Jim Cassatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,566Gear list
Like?
Fujinon XF 55-200 mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS --preorder
Apr 17, 2013

Just preordered from B&H.  The price was $699.00

-- hide signature --
 Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 +18 more
Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?
Re: Fujinon XF 55-200 mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS --preorder
In reply to Jim Cassatt, Apr 17, 2013

Pre-ordered here as well. Hopefully it pops up on Amazon soon, as I have better luck getting pre-orders quicker with them.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,380Gear list
Like?
In reply to Asylum Photo, Apr 17, 2013

Asylum Photo wrote:

Pre-ordered here as well. Hopefully it pops up on Amazon soon, as I have better luck getting pre-orders quicker with them.

-- hide signature --

I love B&H but I am more of an Amazon guy since I have an Amazon Visa card and get triple rewards (3% back in Amazon credit) for orders.

I would preorder but I will hold off since I wanted it for a trip in late May but it will not likely ship before I leave. Aside from that I generally do not want the first batch of anything unless I need it. I got screwed really bad on the first Nikon D200 which had to go in for repairs 5x before Nikon replaced it.

Anyway, I want this lens and if it is as good as I hope (similar to the Fuji 18-55 zoom) with this purchase I will seriously consider selling off my Nikon D300 and lenses and go all in on the Fuji. Except for wildlife, which I rarely shoot these day, the fuji is where it is at for me. DR, colors, WB, sharpness, size, weight...

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,024Gear list
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, Apr 17, 2013

Anyway, I want this lens and if it is as good as I hope (similar to the Fuji 18-55 zoom) with this purchase I will seriously consider selling off my Nikon D300 and lenses and go all in on the Fuji. Except for wildlife, which I rarely shoot these day, the fuji is where it is at for me. DR, colors, WB, sharpness, size, weight...

Me too, same with the EOS gear...

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
Edward Rauschkolb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,032Gear list
Like?
I did as well

The longer lens will hopefully allow a more general purpose use of the system for events, family, etc and still keep the overall system weight well under 2Kg without a sacrifice of IQ.

Although I rarely (about 10%) use lenses longer than about 90-100mm equivalent, there are times that animals, famnily & events, etc require more.  I expect many to feel this way anbd the lens to be in short supply for a while.

Ed

Edward Rauschkolb's gear list:Edward Rauschkolb's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Leica M9-P Olympus E-M1
ScottD1964
Contributing MemberPosts: 911Gear list
Like?
In reply to baobob, Apr 17, 2013

baobob wrote:

Same here.  With the exception of some sports shoots my EOS gear has sat in the closet since I got my X100 and now X100S.  The X100S matched with an Xpro-whatever the update may be called and a 56mm f1.2 will be a killer travel/street outfit.  Add in the long zoom and maybe another lens or two and man o man.  I'll get rid of 40 lbs of EOS, rent what I need for shoots and have a really happy shoulder.

Scott

ScottD1964's gear list:ScottD1964's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +2 more
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,380Gear list
Like?
In reply to ScottD1964, Apr 17, 2013

ScottD1964 wrote:

baobob wrote:

Same here.  With the exception of some sports shoots my EOS gear has sat in the closet since I got my X100 and now X100S.  The X100S matched with an Xpro-whatever the update may be called and a 56mm f1.2 will be a killer travel/street outfit.  Add in the long zoom and maybe another lens or two and man o man.  I'll get rid of 40 lbs of EOS, rent what I need for shoots and have a really happy shoulder.

Scott

I suspect many with do the same. I know that a lot people are not happy with the size and weight of the fuji telezoom but if it was a cheap, lightweight, slow f/6.3 lens like the competition then I would not consider selling my Nikon gear (including my wonderful 70-200 f/2.8 (old version purchased in 2005).

To me Fuji is not competing so much with Sony or Panasonic or Nikon mirrorless, it is competing, indirectly, with Leica. Only quality glass and not filled with gimmicks - a photographers camera (but not meant to do everything well, just great still photography). Fuji is the Leica I always wanted but better (ISO, AF and price).

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
ScottD1964
Contributing MemberPosts: 911Gear list
Like?

Al Valentino wrote:

ScottD1964 wrote:

baobob wrote:

Scott

I suspect many with do the same. I know that a lot people are not happy with the size and weight of the fuji telezoom but if it was a cheap, lightweight, slow f/6.3 lens like the competition then I would not consider selling my Nikon gear (including my wonderful 70-200 f/2.8 (old version purchased in 2005).

To me Fuji is not competing so much with Sony or Panasonic or Nikon mirrorless, it is competing, indirectly, with Leica. Only quality glass and not filled with gimmicks - a photographers camera (but not meant to do everything well, just great still photography). Fuji is the Leica I always wanted but better (ISO, AF and price).

Al,

I think you just hit the nail on the head as to what Zack Arias was getting at when he stated "Fuji is the new Leica".

And you're right about the size of the zoom.  It doesn't bother me (I've used a 70-200 f2.8 on a Rebel so the Fuji 55-200 is about the same form factor) but I know that Photoperzon will throw a total hissy fit about the size and weight compared with an empty toilet paper tube.

Scott

ScottD1964's gear list:ScottD1964's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +2 more
Jim Cassatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,566Gear list
Like?

I expect the 55-200 to compete well with the Canon 70-200 f4 IS with smaller size and lower weight.  If this is true, I will be a happy camper indeed as my "landscape" kit will be complete--14 mm f2.8, 35 mm f1.4, 18-55 f2.8-4 and 55-200.

Two things keep me from selling my Canon gear.  The first is that the auto focus in low light, like modeling lights in my studio is painfully slow and none of their flashes has high speed sync, making it difficult to shot outdoors with fill flash and large apertures.

-- hide signature --
 Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 +18 more
flbrit
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,089Gear list
Like?
Anyone know about tripod mounting?

I posted this also in the comments section of the DPR release. I do like to do long exposures and this is important to me.

-- hide signature --

Brian
Below is a link to a slide show of some of my snaps (you may have to copy and paste)
http://briandrinkwater.smugmug.com/Portfolio/Slide-Shows/28194522_dDKzmW#!i=2384402388&k=TJmRb5p

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D5200 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +21 more
nikoj
Contributing MemberPosts: 783Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone know about tripod mounting?
In reply to flbrit, Apr 17, 2013

It's only a 20oz lens. I don't see a need.

nikoj's gear list:nikoj's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
gearhorse
Regular MemberPosts: 115Gear list
Like?
Re: Anyone know about tripod mounting?
In reply to nikoj, Apr 18, 2013

pre ordered mine this morning, can't wait to get it.  personally i don't mind the size, and prefer the heft as i equate it with build quality.

i told myself i'd try to stick with primes, but the zooms for this system are just too nice.

gearhorse's gear list:gearhorse's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye +3 more
TexasBuyer
Regular MemberPosts: 170Gear list
Like?
Preorder now available on Adorama as well.
In reply to Jim Cassatt, Apr 19, 2013

Jim Cassatt wrote:

Just preordered from B&H.  The price was $699.00

-- hide signature --

I just checked the Adorama website and they are offering preordering as well for $699.00

ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,081Gear list
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, Apr 19, 2013

Al Valentino wrote:

Asylum Photo wrote:

-- hide signature --

I love B&H but I am more of an Amazon guy since I have an Amazon Visa card and get triple rewards (3% back in Amazon credit) for orders.

I would preorder but I will hold off since I wanted it for a trip in late May but it will not likely ship before I leave. Aside from that I generally do not want the first batch of anything unless I need it. I got screwed really bad on the first Nikon D200 which had to go in for repairs 5x before Nikon replaced it.

I am waiting for the Xpro-2 to decide if I will switch to Fuji from Panasonic. If I do I would have to use a dedicated video camera. As far as lenses go for Fuji I may copy what I did when I shot film with the Contax G2 rangefinder. I had the 28 mm, 45 mm and 90 mm. I would need equivalents for Fuji.

I rarely need telephoto. I wish Fuji had a 28-105 type all in one lens, but I am not sure of the size or weight or cost it would have to be. Even if they did like Panasonic with a 12-35 2.8 and 35-100 2.8 it would be nice.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
DTwigg
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Re: Preorder now available on Adorama as well.
In reply to TexasBuyer, Apr 19, 2013

Unlike most of you I'm not pre-ordering. My local (OK, next town over) camera shop has been very good to both my wife and I, so I'd rather wait till they get one in and give my business (and my dollars) to them. They took my wife's name and phone when she wanted a just released but not in stock lens for her OMD and called her the day the first one came in. I'm driving over there tomorrow and putting my name in for the 55-200.

And I'm not complaining about the size, weight or price. Would I have preferred something else, like maybe a 90-180 or a long prime. Maybe? But I'm sufficiently impressed with Fuji's offerings so far that I'm going to trust their design and the concept/vision behind it and be glad to have a long lens for those tight shots I am seeing but can get close enough to with the 35/1.4. (smile)

Dave

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads