Fujifilm selling Sigma lenses?

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Questions
urs_tha
Regular MemberPosts: 115
Like?
Fujifilm selling Sigma lenses?
Apr 18, 2013

Hello fellows!

Looking for the announcement of the new 55-200mm XF- lens, I went to Fujifilm's Swiss homepage and found out, that Fujifilm Switzerland sells Sigma lenses...

http://www.fujifilm.ch/de/s/kameras-+-zubehoer/zubehoer/objektive

http://www.fujifilm.ch/de/s/kameras-+-zubehoer/zubehoer/objektive

Does anybody know what this is all about...?

Fujifilm seems to be rather keen to cooperate with other companies and brands, as the history shows: They produce lenses for television-cameras and they produced bodies for Nikon - lenses (there is a petition to offer a decent AF-capable adapter for those who have Nikon-lenses from the S5pro - era, it is discussed here on dpreview in this thread ).

And Fujifilm seems to cooperate with Zeiss now and even inlclude the Zeiss lenses in their own XF-roadmap.

But what makes it really bizzare in this case is the fact, that the lenses currently offered on Fujifilms website do not seem to fit on any Fujifilm - camera, but rather on Canon and Sigma SLRs !

Who can help me understand, what this is all about? Would be great anyway, if we could count with Sigma-lenses for our X-system-cameras, sometimes Sigma brings out quite remarkable lenses (one of the best lenses I remember having used was Sigma, but this was many years ago).

Anyway, some 3rd party additions to complete the Fujfifilm roadmap would certainly be welcomed by many. But I suppose this is all a bit too optimistic, and probably there is quite a simple reason why Fuji sells Sigma lenses to fit Canon cameras

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Casio Exilim EX-S5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ulrikem
Regular MemberPosts: 189Gear list
Like?
Re: Fujifilm selling Sigma lenses?
In reply to urs_tha, Apr 18, 2013

Hi

As far as I know, Fujifilm Switzerland is not run by Fuji themselves, i.e. a 'branch' of the company. Fujifilm Switzerland is an independent company, they simply own the rights to import and sell Fuji products - and use their name. This means that the may sell whatever they like, other than Fuji's own products - possibly they must not sell products that are in direct competition, which holds for the sigma lenses you mentioned.

ulrikem's gear list:ulrikem's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
unotisto
Regular MemberPosts: 235
Like?
In reply to ulrikem, Apr 18, 2013

Interesting. On a recent photo equipment fair here, Fujifilm Slovenia too seemed to be represented by a company which also represents Sigma.

ulrikem
Regular MemberPosts: 189Gear list
Like?
In reply to unotisto, Apr 18, 2013

I believe that's the way Fujifilm operates in lot of smaller countries like Switzerland or Slovenia. It's not worth for them to open an own branch there, the market is too tiny.

ulrikem's gear list:ulrikem's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more
BillyInya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,221Gear list
Like?
In reply to urs_tha, Apr 19, 2013

Nothing surprises me when I hear this sort of thing.

They do everything, Fuji make Hasselblad lenses, re-badged under the Hasselblad name. They make the most expensive lenses for the Cinematography industry. The last three Happy Potter films were shot using well over a million dollars worth of Fuji lenses. Disney in the U.S. uses Fuji cine lenses.

If that wasn't enough Sony is one of Fuji's biggest customers for the supply of semi-conductor production chemicals and materials. Sony would not be able to produce its sensors without Fuji!!

Solar power, nuclear medicine the list of industries where Fuji is a major player is amazing. Make no mistake they are a mammoth enterprise.

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Nikon D7000 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +8 more
JasperD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,661
Like?
In reply to ulrikem, Apr 19, 2013

It´s only about two lenses though, the 10-20 UWA for Canon and the 18-50 for Sigma mount, both crop sensor items. Sure, I´d not be looking at Fujifilm´s site if I was looking for any of those two.

The official Sigma importer is Ott + Wyss: http://www.sigma-photo.ch, no signs of anything Sigma for XF mount alas. I have a few very good ones of theirs on my DSLRs though. They usually don´t sell their lenses to private customers, but will gladly direct you to someone nearby.

urs_tha
Regular MemberPosts: 115
Like?
In reply to BillyInya, Apr 19, 2013

BillyInya wrote:

Nothing surprises me when I hear this sort of thing.

They do everything, Fuji make Hasselblad lenses, re-badged under the Hasselblad name. They make the most expensive lenses for the Cinematography industry. The last three Happy Potter films were shot using well over a million dollars worth of Fuji lenses. Disney in the U.S. uses Fuji cine lenses.

If that wasn't enough Sony is one of Fuji's biggest customers for the supply of semi-conductor production chemicals and materials. Sony would not be able to produce its sensors without Fuji!!

Solar power, nuclear medicine the list of industries where Fuji is a major player is amazing. Make no mistake they are a mammoth enterprise.

Right. This explains a lot. Cheers

TwoMetreBill
Regular MemberPosts: 292
Like?
In reply to urs_tha, Apr 23, 2013

Fuji is a mammoth enterprise but insignificant in the still camera industry, they could shut down the camera division tomorrow with no impact on their bottom line. Actually a positive impact because all the financial reviews I've seen state that Fuji loses money on every camera / lens that it sells.

-- hide signature --

Bill

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads