Nikon to Pentax K adapter

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions
emem
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,300Gear list
Like?
Nikon to Pentax K adapter
Apr 18, 2013

Does anyone use such a thing? If so what make and how good is it in practical terms? Can you use AF or is it purely manual? I have some nice Nikon lenses and would love to use them on my K-5.

-- hide signature --

Mike M. (emem)
www.veritasmea.com

Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Simon Devlin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,228
Like?
Re: Nikon to Pentax K adapter
In reply to emem, Apr 18, 2013

I've never heard of this marriage and if you could do, AF would never ever be compatible in a zillion years.

You could try duct tape.

Look up the web although I have never heard of it.

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
smafdy
Regular MemberPosts: 373Gear list
Like?

I wondered the same thing when I bought my Pentax bodies. I don't think the Pentax mount is adaptable to the optics of other manufacturer's glass. I think it has something to do with the mount to sensor distance, although I'm not absolutely sure of it. It does seem to me that if an adapter was possible, someone would be manufacturing it.

altis
Contributing MemberPosts: 656
Like?
steephill
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,952
Like?
Ask Ron (brandx)

A manual focus adaptor exists but it has a correction element built in because of the registration distance issue. This means it is also a teleconverter. AF is not available.

-- hide signature --

Steve
www.pbase.com/steephill

brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,574
Like?
Re: Ask Ron (brandx)
In reply to steephill, Apr 18, 2013

steephill wrote:

A manual focus adaptor exists but it has a correction element built in because of the registration distance issue. This means it is also a teleconverter. AF is not available.

You can go either way, Pentax to Nikon or Nikon to Pentax. In order to focus to infinity you need to have the glass corrective elements. It will provide a teleconverter effect of about 1.25 to 1.3X. You can get them without the glass corrective elements also but you lose infinity focus. These things are cheap enough that it is worth a try IMO. I don't remember which one that I bought. I think they are all pretty much the same thing. The one with the glass corrective elements work best with very good lenses.

Nikon PK adapter

I bought one with and one without the glass corrective elements to use with a Nikon 400mm f2.8 AI-S manual focusing lens. Without the glass corrective elements It will only focus to about 100 feet.  However, I did find out that my Nikon 400mm f2.8 + Nikon TC-301 2X teleconverter will focus to infinity with a Nikon-PK adapter that does not have the glass corrective elements. With a Nikon 1.4X TC it will focus to about 400 feet. With a Nikon TC16A 1.6X AF Adapter (set to it's infinity position) it will focus to about 600 to 700 feet. With the glass corective elements Nikon-PK adapter I do have a loos of IQ but not too much IMO. It is still very usable. I also use it with my Pentax 1.7X AF Adapter to make for a 400mm times 1.3X times 1.7X (884mm) autofocusing lens.

Forum member Ari Aikomus modified a Pentax K-mount Kenko 1.5X teleconverter to take a Nikon lens on the lens mount side

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

emem
Like?
In reply to brandrx, Apr 18, 2013

Thanks for the detailed response Ron - appreciate it. I did find a Nikon-PK adapter online after I started this thread which allows you to remove the glass element. Not sure how that will work but I might give it a try.

-- hide signature --

Mike M. (emem)
www.veritasmea.com

brandrx
Forum ProPosts: 25,574
Like?

emem wrote:

Thanks for the detailed response Ron - appreciate it. I did find a Nikon-PK adapter online after I started this thread which allows you to remove the glass element. Not sure how that will work but I might give it a try.

I did the same thing with my original one that I bought. However, when I wanted to screw it (the elements) back in I had a problem keeping them (there are two lens elements) clean. I found it was less hassle to just buy one with glass elements and one without glass elements.

EDIT: Also take not that without the glass elements you cannot focus to infinity. My 400/2.8 will focus to about 100 feet. I remember trying it with a Nikon 200mm macro and I think it would only focus to about 10 feet. So, even shorter focal length lenses will have even shorter maximum focusing distances when used with a glassless adapter. I always wanted to try a glassless adapter with a Nikon 800mm f5.6 just to see hor far I could focus but I didn't want to spend over $3000 just to do that test.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'
'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

beholder3
Regular MemberPosts: 259
Like?
hahaha

I just read this thread, became curious and had a very interesting moment...

I just happen to own a Nikkor AF-S 14-24mm 1:2,8G ED which I use on a adapter on my 5D3 since Canon seems unable to produce tolerable quality UWA zoom lenses...

Since I read this here, I thought, well let's see if I can just manually hold the lens in front of my K-5IIs and see the difference in flange distance and if I can focus at very close distance.

Surprise 1:

I did have to change my plan as I can actually just screw the Nikkor into the K-5IIs mount. It's just a little and is not locked at all, but otherwise it fits perfectly. The rubber ring on the lens provides enough friction so there is no risk of the lens immediately falling off by unintentional unscrewing.

Surprise 2:

Since it's an AF lens, makers tend to not put a physical blocker at the infinity setting of a lens so AF drives don't directly smash into it. So you can focus somewhat "beyond infinity".

And guess what? That actually does allow to focus at infinity on the K-5IIs!

No adapter needed, no nothing.

I just stuck some small piece of cardboard behind the aperture lever (G lenses don't have aperture rings like our DAs) to keep the lens at f/2.8 and it seems to work perfectly.

Tomorrow when the sun is up again I will make some pictures to check if it really is full infinity focus, but it seems so.

That is why I went "hahaha".

Sometimes you just have to try things out.

If you don't believe it, walk into a camera store with your Pentax and try for yourself.

emem
Like?
Re: hahaha
In reply to beholder3, Apr 19, 2013

I have read that you can attach a Nikon lens to a Pentax camera but it doesn't "lock" into position and is precarious to say the least.

I already have a bunch of Nikon glass, including the Tokina 12-24 f4, which is the same lens as the Pentax 12-24 f4 BUT AT HALF THE COST. That's one of the things that prompted me to try Nikon - I was totally pi$$ed off (and still am actually) that the agreement between Tokina and Pentax prevented me from buying that Tokina lens in a K mount while Pentax gouged us for the extra dollars. It's a great lens but there is no way this side of Hades that I'll shell out $900 for something that should cost me $450.

(Note to Self:- calm down Michael. Don't get upset. Remember you're trying to be a good little forum member and trying hard to behave yourself and be agreeable).

-- hide signature --

Mike M. (emem)
www.veritasmea.com

james laubscher
Senior MemberPosts: 1,174
Like?

Now that's what I call a useful post. I look forward to the results of your 'experiment'. In the meantime, I'll see if I can do the same.

Now, does anyone know if you can attach a Pentax lens to a Nikon F mount? I have a great Pentax SMC 1.7 50mm that is pinsharp and free of aberrations.

-- hide signature --

jamesza

beholder3
Regular MemberPosts: 259
Like?
In reply to james laubscher, Apr 19, 2013

james laubscher wrote:

Now that's what I call a useful post. I look forward to the results of your 'experiment'. In the meantime, I'll see if I can do the same.

I'd call that ok:

http://www10.pic-upload.de/19.04.13/dfvkv8dbp2a.jpg

Setup:

http://www10.pic-upload.de/19.04.13/3fztduqdbj1b.jpg

awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,682Gear list
Like?
In reply to emem, Apr 19, 2013

emem wrote:

I have read that you can attach a Nikon lens to a Pentax camera but it doesn't "lock" into position and is precarious to say the least.

I already have a bunch of Nikon glass, including the Tokina 12-24 f4, which is the same lens as the Pentax 12-24 f4 BUT AT HALF THE COST. That's one of the things that prompted me to try Nikon - I was totally pi$$ed off (and still am actually) that the agreement between Tokina and Pentax prevented me from buying that Tokina lens in a K mount while Pentax gouged us for the extra dollars. It's a great lens but there is no way this side of Hades that I'll shell out $900 for something that should cost me $450.

Seems counter productive to me , So Pentax sell a known lens for double price by closed shop contracts.

What does Pentax think we'll consider the price of their bespoke lens ??

Another example of Pentax shooting themselves in the foot.

If they had an ounce of PR acumen they'd hurt themselves.

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
hanhait
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029Gear list
Like?

I read somewhere that when designing the bayonet, Nikon and Pentax worked together; just they separated just before the end. This explains why the lenses 'almost' fit to the other brand, and also why a one-to-one adapter is not feasible, as there is no room in either bayonet type to put something to make it fit to another smaller-size lens bayonet.

Of course with proper intermediate optics a 1:1 converter could be made but obviously no one sees a market for that.

hanhait's gear list:hanhait's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K-5 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +5 more
paulkienitz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,715Gear list
Like?

beholder3 wrote:

I did have to change my plan as I can actually just screw the Nikkor into the K-5IIs mount. It's just a little and is not locked at all, but otherwise it fits perfectly.

I've been known to jam F-mount lenses into an OM-mount film body.  There might be lots of combinations that work.

-- hide signature --

Q with 02 zoom and Nikkor 180/2.8 ED for birding
K10D, Sig 17-70, DA 55-300, FA 50/1.4 "billy bass"
discards: DA 50-200 "zipper", F 100-300, Sigma 135-400 "piglet", M 400/5.6 "the Great Truncheon"

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 2,560Gear list
Like?
Re: Photodiox probably makes one.
In reply to emem, Apr 20, 2013

I tried one going the other way.  To mount an old PK/A 50mm f/2 manual lens on a Nikon D60 (CCD sensor also old tech).  It actually worked fine in completely manual mode and can focus at infinity.  I thought the fit was a little wobbly so I wouldn't use it until they come out with a pro-grade model.  I haven't checked in over a year if they have or not.  It is fun experimenting with things such as that.

Regards.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM
photoholiko
Contributing MemberPosts: 510Gear list
Like?
In reply to emem, Apr 21, 2013

I just acquired a Canon FD to PK adapter and I already have one for Nikon lenses, they both have glass elements but the FD one doesn't allow me to focus to infinity, the one for Nikon does. I have used different brand lenses with both adapters and found the results from FD lenses are not impressive on the Pentax while they do well on other cameras, howerver the Nikon mount lens do great.

photoholiko's gear list:photoholiko's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Canon EOS 70D Minolta DiMAGE 7 Olympus Stylus Tough 6020 +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads