Panasonic GH3 review published

Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions
gregs4163
Regular MemberPosts: 219Gear list
Like?
Re: About the EVF.
In reply to gregs4163, Apr 16, 2013

Actually I went back and looked at the final scores for both the GH2 & GH3 and under the Ergonomics & Handling category they scored the GH2 higher????? doesn't that contradict what they were saying throughout the review????

gregs4163's gear list:gregs4163's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,494
Like?
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Apr 16, 2013

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Is it possible that some cameras have faulty EVF's and others not ?

I'm still thinking that my theory about improperly assembled or reversed eyepieces on some of the early GH3s is plausible...

Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,490Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sean Nelson, Apr 16, 2013

Sean Nelson wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

I'm still thinking that my theory about improperly assembled or reversed eyepieces on some of the early GH3s is plausible...

But it seems highly unlikely that Panasonic would send DPR a defective GH3 Sean - if Panasonic have quietly changed the GH3 EVF optics in later batches surely it would have made sense for them to ensure that DPR had a GH3 for testing that is from the "good" batch ?!

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansell Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +1 more
tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,292Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic GH3 review published
In reply to rrr_hhh, Apr 16, 2013

rrr_hhh wrote:

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

sea_dragon wrote:

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

indeed, because Butler wears glasses... the issue is his eyesight, for people w/ 20/20 there is no problem.

PS: here is a shot of what people w/ normal eyesight see in GH3 viewfinder - a raw file = https://www.box.com/s/6o1cnxna3qbxf24swhym ... you are welcome to produce one that that shows the effect described and we can then check what was the angle and distanc from eye to viewfinder.

Here we go with the raw file theory again which makes no sense.

actually it does because the focal of the lens used is close to the normal eyesight and note - I actually produce something besides hearsay and JPG files that clearly showed that shot was taken at a significant distance from EVF

You're in complete denial... the review clearly states that the problem was noticeable and then made worse by wearing glasses.

again - reviewer has issues w/ his eyesight, so no wonder that he has issues w/ viewfinder w/o his glasses... if you want to state that GH3 viewfinder was not created for people w/ such issues then I have nothing to say really, but for people w/ normal eyesight there are no issues at all (see the raw file which shows what 20/20 eyesight sees).

Have a look at this statistic of the proportion of people needing correcting glasses :

75% of the Americans need some form of correcting lenses and 65% uses glasses. Of course, not all will wear their glasses to look in the VF. Still a pretty high group will need glasses to use a camera. So yes it is a disability, but a light and frequent one, which needs consideration from cameras manufacturers and reviewers, no need to be contemptuous toward them.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

Yes. And the main thing is that all other view finders work just fine, only the GH3 finder is strange. That cannot be attributed to the users, but to a flawed optical design.

In my view, Panasonic tried to put a 16:9 aspect ratio view finder in a small as possible case, and they went to far on that.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +26 more
tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,292Gear list
Like?

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

I have used two GH3, one for a few hours, and other for a full day, they were different cameras, and I have not found any issues with the EVF.

Is not the EVF made by Epson ?

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

If so, there must be a huge number of faulty GH3 samples, because I haven't found one single one, witch had a good finder with no issues. I have looked now at 8 GH3 samples during the last three months at various dealers.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +26 more
Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,431Gear list
Like?

Scores are relative. While Gh2 was at least the best in the (m)43 segemnt, now it is not. It is even slightly behind OMD if we look at all parameters. I even have some trouble seeing the difference with my GH2, although the studiosamples do not allow to detect the DR difference which is the biggest difference of course.

About the ergonomics: I have handheld theGH3 with the14-140 and Idid not like it better than my GH2 for instance. The grip is fine, but the weight is an ergonomic downside to me.

Aleo's remarks on the EVF and it not being constant is more interesting to me.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Dr_Jon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,552Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic GH3 review
In reply to amtberg, Apr 16, 2013

I'd rather they had licensed Canon's Electronic First Curtain Shutter patents and used that, but also needs the sensor designed to do it so non-trivial. (You have to be able to enable the rows at exactly the speed the second curtain will pass over them.)

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +25 more
Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,431Gear list
Like?
Anway you look at it
In reply to Marco Cinnirella, Apr 16, 2013

or through it. The EVF is a failure. You cannothave an EVF that causes a lot of people to have problems with it. So even if there are more people who do not have a problem, this is unacceptable I think.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Dr_Jon
Like?

As i said recently it's not great but not a deal-breaker for me. I tried two in shops and bought one from a third shop and they all like you to keep your eye centred quite accurately. Also there is an interesting difference between using peripheral vision and actually looking at various parts of the viewfinder.
I'm personally unconvinced it is down to eye defects as I've used a lot of EVFs over the years and never seen this before, including my previous Panasonic one, plus my vision is pretty good (not 20/20 though).
I do think it's the optics not the display - I found the E-M5 to be great for example, but the GH3 to be a significant step up in everything except EVF and weight (for me that is).
Since several professional reviewers and a bunch of people here agree with me I don't think we're imagining it.

**** However I will say it does seem to be critical on the diopter adjustment, so I wonder if some people have a setting that is perfect for them and others lose out between stops due to it being hyper-critical. I would say mess with this a bit if you have a problem. ****

BTW it doesn't worry me when shooting, nor the fact I haven't got the colours accurate enough yet, but would have been nice to have been better in the first place (e.g. like the already mentioned E-M5).

Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +25 more
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 18,756Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dr_Jon, Apr 16, 2013

Dr_Jon wrote:

I'd rather they had licensed Canon's Electronic First Curtain Shutter patents and used that, but also needs the sensor designed to do it so non-trivial. (You have to be able to enable the rows at exactly the speed the second curtain will pass over them.)

Recent NEX models have an electronic first curtain too. Certainly valuable I would think but I don't think it's complicated. It's just a matter of making the sensor capable of resetting quickly enough, which it seems both Canon and Sony can do, perhaps in different ways. If the hardware can do it quickly enough, it's not much of a problem to program it so that the speed matches that of the second curtain.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +21 more
gregs4163
Like?
In reply to Dr_Jon, Apr 16, 2013

I agree with you about the diopter adjustment it took me a little while to dial in the correct setting for me, the diopter adjustment has quite a bit more adjustment range than my G2 does. I'm thinking the same as you that a lot of people aren't taking the time or knowing the diopter has that much range and aren't adjusting it right!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +10 more
gregs4163
Like?
In reply to Jorginho, Apr 16, 2013

I don't agree but everything is subjective, my point is they praise the GH3's updated ergonomics throughout the review then contradict themselves in the final score? IMO the GH3 is SO!! much easier to hold and operate then the previous models (esp with the grip attached)

PhotoKhan
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,220
Like?
Image quality
In reply to Richard Butler, Apr 16, 2013

Mushy definition. Mute and/or odd colors. Crunched contrast.

That's what I see in the samples gallery...Didn't know this could be done at this time in digital camera development history.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)
-------------------------------------------------

gregs4163
Like?
Re: Panasonic GH3 review published
In reply to PC Wheeler, Apr 16, 2013

PC Wheeler wrote:

sea_dragon wrote:

"However, we found the viewfinder optics to be disappointing - it's difficult to ever see the whole panel and the corners are fuzzy unless you look straight at them (a problem that gets even worse if you wear glasses). "

Oddly enough, I wear glasses and find the GH3's EVF to be the best I've used -- including a couple of Sony Alphas and a GH2. It gives me no trouble at all.

-- hide signature --

Phil

I agree with you!! I can not understand what all the complaining is about???

Dr_Jon
Like?

Though even after that for me the problem hasn't gone away, just got somewhat better. (On my previous Panasonic there were probably 2-3 clicks that were hard to tell any difference between, made it simple to adjust after getting knocked, not so true on the GH3, well for me anyway.)

Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,490Gear list
Like?

gregs4163 wrote:

Actually I went back and looked at the final scores for both the GH2 & GH3 and under the Ergonomics & Handling category they scored the GH2 higher????? doesn't that contradict what they were saying throughout the review????

Yes a bit, the GH3 is larger but ergonomics are better.

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Dr_Jon
Like?
In reply to Anders W, Apr 16, 2013

Which is actually more annoying in some ways as Sony did a deal with Canon and Panasonic didn't... Still that's the way of things... (I suspect Sony had something Canon wanted Patent-wise.)

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: About the EVF. / And what is strange.
In reply to Jorginho, Apr 16, 2013

Jorginho wrote:

Scores are relative. While Gh2 was at least the best in the (m)43 segemnt, now it is not. It is even slightly behind OMD if we look at all parameters. I even have some trouble seeing the difference with my GH2, although the studiosamples do not allow to detect the DR difference which is the biggest difference of course.

About the ergonomics: I have handheld theGH3 with the14-140 and Idid not like it better than my GH2 for instance. The grip is fine, but the weight is an ergonomic downside to me.

Aleo's remarks on the EVF and it not being constant is more interesting to me.

What is strange is that the two GH3 I have tested, have the same EVF performance, I wonder really if there is some series that have a faulty EVF. If so Panasonic should replace them.

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
In reply to Sean Nelson, Apr 16, 2013

Sean Nelson wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Yes maybe it is that, Dpreview should ask that to Panasonic and ask for another camera to test.,

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
In reply to tgutgu, Apr 16, 2013

tgutgu wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

I have used two GH3, one for a few hours, and other for a full day, they were different cameras, and I have not found any issues with the EVF.

Is not the EVF made by Epson ?

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

If so, there must be a huge number of faulty GH3 samples, because I haven't found one single one, witch had a good finder with no issues. I have looked now at 8 GH3 samples during the last three months at various dealers.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

Maybe it is the time they were manufactured, but the first GH3 I have seen it was not even a final product.

-- hide signature --

Aleo Photo Site

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads