Waterproof cameras which would you recommend? Samples?

Started Apr 16, 2013 | Discussions
One_Oldman_4U
Senior MemberPosts: 1,171Gear list
Like?
Waterproof cameras which would you recommend? Samples?
Apr 16, 2013

I have to replace my AW100 waterproof camera. Does anyone have any experience and some samples (Oly TG-2, Panasonic TS-5, Pentas, etc) and do you like the results? Video is not important to me but would be nice. I just need it for everyday use and more likely not much underwater.

Thanks.

One_Oldman_4U's gear list:One_Oldman_4U's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Nikon 1 V1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +3 more
Nikon Coolpix AW100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Paul Farace
Contributing MemberPosts: 734Gear list
Like?
Waterproof is the only way to go for P&S!
In reply to One_Oldman_4U, Apr 16, 2013

after buying several very expensive P&S cameras I realized that if you are going to buy a P&S it should be one that you can take anywhere... boating or canoeing... to the beach, or any activity tha may be detrimental to a delicate camera.  I had a ton of cameras but couldn't take any on a canoe trip with my friends because if the boat tipped it was DEAD!  So yea, I purchased a Lumix TS-4 after considering the field. It goes down to 40+ feet ... it is very rugged (like a block of metal in your pocket) and it shoots great images and video. Colors are nice too... because if you lose it in the mud, water, slush, etc., a bright orange or blue camera is easier to see than a black one... however, not being able to decide what color to buy, I opted for black but have a colorful float strap for use around water.

-- hide signature --

Holding a camera, any camera, reduces my blood pressure, calms my nerves, and gives me a sense of opportunity!

Paul Farace's gear list:Paul Farace's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Fujifilm X-Pro1 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
joneil
Regular MemberPosts: 158
Like?
Re: Waterproof cameras which would you recommend? Samples?

What is "not much underwater" really mean?  At least to you?   Once a eyar snorkel trip, or just a few feet of water, but a few times a week all summer long?  Salt water or fresh water?  That all makes a difference.

Not slighting this forum at all, but I personally find the  wetpixel website and forums full of excellent advice if you are really serious into the subject

good luck

lenshoarder
Contributing MemberPosts: 601
Like?

I would get a Sony TX5/10/20/30.  If you can still find it on sale, the Sony stores were selling the TX20 for $150 to clear them out for the TX30.  Why the Sony TX?  They are the only waterproof cameras that don't scream "waterpoof camera".  They look exactly like all the other Sony TX cameras.  Based on your desired everyday use with only occassional water use that seems like a good way to go.  Pulling out a bright orange industrial rivet and bolt motif camera does tend to draw some attention.  The Sony just looks like any other P&S camera.

As for image quality, I consider the Panasonic and Sony a cut above the other consumer grade waterproof cameras.

joejack951
Senior MemberPosts: 2,399Gear list
Like?

One_Oldman_4U wrote:

I have to replace my AW100 waterproof camera. Does anyone have any experience and some samples (Oly TG-2, Panasonic TS-5, Pentas, etc) and do you like the results? Video is not important to me but would be nice. I just need it for everyday use and more likely not much underwater.

Curious as I just purchased an AW100 refurbished, why not another of the same?

My wife and I have three other Nikons but I'm a nervous wreck any time we go near water or worse yet on the beach with them. The AW100 was pretty cheap otherwise I might have gone for another make/model. Unlike our other cameras which all share something, the AW100 offers nothing to the other cameras nor can it share any accessories (sadly).

joejack951's gear list:joejack951's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D300S Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
Hen3ry
Forum ProPosts: 10,474Gear list
Like?
Try the Pannny or Oly
In reply to One_Oldman_4U, Apr 17, 2013

I would have got the latest Oly but I had to buy in the middle of last yer before it reached the land of Oz.

There was a downside to it though -- its color.

I bought the Panasonic FT4 (I presume that's the TS4 in the US) in orange and added a multicolor sling to it. If I drop it in some nasty situation I want to be able to find it!

I haven’t done anything meaningful underwater with it yet -- that will come in the next couple of months with the advent of the dry season in my part of the tropics, the New Guinea Islands, and the clearing of the waters around the wonderful coral reefs. I missed out last year for a variety of reasons.

It is great for confidence when you’re in an open boat and the sea is slopping over the side as you run through a tropical rain storm!

Here is a picture in calm weather:

An under water test -- all of a meter or so! 

And above water with a dripping camera.

Pretty sharp (100%)

But you can have this problem -- see the condensation in the middle of the window? Due to high humidity air getting into the camera when I opened it to access the battery and card, and the (comparative) coolness of the sea when immersed.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
tdlee
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?

One_Oldman_4U wrote:

Thanks.

I don't have the TS-5 but I do have the Panasonic TS-3 and assume that they are very similar.  At the time I purchased mine, it had the best depth rating for the price.  I find the always expose lens kind of annoying and wouldn't mind more zoom.  My primary purpose for the camera was to take pictures on and underwater so the depth rating was the most important attribute for me.  If I was to replace it today, I would go would try the Nikon AW110 or maybe the Sony Rx100 with a housing.

Just curious though, if you don't plan to use it in the water are you considering regular point and shoots?  If I wasn't interested in on the water and underwater photography I would probably go with a regular point and shoot though.  I usually prefer the user interface and features of non-tough cameras more.  I attached some sample pictures from the TS-3 below.

Robert Anderson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,261
Like?
Lots of samples here

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/waterproof-2012/waterproofA.HTM

I have the Canon D20. Here are some of my sample images:

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9208018736/albums/d20

I am happy enough with the images as a rugged camera but all of these rugged models have small sensors and folded optical systems which reduces the quality. I would not carry them around as a pocket camera for everyday shooting.

I have recently purchased the Sony RX100 and an underwater housing for when I go kayaking or snorkeling. Some samples from it here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51244296

and full size crops here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51253552

Be sure to click though to the original files to appreciate the details.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads