Buff Rocks

Started Apr 16, 2013 | Discussions
historianx
Contributing MemberPosts: 804
Like?
Buff Rocks
Apr 16, 2013

I rarely have issues with my Paul Buff lighting equipment, and when I do, it's usually a cheaply-designed and made small part that breaks off, in this case the small flimsy clip that keeps the mounting rail on my ABR800 ring flash from moving back and forth.

But I will say this: their customer service is exemplary.  I called them this AM, and 1) you NEVER get a prompt wall, and 2) they realize that some of their components can fail, and don't try to beat around the bush with lame excuses.  Even they admitted this part fails often, and that they are considering a redesign.

Next thing I know, the nice customer service lady is sending out a replacement today, and I was told that even after the warranty expires that if any of the replacements break just give them a call.

Nice.  That's what makes this company so wonderful to deal with!

Lawrence Keeney
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,000Gear list
Like?
Re: Buff Rocks
In reply to historianx, Apr 16, 2013

I agree with you 100%. We have learned to expect and respect the Paul Buff great service both before and after the sale.

-- hide signature --
 Lawrence Keeney's gear list:Lawrence Keeney's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
historianx
Like?
In reply to Lawrence Keeney, Apr 16, 2013

Lots of noobs here ask about going beyond Speedlites into the studio strobe realm, and I always steer them to PCB.   For a relatively small investment you can add some serious creative power, and get a company that stands by their product.  Value: the consumer dream.

Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,213
Like?
In reply to historianx, Apr 17, 2013

historianx wrote:

Lots of noobs here ask about going beyond Speedlites into the studio strobe realm, and I always steer them to PCB.   For a relatively small investment you can add some serious creative power, and get a company that stands by their product.  Value: the consumer dream.

Of course you could spend more money and never have to contact customer service.

Brian A

zanderlane
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
Re: Buff Rocks, totally...
In reply to Hugowolf, Apr 17, 2013

Hugowolf wrote:

historianx wrote:

Of course you could spend more money and never have to contact customer service.

Brian A

Brian, I think you meant to say, "Of course you could spend A BOATLOAD MORE MONEY and never have to contact customer service."

...although, BTW, my neighbor who shoots with Profoto had a ton of weirdness going on with her acute packs and heads last year - much shipping and much arguing and finally had to pay a TON of money to get it fixed...just sayin', for the money, nothing comes close to buff stuff!

z

kenyee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,509Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, Apr 17, 2013

Hugowolf wrote:

Or you could spend a ton still have issue...a friend bought an Elinchrom Quadra...pack died on him and he doesn't use it all that often and maintained it well...

kenyee's gear list:kenyee's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +1 more
Lawrence Keeney
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,000Gear list
Like?
In reply to kenyee, Apr 17, 2013

If you are doing $100,000 shoots for the top name companies, I can understand purchasing expensive equipment. However, Paul Buff lighting works great for the 99% of the rest of us who do not fall into this category.

Any lighting equipment is subject to failure. It is what happens after the failure that counts.

-- hide signature --
 Lawrence Keeney's gear list:Lawrence Keeney's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1
historianx
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, Apr 18, 2013

Hugowolf wrote:

historianx wrote:

Brian A

Lol right haha ask my colleague that bought big bank into Elinchrom and when that "more money" stuff went south on her after 7 light months of use the nightmarish BS she went through just to get to a customer service rep.  A big huge joke.  Me? two minute call to a real person at PCB that had my replacements shipped the same day.

She sold out and bought two Einsteins and could not be happier, two years later.

historianx
Like?
In reply to Lawrence Keeney, Apr 18, 2013

Lawrence Keeney wrote:

If you are doing $100,000 shoots for the top name companies, I can understand purchasing expensive equipment. However, Paul Buff lighting works great for the 99% of the rest of us who do not fall into this category.

Any lighting equipment is subject to failure. It is what happens after the failure that counts.

-- hide signature --

If I was doing that kind of work, where the client wanted and would pay for high end equipment, I would rent.

Atoche
Contributing MemberPosts: 569Gear list
Like?
In reply to historianx, Apr 23, 2013

historianx wrote:

I am one of those noobs... I researched, read and purchased a B800 unit from PCB....  Very happy.  Easy to use, not expensive.... And great results..

-- hide signature --

"I may be a geek, but it pays for the car...!"

Atoche's gear list:Atoche's gear list
Pentax Optio WG-2 GPS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 500D Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-3N +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads