What happened to this forum?

Started Apr 16, 2013 | Discussions
n057
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,217Gear list
Like?
Re: I don't see anything wrong with the forum
In reply to pixd90, Apr 17, 2013

pixd90 wrote:

Quite better for the few remaining but compared to other forums - one of the fewest threads and posts.  Unless the D400 comes out this forum is heading for extinction.

Because of the small number of posts? How about this one ?

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

n057's gear list:n057's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nikkorwatcher
Contributing MemberPosts: 684
Like?
In reply to n057, Apr 17, 2013

I prefer my jewellery black to silver.

pixd90
Senior MemberPosts: 1,202Gear list
Like?
In reply to n057, Apr 17, 2013

n057 wrote:

pixd90 wrote:

Quite better for the few remaining but compared to other forums - one of the fewest threads and posts.  Unless the D400 comes out this forum is heading for extinction.

Because of the small number of posts? How about this one ?

JC
Some cameras, some lenses, some computers

you have taken my entire quote out of context. I am not bemoaning or critizieing this forum. The original question was what happened to this forum. It is still a fact that the volume of posts has been and continues to decline, this is not to say that the context has decreased.

pixd90's gear list:pixd90's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
RomeoD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,066Gear list
Like?
Been out taking pictures
In reply to jjoyce, Apr 17, 2013
-- hide signature --

RomeoD
www.flickr.com/rcdizon

RomeoD's gear list:RomeoD's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +5 more
TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 10,874Gear list
Like?
In reply to pixd90, Apr 18, 2013

pixd90 wrote:

D300- 2008;

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
MMuddler
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,418
Like?
Re: Not trying to be negative...
In reply to jjoyce, Apr 18, 2013

jjoyce wrote:

My point was watching this forum in the past, the majority of the threads were whining about the D300 replacement.  Now that the D7100 hit there is nothing going on here.   Think the whiners went out to try the D71K and are actually taking pictures, not whining here.

Like Kerry said, this is better!

Hah! So the few faithful left waiting in this forum are not/ were not the whiners. We should feel good you have excluded us. You say the whiners are  now doing something useful .... like actually taking pictures with their new D7100. Not trying to be negative?

-- hide signature --
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Not trying to be negative...
In reply to MMuddler, Apr 18, 2013

MMuddler wrote:

jjoyce wrote:

My point was watching this forum in the past, the majority of the threads were whining about the D300 replacement.  Now that the D7100 hit there is nothing going on here.   Think the whiners went out to try the D71K and are actually taking pictures, not whining here.

Like Kerry said, this is better!

Hah! So the few faithful left waiting in this forum are not/ were not the whiners. We should feel good you have excluded us. You say the whiners are  now doing something useful .... like actually taking pictures with their new D7100. Not trying to be negative?

-- hide signature --

Not sure I understand this comment.  The people loving their D300s are already out taking pics & not worried about a replacement.

jjoyce's gear list:jjoyce's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600
AWG_Pics
Contributing MemberPosts: 697Gear list
Like?
Re: It is the calm before the D400 storm
In reply to Robert A F, Apr 19, 2013

Ha! I am waiting for lifepixel to send my D90 back after they convert it to IR. Even more bliss!

AWG_Pics's gear list:AWG_Pics's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D40 Nikon D90 Nikon D700 +40 more
PatMann
Contributing MemberPosts: 762
Like?
There is no longer a competitive "do it all" pro DX camera
In reply to jjoyce, Apr 19, 2013

The D300 and D300s users have begun to splinter off as their camera has become less optimal for various specializations in relation to the competition from full frame and mirrorless.

I bought my D300s about a year and a half ago to replace my declining D200 since it was still, for me, the best affordable one-camera option for a wide variety of photographic applications. The reason the D300s was that camera is that I shoot wildlife as well as other things, and DX is still the budget wildlife shooter's home - there is no $6,000-10,000 lens in my future.

IF Nikon had delivered some fast wide DX primes and a short tele f/2.8 DX zoom, DX could have kept up a bit more in the low light arena with one more stop of lens performance, instead of losing ground to the D600 for those who want to shoot events, night, low-light performance, etc., but don't need the durability of a weatherproof camera and the fast processor/shutter/mirror package and big buffer for action with RAW.

IF Nikon had delivered a D300x about a year ago with a 24mp sensor, and maybe a DX ultrawide prime and a DX PC lens, DX could have kept up in the resolution arena for those who want to shoot landscapes, architecture, etc. with near-medium-format resolution for big prints.

Now those shooters with serious needs for resolution or low light, where the D300 is no longer competitive, have supplemented or are planning to supplement their D300 or D300s with a D600 or a D800 or some other solution. Fewer than before will go back to a DX camera as their one and only when the D400 comes out. By not supporting DX as a complete system, Nikon has splintered their users into separate camps who have gone their separate ways, and splintered the market for a jack-of-all trades DX pro camera. The D400 will not have the success that the D300 line did, unless it's a real tech triumph that brings this format back to the front again.

Things that might make this happen, bringing back a true do-everything-well Swiss Army Knife of a DX top-of-the-line camera:

1. Finish out the DX lens line with at least 2-3 of these at intro with a roadmap for the rest: 24 mm f/1.4, 16mm or 18mm f/2, 14mm f/2.8, 9mm or 10mm f/3.5, 10-18mm f/2.8, 16mm PC-E, 16-55 f/2.8, 50-135 f/2.8. The lenses must be there this time to keep people in this format. We really expected them to follow the D300, but were abandoned here.

2. 24 mp sensor with good dynamic range for the landscapers and architecture/interior shooters.

3. 4k video with two or three key video lenses.

4. Wireless and GPS with no dongles or barnacles.

5. A true pro finder with screw-on accessories and readily replaceable screens for manual focus.

6. Electronic shutter with very high frame rate and flash syc at high speeds.

7. UHF radio flash commander.

8. On-sensor phase detect autofocus.

9. Price competitive with D800.

This could also be a plan for a top-of-the-line camera to introduce a new mirrorless range with its own lens set and F mount adapter. I'm a customer for either.

-- hide signature --

Pat

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: There is no longer a competitive "do it all" pro DX camera
In reply to PatMann, Apr 19, 2013

+150 on #8.   I grabbed a V1 at the X-mas blowout and that focus system rocks.

jjoyce's gear list:jjoyce's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600
WD
WD
Contributing MemberPosts: 519
Like?
In reply to PatMann, Apr 19, 2013

PatMann wrote:

The D300 and D300s users have begun to splinter off as their camera has become less optimal for various specializations in relation to the competition from full frame and mirrorless.

I bought my D300s about a year and a half ago to replace my declining D200 since it was still, for me, the best affordable one-camera option for a wide variety of photographic applications. The reason the D300s was that camera is that I shoot wildlife as well as other things, and DX is still the budget wildlife shooter's home - there is no $6,000-10,000 lens in my future.

IF Nikon had delivered some fast wide DX primes and a short tele f/2.8 DX zoom, DX could have kept up a bit more in the low light arena with one more stop of lens performance, instead of losing ground to the D600 for those who want to shoot events, night, low-light performance, etc., but don't need the durability of a weatherproof camera and the fast processor/shutter/mirror package and big buffer for action with RAW.

IF Nikon had delivered a D300x about a year ago with a 24mp sensor, and maybe a DX ultrawide prime and a DX PC lens, DX could have kept up in the resolution arena for those who want to shoot landscapes, architecture, etc. with near-medium-format resolution for big prints.

Now those shooters with serious needs for resolution or low light, where the D300 is no longer competitive, have supplemented or are planning to supplement their D300 or D300s with a D600 or a D800 or some other solution. Fewer than before will go back to a DX camera as their one and only when the D400 comes out. By not supporting DX as a complete system, Nikon has splintered their users into separate camps who have gone their separate ways, and splintered the market for a jack-of-all trades DX pro camera. The D400 will not have the success that the D300 line did, unless it's a real tech triumph that brings this format back to the front again.

Things that might make this happen, bringing back a true do-everything-well Swiss Army Knife of a DX top-of-the-line camera:

1. Finish out the DX lens line with at least 2-3 of these at intro with a roadmap for the rest: 24 mm f/1.4, 16mm or 18mm f/2, 14mm f/2.8, 9mm or 10mm f/3.5, 10-18mm f/2.8, 16mm PC-E, 16-55 f/2.8, 50-135 f/2.8. The lenses must be there this time to keep people in this format. We really expected them to follow the D300, but were abandoned here.

2. 24 mp sensor with good dynamic range for the landscapers and architecture/interior shooters.

3. 4k video with two or three key video lenses.

4. Wireless and GPS with no dongles or barnacles.

5. A true pro finder with screw-on accessories and readily replaceable screens for manual focus.

6. Electronic shutter with very high frame rate and flash syc at high speeds.

7. UHF radio flash commander.

8. On-sensor phase detect autofocus.

9. Price competitive with D800.

This could also be a plan for a top-of-the-line camera to introduce a new mirrorless range with its own lens set and F mount adapter. I'm a customer for either.

-- hide signature --

Pat

The last two lines are most prescient.

Why invest the resources to produce APS-C lenses you describe for a camera design in decline, the "pro" style DX dSLR.  Most DX cameras are sold to amateurs, not to be degrading, who will not want, use, or purchase these lenses.  The trend today is to FF by those who need/want these features.

But Nikon could produce a DX mirrorless system complete with these lenses at a lower price point with more compact size and steal the mlc market from Oly, Pana, Sony and Canon.  The momentum could rival or exceed that of the D70 and early Rebel.  Like you said, you'd be a customer.  So would I and so would a huge number of others!

-- hide signature --

Warren

mlewan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,144Gear list
Like?
In reply to WD, Apr 19, 2013

WD wrote:

Why invest the resources to produce APS-C lenses you describe for a camera design in decline, the "pro" style DX dSLR.  Most DX cameras are sold to amateurs, not to be degrading, who will not want, use, or purchase these lenses.  The trend today is to FF by those who need/want these features.

The market may not be huge, but surely DX lenses have the big advantage that they are lighter than FX lenses. A 70mm light DX prime to match the 105mm FX could be welcome to some people.

WD
WD
Contributing MemberPosts: 519
Like?
In reply to mlewan, Apr 20, 2013

mlewan wrote:

WD wrote:

The market may not be huge, but surely DX lenses have the big advantage that they are lighter than FX lenses. A 70mm light DX prime to match the 105mm FX could be welcome to some people.

Agree.  Which is my argument for mirrorless DX.  The camera and lenses are even lighter than those for DX dSLR.  (And, with the adapter, any existing lenses you own will still work automatically with the mirrorless camera, ala V1/V2/J1/J2/J3.)  Nikon has had more than a dozen years to produce the lens you wish for.  On the verge of new technology, I wonder if Nikon will  produce that lens NOW?  There are, after all, lenses available from Sigma/Tamron et al for those who really need the focal length.

Regards,

-- hide signature --

Warren

DaytonR
Regular MemberPosts: 238
Like?
Re: What happened to this forum?
In reply to NikonScavenger, Apr 20, 2013

NikonScavenger wrote:

nikkorwatcher wrote:

Six years is a long time to wait for a truly new version of a digital camera. It would be decent of Nikon if they are not to update the D300s to just say it's not in their plans and that is that.

The Eos 7D has yet to have an update, too. D300s came out within months of the 7D...

It could simply be that Nikon and Canon aren't seeing money in advancing a pro crop body line anymore.

I am begining to suspect the same thing , maybe the camera market has shifted somewhat since 2009, judging by the recent camera releases there is a lot of excitement over "affordable"  full-frame cameras and maybe a lot more people who have been shooting with crop-sensor SLRs probably at some point will desire "moving to full-frame"  compared to say moving to a pro crop-sensor camera hence the opening up of the entry level FF market , this could mean that Canon and Nikon now see entry level FF cameras as the next level up from advanced beginner SLR`s  compared to say few years ago ...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads