RX1 Grip: 3S-KangRinpoche first impressions

Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions
tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,990Gear list
Like?
RX1 Grip: 3S-KangRinpoche first impressions
Apr 15, 2013

I just received the grip/baseplate today, and have the following observations:

  • Light
  • Well made
  • Very attractive
  • Comfortable as a grip
  • A perfect match for the SIRUI T-025 Tripod
  • Very easy to attach or remove without tools

I haven't tried the RRS alternative, which I am sure offers some significant advantages as a tripod mount, but I'm finding this grip to be pretty darn perfect. The only thing it doesn't do is add enough height for the pinky finger to grip as well, but then that would add an awful lot of height to what is designed to be as small as possible.

Pictures to  follow.

 tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
aburman
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
Re: RX1 Grip: 3S-KangRinpoche first impressions
In reply to tesilab, Apr 15, 2013

Also have been using this grip and agree completely. Unobtrusive and very well made. Camera still fits nicely in my Hadley pouch. A completely different handling experience.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Michael Kaufman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,603Gear list
Like?
Re: RX1 Grip: 3S-KangRinpoche first impressions
In reply to tesilab, Apr 16, 2013

tesilab wrote:

I just received the grip/baseplate today, and have the following observations:

Thanks for the info.  Can I ask you how long it took to arrive? I have a trip coming up in 3 weeks, and I am wondering what the chances are that it will arrive on time.

 Michael Kaufman's gear list:Michael Kaufman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
teseg
Senior MemberPosts: 2,048Gear list
Like?
Re: RX1 Grip: 3S-KangRinpoche first impressions
In reply to tesilab, Apr 16, 2013

Appreciate the quick critique.  I do miss the "handle" from my 5N.  I'm still tempted by the promised Ulysses case,  but this grip is real tempting for me, more so than the RRS grip as it appears smaller and lighter in total.  What to do....?

 teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,893Gear list
Like?
Re: RX1 Grip: 3S-KangRinpoche first impressions
In reply to Michael Kaufman, Apr 16, 2013

Michael Kaufman wrote:

tesilab wrote:

I just received the grip/baseplate today, and have the following observations:

Thanks for the info.  Can I ask you how long it took to arrive? I have a trip coming up in 3 weeks, and I am wondering what the chances are that it will arrive on time.

Mine arrived in Chicago for 9 days.

You read my previous post.

 miro3's gear list:miro3's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Michael Kaufman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,603Gear list
Like?
Re: RX1 Grip: 3S-KangRinpoche first impressions
In reply to miro3, Apr 16, 2013

Mine arrived in Chicago for 9 days.

You read my previous post.

I did. I was trying to find out if you had typical results, or if your grip had shown up especially quickly.

I paid for mine on Saturday, and I haven' gotten a shipping notice yet.

 Michael Kaufman's gear list:Michael Kaufman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,990Gear list
Like?
Re: RX1 Grip: 3S-KangRinpoche first impressions
In reply to Michael Kaufman, Apr 16, 2013

I ordered it on April 2nd. Received it on April 15th. Your mileage may vary. They provide shipping estimates that are even more conservative, and a tracking number which won't say much from between the time the package is first shipped and the time it arrives at a port in the destination country.

 tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,990Gear list
Like?
Photos and followup comments
In reply to tesilab, Apr 16, 2013

Front view. The baseplate transverse mounts on the tripod, allowing it to be flush with the camera front and back.

Battery and SD card access are unimpeded, even when mounted on the Sirui T-025 tripod.

Shooting one handed. The shutter release is a tad awkward.

I have small hands. Basically I had two choices in how to hold the camera, either a "high grip" (with second finger over the top and pinky on the grip) or a "low grip" (pinky curls underneath the grip). The high grip is a little awkward with the shutter release (note I don't use the finger tip, due to the soft release). The low grip would practically require triggering the shutter with my thumb, which could actually work.

 tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
GTItraveler
Regular MemberPosts: 248Gear list
Like?
Re: Photos and followup comments
In reply to tesilab, Apr 16, 2013

tesilab: a few questions:

1. How is the weight with this grip? How much overall weight does it add to the camera?

2. How is the balance holding the camera?

3. Will the camera stand up without falling over when sitting on a table? It looks like grip base and tripod mount are at even level.

TIA

Bruce

 GTItraveler's gear list:GTItraveler's gear list
Sony RX1 Ricoh GR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
teseg
Senior MemberPosts: 2,048Gear list
Like?
Re: Photos and followup comments
In reply to tesilab, Apr 16, 2013

tesilab wrote:

. The high grip is a little awkward with the shutter release (note I don't use the finger tip, due to the soft release). The low grip would practically require triggering the shutter with my thumb, which could actually work.

tesilab, I know your comments above are for a 1 handed grip, but how is that different than 2 handed?  Same issues?

 teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,990Gear list
Like?
Re: Photos and followup comments
In reply to teseg, Apr 16, 2013

teseg wrote:

tesilab wrote:

. The high grip is a little awkward with the shutter release (note I don't use the finger tip, due to the soft release). The low grip would practically require triggering the shutter with my thumb, which could actually work.

tesilab, I know your comments above are for a 1 handed grip, but how is that different than 2 handed?  Same issues?

First off, ultimately I don't think it is an issue. There is more than one way to hold it with this grip and I will settle into something comfortable--it just won't be the same as holding it without a grip, which had different issues.

If by two handed grip you simply mean adding the left hand for focusing, aperture adjustment, and stability: it would only make a difference if you were to rely on your left hand for primary support, and lighten up on the grip, which I frankly did not consider, since I think of the grip as something one uses to both grasp *and* shoot.

I don't think I'm taking it off my camera, unless I should be tempted by something both more practical and aesthetic.

 tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Michael Kaufman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,603Gear list
Like?
Re: RX1 Grip: 3S-KangRinpoche first impressions
In reply to tesilab, Apr 16, 2013

tesilab wrote:

I ordered it on April 2nd. Received it on April 15th.

Thanks for the update. I got my shipping notice late last night. I'm not leaving until May 10th, so I should be ok.

 Michael Kaufman's gear list:Michael Kaufman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,990Gear list
Like?
Re: Photos and followup comments
In reply to GTItraveler, Apr 16, 2013

GTItraveler wrote:

tesilab: a few questions:

1. How is the weight with this grip? How much overall weight does it add to the camera?

Their description says 75 grams.

2. How is the balance holding the camera?

Very good. And the finish is superb, though mine came with a small (finished!) dent.

3. Will the camera stand up without falling over when sitting on a table? It looks like grip base and tripod mount are at even level.

TIA

Bruce

Yes. It is a very beautiful design. It stands beautifully on a table. The base is also flush front and back with the camera, they can do this since the arca type bevels are transverse, rather than front/back. This led to a concern that, depending on the head, it might be inconvenient to mount/unmount. It works perfectly with the head on my Sirui tripod, which I highly recommend. They look like they were made for each other.

It is a little odd that the grip base does not extend the full width of the camera, but it's a pretty minor quibble.

 tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
becasabot
Regular MemberPosts: 384
Like?
Re: RX1 Grip: 3S-KangRinpoche first impressions
In reply to teseg, Apr 16, 2013

teseg wrote:

Appreciate the quick critique.  I do miss the "handle" from my 5N.  I'm still tempted by the promised Ulysses case,  but this grip is real tempting for me, more so than the RRS grip as it appears smaller and lighter in total.  What to do....?

I think in the same manner. It looks tempting, however I would prefer the base to extend fuly and I want to protect the camera from small dents and marks so I intend to wait for the Ulysses case which I liked very much so far. I will wait a bit more I think.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
teseg
Senior MemberPosts: 2,048Gear list
Like?
Re: Photos and followup comments
In reply to tesilab, Apr 18, 2013

tesilab wrote:

teseg wrote:

tesilab wrote:

. The high grip is a little awkward with the shutter release (note I don't use the finger tip, due to the soft release). The low grip would practically require triggering the shutter with my thumb, which could actually work.

tesilab, I know your comments above are for a 1 handed grip, but how is that different than 2 handed?  Same issues?

First off, ultimately I don't think it is an issue. There is more than one way to hold it with this grip and I will settle into something comfortable--it just won't be the same as holding it without a grip, which had different issues.

If by two handed grip you simply mean adding the left hand for focusing, aperture adjustment, and stability: it would only make a difference if you were to rely on your left hand for primary support, and lighten up on the grip, which I frankly did not consider, since I think of the grip as something one uses to both grasp *and* shoot.

I don't think I'm taking it off my camera, unless I should be tempted by something both more practical and aesthetic.

Thanks tesilab.  So, to summarize all your comments (I think):

  • It looks great on the RX1
  • High quality
  • Very functional
  • Relatively small and light
  • Certainly adds to the ergonomics of the camera rather than not using
  • Fits well with your tripod
  • Does not quite "fit like a glove" relative to positioning your finger for the shutter release

And yes, I should not have said two-handed grip, rather  having the second hand in use for shooting, which adds further stabilization which allows you to not grip the grip so tightly vs. a use true 1 handed P&S style (which I would not think is common for this camera).

My comment was in response to your picture description that said "shooting 1 handed, the shutter release is a tad awkward", and then you went on to describe what I quoted of you above.

Anyway, still of great interest to me.

 teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
suey11
Junior MemberPosts: 25
Like?
Re: Photos and followup comments
In reply to teseg, May 2, 2013

I've just received the same grip comes in a nice velvety bag.
Extremely light but has just transformed the feel of the camera totally, I should add for the better.
Much more comfortable to hold and feels like a proper camera and just a more pleasing experience shooting with it in place.
I was a bit apprehensive as I didn't want to add any extra bulk or weight but I'm very very pleased.

That's my two pennies worth.
Hope it helps others.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,990Gear list
Like?
Re: Photos and followup comments
In reply to suey11, May 2, 2013

Agreed. I wish I could edit my original remarks, I'm finding it to be a fantastic accessory, well made, well designed, sleek, balanced, lightweight, and adding very little bulk.

Now someone would just engineer a battery to fit in the hollow handle.

 tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Michael Kaufman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,603Gear list
Like?
Re: Photos and followup comments
In reply to suey11, May 2, 2013

Glad to hear it. I just checked my tracking number, and mine is going to be delivered today as well. I'll post my impressions as soon as I try it out.

 Michael Kaufman's gear list:Michael Kaufman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Michael Kaufman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,603Gear list
Like?
Thank You tesilab and miro
In reply to tesilab, May 2, 2013

Just got my grip today. Fantastic addition. I plan to leave it on almost all the time.

Thank you to both of you guys for letting me know about it.

 Michael Kaufman's gear list:Michael Kaufman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,990Gear list
Like?
Re: Thank You tesilab and miro
In reply to Michael Kaufman, May 2, 2013

bevakasha,  ve'hatzlocha rabba.

 tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads