Why so few 60D posts here?

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions
Ubilam
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,860
Like?
Why so few 60D posts here?
Apr 17, 2013

Nobody seems to boast about it. Got any good photos taken with it? Surely, there must be some.

-- hide signature --

Digital photography gear is consistently inconsistent.

Canon EOS 60D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ARShutterbug
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,446Gear list
Like?
Because it's obsolete
In reply to Ubilam, Apr 17, 2013

Because the 60D sucks.  The 70D is so much better, from what I've heard here, that nobody wants the 60D anymore.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kobi b
Regular MemberPosts: 250
Like?
Re: Because it's obsolete
In reply to ARShutterbug, Apr 17, 2013

60 d is a fantastic camera i do wedings with it. and i get superb photos. maby the problem is

with you , maby you need some photo lessons. or a camera manual .

iancbradley
Regular MemberPosts: 112
Like?

ARShutterbug wrote:

Because the 60D sucks.  The 70D is so much better, from what I've heard here, that nobody wants the 60D anymore.

Funny :-).  I think Alexander is being ironic, the 70D exists only in rumours so far.  The topics on this forum can be, erm, self selected  I think the 60D is a fine camera (and so is the 7D, and so was the 50D, and so will be the 70D, and so was my old camera the 350D .... )  I have the 60D, so you should treat my opinion with a bit of scepticism, just as you should treat any 'this camera is trash' opinion on here.

Are people taking nice shots with the 60D? You be the judge:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=EOS+60D&m=tags

Is anyone feeling the need to come on these boards and moan about focus calibration, autofocus tracking, pixel count, or sensor noise from images taken down a coalmine at IS12800?  Doesn't seem that they are.  You should draw your own conclusions about that.

Happy snapping.

Jeff Peterman
Forum ProPosts: 10,519Gear list
Like?

I have yet to see a single photo from a 70D that is better than one from a 60D.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
iancbradley
Like?
In reply to Jeff Peterman, Apr 17, 2013

Either we're all sharing the same joke about the non-existent (as yet) 70D, or we are talking about the 7D - which is it? 

nikkorwatcher
Contributing MemberPosts: 684
Like?

Perhaps the 70D will confuse Canon followers less than the 60D did! There was a virtually infinite array of names Canon could have chosen for a new camera that was out of step with the metal bodies and rather high framerate 10D 20D 30D 40D 50D. Instead they chose to name a plastic camera with a lower framerate and a hinged screen the '60D'. Not that it is a bad camera, but it was out of step with what that established market was looking for, more something for the generalized hobbyist than those who put a few thousand frames into cameras at every event.

Don Richardson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,454Gear list
Like?
In reply to iancbradley, Apr 17, 2013

I as the same thing before I bought my 60D. The only answer I got was that 60D owners were out taking pictures and had very few problems with their camera.

It's a great camera with the same sensor the 7D has but with no weather sealing or metal body. I've never missed either.

-- hide signature --
 Don Richardson's gear list:Don Richardson's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Epson Artisan 835 +1 more
iancbradley
Like?
In reply to nikkorwatcher, Apr 17, 2013

nikkorwatcher wrote:

Perhaps the 70D will confuse Canon followers less than the 60D did! There was a virtually infinite array of names Canon could have chosen for a new camera that was out of step with the metal bodies and rather high framerate 10D 20D 30D 40D 50D. Instead they chose to name a plastic camera with a lower framerate and a hinged screen the '60D'. Not that it is a bad camera, but it was out of step with what that established market was looking for, more something for the generalized hobbyist than those who put a few thousand frames into cameras at every event.

You could well be right. I'm not sure whether any of the contributors on this sub-forum often put a few thousand frames into an event, I know I don't

The more I read back this thread, the more I think I've been troll-feeding.  Never mind!

Jeff Peterman
Like?
In reply to iancbradley, Apr 17, 2013

-- hide signature --

Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
Jeff Peterman
Like?

The 7D line didn't exist when the 10D-50D came out. But because of the existence of the 7D, they had to change the direction of the xxD line a little to clearly differentiate the 60D from the 7D. In fact, that's the problem: if they make the 70D too good, why would anyone buy a 7D MKII?

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Lemming51
Forum ProPosts: 12,859Gear list
Like?
Re: x0D line features

nikkorwatcher wrote:

Perhaps the 70D will confuse Canon followers less than the 60D did! There was a virtually infinite array of names Canon could have chosen for a new camera that was out of step with the metal bodies and rather high framerate 10D 20D 30D 40D 50D. Instead they chose to name a plastic camera with a lower framerate and a hinged screen the '60D'.

60D has same or higher frame rate than 10D/20D/30D.  The segment is more defined by use of glass pentaprism, AF system, and QCD - all of which 60D shares with the x0D line - than by the composition of the outter skin.

Not that it is a bad camera, but it was out of step with what that established market was looking for, more something for the generalized hobbyist than those who put a few thousand frames into cameras at every event.

Pffft.   The difference between 3/5 fps and 3/6 fps is immaterial.  60D has same or greater shutter/mirror durability as any of its x0D predecessors.

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +5 more
digit
Contributing MemberPosts: 578
Like?
Re: Why so few 60D posts here?

You may not be looking very far.  I love my 60D but dream of the 70D

I have used it for photos and videos and with the Magic Lantern it opens up a whole new experience.

-- hide signature --

Focus - Click - Repeat,
http://jbtty.dyndns.org/photo
There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are. Ernst Haas

nikkorwatcher
Contributing MemberPosts: 684
Like?

Canon decided to capitalise on the known sequence of their double digit D line with a specification that was confounded those that might have looked towards an upgrade of more of the same. Canon gained a little by attracting the eye of those who had an earlier x0D in the store, but they also lost people who took a quick look at the specifications of the 60D and realised Canon wanted a lot more for a new camera that was as fast and well built as the one they already had. For the sake of trying to push some to the 7D they lost a lot of 60D sales which might be why you don't see much talk about it here. Whoops.

TJTigger
Forum MemberPosts: 64Gear list
Like?
Love mine

I have a 60D.  It is my first DSLR so it is way beyond what I was using before.  It it just a hobby for me and it works well for what I do.  I have been shooting more sports with my kids in track so there are time when I think the burst rate of the 7D would be nice.  But rather than move from the 60D to a 7D I figure I will wait to see what the refresh of the 7D/60D look like before I decide how I want upgrade.

I have shots in my gallery

TJTigger's gear list:TJTigger's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +1 more
Jeff Peterman
Like?
In reply to digit, Apr 17, 2013

Ah, you may have hit on the key difference between the 50D and the 60D (and why some people upgraded): improvements in the video functions, which is where the articulated screen becomes very useful. And most people in this forum don't talk about video.

-- hide signature --

www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

NancyP
Senior MemberPosts: 4,123Gear list
Like?
Re: Why so few 60D posts here? Because the pix are on "subject" fora

This is a perfectly fine camera. Is it the absolute best in class for sensor - no. Same sensor as the 7D, though. The AF is not as highly sophisticated as it could be, and I miss some shots, but I think that the 60D is a good all-arounder well suited for intermediate level photographers such as myself. I have my eye on a 7D2 for birding and a 6D, or eventually a high MP low framerate Canon, for landscape.

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
Madinmumbai
Forum MemberPosts: 89
Like?

Because there are so few problems with it. By and large I use this forum to ask question I can't find answers to. The 60D is so intuitive  and such a delight to work with that more often than not I am out taking pictures.

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,307Gear list
Like?

ARShutterbug wrote:

They're both obsolete.  I heard the 7D MkII blows them both away.

scorrpio
Senior MemberPosts: 2,922
Like?

Canon saw fit to split its X0D line and I think it was a great move.

60D has advanced controls, prism finder, shoulder LCD, body form factor of the X0D line.   It features 1/8000 shutter, 1/250 flash sync, wireless flash control, weather sealing, higher shutter life.   It has better AF, better sensor, better screen than 50D.   It may have slightly lower burst speed, but the RAW buffer is still 16, not 6 like on the Rebels.   And of course, there is a very comprehensive video package there.  The body is not magnesium, but 60D is a tough bugger, and its fiber-polycarb body holds its own very well.   I will not be surprised if we see carbon fiber pro bodies before the end of the decade.   These modern polymers are incredible.  About the only thing that 50D has over 60D, and which I would want to have, is MFA.   But so far, I did not actually NEED it.

So, Canon gave customers a great choice - a less expensive but every bit as good, and in some ways better, body, for those who do not need the extra speed, or a slightly more expensive body featuring the AF system and frame rates rivaled only by the 1D line.

The positioning of 60D is about perfect.   It makes for a very natural leap from a Rebel line to the next level, and encourages one to take photography to the next level - which for Canon, means more sales in lenses, flashes and likely better bodies in the future.   Compared to a camera like T2i, which is not bad by any means itself, 60D is an absolute joy to handle and use.

Maybe that is why there are so few people here complaining about it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads