New backpack, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW or Vertex 300 AW?

Started Apr 16, 2013 | Discussions
KillerBob
New MemberPosts: 5Gear list
Like?
New backpack, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW or Vertex 300 AW?
Apr 16, 2013

Having just upgraded from my D7000 to a D800, I also got myself a bunch of new lenses, and now my good ol' trusty Tamrac doesn't cut it anymore. Hence I am looking for a new bag, and want to switch to Lowepro as I have a bunch of other Lowepro gear, like lens bags, the toploader, the belt and the harness.

The bag needs to be able to hold my; D800 w. battery grip, 14-24mm, 24-70mm, 70-300mm, 80-400mm, 50mm, 105mm, TC 1.4, SB900, tripod, iPad, cleaning kit, memory cards, and of course various cables etc. I usually reverse mount the sun hoods on the lenses.

Going through the motions on Lowepros bagfinder, they suggest the Flipside 500 or the Vertex 500.

Does anyone have any suggestions which one to pick?

KillerBob's gear list:KillerBob's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +13 more
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
juliemeikle
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?
Re: New backpack, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW or Vertex 300 AW?
In reply to KillerBob, Apr 17, 2013

I have the Vertex 300. I am pretty sure your gear would fit OK.

It depends on your budget and what you will use the bag for. There is no way I could acrry a full or nearly full bag    so mine is used in transit and I decant to a smaller bag with a some of my kit. The Vertex does this well. It is well made, has all the attachment points you could want, but I would question how comfortable it would be on a longish, or even medium, carry.

The plus points are; good price, well padded, easily configurable, plenty of pockets and attachment points, watrproof cover and water resistent zips. The negatives are, imho, rather stiff bag with stiff zips. The pockets are generally flat so not very expandable.

If I had though it about it more, and had the money at the time,  I would have bought the trekker pro 600 which is slighty larger, but softer ( yet more padded)  so easier to stuff bulky items into. Better external pockets and much more comfortable as the frame can be adjusted to your size. The Vertex is fine for my purposes, but you should try it for size and how comfortable it would be if you intend to carry it for long.

I have not tried the Flipside.

i can recommend F-stop bags though....they are just superb.

juliemeikle's gear list:juliemeikle's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads