Olympus E-PL5 or Panasonic Lumix G5

Started Apr 17, 2013 | Discussions
BigLoggerhead
New MemberPosts: 18
Like?
Olympus E-PL5 or Panasonic Lumix G5
Apr 17, 2013

So I'm about to purchase my first interchangeable lens camera and have finally narrowed it down to the two listed in the thread title. From what I can tell in doing research is that both  cameras are exceptional and both are in the budget I've set of around $500. However, there are differences which I'm sure many of you are aware of. I had pretty much decided on the Olympus when I came across the G5. I like the fact that the E-PL5 has the same sensor as the OMD which has been producing some great images but I also like the fact that the G5 has a viewfinder and is slightly larger. (I have big hands) The only thing I wonder about with the G5 is the stabilization system. Is on board stabilization better than the system being built into the lens?

HELP! I like both of these cameras and need help deciding on which one to purchase. Right now I'm leaning towards the Olympus but I'm open minded. Any input is appreciated.

Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 19,264Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus E-PL5 or Panasonic Lumix G5
In reply to BigLoggerhead, Apr 17, 2013

BigLoggerhead wrote:

So I'm about to purchase my first interchangeable lens camera and have finally narrowed it down to the two listed in the thread title. From what I can tell in doing research is that both  cameras are exceptional and both are in the budget I've set of around $500. However, there are differences which I'm sure many of you are aware of. I had pretty much decided on the Olympus when I came across the G5. I like the fact that the E-PL5 has the same sensor as the OMD which has been producing some great images but I also like the fact that the G5 has a viewfinder and is slightly larger. (I have big hands) The only thing I wonder about with the G5 is the stabilization system. Is on board stabilization better than the system being built into the lens?

HELP! I like both of these cameras and need help deciding on which one to purchase. Right now I'm leaning towards the Olympus but I'm open minded. Any input is appreciated.

Overall, for stills and video, in-lens stabilisation works better than in-body. Except for the rather magic E-M5, that's a new class of in-body stabilisation that beats any in-lens stuff or any Pen in-body stabilisation.

Meanwhile with Panasonic bodies you have no stabilisation at all with most of the primes, and no stabilisation with any legacy lens adapted to the camera.

With Olympus bodies you can have stabilisation with any lens.

New in the E-PL5 and E-PM2 is the ability to use the in-lens stabilisation of Panasonic lenses with no switch, so I use best of both worlds by having the E-PL5 use the OIS in Panasonic lenses that have it.

In my case E-PL5 plus Panasonic 14-45mm (it does have an OIS switch so can work on any Olympus by use of the switch). Plus Panasonic 45-150mm which does not have a switch so I use the E-PL5 menus to turn it on. Plus lurking are Sigma 19mm and Olympus 60mm which both have no stabilisation so then I need to use the in-body stabilisation.

Generally though I avoid using stabilisation at all, only when shutter speeds get too slow do I turn it on.

For the E-PL5 is a natural as I have long given up peering through viewfinders, and way prefer to use the LCD even though it may be hard to see at times, good for framing but maybe not good for checking focus when the viewing gets tough.

Some random notes on E-PL5 here on my pages.

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Hagane
Regular MemberPosts: 114Gear list
Like?

I would say: try em both, they're pretty different cameras in terms of handling/ergonomics. I'm sure that after a short test run at your local camera store you'll find it much easier to make a decision.

And I think that the fun-factor and a positive feel while shooting is more important than small quality differences. Both are very capable cameras and won't disappoint a first time ILC user.

Hagane's gear list:Hagane's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +3 more
sbszine
Regular MemberPosts: 463Gear list
Like?

If you like the E-PL5 and the viewfinder is your only worry, you could save up and get an add-on viewfinder later.

sbszine's gear list:sbszine's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,494Gear list
Like?

At current prices the G5 is a better all around package - it offers hacked GH2 quality video, albeit without full manual control, a tweaked GH2 sensor with decent enough DR and not bad high ISO, good ergonomics, good EVF, very good rear LCD and quite nice build quality.

At one point I owned both cameras. The E-PL5 I found to have superb IQ and fantastic JPEGs. But as a person with large hands I could not get on with the tiny form factor, little fiddly external controls, cropped rear LCD and a few other niggles (I'm not a fan of the complex menu system). I eventually sold both cameras and now have a GH3 and GX1.

I was impressed, no question, with the IQ coming out of that sensor, but the other things spoiled it for me with the E-PL5. I couldn't really fault the G5 in contrast - its JPEGs don't quite look as nice as those from the Oly, neither does its high ISO, but as an overall package it ticked more boxes for me, albeit the G5 is a larger and non-pocketable camera.

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansell Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +1 more
Hen3ry
Forum ProPosts: 10,498Gear list
Like?
The G5 is actually smaller and more useful
In reply to Marco Cinnirella, Apr 17, 2013

Marco Cinnirella wrote:

I was impressed, no question, with the IQ coming out of that sensor, but the other things spoiled it for me with the E-PL5. I couldn't really fault the G5 in contrast - its JPEGs don't quite look as nice as those from the Oly, neither does its high ISO, but as an overall package it ticked more boxes for me, albeit the G5 is a larger and non-pocketable camera.

The G5 is actually SMALLER than the E-PL5 when you fit the VF-2 to the E=PL5 to gert eye level viewing. Further, the G5 has a built in, flip up flash. With the E-PL5, if you want to take a quick flash shot or add some instant fill-in, you have to take off the VF-2 and lose eye level viewing, and find the stupid little accessory flash and put it on and … wonder where the picture went!!! 

On the other hand, if you don’t want eye level viewing, then there's no question about which way you go -- the E-PL5 is for you.

Cheers, geoff2

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,440Gear list
Like?
I have EPl5 and Gh2

GH2 is virtually the same as G5. Same sensor, better video, a bit more controls, similar size.

I bought EPL5 not forthe better IQ, but mainly to have a cam with me all the time. Now someone says that with the EVF the EL5 is bigger. That is not true at all. The body of the G5 is really more bulky. Much more bulky. And it weighs more. You can have the EVF in one pocket and the cam body in another if it won't fit. This is not possible with the G5. Gh2 was a cam that was too bulky to take with me all the time and EPL5 really is not.

Pro's G5:

- electronic shutter (does not wear out, no shuttershock so no blurring because of that).
- Ergonomics
- Swiveling display that is fully used
- Better balance with larger lenses
- Better manual controls
- Better video
- Lenses wit some aberations of Panny will be autocorrected in cam

Watch out for this:
- Oly lenses are not stabilsed, which for the greater focal lentghs or low light shooting is a clear disadvantage. So to me, the lens choice is more  a problem for Panny than Oly...but..

Pro's EPL5
- Size and weight
- IQ is notably better, a step you'd expect from a sensor that is one generation ahead
- JPEGS and arfilters are very usable, funto use and very good. I enjoyed these much more than I ever expected
- IBIS, all  lenses are stabilised. Also: preference setting (if you do use a lens with stabilsation that will automatically be used instead of IBIS)
- Mysets lets you configre four buttons to you favourite settings. So yu can set the cam for a special purpose, just set it via that button and you can go ahead. Great!

Watch out for this:
- Some Panasonic lenses show banding in high ISO shots and are not corrected in the body. The first thing seems sensor related (also banding with GH3), the second thing can easily be dealt with in LR.
- tiltable screen is 3"but only 2,5"is used. It is nice screen, but it is a bit strange also and not ideal.

If you want a very portable camera with the best IQ there is in m43s, it is the EPL5 to my mind. If you want the best allround cam which still is extremely small compared to DSLRs and you don't mind a bit more size and weight I think the G5 is the better camera.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
JCB123
Senior MemberPosts: 1,196Gear list
Like?

BigLoggerhead wrote:

I have a GH2 and the E-PL5. The E-PL5 has better image quality than the GH2 most notably at higher ISOs. I like the ergonomics of the GH2 but IMO the G5 is not so good. The E-PL5 does not have a great many external controls and the layout could be better, but I find that setting up mysets and assigning them to mode dial positions in conjunction with configuring the camera to display the super control panel (SPC) with a single button press, that the E-PL5 allows for quick enough settings changes. The GH2 had the advantage that you could look at the controls to check settings even with the camera switched OFF. The G5 still has this advantage but not so much.

The G5 and E-PL5 are very different cameras to hold, handle and use, and no-one else can advise you about which you might prefer. You need to handle and take a few shots with both models. I find that I need to have a camera for a couple of days to play with configurations and see whether I like the access to settings etc.  I have never tried to evaluate two cameras side by side though.

For me although I prefer the ergonomics of the GH2, The E-Pl5 is the camera that I am using. The GH2 no longer gets any use at all. The G5 is a step down from the GH2 IMO so I would declare the E-PL5 the winner here. You will have different needs and preferences though.

Regards

John

JCB123's gear list:JCB123's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7100
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,936Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marco Cinnirella, Apr 17, 2013

Marco Cinnirella wrote:

At current prices the G5 is a better all around package - it offers hacked GH2 quality video, albeit without full manual control,

Manual controls is WAY more important than a higher bit rate. In what way is the 1080p @ 60 FPS video the GH5 records similar to what the hack does for 1080p @ 24 FPS video?

The hack doesn't give you 1080p @ 60 FPS video and the G5 doesn't shoot 24 FPS video. In addition neither of their bit rates are similar either.

Your comment makes no sense at all. The GH2 and G5 shoot entirely different video. The GH2 allows you to completely control your video settings including the bit rate(With Hack). The G5 offers good 1080p @ 60 FPS video but you can only control shutter speed during video(Flicker Reduction Setting).

The G6 should be similar to the GH2 in that it will have manual controls for video but it still probably won't have 24p and it might not even have 1080p @ 60 FPS.

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Hagane
Regular MemberPosts: 114Gear list
Like?
In reply to JCB123, Apr 17, 2013

JCB123 wrote:

The G5 is a step down from the GH2 IMO

Regards

John

Care to explain?

In my opinion the G5 is nicer to hold, LCD is much better, AF works faster, more creative controls (if you care about that sort of thing), menu's are a bit better, picture quality is a bit better, JPEGs are noticeably better, function lever is nice addition, Touch AF is also nice for some people.

The GH2 has a mic-in and manual controlls during video shooting. It also has more external controls.

So the GH2 is still a better choice for video, but as a picture-taking device the G5 is IMO the better camera.

Hagane's gear list:Hagane's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +3 more
PSCL1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,234Gear list
Like?
In reply to Guy Parsons, Apr 17, 2013

To the OP:  Depends on what you value.   None of us can decide that for you.

EPL-5:  Smaller, lighter, IS in body; Oly lenses generally much smaller and lighter than Panny in same FL's (allthough you can use either brand lens on either body;  better for street and landscapes; EVF is optional attachment

G5:  Larger, EVF built in, operationally like DSLR, no IS in body.  Panny lenses are larger and bulkier (almost same as APS-C DSLR lenses) but have IS which Oly lenses do not; better for sports and wildlife/birds.

I have the earlier EPL-1 and G3 and use each for the purposes/situations above.

PSCL1's gear list:PSCL1's gear list
Leica X1 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony Alpha NEX-3N +23 more
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 13,185Gear list
Like?
Isn't the G6 going to be announced in a few days? GH2 level video?

Check out the m4/3 rumors website.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,911Gear list
Like?
In reply to PSCL1, Apr 17, 2013

PSCL1 wrote:

Panny lenses are larger and bulkier (almost same as APS-C DSLR lenses) but have IS which Oly lenses do not; better for sports and wildlife/birds.

"Almost the same as APS-C DSLR lenses"? Not really -- and even less so when you consider effective full-frame focal length. Add to that: Many of the best lenses used with APS-C bodies are really full-frame lenses. So you get to compare the Canon 24-70 f/2.8 EF to the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 and the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 (53 oz, 7.8 in long) to the Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8 (13 oz, 3.9 in long) if you want fast, constant aperture zoom lenses.

Then there are the really small Panasonic lenses (14/f/2.5, 20 f/1.7).

Many of us have shifted from APS-C DSLRs to m4/3 exactly because the lenses are substantially smaller and lighter -- and that goes for both Oly and Panny lenses.

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,639Gear list
Like?

I own both the E-PL5 and G5, and typically grab the E-PL5 with a pancake prime or zoom when I want something very light along "just in case" I see something I want to photograph.  When I know I am going to be focusing upon photography, I grab the G5 with more (and heavier) lenses.

Many of the strengths/weaknesses of each have been mentioned.  These are the ones that stand out for me.

G5:

Pinpoint autofocus.  In general, I like the autofocus controls and access on the G5 better than the EPL5.

Electronic (silent) shutter. Works well in a church, lecture hall, presentation, etc.

Built-in flash -- very useful for fill-flash outdoors.

Much better balance with heavier lenses, such as the excellent Panny 12-35mm f2.8 lens.

LCD -- The image is much larger than the EPL5, and so is easier to see in bright light.

Custom Settings -- Many are speaking of "mysets" on the EPL5, but the G5 does the same with its Custom settings, and Panny has been doing this for a long time

Fully articulating screen -- useful in portrait mode and for turning the camera to the side while you look forward at the LCD

Creative filters -- They are different on the G5 than the EPL5, but about as effective, just different options.

Image quality -- In spite of the fact that the EPL5 is rated as having a better sensor, in most lighting situations, I couldn't tell you which camera produced the shot.  I'm a raw shooter, and the difference between the cameras is less pronounced in raw than in jpeg.

Ergonomics -- The G5, in my opinion, has better ergonomics than any prior G-series camera.  They got the grip/size ratio just right in my opinion.

Front lever control -- The lever behind the shutter release can be used for under/overexposure while the rear wheel is used for aperture or shutter-speed control.  It's like having a dedicated front and rear wheel for different purposes -- MUCH better than the fiddly little dial on the EPL5 which attempts to control everything.

Corrects for chromatic aberration in-camera -- I have to do this after the fact with the EPL5.

EPL5

IBIS. IBIS. Very nice, but not important if you plan to primarily use lenses with OIS. Important, on the other hand, if you'll be doing a lot of low light work with unstabilized prime lenses.

Small.

Nice image quality.

Remote control of off-camera flashes opens up creative possibilities for flash photography.

Nice implementation of tilt screen, even though the 4:3 image is small because the screen is not sized to 4:3.

Delayed shutter control lets you minimize possibility of shutter shock (just as electronic shutter does for G5).

Live view blinkies that you see before taking the shot, effectively lowering the likelihood of clipped highlights.

It says "olympus" and gives you the image quality of the EM5 in a smaller/cheaper package.

If you shoot raw, it lets you apply creative filters, settings, etc. AFTER THE FACT, when you're reviewing images in the camera.  It's nice to be able to do basic post-processing in-camera.

I hope this is helpful.  They are complementary cameras in many ways.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Droogie45
Regular MemberPosts: 171Gear list
Like?

Honestly I would buy a G3 kit, and use the savings to invest in a nice second lens. In my opinion the G3 is a banging deal right now and I seriously doubt you would notice a difference between the G5 other than grip. A great G3 kit on B&H goes for $349. Hard to beat.

Droogie45's gear list:Droogie45's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +7 more
bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,639Gear list
Like?
In reply to Droogie45, Apr 17, 2013

Droogie45 wrote:

Honestly I would buy a G3 kit, and use the savings to invest in a nice second lens. In my opinion the G3 is a banging deal right now and I seriously doubt you would notice a difference between the G5 other than grip. A great G3 kit on B&H goes for $349. Hard to beat.

The question pertained to the EPL5 versus the G5.

There are many small improvements in the G5 over the G3. I would rate the function lever, pinpoint autofocus, electronic (silent) shutter, better grip, and improved touch-controls on LCD to all be important improvements.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Zensu11
Contributing MemberPosts: 922Gear list
Like?
Decide for yourself!
In reply to bowportes, Apr 17, 2013

The best advice is to drive to a store that has both cameras with a selection of lenses for you to handle in person. Only you can decide what is too large or too small. You've read up on all the features so you walk into the store armed with for-knowledge about what does what so all you have to do is work the controls and see how they feel to you.

Brick and mortar camera stores have gone the way of the Dodo in my area, other than Best Buy and the like, which sell cameras as a side line.

I took the opportunity to visit my brother in Atlanta and went to a 'real' camera store! I spoke with the salesperson ahead of the 3 hour trip and she assured me the cameras I was interested in were always in stock. Sure it was a 3 hour drive there and again back but I'll be holding the camera for years and years so what is 6 hours? Besides my brother took me to some great Asian and Seafood  restaurants we don't have in my home town.

Oh yes, I purchased the camera and a nice two lens kit for this store. When I got home and checked prices online I'd only paid about 15% more than B&H. It was worth 15%!

Zensu11's gear list:Zensu11's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Zensu11
Contributing MemberPosts: 922Gear list
Like?
Re: Decide for yourself!
In reply to Zensu11, Apr 17, 2013

Oh yes, it was an E-PL5 with 17mm F2.8 and a 40-150 Olympus zoom which I still have and love (both of them).

Zensu11's gear list:Zensu11's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +4 more
vincent filomena
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,106Gear list
Like?
Blinkies,Blinkies, Blinkies...

EPL5 has BLINKIES before you shoot !

Vjim 

vincent filomena's gear list:vincent filomena's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +1 more
vincent filomena
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,106Gear list
Like?
In reply to bowportes, Apr 17, 2013

bowportes wrote:

I own both the E-PL5 and G5, and typically grab the E-PL5 with a pancake prime or zoom when I want something very light along "just in case" I see something I want to photograph.  When I know I am going to be focusing upon photography, I grab the G5 with more (and heavier) lenses.

Many of the strengths/weaknesses of each have been mentioned.  These are the ones that stand out for me.

G5:

Pinpoint autofocus.  In general, I like the autofocus controls and access on the G5 better than the EPL5.

EPL5

IBIS. IBIS. Very nice, but not important if you plan to primarily use lenses with OIS. Important, on the other hand, if you'll be doing a lot of low light work with unstabilized prime lenses.

Small.

Nice image quality.

I hope this is helpful.  They are complementary cameras in many ways.

EXCELLENT Summary job ! I have both: Agree completely...

Vjim 

vincent filomena's gear list:vincent filomena's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads