Fuji X100s as a portrait camera

Started Apr 18, 2013 | Discussions
cali4nia love
Regular MemberPosts: 112
Like?
Fuji X100s as a portrait camera
Apr 18, 2013

I was asked to do a some portrait shot and gladly accepted. The X100s is my only camera/lens, and have never tested its performance doing portraits.

How is X100s as a portrait camera? I know there's some softness at 2.0 aperture, so I may just sit at 2.8 for blurred background. Anyone used the X100s professionally as a portrait camera?
Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
pavi1
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,109Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X100s as a portrait camera
In reply to cali4nia love, Apr 18, 2013

A portrait comes in many forms, some head to toe, some neck up. Some neither. What type are you doing?

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BrianKraft
Regular MemberPosts: 224
Like?

cali4nia love wrote:

I was asked to do a some portrait shot and gladly accepted. The X100s is my only camera/lens, and have never tested its performance doing portraits.

How is X100s as a portrait camera? I know there's some softness at 2.0 aperture, so I may just sit at 2.8 for blurred background. Anyone used the X100s professionally as a portrait camera?

As mentioned, what kind of portraiture are you looking to do? Are you familiar with using a 35mm FOV for portraits? It definitely takes some getting used to. Now that I understand it better and how it shapes things, depending on distance, I love using it for portraiture. I use a 35mm on my Canons for that a lot.

In terms of the X100S, I've used it professionally for portraits too. Not sure if it's the style you're interested in seeing, but maybe-

http://www.briankraft.com/Blog/engagement-photography/colorado-engagement-photographer/

Joachim Gerstl
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,443Gear list
Like?

It depends. The X100 can be a great camera for portraits but you need to accept it's limits. Short focal length, AF at short distances, ...

The softness at F2.0 is not a big deal but because of the short focal length it has it's limits to blur the background. The short distance to your subject can also be an issue if you do not know the person very well.

The perfect portrait setup for classical portraits is a full frame DSLR with a fast 85mm lens but portraits with the X100 are possible. Here is one of my favorites.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D +17 more
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,621Gear list
Like?

cali4nia love wrote:

Conventionally portraits taken with a WA lens make the subject wider, which means that fat to average people can look, well, fatter than they really are. That's why (amongst other reasons) there is a convention of using 90mm (and longer) lenses on FF for portraiture because it has the opposite effect (it makes people look thinner).

Frankly, with a 35mm equivalent lens I don't think it really makes people look fat, though I'm not sure if I would use a 35mm lens for a straight on head shot. The biggest reason (of the other reasons I refer to above) is to throw backgrounds attractively out of focus. Only you will know if that's what is required here. Personally, if all I had was the X100S I would go for full body shots with a neutral background (e.g. open space, not tree branches).

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
jonnie burtoft
Regular MemberPosts: 472
Like?

Foe me the x100 and the 35mm lens excel at environmental portraits, also using the flash at high shutter speeds can give you some good effects. For head and shoulders shots wide angle style distortion may be an issue. You have to get close for portraits and can be a bit intimidating for the model, just mention this before you go diving in!

Cheers Jon

NachoYogi
Regular MemberPosts: 142Gear list
Like?

This posting may help answer that question:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51290482

NachoYogi's gear list:NachoYogi's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot S110 Fujifilm X100S Nikon D300S Fujifilm X-Pro1 +4 more
ithinkihaveacat
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?

I think it does okay--see below.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/thesardoniciconic/ also has some really good more "conventional" portraits.  --M.

ithinkihaveacat's gear list:ithinkihaveacat's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm X100S DxO FilmPack 4 Essential
Andrei Nicoara
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?

As long as you fight the need to compose very tightly you should be ok.

Traditionally the 35mm is not a portrait lens, but for candid / street / setting portrait you can do some great photographs. I found a flickr stream of portraits done with the Fuji X100s and I love them - http://www.flickr.com/photos/thesardoniciconic/

I would say give it a try!(and do not get too close to the subject, as that is the time when unflattering distortions can appear)

-- hide signature --

http://www.andreinicoara.com - travel photography

Andrei Nicoara's gear list:Andrei Nicoara's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads