best flash accessory for night run?

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions
b4cktr4ck
Regular MemberPosts: 143Gear list
Like?
best flash accessory for night run?
Apr 18, 2013

Hi,

I will be taking some pictures of a night run (Glow Run) on Saturday and will use my 430EX on camera for practicality.

What is the best accessory to use to get some good shots?

I have the diffuser cap , a mini softbox , or I could use a self made bounce card (similar to the one comes with the 580EX) ?. I have also seen bounce cards like these but I'm afraid I'm too late to get one

Using the mini softbox the light seems to be still hard, maybe using the diffuser cap + mini softbox?

Any suggestions on settings? bump ISO to get some ambient, mid aperture to get group of people (5-6) in focus

thanks in advance,

Mike

b4cktr4ck's gear list:b4cktr4ck's gear list
Canon EOS 6D
Clueless Wanderer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
Re: best flash accessory for night run?
In reply to b4cktr4ck, Apr 18, 2013

Best single accessory for any flash is the means to get the flash 'Off camera'. If possible, I would put the flash on a tripod to your side, the side determined by which way the riders are riding. They should pass camera first, flash second.

Clueless Wanderer's gear list:Clueless Wanderer's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Clueless Wanderer
Like?
In reply to Clueless Wanderer, Apr 18, 2013

..Keep your apertures in the low numbers to save batteries and give good recycle times...

Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +21 more
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,221Gear list
Like?
In reply to b4cktr4ck, Apr 19, 2013

b4cktr4ck wrote:

Hi,

I will be taking some pictures of a night run (Glow Run) on Saturday and will use my 430EX on camera for practicality.

What is the best accessory to use to get some good shots?

I have the diffuser cap , a mini softbox , or I could use a self made bounce card (similar to the one comes with the 580EX) ?. I have also seen bounce cards like these but I'm afraid I'm too late to get one

Using the mini softbox the light seems to be still hard, maybe using the diffuser cap + mini softbox?

The diffuser cap converts the flash into a pseudo bare bulb flash, sending light out in all directions.  In a small room with light colored walls and ceiling the light bounces off the walls and ceiling and back onto the subject, softening the light by diffusing the highlights and shadows. It can be a good accessory in these cases.

In a room with brightly colored walls or ceiling the bounce light picks up the color of the walls and color contaminates your subject so it is not a good accessory to use in those cases.

Outdoors all the light sent in any direction except straight at the subject is wasted so all you get is batteries that are exhausted sooner.

The mini softbox is too little to soften light beyond about 2'.  It is a good accessory for macro photography.

Any suggestions on settings? bump ISO to get some ambient, mid aperture to get group of people (5-6) in focus

The best way is to do what Clueless Wanderer suggested, get your flash off-camera and on a stand.  Add an umbrella if you want the light to be softer but be sure to have someone holding the stand since even the gentlest breeze will catch the umbrella and blow over the stand.

In your case I suggest a 43"-46" umbrella to give you light over the entire subject - a smaller umbrella won't spread the light out enough.

Yongnuo RF-602s or RF-603s will give you remote triggering of the flash without a cord.

I suggest you read Lighting 101 on how Dave Hobby uses a stand & umbrella with off-camera flash.

Strobist - David Hobby's Site

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
b4cktr4ck
Like?
In reply to Sailor Blue, Apr 19, 2013

thanks for the suggestion, but due to the conditions and moving around I cannot use a stand and off camera flash.

What I am asking is what is the best/accessory way to take these photo with on camera flash?

What would you do if you only had the on camera flash?

Canon EOS 6D
DVasquez
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?

b4cktr4ck wrote:

thanks for the suggestion, but due to the conditions and moving around I cannot use a stand and off camera flash.

What I am asking is what is the best/accessory way to take these photo with on camera flash?

I would do a search on flickr on glow run and see what settings are being used for various pictures. To me it seems no flash. I think your best bet is a fast lens, a canon 50mm 1.8 prime and disable the flash on the camera but use the flash as it has focus assist which is a great asset. Also I would get a TTL-Off-Camera Flash Cord for Canon EOS - 3' or 6' which you can still use on the fly as you would hold the camera in one hand and the flash in another for better looking flash photography.

This video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib_GjcYVgmY is helpful and also has an interesting  ring flash accessory.

DVasquez
Junior MemberPosts: 47
Like?
In reply to DVasquez, Apr 19, 2013

Short on cash but are handy try this for a ring flash.  http://www.diy-lighting-kits.com/

LincolnB
Senior MemberPosts: 3,679Gear list
Like?

b4cktr4ck wrote:

Bring a friend and use them as the "voice activated light stand".

I'd leave my flash at home or find some other event to take pictures. Seriously, that's what I'd do.

LincolnB's gear list:LincolnB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
Sailor Blue
Like?
In reply to b4cktr4ck, Apr 20, 2013

b4cktr4ck wrote:

I would buy a monopod, an umbrella adapter, and a 24" umbrella then mount my flash on the monopod with the umbrella and hold it with my left hand while shooting with my right.  It is all there in Lighting101 on David Hobby's Strobist blog.

Joe McNally's "Da Grip" can also be used by right eye shooters.

Joe McNally - Da Grip - YouTube

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Clueless Wanderer
Like?
In reply to Sailor Blue, Apr 21, 2013

Sailor Blue wrote:

b4cktr4ck wrote:

I would buy a monopod, an umbrella adapter, and a 24" umbrella then mount my flash on the monopod with the umbrella and hold it with my left hand while shooting with my right.  It is all there in Lighting101 on David Hobby's Strobist blog.

Joe McNally's "Da Grip" can also be used by right eye shooters.

Joe McNally - Da Grip - YouTube

-- hide signature --

Man I tried this.. All I can say is that David Hobby must have some killer forearms

b4cktr4ck
Like?
In reply to Sailor Blue, Apr 22, 2013

I really appreciate the feedback and the time taken, but honestly have you ever seen pro photographers at run events roaming around with umbrellas? me not, and the other night was no exception. yes they had monopods but on camera flash with diffuser or ring

Canon EOS 6D
Sailor Blue
Like?
In reply to b4cktr4ck, Apr 23, 2013

b4cktr4ck wrote:

I really appreciate the feedback and the time taken, but honestly have you ever seen pro photographers at run events roaming around with umbrellas? me not, and the other night was no exception. yes they had monopods but on camera flash with diffuser or ring

Deer in the headlights images.

Set yourself apart and get better images by using that umbrella.

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Clueless Wanderer
Like?
In reply to b4cktr4ck, Apr 24, 2013

b4cktr4ck wrote:

..And Thats why your images will be different from the crowds (not doing as they do) .. ..

Daniel Lauring
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,401Gear list
Like?
In reply to b4cktr4ck, Apr 24, 2013

b4cktr4ck wrote:

You are right.  It is hard to walk around with such a setup.  On the other hand, many photographers will come early and work with officials to set up lights for their shoot.  They might, for example, have a light clamped to a sign or light post and work a spot that it illuminates.  You see this all the time at indoor events.  At an outdoor event it will tie you to a location, but that is often how it is done.

Daniel Lauring's gear list:Daniel Lauring's gear list
Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,460
Like?
In reply to b4cktr4ck, May 1, 2013

b4cktr4ck wrote:

Then don't bother.

Accessories will consume (waste) power with making any noticable improvement to the light quality.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
:
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

xuser
Regular MemberPosts: 128Gear list
Like?
In reply to b4cktr4ck, May 2, 2013

I got these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=orderHistory&A=details&Q=&sku=873367&is=REG

I have not had much time to test them but so far so good.

xuser's gear list:xuser's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads