Panasonic GH3 review published

Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions
Richard Butler
dpreview AdminPosts: 1,970
Like?
Re: Review inconsistency: Viewfinder technology
In reply to thinkfat, Apr 16, 2013

You're right, of course.

Panasonic has always used 'dot equivalent' to denote field sequential in the past, so I think this caused some confusion when I asked about the new panel.

I've corrected the review - it would certainly explain why I didn't notice any tearing.

Richard - dpreview.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 17,898Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic GH3 review
In reply to Dr_Jon, Apr 16, 2013

Dr_Jon wrote:

Flash sync speed (if the curtain could move over the sensor reliably at 1/200 of a sec they would have specified that not 1/160) and the number of rows.

Yes, I realized that's where you got your time estimate from. It wasn't that estimate per se I was wondering about. It was rather the point you make below.

On the CPU side it's a pain getting a processor to address stuff (row resets) and do reliable and consistent timing at those speeds (although I know no details of the working of the Venus engine). Interrupts can be a tricky and dedicating a CPU to nothing else is unlikely to be an option when something exciting like taking a photo is happening (especially in an existing design). You ideally want it done on-sensor or at least having a dedicated timer in the CPU connected up to some circuitry on the sensor to make it easier. IMHO of course.

Hard to tell without knowing more. Did you check whether the patent application itself says anything more about this (i.e. whether the processing required to sync takes place on the sensor and the external CPU just issues a general command to sync in this or that fashion)? So far, I've just had a quick look at it.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
ARobotsky
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: Good review with one reservation
In reply to sgoldswo, Apr 16, 2013

I have no problems with the EVF either and I wear glasses. I must admit that the first one I bought which was one of the first examples released in our region had an edge smearing problem. The one I own presently has no problems whatsoever. With the snap-in focus aid I've never found focusing easier or more reliable.

I find this review somewhat baffling and hope it doesn't put off prospective buyers with the final score and quotes such as these:

"By foregoing the GH2's size advantage, ... And, of course, it also has to stand up to its Micro Four Thirds peers, such as the Olympus OM-D E-M5 and it simply doesn't have the JPEGs or outright charisma to do that, either."

The GH3 is far more ergonomic, well balanced and more logically designed for use in a professional environment than many cameras costing thousands of dollars more. Compared with the d7100 or 6d armed with a typical 24-70 or 70-200 zoom the GH3 is featherweight. In real world use the IQ is literally indistinguishable from the OMD and gives superb files with lots of latitude for post processing. I recommend you do a blind test with average subjects showing them high-quality prints from both cameras and note how often they point to the "better" print. As for "charisma", well my GH3 charms the clothes off all the models I work with!

I applaud the video portion of this review and find it well balanced with good examples of both strengths and weaknesses. Based on my own production experience it seems evident that the reviewer has deep first hand knowledge of the tools he is reviewing.

The way I see it the GH3 gives you 20% less still image quality than you'd get with a 5Dmkiii, it gives you 10% more video image quality than you'd get with the 5Dmkiii and 40% more video usability and functionality than most video DSLRs for 50% less money. The camera definitely has some short comings (as do all the others) but all things considered it deserves a better score in my books.

Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,379Gear list
Like?
Re: Anway you look at it
In reply to exdeejjjaaaa, Apr 16, 2013

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

Jorginho wrote:

or through it. The EVF is a failure. You cannothave an EVF that causes a lot of people to have problems with it.

we can count 3-4 people (same ones) on dpreview... that is not a huge number of it.

Do you count Richard Butler of DPR then, amongst your hysterical list of co-conspirators that you think are on an anti-GH3 crusade? Are you blind to the fact that other published reviews have noted EVF deficiencies?

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansell Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A57 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
gregs4163
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?
Re: Good review with one reservation
In reply to ARobotsky, Apr 16, 2013

I'm in your camp, I couldn't say it any better myself kudos to you!

gregs4163's gear list:gregs4163's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +8 more
exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,768Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marco Cinnirella, Apr 16, 2013

Marco Cinnirella wrote:

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

Jorginho wrote:

or through it. The EVF is a failure. You cannothave an EVF that causes a lot of people to have problems with it.

we can count 3-4 people (same ones) on dpreview... that is not a huge number of it.

Do you count Richard Butler of DPR then, amongst your hysterical list of co-conspirators that you think are on an anti-GH3 crusade? Are you blind to the fact that other published reviews have noted EVF deficiencies?

and I do... you, tgutgu and Butler... incidentally all w/ not perfect eyesight and I do agree that if you have certain issues w/ your vision then GH3 EVF might not be for you...

PS: what other reviews ?

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +23 more
exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,768Gear list
Like?
In reply to Anders W, Apr 16, 2013

Anders W wrote:

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Dr_Jon wrote:

I'd rather they had licensed Canon's Electronic First Curtain Shutter patents and used that, but also needs the sensor designed to do it so non-trivial. (You have to be able to enable the rows at exactly the speed the second curtain will pass over them.)

Recent NEX models have an electronic first curtain too. Certainly valuable I would think but I don't think it's complicated. It's just a matter of making the sensor capable of resetting quickly enough, which it seems both Canon and Sony can do

and w/ this 16mp sensor being from Sony Semiconductor....

they should have asked Sony to include an electronic first curtain.

well may it is there... it is like Sigma and Foveon sensor... it had hardware binning done in sensor (at least in pre 15x3 generation), but Sigma did not use it for any purposes because of the camera design/implementation limitations... so may be it is there, but neither Olympus nor Panasonic are not using that (so far)... saving for a future model

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +23 more
gregs4163
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

Marco Cinnirella wrote:

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

Jorginho wrote:

and I do... you, tgutgu and Butler... incidentally all w/ not perfect eyesight and I do agree that if you have certain issues w/ your vision then GH3 EVF might not be for you...

PS: what other reviews ?

Right, I've read at least 3 other reviews that praise the EVF with no mention of issues!

gregs4163's gear list:gregs4163's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +8 more
Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,158Gear list
Like?
There is more than dpreview

deejjjaaaa wrote:

Jorginho wrote:

Blogger Ming Thein noted the same in his take on the GH3. If you search for it you'll find a lot of people having problem with the smearing and to a lesser extend the colours too. That is why I said this is a problem in my book that can be said to be a failure. It is unacceptable and seems even worse than the low refresh rtate on the Fuji XE1 EVF.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Dr_Jon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,453Gear list
Like?
In reply to Anders W, Apr 16, 2013

Here's the final patent, with diagrams:

http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US7918616

These may also be of interest:

http://www.patentbuddy.com/Patent/7918616
http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20080304820

Don't see any competing ones here:

http://www.faqs.org/patents/class/000510399

BTW I've written Patents but still don't like reading them... The first one I did was just me writing it and bouncing it off a guy at the Patent Office who would suggest appropriate legal terms I should change the simple bits to ("is operable to" being my least favorite). I believe it's still on the wall in the boardroom at my old firm, even though they went bust last year.

I'd be surprised if the Patent was that explicit about where the control unit was, as that would make it easier for people to work around it. At the very least they would have claims for on and off sensor control hardware if they did specify it. I'm out of time for today though, so the above will have to last people for a while...

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +24 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads