My Sony Nex 6 got stolen :(((

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions
MintTheCandy
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
My Sony Nex 6 got stolen :(((
Apr 17, 2013

Just a few months ago i was just writing here trying to decide what camera to buy. Few more months later i learned alot using the camera and had also joined the flickr community. But just last sunday, our house got robbed. Lost my laptop, tablet, my sd cards, and most of all my NEX6 and 3 other lenses, SELP16050, SEL55210, Canon FD 50mm 1.4. I really worked hard to buy those and now it's with some stupid people. Most importantly, my photos that i will never get to replicate again are lost.. :(( but im just happy that none of us were hurt...

That set aside, i'm just writing this thread to ask if i should buy another one or some other mirrorless? or quit photography -_- i really enjoyed photography during all those months.. there was not a day that i didnt use my NEX even if i was just in my room. I'm thinking that if i were to buy a lesser camera than the 6, it might feel that the new camera will just be a 'patch' and i dont want that.. if i buy another 6, even if i really enjoyed it, it feels like i just handed those robbers money and didnt get anything.. Now i'm looking at Olympus OMD EM5.. its kind of expensive but i'll be saving up until then i guess..

Any thoughts on what camera should i get? Any new models out there that i should wait for? Really leaning towards the OMD.. just dont like the fact it doesnt have focus peaking... was really dependent on that on the NEX...

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,819Gear list
Like?
Re: My Sony Nex 6 got stolen :(((
In reply to MintTheCandy, Apr 17, 2013

MintTheCandy wrote:

if i buy another 6, even if i really enjoyed it, it feels like i just handed those robbers money and didnt get anything.. Now i'm looking at Olympus OMD EM5.. its kind of expensive but i'll be saving up until then i guess..

I'm sorry for your loss...  but this line of reasoning makes no sense.

Had you said something along the lines of taking this opportunity (forced upon you) to try something different, perhaps see if the grass is indeed greener... then that's at least somewhat understandable.

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,184Gear list
Like?
In reply to DtEW, Apr 17, 2013

DtEW wrote:

MintTheCandy wrote:

if i buy another 6, even if i really enjoyed it, it feels like i just handed those robbers money and didnt get anything.. Now i'm looking at Olympus OMD EM5.. its kind of expensive but i'll be saving up until then i guess..

Had you said something along the lines of taking this opportunity (forced upon you) to try something different, perhaps see if the grass is indeed greener... then that's at least somewhat understandable.

Aww man, that really sucks. Indeed, sorry for your loss. I hope that you were insured.

I do understand the emotional feeling, but don't react 'just because'.

Depending on your timeframe, I would await new announcements, and then decide. Sony is to replace the Nex-7, Olympus is rumored to have two successors for the EM-5.

You can also consider a RX100 or a X100s to tie you over.

But if the Nex-6 delivered for you, I would indeed not write it off. It is a great camera, and replacing it with something less may bother more than just getting a new one.

Report your SN as stolen with Sony, just in case.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
MintTheCandy
Like?
In reply to DtEW, Apr 17, 2013

DtEW wrote:

MintTheCandy wrote:

Hello,

Sorry if i can't explain it very well or if it doesnt make sense at all. But i just think buying another NEX6 is not worth the money since its not going to be something 'new' or i just need some lecture that the NEX6 is indeed equal or superior than the OMD.. As of now, I find the look and feel of the OMD pretty good. It's weather sealed and supports a variety of lenses. Produces pretty good IQ as well. I'm just confused if it is worth the change. But i guess i might get biased answers here, but then again maybe that's what i need for me to decide that i should just stick with the NEX line..

captura
Forum ProPosts: 14,760Gear list
Like?

Bloody hell! I feel sorry for your loss. If your I-pad was stolen, you might have registered it with Apples' free anti-theft program. Amazed, I watched while a victim staked out the thief who had stolen his I pad, and they were both in a coffee shop. The victim was telephoned by Apple who told him they had traced his I-pad to this coffee shop and he hurried over. The confrontation occurred an hour later, out on the street and the victim was assisted by a couple of friends who he had called.

Best luck!

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
MintTheCandy
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, Apr 17, 2013

blue_skies wrote:

Aww man, that really sucks. Indeed, sorry for your loss. I hope that you were insured.

Depending on your timeframe, I would await new announcements, and then decide. Sony is to replace the Nex-7, Olympus is rumored to have two successors for the EM-5.

But if the Nex-6 delivered for you, I would indeed not write it off. It is a great camera, and replacing it with something less may bother more than just getting a new one.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Hi,

Thanks.. i also thought about the x100s or the other high-end P&S out there but also thought that the interchangeable lens part of the camera was something i enjoyed. So i guess il stick with the MILCs..

I plan on trying to buy one in mid June if my money is already enough, do you happen to know if any of those said cameras would be released? and would it affect the prices of the older models?

Yes, I was really happy with the 6.. im still in confusion if i'd really replace it with a different model.. i just hate the fact that im buying something that's not 'new'.. plus it reminds me of what i lost.. :((

MintTheCandy
Like?
In reply to captura, Apr 17, 2013

captura wrote:

Bloody hell! I feel sorry for your loss. If your I-pad was stolen, you might have registered it with Apples' free anti-theft program. Amazed, I watched while a victim staked out the thief who had stolen his I pad, and they were both in a coffee shop. The victim was telephoned by Apple who told him they had traced his I-pad to this coffee shop and he hurried over. The confrontation occurred an hour later, out on the street and the victim was assisted by a couple of friends who he had called.

Best luck!

sadly i dont have it there thats why i wished my phone got stolen instead so i could track them down with the police..

forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,745
Like?

MintTheCandy wrote:

DtEW wrote:

MintTheCandy wrote:

Hello,

Sorry if i can't explain it very well or if it doesnt make sense at all. But i just think buying another NEX6 is not worth the money since its not going to be something 'new' or i just need some lecture that the NEX6 is indeed equal or superior than the OMD.. As of now, I find the look and feel of the OMD pretty good. It's weather sealed and supports a variety of lenses. Produces pretty good IQ as well. I'm just confused if it is worth the change. But i guess i might get biased answers here, but then again maybe that's what i need for me to decide that i should just stick with the NEX line..

If image quality, especially in low light, is important, then both NEX-6, NEX-7, and Fuji X-E1 are your best bets:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/studiocomparefullscreen.asp#baseDir=%2Freviews_data&cameraDataSubdir=boxshot&indexFileName=boxshotindex.xml&presetsFileName=boxshotpresets.xml&showDescriptions=true&headerTitle=Olympus%20OM-D%20E-M5&headerSubTitle=Standard%20studio%20scene%20comparison&masterCamera=oly_em5&masterSample=p1010017.acr&masterDisableCameraSelection=true&slotsCount=4&slot0Camera=oly_em5&slot0Sample=p1010017.acr&slot0DisableCameraSelection=true&slot0DisableSampleSelection=true&slot0LinkWithMaster=true&slot1Camera=sony_nex6&slot1Sample=dsc00031.acr&slot2Camera=sony_nex7&slot2Sample=dsc03038.acr&slot3Camera=fujifilm_xe1&slot3Sample=dscf6544new.acr&x=-0.20462046204620451&y=0.3813076314039754

nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,615
Like?

MintTheCandy wrote:

Sorry to hear your camera got stolen.

That set aside, i'm just writing this thread to ask if i should buy another one or some other mirrorless? or quit photography -_- i really enjoyed photography during all those months.. there was not a day that i didnt use my NEX even if i was just in my room. I'm thinking that if i were to buy a lesser camera than the 6, it might feel that the new camera will just be a 'patch' and i dont want that.. if i buy another 6, even if i really enjoyed it, it feels like i just handed those robbers money and didnt get anything..

Well in fact the robbers took your money by steeling your goods, it is just nothing you can do about it. I would not buy an other type of camera for this reason. I don't think the feeling about handing money to the robbers will change when you buy an other brand camera.

Now i'm looking at Olympus OMD EM5.. its kind of expensive but i'll be saving up until then i guess..

The OMD is a nice camera, just like the Nex 6. Some things are better (faster AF, lens choice, IBIS) some are lesser (sensor size, focus peeking, video) Others are just different (handling)

When you realy did like the Nex 6, it makes no sense to go for an other camera type or brand, you may be dissapointed as the new camera may miss some important to you parts or handling. When you want to go for the OMD try handling it befor you buy. I did not like the handling of the OMD when I tied in a store. Then others loved the handling, it is very personal.

Any thoughts on what camera should i get? Any new models out there that i should wait for? Really leaning towards the OMD.. just dont like the fact it doesnt have focus peaking... was really dependent on that on the NEX...

Waiting for a new camera makes you wait forever. This year rumors tells us a new OMD and a new Nex 7 will come, so you can wait for them, then you will hear the rumor of a new Nex 6, better faster stronger.... and you will wait for that, just to hear the new nex 5 is just around the corner, whenit comes out the new Nex 7 rumors are starting to come in.....

If you like photography, and you can buy a new camera go for it and enjoy the camera you buy and forget about newer, better models.

DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,819Gear list
Like?

MintTheCandy wrote:

Well, you're going to get "biased" answers everywhere.  Objectivity doesn't exist.  And I won't pretend that saying, "I'm not being biased here" will mean anything to anybody.

Rather, if we accept that objectivity doesn't exist, and it's all subjective...  wouldn't it make sense to go back to the only subjective assessment that matters to this decision... that is, yours?

So I will pose a questions to you:  is your camera a tool for creativity, or a toy to be played with?

I think a truly honest answer for many people here on DPR will actually be some combination of the two.  The question lies then to which side you are biased toward.

If your camera is primarily a tool for creativity, both the NEX-6 and E-M5 will deliver much like each other, with only minor performance differences that anybody can adapt to and still take great pictures.  But mastering a new camera and its wholly different control scheme, OS, and quirks takes time and effort.

Back when I was in High School and playing tennis, I had a friend who would collect many copies of a conservative-looking racquet from a relatively uncommon make/model (here in the US, the make/model would be the Rossignol F200).  I thought it was a crappy racquet with all the new widebody and super-widebody(!) tennis racquets being the rage.  Little did I know then that there is advantage in becoming a master of your equipment, even if it wasn't the shiniest and newest thing on the market.

Unlike him, I would always buy whatever was new, because it was supposedly a better, more progressed product.  And I would spend a lot of time trying to master it, but in reality just figuring out what its strengths and weaknesses are, and what it can and can't do.

Needless to say, he got better at the game and I turned into a gearboy.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with enjoying the gloss and wonder of a new and interesting machine.  It isn't wrong to desire toys (not belittling the E-M5; the same can obviously be said if the situation was inverted and the NEX-6 would be the 'new toy' for you).

But again, the question is: is your camera a tool for creativity, or a toy to be played with?

And even if you can admit a truly honest answer... the question then is, do you aspire for that answer to be different?

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +17 more
John Knuhtsen
Contributing MemberPosts: 606
Like?

I feel so sorry for you ! Where do you live, - your profile tells nothing.

A year ago in Santiago, Chile, my backpack was stolen in the hotel lobby. I lost a ricoh gx100, 2 mobiles, some glasses and all money, passport, etc. It was a chock. Fortunately I had another camera in my belt (a Nikon P300) with all the pictures taken, except one. And my wife paid for my living the last 3 days before travelling home. Well, without a passport you cannot enter an aeroplane. I got a new one.

I would recommend a Nex6 again. As far as I can search on ebay lensadapters for Fuji X100 to legacy lenses does not exist. It is great fun to use some old glass on the Nex.

John Knuhtsen
Contributing MemberPosts: 606
Like?
In reply to John Knuhtsen, Apr 17, 2013

Oh, sorry. X100 is with fixed lens. I meant XE-1, and it has some adapters available (for Nikkor lenses per example).

Cailean Gallimore
Senior MemberPosts: 6,082
Like?

Sorry to hear your gear got stolen. Try not to let it diminish your love of photography.

sarit
Regular MemberPosts: 254Gear list
Like?

I'm really sorry for your loss buddy ! I can imagine how bad you feel. I waited a long time to save for my NEX 5R as well. But Why are you against buying another NEX 6 just because its not gonna be a new model ? I understand you loved your NEX and you are already familiar with it and were taking great pictures with it. I'd advise against going into a new system, especially when you were very satisfied with NEX 6.  You can also wait for the NEX 7n if you want something different, better but with all the features of NEX 6.

sarit's gear list:sarit's gear list
NEX5R Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +4 more
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,159Gear list
Like?

MintTheCandy wrote:

Sorry if i can't explain it very well or if it doesnt make sense at all. But i just think buying another NEX6 is not worth the money since its not going to be something 'new' or i just need some lecture that the NEX6 is indeed equal or superior than the OMD..

Don't tell me the Nex-6 is not new!  It was released just a few months ago and I was looking at maybe getting one...  Anyway, they're both fine cameras.  Just depends on what set of features you like.

You might also check with your insurance and see if it's covered.   Good luck!

As of now, I find the look and feel of the OMD pretty good. It's weather sealed and supports a variety of lenses. Produces pretty good IQ as well. I'm just confused if it is worth the change. But i guess i might get biased answers here, but then again maybe that's what i need for me to decide that i should just stick with the NEX line..

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Harry Lew
Senior MemberPosts: 1,629
Like?
You're Coming at This Wrong

You're thinking that replacing your stolen NEX 6 wouldn't be a new experience, therefore you should get a different camera. Totally wrong perspective. You invested time in becoming proficient with that camera. Replacing it with another 6 would allow you to fully leverage that investment. And look at it this way . . .you'll have a brand-new 6 on board, which is a bonus over having a used one! (I do hope you have insurance so you can replace some of that gear without financial hardship.)

-- hide signature --

Harry Lew
'Buying gear is easy. What's hard is paying for it.'
http://harryjohn.smugmug.com/

wll
wll
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,820
Like?

I feel for you, getting robbed is a horrible feeling.

I got to tell you that since I have lots of camera equipment and stuff I have all my valuables in safes.

One of the best for a small price is a Knack Box. It is used on construction sites for contractors to leave their tools in. It works very well. Of course your not going to stop a professional, but the folks who want to run in and grab will have to spend hours trying to get at your stuff, and I doubt that they will do that.

Of course there are other safes too, Wal mart has some I believe that could hold your valuables and that safe I believe is bolted into your closet.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your misfortune.

wll

joe talks photography
Regular MemberPosts: 247Gear list
Like?

MintTheCandy wrote:

DtEW wrote:

MintTheCandy wrote:

Hello,

getting your home burglarized is always bad. you should sit back for a moment and reflect on your passion for photography and the value it brings to your life. If you had some level of dissatisfaction with the nex 6 then that may be a better reason to move to another camera than being steered away because of being victimized by some thug. there is always an outside shot of property recovery by law enforcement....though that could take a while.

on the olympus camera, it may have some strengths but i would recommend looking at the nex 7 as it is a better value to go along with better image quality.

what is insurance situation?

-- hide signature --

Joe

semifast
Contributing MemberPosts: 627Gear list
Like?

MintTheCandy wrote:

DtEW wrote:

MintTheCandy wrote:

Hello,

You explained it just fine the first time.

I don't know enough specifics about the nex 6 or the om-d to give you advice on that, just wanted to say I think you should feel free to get whatever you want.

semifast's gear list:semifast's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 NEX5R Nikon Coolpix S800c Samsung Galaxy Camera (Wi-Fi)
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,184Gear list
Like?

MintTheCandy wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Hi,

Thanks.. i also thought about the x100s or the other high-end P&S out there but also thought that the interchangeable lens part of the camera was something i enjoyed. So i guess il stick with the MILCs..

I plan on trying to buy one in mid June if my money is already enough, do you happen to know if any of those said cameras would be released? and would it affect the prices of the older models?

Yes, I was really happy with the 6.. im still in confusion if i'd really replace it with a different model.. i just hate the fact that im buying something that's not 'new'.. plus it reminds me of what i lost.. :((

Why so sentimental? If it happened when the new models were coming out, or when the insurance only pays out depreciated value, then I understand your feelings. But this was a new camera to you, that you enjoyed, and liked. Why not continue the journey.

Burglary beats cancer, think positive!

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads