Fuji FxxxEXR Recommendations?

Started Apr 16, 2013 | Questions
WheelerDealer
Regular MemberPosts: 253Gear list
Like?
Fuji FxxxEXR Recommendations?
Apr 16, 2013

Aloha, I've been wanting a replacement for my aging F100fd for way too long. I'd like another similarly sized p&s camera, and having always loved Fuji color, I'd prefer sticking with the brand. I'm primarily a jpeg shooter in this context, so "relatively poor" raw performance isn't much of an issue.

So, briefly (please), which of the following three models offers an appreciable edge, if any?

F900EXR, F850EXR, F800EXR  (Knowing Fuji, earlier models are sometimes superior to their "upgrades" - I had an F30 that was stolen, and was really disappointed with the F100's comparative performance.)

Thanks in advance for your input...

Bruce aka WheelerDealer

-- hide signature --

Aloha!
http://picasaweb.google.com/arbywheeler

D 3 0 0 , S 5 P r o , S 3 P r o , F 1 0 0 F D , N 9 0 s , F E 2

WheelerDealer's gear list:WheelerDealer's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F900EXR Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 +6 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Fujifilm FinePix F800EXR Fujifilm FinePix F900EXR
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Photofreak7
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,703
Like?
Re: Fuji FxxxEXR Recommendations?
In reply to WheelerDealer, Apr 16, 2013

F900 looked promising enough for me to order one ... KL's comparisons also looked decent. I also just bought the XF1 so the two should be a nice pocketable combo.

-- hide signature --

Don't feed or mess with the crazy person ... just take a photo and walk away ... just walk away man!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CAcreeks
Senior MemberPosts: 6,378
Like?

WheelerDealer wrote:

F900EXR, F850EXR, F800EXR  (Knowing Fuji, earlier models are sometimes superior to their "upgrades" - I had an F30 that was stolen, and was really disappointed with the F100's comparative performance.

The F900EXR is the only one with the new on-sensor phase detect autofocus (fast in good light).

The F800EXR is similar - both have WiFi - with slower contrast detect autofocus.

The F850EXR is a stripped down F800EXR with neither Raw mode nor WiFi. I am not sure how it differs from the F750EXR, which is a stripped down F770EXR with neither Raw mode nor GPS.

Are you price sensitive? Fuji has not yet exceeded image quality of the F200EXR at base ISO 100, however the new models have a lot more interesting features, and perform better at high ISO.

nicknd99
Regular MemberPosts: 183Gear list
Like?
In reply to CAcreeks, Apr 16, 2013

I just picked up a used F770EXR from Amazon ("like new") condition for roughly $150 as a nice pocket cam.  I love my X10, and would have preferred the XF1 for its fast lens, but it was over double the price.  The reach of the 770 (et al) is pretty darn neat though.  Though the olde r770 does not have PDAF, it's focusing speed is no slouch.

nicknd99's gear list:nicknd99's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 +15 more
nicknd99
Regular MemberPosts: 183Gear list
Like?
In reply to Photofreak7, Apr 16, 2013

Photofreak7 wrote:

F900 looked promising enough for me to order one ... KL's comparisons also looked decent. I also just bought the XF1 so the two should be a nice pocketable combo.

-- hide signature --

Don't feed or mess with the crazy person ... just take a photo and walk away ... just walk away man!

I don't want to hijack this thread, but if you feel up to it, I'd love to read of your impressions of your new XF1 in a separate thread.

nicknd99's gear list:nicknd99's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 +15 more
WheelerDealer
Like?

Thanks to you who've responded to my inquiry. Price is somewhat of an issue. While the F900 is very appealing for a number of reasons, the 800 is more attractive to me, cost wise, and with fewer features, at a higher price, the F850 doesn't quite make it. Your feedback is much appreciated, thanks again.

-- hide signature --

Aloha!

Fujifilm FinePix F900EXR Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 +6 more
PPW
PPW
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?

If price is a major factor, consider the F660EXR or F770EXR,
which are available at fantastic prices right now.  They would
seem to have very little difference in image quality from the
more recent F800EXR.

-- hide signature --

- Paul

abnaki
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?

I just pulled the trigger on the 800. Give me a couple of days and I'll be able to give you an "informed opinion".

Just a bit a background for now:

I wanted a "point & shoot" as an everyday-thow-in-my-bag-walkaround. But it had to have some advanced features for times when I didn't want to lug the EOS 7D or 6D around. The main features I was looking for was optical zoom (not necessarily "superzoom" but at least 10x) and RAW capture ...  Enter the Finepix F800.

abnaki's gear list:abnaki's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +3 more
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,724Gear list
Like?
In reply to nicknd99, Apr 17, 2013

nicknd99 wrote:

I just picked up a used F770EXR from Amazon ("like new") condition for roughly $150 as a nice pocket cam.  I love my X10, and would have preferred the XF1 for its fast lens, but it was over double the price.  The reach of the 770 (et al) is pretty darn neat though.  Though the olde r770 does not have PDAF, it's focusing speed is no slouch.

Agreed ... an obvious budget option ... the one I own.

At some point, I will replace it with the F900 ... but not until I can do it for a small incremental cost ... next year I suppose.

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,724Gear list
Like?
In reply to abnaki, Apr 17, 2013

abnaki wrote:

I just pulled the trigger on the 800. Give me a couple of days and I'll be able to give you an "informed opinion".

Just a bit a background for now:

I wanted a "point & shoot" as an everyday-thow-in-my-bag-walkaround. But it had to have some advanced features for times when I didn't want to lug the EOS 7D or 6D around. The main features I was looking for was optical zoom (not necessarily "superzoom" but at least 10x) and RAW capture ...  Enter the Finepix F800.

A very nice Cam ... basically a 770 with wifi instead of gps. Wifi allows geotagging so you lose very little, but the wifi is also really clunky to use.

I hope to have time to explore that aspect of the F900 while I have it ...

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Eddaweaver
Senior MemberPosts: 2,209
Like?
In reply to WheelerDealer, Apr 18, 2013

WheelerDealer wrote:

Thanks to you who've responded to my inquiry. Price is somewhat of an issue. While the F900 is very appealing for a number of reasons, the 800 is more attractive to me, cost wise, and with fewer features, at a higher price, the F850 doesn't quite make it. Your feedback is much appreciated, thanks again.

Look at it this way, you'll probably use it for more than five years so the F900EXR would cost you about another US$15 per year more than the F800EXR.

WheelerDealer
Like?
In reply to WheelerDealer, Apr 19, 2013

Well, I bit  the bullet, and ordered an F900 from B&H today - $369.99, $30 less than I found it anywhere else. Thanks again for the feedback, everyone, and a special thanks to Eddaweaver for your well-reasoned suggestion.

In the end, I made my choice mostly because of the camera's "quick and accurate focusing capabilities," and its high pixel count monitor, surely a definite plus!

I'll share some pics when I can...

Bruce

-- hide signature --

Aloha!

John McCormack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,278Gear list
Like?
In reply to WheelerDealer, Apr 19, 2013

Enjoy your new F900. I've had mine for a few days now and am getting familiar with it before I leave tomorrow on a two week trip to Belgium and Holland. I'm mostly using Kim L's recommended settings : JPEG, M size, DR400, P mode, ISO (1600 max.), Standard color, -1/3 EV in bright light.

PS. You got a better deal on the price than I did

WheelerDealer wrote:

Well, I bit  the bullet, and ordered an F900 from B&H today - $369.99, $30 less than I found it anywhere else. Thanks again for the feedback, everyone, and a special thanks to Eddaweaver for your well-reasoned suggestion.

In the end, I made my choice mostly because of the camera's "quick and accurate focusing capabilities," and its high pixel count monitor, surely a definite plus!

I'll share some pics when I can...

Bruce

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads