Sigma 18-35 f1.8 for Pentax?

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions
Aidan Gibson
Forum MemberPosts: 98Gear list
Like?
Sigma 18-35 f1.8 for Pentax?
Apr 18, 2013

Hi there!

Sigma just announced 18-35 F1.8!!! Anybody know if it will be out for pentax? Should be a good lens, price hasn't been announced yet. I guess it is going to cost a fortune.

Aidan Gibson's gear list:Aidan Gibson's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +2 more
sfa1966
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,221Gear list
Like?
Not for Pentax ...
In reply to Aidan Gibson, Apr 18, 2013

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51311151

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
sfa

sfa1966's gear list:sfa1966's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jonny1976
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,006Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 18-35 f1.8 for Pentax?

Aidan Gibson wrote:

Hi there!

Sigma just announced 18-35 F1.8!!! Anybody know if it will be out for pentax? Should be a good lens, price hasn't been announced yet. I guess it is going to cost a fortune.

sigma is abandoning the kmount. or at least is not releasing nothing for pentax....probably they have number showing there is no benefit. is strange because actually kmount users are those after canon that probably invest more in lenses,following the ditto lenses stay bodes go,

but of 4 new lenses 3 are not in lkmount and all the most interesting especiallty the long tele. this zoom look incredibly good and a prime in photo world. this kind of zoom seems similar to that it's in roadmap but im' sure faster. this is the kind of lens pentax should do for us.

-- hide signature --

www.jonathaborzicchi.com

jonny1976's gear list:jonny1976's gear list
Nikon D2X
Steve1307
Regular MemberPosts: 303Gear list
Like?

Aidan Gibson wrote:

Hi there!

Hi

Yes they did

No it won't

Should be, but damn its heavy.

I suspect it will

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/sigma-18-35mm-f-1-8-dc-lens-hands-on-preview-21775?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ephotozine%2Freviews+(ePHOTOzine+Reviews)

Steve1307's gear list:Steve1307's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax Q Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +13 more
Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,223Gear list
Like?
Sigma's lens business: each new lens, few mounts drop off

Aidan Gibson wrote:

Hi there!

Now Sigma makes this lens only for Canon, Nikon and .. themselves.

When they make a new one, they'll drop off Nikon. But they'll support their mount till the end, for all the hundreds of thousands of SD1s that are selling in truckloads each month, yes.

It would be interesting to see the real world figures, but it hints lens making business alone isn't a glorious one. Or the badly done camera making hobby.

And after all that, you really want Sigma .. to support Pentax K-mount?

-- hide signature --

Zvonimir Tosic
“A portrait is not made in the camera, but on either side of it.”
— Edward Steichen

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,976
Like?

Looks like it would be a fun lens to play with and those people who call 810g heavy are just pitiful, I probably can't even do more than one push-up but 810g isn't heavy fro me! i think the weight complainers are just trying to find something to complain about. anyhow i'll bet the lens will be no less then $1500

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,799Gear list
Like?

Aidan Gibson wrote:

Hi there!

Sometimes they announce them later for Sony/Pentax, sometimes not.  I suggest contacting Sigma and asking for it.

I am excited to finally see an equivalent lens for APS-C.  The range is very limited though, but should probably be fine.  I might sell my Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 and get that instead if the price is right, but don't know that it would really get me a lot.  I wish it went to 45 or 50mm instead.

If it is sharp at f/1.8 it would tempt me, if not I would just keep the Nikkor.

I was hoping Pentax would be the first to make an f/2 or faster zoom since they seem dedicated to APS-C.  It would have really prevented the need for full frame at all, but then people start to realize that equivalent APS-C lenses are usually more expensive

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
JayBratcher
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?
In reply to viking79, Apr 18, 2013

viking79 wrote:

Aidan Gibson wrote:

Hi there!

Sometimes they announce them later for Sony/Pentax, sometimes not.  I suggest contacting Sigma and asking for it.

Very true - I noticed that the new 35mm f/1.4 is now listed as available in a Pentax mount on the Sigma website.  I have very high hopes that this 18-35 lens will find its way to Pentax as well.  I have had very good experience with my limited number of Sigma lenses...

I was hoping Pentax would be the first to make an f/2 or faster zoom since they seem dedicated to APS-C.  It would have really prevented the need for full frame at all, but then people start to realize that equivalent APS-C lenses are usually more expensive

For what it's worth though, the fast FF lenses are just as expensive (I'm looking at you, Nikon 24mm f/1.4).

JayBratcher's gear list:JayBratcher's gear list
Nikon D70 Pentax K-5 IIs Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 24mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM +9 more
leopold
Forum ProPosts: 12,778Gear list
Like?
Mike....
In reply to MightyMike, Apr 18, 2013

You're right, imagine the weight and space all the  lenses it replaces would take in a camera bag !!!

Even at that weight it's not that bad.

If it's a good performer (which it should be considering the latest Sigma lenses), i might be tempted to buy one for my C* 7D.

Will see.

leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
moving_comfort
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,941Gear list
Like?

viking79 wrote:...

Yes

Still, you gotta hand it to Sigma - a bold step from a company that's increasingly been showing us neat things.  And it's nice to have options.

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
leopold
Like?
Sigma is pushing everyones...

Good to see them pushing the other brands with their new ART series

Good for us !

Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
Jim in Hudson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,211Gear list
Like?

viking79 wrote:

Aidan Gibson wrote:

Hi there!

I am excited to finally see an equivalent lens for APS-C.  The range is very limited though, but should probably be fine.  I might sell my Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 and get that instead if the price is right, but don't know that it would really get me a lot.  I wish it went to 45 or 50mm instead.

If it is sharp at f/1.8 it would tempt me, if not I would just keep the Nikkor.

Eric

Quite possibly they wait to see the reaction and sales level for Nikon and Canon mounts (which obviously would be higher than for Pentax and Sony).  This would give them an idea of whether it makes sense for them to also go forward with the other mounts.

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +3 more
temama
Regular MemberPosts: 362
Like?
Sigma pushing Pentax to the end!
In reply to leopold, Apr 18, 2013

leopold wrote:

Good for us !

Hardly. Do you really think that it is good for us, that Sigma does not produce all the great new lenses for Pentax K mount?

If this trend continues, Pentax will faint dead!!

Pentax needs Sigma (and Tamron, Samyang) support, because clearly Pentax does not have the capacity to produce all the necessary lenses to us.

And then ... the price issue also ...

leopold
Like?
Re: Sigma pushing Pentax to the end!
In reply to temama, Apr 18, 2013

temama wrote:

leopold wrote:

Good for us !

Hardly. Do you really think that it is good for us, that Sigma does not produce all the great new lenses for Pentax K mount?

Pentax needs Sigma (and Tamron, Samyang) support, because clearly Pentax does not have the capacity to produce all the necessary lenses to us.

I was talking more general .... for consumers.

temama
Like?
No Pentax support? It is wrong to support only a few platform!!
In reply to Jim in Hudson, Apr 18, 2013

What happened to Microsoft and its IE browser only integration? Right, it was not accepted, and microsoft had to pay for it! And now it will have to give support for all web browser. That competition is not distorted.

Sigma's case, I think it is wrong to support only a few platform.

Jim in Hudson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,211Gear list
Like?
Re: No Pentax support? It is wrong to support only a few platform!!
In reply to temama, Apr 18, 2013

temama wrote:

What happened to Microsoft and its IE browser only integration? Right, it was not accepted, and microsoft had to pay for it! And now it will have to give support for all web browser. That competition is not distorted.

Microsoft, at that time, was judged as being in a monopoly position with operating systems and that's why they had settle.  There isn't a monopoly in cameras.

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +3 more
temama
Like?
Re: No Pentax support? It is wrong to support only a few platform!!
In reply to Jim in Hudson, Apr 18, 2013

Jim in Hudson wrote:

temama wrote:

Microsoft, at that time, was judged as being in a monopoly position with operating systems and that's why they had settle.  There isn't a monopoly in cameras.

Does Apple have anything to do with the little monopolies?

Anyway, of course, these cases can't be compared directly with each other.

But perhaps you understood what I basicly meant?

Sigma has become more and more bigger factor in the cameraworld.

temama
Like?
Re: Sigma pushing Pentax to the end!
In reply to leopold, Apr 18, 2013

leopold wrote:

temama wrote:

leopold wrote:

Good for us !

I was talking more general .... for consumers.

"The end" is also quite unambiguous concept, for consumers

moving_comfort
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,941Gear list
Like?
Sigma is not reading this thread

Anyone who wants this lens in Pentax mount should waste no more time in this thread and use your keystrokes emailing Sigma!

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

moving_comfort's gear list:moving_comfort's gear list
Pentax K20D Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +10 more
Ari Aikomus
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,012
Like?
Re: Sigma is not reading this thread
In reply to moving_comfort, Apr 18, 2013

moving_comfort wrote:

Anyone who wants this lens in Pentax mount should waste no more time in this thread and use your keystrokes emailing Sigma!

So true. I'm going to do it.

cheers,

Ari

-- hide signature --

http://koti.mbnet.fi/tidis/AAikomus.jpg
- Ari Aikomus -
'Why should I feel lonely ? is not our planet in the Milky way?'

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads