Started Apr 16, 2013 | User reviews
Nemsi
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Seems great
Apr 16, 2013

I've not bought it yet but I'd love to.
..done a bit of research and looks awesome:
Sharp images (except for the extreme corners at wide angle) and light transmission in overall
A fine piece of glass (FLD)
Fixed aperture at 2.8 (great thing for low light conditions)
OS is rumored to be excellent
I wouldn't mind a bit of vignetting at wide open (easy job in Lightroom)
I'd say it's ahead of Tamron's 17-50mm
...very reasonable for it's price

...I guess it'll work fine for my D5100
I rate it 5stars for it's worth the price and good performance... I'll see if I have second thoughts after owning it

Nemsi's score
Average community score
Nikon D5100 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MBenChikh
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
How can you evaluate a lens you do not ow ?
In reply to Nemsi, Apr 17, 2013

Considering my experience with this lens, I guess you will be very disappointed.

It is decentered. Then, it is common that it suffers from front focusing (mine did). This lens is the main reason why I decided to sell my Sigma SD15 camera, and not buying the SD1, investing instead in the DPx Merrill instead.

There is nothing worst than not trusting your camera, and this is finally what I experienced with this lens. When you focus right, and thif picture comes out of focus, there is something very wrong. This lens is perfect on paper, not in real life. Results can be stunning for scenery, but for macros, portraits, it is not reliable.

Well, this is my experience, and I am sure many will tell you the same story. You should instead consider the 17-70 as it semore it does not suffer from these issues...

Regards,

M-

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ceistinne
Regular MemberPosts: 416Gear list
Like?
Re: Seems great
In reply to Nemsi, Apr 17, 2013

Nemsi,

I have this lens and have never had any kind of problem with it.  I would say it is a very good lens.

S

Hardy Steiner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,770
Like?
Re: How can you evaluate a lens you do not ow ?
In reply to MBenChikh, Apr 17, 2013

I strongly agree with you that the reviewer should have used the lens before reviewing it ... but:

hm, so you say yours was decentered and you assume that all other ones are exactly the same, but non of the 17-70mm will have this issue. So you sold your SD15 because of this, and got a DP ... and all the DPs don't have any problem at all. Are you sure?

Just because one lens (or a small percentage of them) are decentered it doesn't mean that all of the 17-50mm are ... you can just send it back and get the problem fixed by Sigma. I know, it is quite annoying, I had once the same problem with my 10-20mm lens, but this is no reason to jump to wrong conclusions and give misleading advice. I could have understood you if you had said: Sigma has some quality control issues and I will not buy anything from them any more. But then, truth is, the every camera/lens manufacturer has had at some point quality control issues.

-- hide signature --

Best regards,
Hardy
==================
Join the Sigma DP Macro Group on:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/sigma_dp_macro/
My pictures on:
On Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/diddy

mike earussi
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,701
Like?
Re: Seems great
In reply to Ceistinne, Apr 17, 2013

I bought it new from B&H and the OS was broken out of the box. The QC with this lens varies widely. Let the buyer beware. Also the edges aren't sharp except at 50mm.

Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 3,341Gear list
Like?
In reply to MBenChikh, Apr 17, 2013

MBenChikh wrote:

Considering my experience with this lens, I guess you will be very disappointed.

It is decentered. Then, it is common that it suffers from front focusing (mine did). This lens is the main reason why I decided to sell my Sigma SD15 camera, and not buying the SD1, investing instead in the DPx Merrill instead.

There is nothing worst than not trusting your camera, and this is finally what I experienced with this lens. When you focus right, and thif picture comes out of focus, there is something very wrong. This lens is perfect on paper, not in real life. Results can be stunning for scenery, but for macros, portraits, it is not reliable.

Well, this is my experience, and I am sure many will tell you the same story. You should instead consider the 17-70 as it semore it does not suffer from these issues...

Regards,

M-

I have a 17-50 early production, with SA-mount.  Had to send SD15 and lens to Sigma for focus calibration, since SD15 does not have micro-adjust.  After that the lens worked very well, but it does have slight decentering with loss of focus on the left side.  Not a serious problem on the SD15, but more noticeable on my SD1.

I think you made a good decision to go someplace other than Sigma DSLRs.  I continued beyond the SD15 with a SD1 purchase when they suddenly got affordable, just before the SD1M hit the market.  Generally I had to manually focus my SD1 regardless of lens, and micro adjust optimized focus at one distance for a given lens (OK for tourist shots though).

At this point I've had no end of bad luck cleaning sensors on my SD15 and SD1 and plan to soon send both to Sigma for a thorough sensor cleaning.  Sigma USA generally does really good work so I have high hopes, just waiting until I feel I can pay for this.

If I had known then what I know now, I would have gone with a DP2M.  At the moment the only Sigma purchase I am thinking about is a DP3M.  If I get dust on the sensor I can use some software to remove it.  Less chance of getting dust on the DPxM sensors because lenses have leaf shutters, not focal plane shutters that churn the air next to the sensor with every shot.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
Nemsi
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to MBenChikh, Apr 22, 2013

You're note is quite true but I've not made a review because a think this lens is superb, but rather think it's a rare product of reasonable price. Even though I know Nikon's 17-55mm 2.8 is the one to give 5 stars to - I'd not do so, as it's too expansive and I think that's really wrong. I've seen a lot of pictures with sigma 17-50 and "seems cool" if it so happens that I get a decent one (not broken down or so) then I don't suppose I'll regret it  :))

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads