Need help deciding between the Sony NEX 6 or the Olympus OMD EM5?

Started Apr 16, 2013 | Discussions
Smiller4128
Regular MemberPosts: 309Gear list
Like?
Need help deciding between the Sony NEX 6 or the Olympus OMD EM5?
Apr 16, 2013

I know there's probably a lot of topics on this already but I'm just looking for some quick suggestions. I'm trying to decide between the Sony NEX-6 or the Olympus OMD EM5. I have been leaning more towards the EM5 mostly due to the style and look of it. For whatever reason I absolutely love the way it looks. It also has a lot of lens options, fast AF, and a touchscreen. The Sony NEX on the other hand has a bunch of cool wifio features,, a lot more AF points, and excellent ergonmoics. My only hesitation with the NEX 6 is that there's not a whole lot of lens options. Are the lenses that are out for it though pretty sufficient? And, if you could, which camera would you recommend? I realize this is the NEX board and that might make the answer bias, but thats ok. I'm looking for user experiences more than anything right now. Thank you!

Smiller4128's gear list:Smiller4128's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
shaolin95
Contributing MemberPosts: 860Gear list
Like?
Re: Need help deciding between the Sony NEX 6 or the Olympus OMD EM5?
In reply to Smiller4128, Apr 16, 2013

My totally biased opinion. Nex-6 and then forget about the technology and concentrate on the art of picture taking..sound cliche but its true.
I went through the same choices not long ago and couldnt be happier.

Regards

shaolin95's gear list:shaolin95's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 4,228Gear list
Like?

Both are excellent cameras. Both have a wide choice of new and legacy lenses available.

The decision is yours....

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
Jarola
Regular MemberPosts: 286
Like?
In reply to shaolin95, Apr 16, 2013

I switched from the OM-D to the Nex 6...my only regret is the slower autofocus and the terrible, terrible, terrible battery life.  I have to leave the house with 2 spares!

Other than that every other box is ticked.  Love the handling of ther NEX 6.  I purchased the grip for the OM-D and only used the "grip" part, not the battery part.  It killed me to know that I had to spend $250 dollars so that the camera can feel "right" in my hands.

I love the OLY colors, but the NEX 6 colors are the best looking Sony colors that I have seen to date (I had the NEX 5n and RX100).

I fyou can live with slower autofocus and can carry extra batteries the NEX 6 is a great camera.

Crono_DL
Contributing MemberPosts: 518
Like?

Both are definitely great cameras. I think they're really more alike than they are different. The biggest difference is the sensor size. That'll affect your depth of field, and also how your legacy lenses will behave, if you do use legacy lenses. The OM-D also has stabilization, so that's another big difference.

Honestly, I wouldn't even consider the presence of Wi-Fi on the NEX-6 to be a positive point. It's not very well implemented, and I find it to be of very, very little use.

That being said, I'm very happy with the NEX-6, and it works great with MF lenses.

-- hide signature --

Danny

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,075Gear list
Like?

Smiller4128 wrote:

I know there's probably a lot of topics on this already but I'm just looking for some quick suggestions. I'm trying to decide between the Sony NEX-6 or the Olympus OMD EM5. I have been leaning more towards the EM5 mostly due to the style and look of it. For whatever reason I absolutely love the way it looks. It also has a lot of lens options, fast AF, and a touchscreen. The Sony NEX on the other hand has a bunch of cool wifio features,, a lot more AF points, and excellent ergonmoics. My only hesitation with the NEX 6 is that there's not a whole lot of lens options. Are the lenses that are out for it though pretty sufficient? And, if you could, which camera would you recommend? I realize this is the NEX board and that might make the answer bias, but thats ok. I'm looking for user experiences more than anything right now. Thank you!

Options on lenses don't matter if what you need is available. Now, with NEX, the possibilities with A-mount lenses also exists. What lenses are you expecting to get and have budgeted for?

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 12,492Gear list
Like?

There was a long discussion last week on another forum about the many breakdowns and other difficulties of the OMD. It was judged by some as Olympus' most unreliable camera.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Samsung WB750 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
ntsour
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?

Here is a copy-paste of a messed-up thread I started a few months ago.  It is not best in anything specific but does everything you would expect from a mirrorless, at a good price point and size.  This is its main issue and strength at the same time.

Here is my take from back in January:
I have a NEX 6 since it came out late October. I tried an EM5 for 4 days during Christmas, tempted after all the hype at the end of the year. At the end I returned the EM5.
I know that this has been discussed to death. But I was about to respond to a specific thread that came up recently. The reply ended up long so I thought, •what the heck I'll put in a thread on its own"
Warning:
- I only compared the two kit lenses. Normal and tele zooms.
- I only had the EM5 for 4 days. I put a lot of effort to learn all the options, hidden features tricks etc. But I have surely missed things or even be mistaken in some of my evaluations.
- I am a pretty unsophisticated family shooter. But I do get tech (computer and telecoms engineer). This is the point of view I wanted to describe.
- I don't pixel peep. Just look and share my photos.
Body and lens Build quality
* If I didn't know about the weather sealing of the EM5 I would say that the NEX is the better camera. I did not like the feel of the EM5 at all. Buttons, compartment doors, texture of the materials... All felt cheaper to me.
* The kit lenses (12-40 and 45-200) felt like plastic toys.
* I had also read about various failures of the EM5 in the forums.
=> But it IS weather proofed. For me it is not a big deal but it might be for somebody else. NEX 6 body/lenses wined my impressions here.
Handling / Ergonomics
* Again it is very personal. With the NEX 6 you have to put in a few clicks more to get things done and accept what Sony has decided for us. But everything is more or less easy enough to access and handle.
* With the EM5 you can really customize absolutely everything to your liking and there are plenty of HW buttons. But they are not easy to handle in my opinion. For example, the play button in the EM5 was a pain for me. I had to change my grip to another position to press it.
* The deal breaker here for the EM5 was the grip. And personally I do not need the second battery so I am not willing to pay for the extra EM5 grip. It just felt that I would drop it at some point in the future.
* I actually like the fact and I can charge it right after moving the photos via USB. Just switch off and leave connected. I could also remove bulk during trips. If Sony had included the charger it would be perfect, but 15 bucks more is no issue for a system that could reach 2000.
=> So NEX won here. If I were open to buy the grip, or were more serious about customization, like perhaps a professional photographer or a more enthusiastic shooter would, it would probably be an EM5 win.
Viewfinder/LCD
* Better resolution/ IQ the NEX more usable in low light the EM5
* Under direct sunlight the EM5 viewfinder was much better to use.
* But the NEX6 LCD was better under direct sunlight than the EM5. Actually in some cases it was better than its own viewfinder.
=> A draw for me.

Overall form factor/compactness
* Integrated flash + pancake SEL16-50 made a huge difference for me. Put in a zing accessory bag, or in a coat pocket and I can have it on me all the time. The EM5 with the 12-50 had to go in a bag. I could put a Panasonic pancake power zoom. But then I would lose wide angle, something I wanted. Plus I read about having to correct images when Panasonic lenses were used.
* I don't like to use flash but it is the only option in some cases, and very useful under bright sun also. The bounce trick was also a life saver in many occasions.
=> NEX 6 won
AF / Speed
* The EM5 S-AF is noticeably faster on average and almost never hesitates or fails. At top speed the difference is not that huge, but with the NEX 6 it was more of a gamble, especially under low light.
* C-AF was a NEX-6 win. EM5 was hopeless for me. I was mainly chasing kids around in good light (forget low light for both). NEX6 was not particularly good in absolute terms but I could definitely get some keepers. With the EM5 it was a lost cause.
=> So for me it was draw here.
Sensor/DOF/iSO
* The sensors in my opinion are in the same league. The differences come down to size:
- The larger sensor is noticed. DOF is a bit smaller under similar focal length/aperture. Coming from small sensors I was all about small DOF. Now I know that it cuts both ways. Sometimes I enjoy the APS-C size, other times I miss the smaller m4/3 or even my old LX3. Larger DOF certainly made some photos easier to take.
- Under similar circumstances I thought it required about 1 stop less under similar focal length, aperture and exposure time. It would be a big deal if it wasn't for the way EM5 does noise reduction. To my eyes it was just more pleasant than the NEX's. But the NEX let me use shorter exposures, something I need to shoot my kids under low light.
=> Draw for me in this respect
JPEG Engine, metering
* Generally speaking I would say that NEX gave more "natural" looking photos. EM5 more "processed". Sometimes I liked what EM5 did more than the SONY, especially indoors. Other times I preferred the SONY.
* NEX 6 usually underexposed and EM5 was usually spot-on.
* AWB was more accurate in the NEX 6 in my opinion.
=> Again draw here. I have to admit that the EM5 taught me how to PP some NEX photos to get a more pleasing result without overdoing it.
Image stabilization
* No news here. EM5 is much, much better than NEX 6 in-lens stabilization. My expectations were high and were met, unlike the AF (high but not fully met).
* However, the metering system of the EM5 relies too much on stabilization/iso1600 for my shooting subject (kids, family members that do not cooperate keeping still under low light). I got a LOT of photos with motion blur with the kit lens and P/Auto Mode. Had to switch to speed priority, force higher iso. With faster lenses this of course would not be an issue. But it was annoying.
* For still objects IBIS was amazing. But NEX 6 proved to have an ace up its sleeves. Hand-held-twilight mode and Multi Frame NR (the app). They work quite nice and reduce the advantage of IBIS vs. Sony's in-lens stabilization
=> EM5 wins here.
Manual lenses
* I do use manual lenses with my NEX. Ironically Olympus OM 50 1.8 and 3.5 Macro. Peaking works pretty well.
* I did not have and adapter to compare with the EM5. IBIS seemed like potentially a big deal. And there was this peaking trick for the EM5 that I did not try.
* 1.5 APS-C multiplier gave more interesting focal lengths for my use (not interested in extreme telephoto yet)
=> This issue was not so critical for me so I left my tests incomplete. No winner nor looser here. Just that NEX was good enough for me. The EM5? I do not know since I did not try manual focus.
Video
* Again different strengths and weaknesses.
* EM5 almost won due to IBIS and manual control of focus subject under AF (something I miss on the NEX)
* NEX gave more quality in terms of format (non-interlaced) and more manual control of exposure. The 16-50 was also much smoother zooming,
* I also thought that NEX built-in microphone is better, but I might be wrong
=> Draw here.
System future
* Sony had the lenses I needed so was good enough for me.
* m4/3 has more better/options but I would probably never need them. And Panasonic lenses need PP on Olympus if I understood correctly
* If I were planning to invest more on lenses this might have been critical. But I am not. I do not care for 400USD+ lenses of any brand. Out of my budget. I will have to keep away from DPreview forums for this to stay the same 
* I voted electronics vs. lenses. I am more of a computer engineer than an enthusiastic photographer. I know. I am also confident that Sony will put their best sensors on Sony’s first. And I expect them to push more their mirrorless business.
* I valued Wi-Fi and apps. Not very confident but hopeful that Sony will do a better job here. Even open the APIs for anyone to create apps.
=> But I could go either way.
Image Quality / Conclusion
* Putting the above together and looking at the results, the photos, I felt that EM5 did not give me anything significantly better nor worse in terms of IQ. For my shooting needs both are very good, NEX 6 may be a little bit better.
* My decision to return the EM5, I was prepared to keep it if it was really better, was more about other factors: compactness, grip, handling, suitability to my shooting needs and knowledge, apps/Wi-fi ....
* I totally get why a more "hardcore" shooter would prefer an EM5+m4/3 system. The EM5 is very special.
* NEX 6 might be more "boring" or less surprising. But to me it felt like the result of various years of evolution. Perhaps more consumer-focused rather than photographer-focused.

TiagoReil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,486Gear list
Like?

Smiller4128 wrote:

Without knowing what you need, what kind of photography you plan to make, it is very difficult to recommend you one or the other. So I will make some general recommendations.

First the wifi support right now is not very good. This is the first version that has it, and it is not very good. I tried using it, and it is mostly to upload to pages for jpg. I also tried the remote control with an android phone, and while it works, again, it is very simplistic and only for jpeg. It is a nice touch, but not something you would decide a camera on. Dont get me wrong, I think that many of these things are the future, and will be a lot better in future cameras, but for this camera, it is just a glimpse of the future, not something that makes a desicion now.

Second, the lenses depends a lot. What are you going to be photographing. While it is true that there are more lenses to choose from from m43s, there is also a lot of overlapping, cause there are 2 companies getting their own line of lenses. At the beginning  the nex didn't have that much lenses, the first year, and the second. But now, that difference is not that much, cause you have many new lenses. And more to come this year. But again, this boils down to what you want. IF what you want is not on the nex, then you should get the m43s.

IF you are a newbie, then the nex will be enough for you. IT has lots of options. You will be playing with the kit lens for a while, and it is a good, and practical, kit zoom.

Both are not near what a DSLR are regarding AF. The OMD is faster, but both are pretty bad at tracking, so you wont be able to use it for sport. There is actually an advantage on the nex there. You could get an Alpha lens and LAEA2 for days you shut sports. That option is not there on the OMD. Also, I see more options of independent developments for AF adapters (canon AF, Contax G, speed boosters) for the nex than for OMD. It may be that the lack of lenses make it more profitable, or that people that have lenses feel they prefer an aps-c sensor.

Both have nice bodies. The OMD is made as a DSLR and as many have said, some people need the grip. The nex has a nice grip, but it depends on your hands, what you like the most. Also, Ive read the buttons on the OMD are worst than the ones on the nex. Very small and a bit hard to press. Cant confirm that.

Both cameras have things that the other doesnt have.

IBIS: The OMD has it, the nex doesn't  IF you are going to use nex lenses, you wont feel it much. Yes, it is nice with tele lenses cause it is stabilized on the View finder, and obviously with manual focus lenses, but if you are using E-mount lenses then it is not that big.

Focus peaking: This is great for confirming focus, and for manual focus lenses. IT is not perfect, it depends on the shot, but in general, it gives you an extra way to check focus. Very nice. Only the nex has it.

And again, dont disregard the LAEA2. It converts your mirrorless into a DSLR (DSLT actually). YEs, it is bigger, but makes your camera a modular system, and it may be good for certain occasions. For instance, shutting sports, shutting complex situations where a DSLR is the right choice, you convert your small mirrorless into a DSLR and dont need 2 cameras.

So, as you see, it depends a lot on your taste (grip, buttons, ergonomics, looks) a lot on what you plan to use (OMD has more lenses, but sony has enough and opens the door to other bigger lenses). I think that for a beginner  both will be more than enough, so ergonomics would be the main reason to choose one or the other.

TiagoReil's gear list:TiagoReil's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +3 more
aodi
Contributing MemberPosts: 719
Like?
In reply to Jarola, Apr 16, 2013

Jarola wrote:

I switched from the OM-D to the Nex 6...my only regret is the slower autofocus and the terrible, terrible, terrible battery life.  I have to leave the house with 2 spares!

You got bad batteries or defective camera - I am getting between 5 and 6 hundred shots with about 10% flash use on Sony battery. (or I got exceptional battery):-)

Other than that every other box is ticked.  Love the handling of ther NEX 6.  I purchased the grip for the OM-D and only used the "grip" part, not the battery part.  It killed me to know that I had to spend $250 dollars so that the camera can feel "right" in my hands.

I love the OLY colors, but the NEX 6 colors are the best looking Sony colors that I have seen to date (I had the NEX 5n and RX100).

I fyou can live with slower autofocus and can carry extra batteries the NEX 6 is a great camera.

-- hide signature --

Anatoli

aodi
Contributing MemberPosts: 719
Like?

I had OMD and travel with it in Spain for two weeks (with the grip). Could not get over bad (IMO) ergonomics. Have now Nex 6 and very happy. I would say IQ is similar. I also believe that Sony lens choice is very decent now and more than enough for average user.

-- hide signature --

Anatoli

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,688Gear list
Like?
Re: Just a caution ...

Smiller4128 wrote:

I see that you already posted on the m43 forum that you decided that will go with the EM5.

The caution is that some of the feedback over there seems a bit lopsided.

This is a Nex forum, and you may get the opposite feedback here.

Try to balance both feedback points, and decide which weight factors matter to you.

Also try google:

A replacement for the Nex-7 and OM-D EM-5 will be announced this year, the Nex-6 is current with the more advanced technologies (namely OSPDAF and WiFi).

Both cameras are good cameras. Trade-offs are numerous. I, as a Nex user, am of course biased, but I find the Nex cameras generally to bit harder to use, but they produce more rewarding images - it being due to crop factor (wider), noise performance (cleaner), DOF (shallower), built-in-flash, PDAF.

Because m43 and APS-C use different aspect ratios, APS-C images are a lot wider (if horizontal) - similar to CRT Tube TVs and newer HD LED TVs - I like the horizontal wider aspect ratio more. But it can be a negative for vertical images. Either way, for web, print, people shots, the m43 aspect ratio is often preferred - so take your pick.

A minor point, but one that matters to me, is that a Nex camera can be a true DSLR equivalent, in IQ, camera. A m43 camera is not. That means that any 'APS-C' based learning, documentation, etc. does apply to the Nex the same as it does to DSLR cameras.

If you are just an occasional user, a hobbyist, and plan to only purchase a few lenses, the OM-D EM-5 may be the better bet, as I say - it is an easier camera to get used to. It also adds IS to non-IS (legacy lenses), but keep in mind that the crop factor makes them 'longer'. This effect also can be a plus if you  prefer tele lenses over wide lenses.

But if you would become more of a system builder, are going to explore more boundaries, will eventually acquire more lenses (especially legacy lenses) and gain more experience, and even become a prosumer, or pro, then I think that the Nex-6 will be a more rewarding camera (system) in the long run.

In the end, it is your choice. But once you pick the camera, you are more likely to spend time on the forum that belongs to that camera. Look at the forums today and observe the varying discussions. For some (that I have seen leaving this forum for the Fuji, Leica or FM forums), this matters as well.

As to lens options, I think you should consider budget first. There are already more lenses available for either system than I think you are ready to purchase today. Neither system is cheap, and then there are the third party and legacy lens options.

The Nex camera has an interesting feature that the OM-D lacks - in the LA-EA2. It converts the Nex camera into a DSLR camera without OSS, meaning instant (true PDAF) focusing.

And when comparing lenses, do apply the crop factor: m43 is 2x, Nex is 1.5x, FF is 1.0x (normalized).

This means that a 20mm m43 lens correspond to a 30mm Nex lens and to a 52mm FF lens.

Or to say this in reverse, to get a 24mm FF lens FOV, you need a 16mm Nex lens and a 12mm m43.

And, in-spite of all the hype, I am convinced that the Nex-6 maintains higher IQ than the EM-5, assuming 'perfectly matched conditions' (FOV, lighting, focusing, tripod).

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,776
Like?
In reply to Smiller4128, Apr 17, 2013

Think before you buy. The only one who can tell what camera you should buy is you, no one on this forum can tell you this. We can help you look in the right direction, but it is totaly up to you.

Forget IQ, IQ for all mirrorless cameras is close. One might be a full stop better in low light or so, but most of it will not be seen in real life prints, or when not pixelpeeping on the screen.

Lenses: When one of the systems does not have the lens you need or want, go for the one that does have the lens you want. When both systems have the lenses you want then forget about lenses. The IQ of modern lenses is very good. Differenses are there, but the primes (the 24mm 35mm and the 50mm) are of great quality. the same goes for the 18-55, 18-200mm and 10-18mm zoom lenses. In real life the differenses are hardly visible.

So when IQ and lenses both are no problem for you then there are two important things to think about:

Features: Does one of the cameras has the features you realy want/need and the other not? Then go for that camera

Ergonomics: This is very personal. I don't like the ergonomics of the OM-D and love the ergonomics of the Nex 5 I own. So for me the Nex  is way better. For you it may be the other way around... Go for the camera with the best handling for you... I find at the present handling way more important then the tiny differences in IQ.

captura
Forum ProPosts: 12,492Gear list
Like?
In reply to ntsour, Apr 17, 2013

There are many excellent lenses to choose from with m43. Some are more cheaply constructed than NEX and cost less to purchase. But most of these deliver great optical performance. For example I picked up a 40-150R Olympus lens with a plastic lensmount, for $150. But it outperforms any of NEX's medium telephotos according to Imatests.

Lenses are the big advantage of the m43 system.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Samsung WB750 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Smiller4128
Regular MemberPosts: 309Gear list
Like?
Problem with lens?
In reply to Smiller4128, Apr 18, 2013

I'm looking at a lot of forums and websites and almost everyone is knocking the NEX system for their lenses. They all say that the lenses aren't great at all. Any merit to that statement? Cause I had been leaning towards the OMD EM5, but then I handled the NEX6 in store today and liked it, plus the fact that its a good $300-$400 cheaper doesn't hurt either But now with this possible lens issue, I'm not sure again lol

Smiller4128's gear list:Smiller4128's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,782Gear list
Like?
Re: Problem with lens?

Smiller4128 wrote:

I'm looking at a lot of forums and websites and almost everyone is knocking the NEX system for their lenses. They all say that the lenses aren't great at all. Any merit to that statement? Cause I had been leaning towards the OMD EM5, but then I handled the NEX6 in store today and liked it, plus the fact that its a good $300-$400 cheaper doesn't hurt either But now with this possible lens issue, I'm not sure again lol

Personally, I'm tired of talking about the fanboy-ish nature of many m43ers, their insecurity that APS-C mirrorless competition will make them irrelevant, which then manifests as relentless politicking against other systems (particularly the price-competitive NEXs)... and this now-perpetuated Big Lie that 1) m43 lenses are all great, 2) the NEX lenses all suck, and 3) and there are lots of m43 lenses while there are no NEX lenses.

I think the proof lies in the pudding.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/alpha-nex/

http://www.flickr.com/groups/om-d_user/

You can look for yourself and see what looks better.  Or conclude that there is no significant difference whatsoever.

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +16 more
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,724Gear list
Like?
In reply to DtEW, Apr 18, 2013

DtEW wrote:

Smiller4128 wrote:

Personally, I'm tired of talking about the fanboy-ish nature of many m43ers, their insecurity that APS-C mirrorless competition will make them irrelevant, which then manifests as relentless politicking against other systems (particularly the price-competitive NEXs)... and this now-perpetuated Big Lie that 1) m43 lenses are all great, 2) the NEX lenses all suck, and 3) and there are lots of m43 lenses while there are no NEX lenses.

You can look for yourself and see what looks better.  Or conclude that there is no significant difference whatsoever.

This reminds me of when the 55-210 came out.  There were some immediate complaints about it (seemingly from non-owners), but when I saw actual posted photos, they all seemed to be good, oddly enough.  Even crops had lots of detail.  We're not talking about a super-expensive f2.8 tele-zoom, but for what it is, it's pretty good.  If you find that m43 has a similar lens that is less-expensive and/or better, then that could be an argument to get an m43 camera, if that's the only type of lens and range that matters.  If you're going to be negative about Nex lenses, it seems to me that you should have more evidence that there's something wrong with the current lenses.  The zooms tend to be less high-end and more consumer-oriented.  If you want the highest quality, you have options with primes or you can always go with Alpha mount,which has lots of choices.  The adapter isn't a big deal if you already wanted a larger lens anyway.  But I have a problem finding fault with the 55-210, for example, and I have no need for 20 lenses -- as long as the lenses I want are available, then it doesn't matter if another brand has more.

In the early days of the Nex, the complaints were 1) lack of lenses and 2) isn't that kit lens huge?  You don't see as much of those complaints any more.  Now it's more like, "Where's that high-quality medium tele zoom?"  Yeah, ok, there's a place for that lens, but personally, I think I'm good for a while on lenses.  But if you have not yet committed to a brand, you have the luxury of reviewing the available lens selection and deciding if there are gaping holes that are important to you.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +10 more
nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,776
Like?

Can you tell what lens you think you need? Then we can tel what way you should go.

It is true that there are more lenses for the m43 then for the nex range, but most FL up to 210mm are covered at the moment with zoom lenses, the most important FL up to 50mm are covered with primes. Some high quality primes from Zeiss are on its way so if you are willing to pay their price that is an option too.

I'm not saying Nex has all covered as some lenses are still needed (short tele prime, high quality zoom lenses etc) But the question is do you need those lenses?

Then the quality of the lenses. Remember that on a M43 camera all lenses are corrected in camera, most test are using correctedd output to test the IQ, on the Nex they most use uncorrected output.

And look at the results on the net with Sony camera/lenses and you will see if the IQ is good enough for you or not. For most people even the kit lenses are more then enough for their needs, but only you can deside...

Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,946Gear list
Like?

Insecurity? Whichever fanboy told you that, which m43 user told you that he/she was "insecure"?The system is doing fine.

I never came across the hyperbole about lenses, but this is the general feeling on the m43 forum:

- The lens lineup of m43 lenses is much more complete and there are more excellent lenses than you'll find in the NEX system.

In general, if I look at the reviews, this is correct. Also, there are very weathersealed lenses, therre are very good macro lenses, there are native telezooms with a 600 mm reach that you cannot have currently on the NEX. Also many mFT lenses tend ot be very good if not excellent wide open. This is all true.

Pro's on the OMD:
- weathersealing and dustsealing
- 5 AXIS IBIS (every lens is stablized!), very good stablisation also in video
- touchscreen is very nice to have, not necessary
- more telezoom, nice for macro and to have more reach
- Very fast and accurate autofocus, probably the fastest out there
- Excellent JPEgs straight out of the camera

Pro on the Sony:
- Like the ergonomics a lot better (nice grip)
- Small body
- Easier to create a shallow depth of field
- Somewhat better sensor still
- Wifi
- Better video mode
- Focus peaking i svery nice for manual focussed lenses
- Adapter lets you use all Sony lenses and does PDAF, which make the cam good for wildlife, sport and birding

That is about what I can come up with.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,163
Like?

DtEW wrote:

Smiller4128 wrote:

Agree on every point. There are psychological issues on m4/3 forum, I call it people with small sensor complex. The myths about m4/3 and other systems are psychological props they need to fend off the feelings of insecurity.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads