A-58 review

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions
Adventsam
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,983
Like?
A-58 review
Apr 17, 2013

In Russian, use chrome it auto translates, Camera appears good to iso3200 then a huge drop-off in iq. How big is the actual buffer for raw C-af? I didnt spot it.

This is very cheap camera for the features, pity about the 1080/50p being dropped for 50i but maybe that helps with af? the tracking looks cool for stills and video, Interesting release.

http://prophotos.ru/reviews/14866-sony-slt-a58?page=1

Chimere
Senior MemberPosts: 1,083
Like?
Russioan A-58 review, a worth while read ?
In reply to Adventsam, Apr 17, 2013

In my opinion your short comment does not do much justice to this detailed, documented report. Consider: there is some interesting points made such as a huge praise for the new EVF, and - did I read right ? - "no strobe effect in OLED EVF ...(!)".

The report says that no specific advantage was observed with the new 20 MP sensor over the A57 variant. However, with a the test done with a non prime lens (new edition of a zoom previously of only "so-so" rating) can that be taken a face value ? The IQ at ISO below 6200 seems pretty good in the provided samples, and seems to contradict that verdict anyway.

I think this the first close to in-depth report we have. A good read anyway.

WIN 7 does the a decent translation with the occasional gubbly gook.

Chimere

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brian14478
Senior MemberPosts: 3,488
Like?
Re: A-58 review
In reply to Adventsam, Apr 18, 2013

To me me the reviewers and many others have an all around 'its not an a57  taking place. There has been a back-lash of sorts since the camera has been announced. Do people really need to justify their purchases by putting down another model in every shortcomming that can be found?

Well iso 1600 and up isnt any better? ..If thats where you are going looking for high iq shots the a57/a77 or any alpha beside the a99 is not for you. I have downloaded samples from both and resolution is higher and cleaner on the a58 samples...

Furthermore the a57 loses alot of resolution to keep noise low, the a58 i am quite sure will keep better resolution all across every iso. Look at the resolution on the a57 compared to the others...its not the camera everyone claims it to be...no offense to owners but even pop photo says the resolution sacrificed to clean(Low noise)photos is subpar...at every iso.

Adventsam
Like?
In reply to brian14478, Apr 18, 2013

I am very interested in this camera, especially now as Sigma and Sony really have declared a real investment in the aps-c space and the ibis and evf shooting of the Sony range really is unique. I downloaded the image resource and this reviewers studio raws and its a little confusing, the image resource raws show the Sony to be very poor at iso6400 where as this review shows them to be very competent, ahead of the a77 and at least as good as the 57, looking at other raws they had available it appears to be slightly better than the Nikon 3200 at iso6400 too, lower down below iso800 its actually very very good. However, that said with new super fast lens like the Sigma f1.8 constant, Sony's own 16-50, the new Sigma art 30 f1.4 and Sigmas new 17-702.8-4 constant there are many options and with IBIS thrown in too hopefully you wont need to use much in the way of iso3200 or above anyway.

brian14478 wrote:

To me me the reviewers and many others have an all around 'its not an a57  taking place. There has been a back-lash of sorts since the camera has been announced. Do people really need to justify their purchases by putting down another model in every shortcomming that can be found?

Well iso 1600 and up isnt any better? ..If thats where you are going looking for high iq shots the a57/a77 or any alpha beside the a99 is not for you. I have downloaded samples from both and resolution is higher and cleaner on the a58 samples...

Furthermore the a57 loses alot of resolution to keep noise low, the a58 i am quite sure will keep better resolution all across every iso. Look at the resolution on the a57 compared to the others...its not the camera everyone claims it to be...no offense to owners but even pop photo says the resolution sacrificed to clean(Low noise)photos is subpar...at every iso.

Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 4,409Gear list
Like?
In reply to Adventsam, Apr 18, 2013
 Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
Adventsam
Like?
In reply to Sonyshine, Apr 18, 2013

Sonyshine wrote:

Here is someone who knows what he is talking about:

http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/my-new-camera-is-pretty-damn-good-not.html

Did anyone say he didn't? Personally, I make up my own mind

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads