x100s and x100 have same focus speed most of the time

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions
polarizer
Contributing MemberPosts: 832Gear list
Like?
x100s and x100 have same focus speed most of the time
Apr 18, 2013

you will get the instant phase detection focus 20% of the time in excellent light and only 10% in moderate ight and 0% in low light

so most of the time it will be the same as x100 - therefore not worth the upgrade

polarizer's gear list:polarizer's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
polarizer
Like?
Re: x100s and x100 have same focus speed most of the time
In reply to polarizer, Apr 18, 2013

if anyone knows how to get these percentages up please let me know what i'm doing wrong

i have now set the focus box back to middle size and power management is on

BTW, its FW1.01

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JCP_76
Forum MemberPosts: 82
Like?

polarizer wrote:

therefore not worth the upgrade

Well, thanks for clearing that up.

I'm going to go and immediately throw mine in the bin.

polarizer
Like?
In reply to JCP_76, Apr 18, 2013

JCP_76 wrote:

polarizer wrote:

therefore not worth the upgrade

Well, thanks for clearing that up.

I'm going to go and immediately throw mine in the bin.

haha - no need to get defensive - its not worth it to me but you might like the other stuff and it may well be worth $ for you

are you seeing same focus behaviour?

chris80
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?

polarizer wrote:

if anyone knows how to get these percentages up please let me know what i'm doing wrong

BTW, its FW1.01

AFAIR you have to switch Power Save to Off for full AF performance.

My experience luckily is different from yours - AF under good light conditions is consistently much better than before.

tommoore_mis
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?

From what I have read, those with the original firmware 1.0 claimed faster focus speeds. Those on 1.01 don't seem to see the faster focus speeds. I have the x100s, but never had the 100, and mine came with 1.01, so I can't add any observations to the discussion. If it is firmware, hopefully, we will see that improved upon in the future.

polarizer
Like?
In reply to chris80, Apr 18, 2013

chris80 wrote:

polarizer wrote:

BTW, its FW1.01

My experience luckily is different from yours - AF under good light conditions is consistently much better than before.

thanks I have that switched off

what FW are you running?

polarizer
Like?
In reply to tommoore_mis, Apr 18, 2013

tommoore_mis wrote:

From what I have read, those with the original firmware 1.0 claimed faster focus speeds. Those on 1.01 don't seem to see the faster focus speeds. I have the x100s, but never had the 100, and mine came with 1.01, so I can't add any observations to the discussion. If it is firmware, hopefully, we will see that improved upon in the future.

i think FUji could make this right in the fullness of time with successive FW upgrades and thus make the upgrade worthwhile in the long term but it will require patience (similar to all their other product introductions)

sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,572Gear list
Like?
In reply to chris80, Apr 18, 2013

chris80 wrote:

polarizer wrote:

BTW, its FW1.01

+1 - my AF is appreciably faster except in low light when it is about the same.

Note that in addition to turning power save to off, using AF-C also gives very fast AF performance.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
sgoldswo
Like?
In reply to tommoore_mis, Apr 18, 2013

tommoore_mis wrote:

I have FW 1.01 and my X100S AF is faster than my old X100

christy88
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
In reply to sgoldswo, Apr 18, 2013

I was this close to getting one today at the airport but held off. From all the replies on FujiX-Forum It looks like only the Japanese and APAC models (serial letter 0 and M) do not suffer from AF lag (irrespective of firmware). Perhaps getting an import from Digitalrev aint such a bad idea - not withstanding the lack of original receipt / fuji warranty..

sgoldswo
Like?
In reply to christy88, Apr 18, 2013

christy88 wrote:

I was this close to getting one today at the airport but held off. From all the replies on FujiX-Forum It looks like only the Japanese and APAC models (serial letter 0 and M) do not suffer from AF lag (irrespective of firmware). Perhaps getting an import from Digitalrev aint such a bad idea - not withstanding the lack of original receipt / fuji warranty..

Mine is a UK model

christy88
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
In reply to sgoldswo, Apr 18, 2013

sgoldswo wrote:

christy88 wrote:

Mine is a UK model

you sure? uk model should be 31N. can u confirm?

polarizer
Like?
Mine is Canadian model 31A - nt
In reply to christy88, Apr 18, 2013

christy88 wrote:

sgoldswo wrote:

christy88 wrote:

Mine is a UK model

you sure? uk model should be 31N. can u confirm?

LaFonte
Senior MemberPosts: 2,651Gear list
Like?
In reply to christy88, Apr 19, 2013

christy88 wrote:

This is a totally in line of an urban legend. They don't make different models for different countries  it is the same camera with different stickers. The phase detection is not same as the phase detection in dslr. The purpose of the on chip phase detection is to determine if the lens is currently in back or front focus and then move it accordingly correct way. But the actual focus is not done by this - the differential in phase is too small for correct pinpoint focus, it is just for direction. When it gets the direction right the lens doesn't need to go full cyc down then up it simply goes in right direction, the saving in time could be easily 3x. You want to avoid the case when it starts wrong direction because then it would need to cycle lens twice and it will be slower than without ph. So if it is not 90% sure it doesn't engage at all. It is really a bit flimsy system that only improve chances of faster focus, but it isn't faster focus per se. Still in average it should improve the chances of faster focus from x100, but not like dslr speeds.

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
polarizer
Like?
In reply to LaFonte, Apr 19, 2013

LaFonte wrote:

This is a totally in line of an urban legend. They don't make different models for different countries  it is the same camera with different stickers. The phase detection is not same as the phase detection in dslr. The purpose of the on chip phase detection is to determine if the lens is currently in back or front focus and then move it accordingly correct way. But the actual focus is not done by this - the differential in phase is too small for correct pinpoint focus, it is just for direction. When it gets the direction right the lens doesn't need to go full cyc down then up it simply goes in right direction, the saving in time could be easily 3x. You want to avoid the case when it starts wrong direction because then it would need to cycle lens twice and it will be slower than without ph. So if it is not 90% sure it doesn't engage at all. It is really a bit flimsy system that only improve chances of faster focus, but it isn't faster focus per se. Still in average it should improve the chances of faster focus from x100, but not like dslr speeds.

that is true

but i am seeing more of the scanning of the whole focus range in most of the cases

polarizer
Like?
AF box size
In reply to polarizer, Apr 19, 2013

i am not finding a difference between medium and smallest box size in terms on AF speed in AFS mode

chris80
New MemberPosts: 17
Like?
In reply to polarizer, Apr 20, 2013

FW 1.01, and SN starts with 31Q (probably Germany)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads