which will add more to that model. I agree with Sony not to produce a new camera model without offering much for improvement in the new model.

What other Alpha camera SLT or NEX models did you see being cancelled?

It's a shame when 3rd party lens company ignores a certain brand, almost to the point of convincing me not to buy Sigma...

jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 14,009Gear list
Like?
re: is the SAR site down??
In reply to Sk8trguy, Apr 18, 2013

Sk8trguy wrote:

i am not sure if this was part of sigma's decision, but sony cancelled the a77 replacement and also 2 new ff alpha bodies according to sar.  they claim the ceo wants to move away from slts and the alpha line.  maybe focus on nex?  just like sigma gave up on the old 4/3 line, the appear to be giving up on alpha. lets wait and see.

today every attempt to use any of these links just crashes .

jpr2

dpyy
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, Apr 18, 2013

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

dpyy wrote:

jpr2

Why would anybody prefer carrying a 810g, 122mm long, 79mm wide lens when they could just carry 19mm f/2.8 (140g) and 35mm f/1.8 OSS (155g) primes, and likely at a fraction of the price.

I would rather see a 20mm f/1.8 from Sigma with IQ strides ahead of the old 20/1.8.

Why would you need a zoom by that logic? Because what about all the FL between 19 and 35?

007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,424Gear list
Like?
because NEX required a CDAF optimized lens, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 is a PDAF only lens

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 like any other PDAF Canon/Nikon lens, cannot Auto-focus on CDAF camera like Sony NEX.  AFAIK, a lens is usually design as either PDAF or CDAF.  There are a selectively few lens that is hybrid (I believe sony 10-18 is sush a best) but they are rare.

If you want PDAF lens, buy a DSLR, its really that simple.  Waiting, bitching, moaning or whining won't help.

A better option is to buy the NEX-A mount adapter and then the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 zoom.  But the overall cost can be rather expensive.  Keep in mind that Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 is a BIG HEAVY LENS at 810g and will balance poorly on NEX with limited grip.  It really is a lens design for DSLR, and its best it stay there.

007peter's gear list:007peter's gear list
Canon EOS M Nikon D3100 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
dpyy
Like?
Re: because NEX required a CDAF optimized lens, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 is a PDAF only lens
In reply to 007peter, Apr 18, 2013

007peter wrote:

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 like any other PDAF Canon/Nikon lens, cannot Auto-focus on CDAF camera like Sony NEX.  AFAIK, a lens is usually design as either PDAF or CDAF.  There are a selectively few lens that is hybrid (I believe sony 10-18 is sush a best) but they are rare.

If you want PDAF lens, buy a DSLR, its really that simple.  Waiting, bitching, moaning or whining won't help.

A better option is to buy the NEX-A mount adapter and then the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 zoom.  But the overall cost can be rather expensive.  Keep in mind that Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 is a BIG HEAVY LENS at 810g and will balance poorly on NEX with limited grip.  It really is a lens design for DSLR, and its best it stay there.

But I don't need PDAF in this particular case though. I'm with with a fast zoom with CDAF. Why isn't there on?

EinsteinsGhost
Like?
In reply to dpyy, Apr 19, 2013

dpyy wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

dpyy wrote:

jpr2

Why would you need a zoom by that logic? Because what about all the FL between 19 and 35?

To me a zoom lens makes sense as a convenience and low cost option to several primes. But, as cost, size and weight adds up compared to primes, there is less incentive to consider a zoom lens. This is a reason it is extremely rare for me to use a zoom lens on NEX.

With a 20mm f/2.8 (I don't really need an f/1.8 at this focal length), 35mm f/1.8 and a 50mm f/1.8, I have a better set of options and a wider range of focal length, at lower cost, lighter weight and size (combined).

Now, zoom may also make sense if under conditions when I might avoid changing lenses. However, even in this case, it is debatable if the risk of dust getting thru is worse with changing lens versus zoom action sucking in dust.

So, there are a variety of factors.

straylightrun
Contributing MemberPosts: 966Gear list
Like?

Think about it for a second. Who will buy this e-mount 18-35/1.8 besides a select few enthusiasts on this forum? They would be losing money if they made an e-mount version. Or they'll probably have to price it higher.

straylightrun's gear list:straylightrun's gear list
Sony Alpha 7S Sony a6000 Sony E 20mm F2.8 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM +11 more
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,786Gear list
Like?
Re: because NEX required a CDAF optimized lens, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 is a PDAF only lens

dpyy wrote:

But I don't need PDAF in this particular case though. I'm with with a fast zoom with CDAF. Why isn't there on?

It will work with CDAF on the LA-EA1 adapter. I think that in this particular case though, PDAF will probably work a lot better.

-- hide signature --

"The only thing that gets in the way of a really good photograph, is the camera"
Norman Parkinson

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha 7R +18 more
EinsteinsGhost
Like?
In reply to seachicken2000, Apr 19, 2013

seachicken2000 wrote:

dpyy wrote:

It will work with CDAF on the LA-EA1 adapter. I think that in this particular case though, PDAF will probably work a lot better.

HSM on my 18-250 didn't really work via LA-EA1 (works via EA2, however).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads