$1100 difference with rebate

Started Apr 16, 2013 | Questions
Mateo Miller
Regular MemberPosts: 421Gear list
Like?
$1100 difference with rebate
Apr 16, 2013

Was a long time Nikon user, Nikkormat FT2, FM, D50, D80, D5000 (I think I'm missing a few). Really didn't like the D5000 so went old school with Pentax for awhile (MF lens on a 6MP body).

It was fun but really wanted to experience Full Frame.

About 6 months ago a used Canon 5D showed up at my local shop for $475.  I bought it and a 40mm Pancake.

Really, Really fun.  I can't believe how much easier it is to shoot with a "regular" size viewfinder.

Anyway, I have just the one lens. So not a big investment in Canon gear.

Found out I might be working in a rain forest for a few months and of course the Canon 5D isn't weather sealed.

Went to my local shop today to take a look at the Nikon D600 and the 24-120m f/4.  Very nice rig.

After about 10 mins I zoomed the lens on to a camera box at the other end of the counter.

It was a Canon 6d kit bundled with the Canon 24-105 f/4  for $2199!!!

That's $1100 cheaper than the Nikon D600 & 24-120 combo ($3299)

The Canon is on an instant rebate.

Would rather have the Nikon but I'm having a problem justifying the extra $1100.

Any rebates coming soon?

Any other suggestions?

I priced a d7000 and the 24-120 but it's the same price as the Canon 6d, and I would prefer full frame.

Mateo Miller's gear list:Mateo Miller's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D Nikon D50 Nikon D5000 Nikon D600 Nikon D7000 Nikon D80 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 (Lumix DMC-FT2)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ultimitsu
Senior MemberPosts: 5,422
Like?
Re: $1100 difference with rebate
In reply to Mateo Miller, Apr 16, 2013

Mateo Miller wrote:

Would rather have the Nikon but I'm having a problem justifying the extra $1100.

Any rebates coming soon?

Any other suggestions?

for that money go for 6D. 24-120 F4 is a rather expensive mediocre performing lens. 24-105 is very close in overall performance.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,212
Like?

Mateo Miller wrote:

Any other suggestions?

Get a D800E and a 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII. How often will you get a chance to shoot in a rainforest?

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Mateo Miller
Like?
In reply to Robin Casady, Apr 16, 2013

Mateo Miller wrote:

Any other suggestions?

Get a D800E and a 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII. How often will you get a chance to shoot in a rainforest?

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

I'm not a good enough photographer where that would make much sense.
Besides I could get a 70-200 f4 with extra money.

I'm not sure who is crazier nikon or canon.
Someone is way overpriced or underpriced.
Would prefer nikon and play with some old glass but $1100 is $1100.

Haven't upgraded my computer in 7 years either.
MacMini with a little left over for RAM

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8
AllOtherNamesTaken
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,264
Like?
A couple things...

The difference is $1200 but the D600 is A LOT more camera than that 6D.  Just have a look at the spec sheets if you need help justifying the $1200 :-).

Another thing to consider is that the Canon 24-105L is actually a F4.5 lens, not F4 as advertised, which is starting to get pretty slow, especially if you're under a canopy of a rain forest.  You may want to consider a different lens type altogether (70-200/2.8, and/or perhaps a macro).

The D600 competes much more closely with a 5DM3 than it does a 6D, so it's difficult to compare them price-wise.  The latest firmware has given the D600 AF a nice bump as well.

For a once in a lifetime trip, I wouldn't hesitate to spend more and get the best equipment for the job.  You can always sell afterwards if you need to at minimal loss.

David Hull
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,330Gear list
Like?

Mateo Miller wrote:

Was a long time Nikon user, Nikkormat FT2, FM, D50, D80, D5000 (I think I'm missing a few). Really didn't like the D5000 so went old school with Pentax for awhile (MF lens on a 6MP body).

It was fun but really wanted to experience Full Frame.

About 6 months ago a used Canon 5D showed up at my local shop for $475.  I bought it and a 40mm Pancake.

Really, Really fun.  I can't believe how much easier it is to shoot with a "regular" size viewfinder.

Anyway, I have just the one lens. So not a big investment in Canon gear.

Found out I might be working in a rain forest for a few months and of course the Canon 5D isn't weather sealed.

Went to my local shop today to take a look at the Nikon D600 and the 24-120m f/4.  Very nice rig.

After about 10 mins I zoomed the lens on to a camera box at the other end of the counter.

Any rebates coming soon?

Any other suggestions?

I priced a d7000 and the 24-120 but it's the same price as the Canon 6d, and I would prefer full frame.

I have no idea why you say "Would rather have the Nikon..." but, given that you feel that way, why not get what you want?  This is something you will use for a while, you will probably be happier in the long run knowing that you got the thing you really wanted. One way to think of it is that extra $1k is a tad over $200/yr. spread across the 5 years that you can realistically use the thing.  That said, the 6D/24-105 is a good rig as well, you might find yourself quite happy with it.  However, if it were me, I’d find a way to get the one I want, rather than be sorry I didn’t.

-- hide signature --
 David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
David Hull
Like?
Re: A couple things...
In reply to AllOtherNamesTaken, Apr 16, 2013

AllOtherNamesTaken wrote:

The difference is $1200 but the D600 is A LOT more camera than that 6D.  Just have a look at the spec sheets if you need help justifying the $1200 :-).

Another thing to consider is that the Canon 24-105L is actually a F4.5 lens, not F4 as advertised, which is starting to get pretty slow, especially if you're under a canopy of a rain forest.  You may want to consider a different lens type altogether (70-200/2.8, and/or perhaps a macro).

Right... that's why it says f4.0 on the spec sheet.

The D600 competes much more closely with a 5DM3 than it does a 6D, so it's difficult to compare them price-wise.  The latest firmware has given the D600 AF a nice bump as well.

For a once in a lifetime trip, I wouldn't hesitate to spend more and get the best equipment for the job.  You can always sell afterwards if you need to at minimal loss.

-- hide signature --
Oscarroos
Senior MemberPosts: 2,914Gear list
Like?
In reply to David Hull, Apr 16, 2013

Not sure what rain forest you "may" go to BUT most rain forests I've been to are dark and wet.  Weather sealing, high ISO, and fast lens is what you should be considering.

Oscarroos's gear list:Oscarroos's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5700 Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 +13 more
Devendra
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,570Gear list
Like?
i have literally soaked my 24-120mm in rain, snow and used in sand
In reply to Oscarroos, Apr 16, 2013

Oscarroos wrote:

Not sure what rain forest you "may" go to BUT most rain forests I've been to are dark and wet.  Weather sealing, high ISO, and fast lens is what you should be considering.

it still performs stellar on my D800E and previously on my D800.

Note that 24-120mm was being heavily rebated earlier. So was D600 back in Nov/Dec and who knows when again. Its a matter of timing and luck. As others have said D600 is more than 6D in every way.

Buying a body based on a single lens is not the brightest thing to do either either, especially for a dark rainy forest.

100%

in sand

most of this photoshoot was in soaking rain

Devendra's gear list:Devendra's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-3N
AllOtherNamesTaken
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,264
Like?
In reply to David Hull, Apr 16, 2013

David Hull wrote:

Right... that's why it says f4.0 on the spec sheet.

That lens is actually has the light transmission of a F4.5, even though it is advertised as F4.0 - doesn't matter what number they choose to put on it, it behaves as a f4.5 (T-Stop).  There is plenty of information over on the Canon forums regarding this.  It loses a lot of light compared to just about any other lens.

Mateo Miller
Like?
Re: i have literally soaked my 24-120mm in rain, snow and used in sand
In reply to Devendra, Apr 16, 2013

First of all stellar photos.  Kudos.

I guess I should have explained myself better.

Budget considerations are paramount.

The "work" I will be doing is a volunteer position so no income during my 3 month stay.

The "rain forest" is a 140 acres on one of the Hawaiian Islands.  The climate is technically rain forest but it won't be like I'm canoeing up the Amazon.

I will be doing landscaping (planting trees etc...) and will be camping on the property for about a month.  The rest of the trip I should have "housing"

So my concern for the camera is being able to handle dampness rather than Monsoon type weather though I'm sure there will be frequent storm activity.

In the short time I tested the Nikon d600 I did get the feeling it was a superior product compared to the Canon 6d.  But I think it is safe to say both cameras exceed my abilities.

I think the Nikon D7000 would be plenty of camera although I must say I have grown extremely fond of the full frame viewfinder.

I don't think the 24-120 f/4 would be wide enough on a DX body although I would like the extra "reach".  So all of a sudden I'm looking at a two lens kit which would be more expensive than the Canon 6d 24-105 combo.

Is the 24-105 optimal? No particularly on the long end on a full frame body.  But I'm having a hard enough time justifying $2200 for a new system when I won't have an income stream.

Have never used the Nikon 16-85 so perhaps I should look into that but then I'm back to DX again.  If Nikon would beef up their DX lens lineup...

But I'm on someone else's schedule and the whole thing could fall through soon.

Thanks for all your input

Sorry for the confusion about the "rain forest" and the apparent millionaire status of my OP...

D800e and a 70-200 f/2.8

Mateo

firmly in 99percent territory

ak1999
Contributing MemberPosts: 523
Like?
Hard to beat deal
In reply to Mateo Miller, Apr 17, 2013

The 6D/24-105 combo for $2200 is a very hard to beat deal.

I actually thought about buying this kit with the money allocated to buy a 24-70II but in the end I resisted the temptation and bought what I've originally planned to buy.

You can buy Canon kit first as will almost get your money back by selling later if you don't like it or when D600 deal comes through.

Only real thing I don't like about the Nikon cameras D600/D800 are the uncomfortable grips.

I eventually sold my D800 but I may get D800E later at the right price as I still kept my Nikon holy zoom lens trinity.

David Hull
Like?
In reply to Oscarroos, Apr 17, 2013

Oscarroos wrote:

I have never shot in a rain forest and probably will not any time soon. I think you are replying to the other guy, perhaps? That said tough, I wouldn't take any of this stuff into the wet I don't care what the manufacturer says about weather sealing.  None of this stuff is truly waterproof.  If you soak it long enough, water WILL end up somewhere that it shouldn't.

-- hide signature --
Glen78
Contributing MemberPosts: 649Gear list
Like?

Hi Matteo, first of all absolutely love the images you posted. Second I have the D600 & 24-120 f/4 combo and love it! The lens just produces great images and makes all the right compromises IMO in terms of FL, aperture, weight and IQ. Unfortunately the rebates have ended but you may find some new in box copies on eBay from lens flippers (people who buy a product on rebate just to sell it for a profit once the rebate expires).

Glen78's gear list:Glen78's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED +5 more
87350iroc
Junior MemberPosts: 43Gear list
Like?
In reply to David Hull, Apr 17, 2013

David Hull wrote:

Oscarroos wrote:

I have never shot in a rain forest and probably will not any time soon. I think you are replying to the other guy, perhaps? That said tough, I wouldn't take any of this stuff into the wet I don't care what the manufacturer says about weather sealing.  None of this stuff is truly waterproof.  If you soak it long enough, water WILL end up somewhere that it shouldn't.

-- hide signature --

This kind of comment seems common around here.  And I don't really get it.  Maybe its just me but I buy my gear to use.  And for me there is no better place to use good gear than on a once in a lifetime trip.  If you don't use it then, when will you?  For cousin billy's 13th birthday party?

Before my D600 I extensively used a lowly D40 and kit lenses.  I have put about 50k of images on this thing all around the world.  It has been in 10 below show storms, camping, some of the worlds tallest peaks, monsoon, deserts.  Nothing I have put it through has ever phased it.  It gets thrown in the backpack when I go hiking.  I even once set it up for a long exposure star trail photo with the camera pointed straight up and fell asleep while it was running.  When I woke up, the lens hood was filled with snow, about 2" worth.  Took the battery out, let it dry for the day and it worked like a champ.

Short of obvious abuse, I expect my gear to work.  If I can't trust it, it doesn't come along with me.

A trip to the rainforests of Hawaii would not concern me in the least.  Just take normal precautions and everything will be fine.  If your body is comfortable, you camera will be as well.  It is not as fragile as your body.

87350iroc's gear list:87350iroc's gear list
Nikon D600 Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +5 more
clarnibass
Senior MemberPosts: 1,081
Like?
In reply to AllOtherNamesTaken, Apr 17, 2013

According to DXO (which may or may not right for all I know) the T-stop of the Nikon 24-120 f/4 is actually t/4.4. However they give t/5.1 for the Canon 24-105 f/4.

Anyway, I have the D600 and messed with the 6D. I definitely prefer the D600 but don't consider it is worth (with the lens) $1,200 more or even $1,100 more for that matter. If I thought it was I would probably get a more expensive camera than either.

Either way it sounds like the Nikon price is the absolutely full price for both camera and lens without any discount or "kit" price. The Canon seems to have a "kit" price or discount.

Tord S Eriksson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,906Gear list
Like?
In reply to Oscarroos, Apr 17, 2013

Oscarroos wrote:

Indeed! Something like D600 + 85/1.8G comes to mind ;-)!

Seems Canon have had some problems getting their 6Ds out of the shops, so therefore the rebates!

Like Nikon had with the V1 ;-)!

-- hide signature --

tord (at) mindless (dot) com

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Pentax K-x Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +22 more
Tord S Eriksson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,906Gear list
Like?

Mateo Miller wrote:

Sorry for the confusion about the "rain forest" and the apparent millionaire status of my OP...

D800e and a 70-200 f/2.8

Yeah, we can all dream!

I got into D600 via the Nikon V1. I just love both, but the V1 is the one I use most:

The V1 is a camera I would bring to a minor rain forest any day ;-)!

-- hide signature --

tord (at) mindless (dot) com

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Pentax K-x Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +22 more
David Hull
Like?
In reply to 87350iroc, Apr 17, 2013

87350iroc wrote:

David Hull wrote:

Oscarroos wrote:

-- hide signature --

This kind of comment seems common around here.  And I don't really get it.  Maybe its just me but I buy my gear to use.  And for me there is no better place to use good gear than on a once in a lifetime trip.  If you don't use it then, when will you?  For cousin billy's 13th birthday party?

Before my D600 I extensively used a lowly D40 and kit lenses.  I have put about 50k of images on this thing all around the world.  It has been in 10 below show storms, camping, some of the worlds tallest peaks, monsoon, deserts.  Nothing I have put it through has ever phased it.  It gets thrown in the backpack when I go hiking.  I even once set it up for a long exposure star trail photo with the camera pointed straight up and fell asleep while it was running.  When I woke up, the lens hood was filled with snow, about 2" worth.  Took the battery out, let it dry for the day and it worked like a champ.

Short of obvious abuse, I expect my gear to work.  If I can't trust it, it doesn't come along with me.

A trip to the rainforests of Hawaii would not concern me in the least.  Just take normal precautions and everything will be fine.  If your body is comfortable, you camera will be as well.  It is not as fragile as your body.

Yep... I agree completely... take the normal precautions and you will be fine. Keep in mind that terms like "weather sealed" have no real meaning without a specification. You know the minimum EV your camera will focus at because the associate a number with that parameter same for shutter speed, battery life, etc.  However they don’t really tell you how “wet” it can get.

-- hide signature --
Mateo Miller
Like?
Good point
In reply to David Hull, Apr 17, 2013

I was doing some more research and noticed the Canon 6d is "splash and dust resistant"

Whereas the 5d MkIII is "environmentally sealed"

I still have some old pentax lenses...

maybe I just grab a used K30 and see what happens.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads