Panasonic GH3 review published

Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions
PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,886Gear list
Like?
Re: Very nice job
In reply to Bob Meyer, Apr 16, 2013

Bob Meyer wrote:

If the ergos and menus of the OM-D didn't suck so bad, it would be the ultimate mirrorless camera. Unfortunately, for me at least, the design of the camera interferes with my enjoyment of photography. Using it becomes a struggle, rather than a joy.

Yeah, me too. I'd like to like the Olys, since they do make great jpegs. But I find using the camera a pain. So I have the GH3 and love using it. I wouldn't trade my lowly (and really quite good!) GX1 for an OM-D.

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
James Benet
Regular MemberPosts: 330
Like?
Re: Panasonic GH3 review published
In reply to Richard Butler, Apr 16, 2013

Great review, I like that you added the EOS HD video component.  Nothing like adding an opinion on video that is informed and from someone who uses the gear for motion imaging.

I still think the GH3 by having more moire & Aliasing is a step backwards from the GH2 when it comes to video quality. Sure it has less noise and a little bit more DR but since aliasing is a big deal I just cant rely on it as a rock solid image.

-- hide signature --

Canon 100mm 2.8 USM Macro, Canon 70-300 f4-5.6 IS Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC, Tamron 1.4x & 2.0 Teleconverters Canon Speedlite 580EX II

Pete Berry
Senior MemberPosts: 2,139
Like?

R Butler wrote:

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

Anders W wrote:

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

tgutgu wrote:

Thanks for the good review. You have confirmed my concerns about the view finder, which is indeed disappointing for a flagship camera.

it does not confirm you allegations... it just says that visually impaired people like you (those who need to wear glasses ) do not see all the image sharp - "you'll rarely see the whole screen as sharp if you wear glasses"... you were alleging that everybody doesn't... just compare what is written in review w/ your previous musings.

So here is what is actually written in the review for comparison with what you say is written (and not):

However, we found the viewfinder optics to be disappointing - it's difficult to ever see the whole panel

indeed, because Butler wears glasses... the issue is his eyesight, for people w/ 20/20 there is no problem.

I can't believe I didn't ask people in the office who don't wear glasses to check whether they still had problems.

Oh, hang on, I did. Maybe that's what gave me confidence to state that it is a problem (and a bigger one for glasses wearers).

Richard - dpreview.com

As a fellow glasses wearer who found my EVF unsmeared but restricted in view of 4:3 corners and 16:9 edges (as well as disappointingly smaller and less sharp than my GH2's 4:3 view), I simply removed the rubber/plastic EVF surround and got a significantly better view - without any eyeglass damage so far.

PB

Richard Butler
dpreview AdminPosts: 1,997
Like?
Re: Andrew Reid's review is also up
In reply to MichaelKJ, Apr 16, 2013

Not at all - it's linked from the video pages.

amtberg
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,409
Like?
In reply to James Benet, Apr 16, 2013

James Benet wrote:

Great review, I like that you added the EOS HD video component.  Nothing like adding an opinion on video that is informed and from someone who uses the gear for motion imaging.

I still think the GH3 by having more moire & Aliasing is a step backwards from the GH2 when it comes to video quality. Sure it has less noise and a little bit more DR but since aliasing is a big deal I just cant rely on it as a rock solid image.

-- hide signature --

Canon 100mm 2.8 USM Macro, Canon 70-300 f4-5.6 IS Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC, Tamron 1.4x & 2.0 Teleconverters Canon Speedlite 580EX II

I was a bit on the fence at first but after more time with the camera I've concluded that the GH3 is a good step up from the GH2 in terms of video performance.  To me the improvement in dynamic range and high ISO more than offsets the somewhat greater moire.  The close-to-two-stop DR gain is huge when dealing with 8 bit files.

agachart
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?
Re: Panasonic GH3 review
In reply to exdeejjjaaaa, Apr 16, 2013

i saw raw and jpg GH2 better than GH3 on high-ISO, what about test?

look at alphabet line and curve 

agachart
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?
In reply to agachart, Apr 16, 2013

light on coin image so dim but OM-D are GH2 are brighter, i'm so dizzy.

tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,279Gear list
Like?

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

Anders W wrote:

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

tgutgu wrote:

Thanks for the good review. You have confirmed my concerns about the view finder, which is indeed disappointing for a flagship camera.

it does not confirm you allegations... it just says that visually impaired people like you (those who need to wear glasses ) do not see all the image sharp - "you'll rarely see the whole screen as sharp if you wear glasses"... you were alleging that everybody doesn't... just compare what is written in review w/ your previous musings.

So here is what is actually written in the review for comparison with what you say is written (and not):

However, we found the viewfinder optics to be disappointing - it's difficult to ever see the whole panel

indeed, because Butler wears glasses... the issue is his eyesight, for people w/ 20/20 there is no problem.

PS: here is a shot of what people w/ normal eyesight see in GH3 viewfinder - a raw file = https://www.box.com/s/6o1cnxna3qbxf24swhym ... you are welcome to produce one that that shows the effect described and we can then check what was the angle and distanc from eye to viewfinder.

You don't get it. So far, there is no problem with any other EVF except the one build into the GH3. I used EVFs form three Panasonic m4/3 cameras - far better no issues. The problem is not the people's eye sight, it is the design of the finder optics. A camera manufacturer should design a finder so that the vast majority of users won't have a problem with it. The GH3 is the only camera, which shows problems, the sight through the E-M5 finder is nearly perfect, the one of the A99 excellent. The latter should have been the aim for Panasonic.

The problem is not only the edge sharpness but also the less detailed view, something rarely reported. Just compare directly with the E-M5.

You claim that every user, which has problems with the GH3 finder, as eye sight problems (unbearable for the finder). You put the burden of proper engineering to the user. Yes, I wear glasses for reading since one year, but my eyes do not have unusual deficiencies for my age. If it would be a problem with my eye sight, most EVFs should not work for me, but the GH3 finder is the only one. Strange, isn't it? Certainly my fault, I know.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +26 more
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,534Gear list
Like?

I agree with you, eeddeejjiiiaa, because you are absolutely right that the GH3 is the better camera for people who do not wear glasses and who have big strong hands and do not mind a bigger and heavier camera and can hold it rock steady even with non-OIS lenses and who shoot RAW all the time and who really like to shoot nice movies and who cannot get used to a menu system that is different and not intuitive.

rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,919Gear list
Like?

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

luisflorit wrote:

Alexis D wrote:

Thanks, Richard.

I think the review is confirming what most have expected. Great to have another flagship choice in M43.  I believe the GH3 and the E-M5 will be compared and debated everyday on this forum for the next 3 months.  

Here's my take:

GH3 - better handling, better ergonomics (dials and buttons), fully articulated LCD, the best video around and the best hybrid, automatic CA correction

E-M5 - smaller, lighter, cheaper, better EVF, better JPEG (colour and noise), and the best IBIS around (stabilsing any lens that is mounted on it)

Just to add something that for me is important:

E-M5: 1/250s of flash sync vs. 1/160s. WHY Pany??

the situation is that you really don't have 1/250 w/ EM5 all the time w/ all flashes.

Yes, but if you need it and get the right flash for it, you can have it.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,478Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic GH3 review published / Thank you. No text.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,340Gear list
Like?
Fully agree, a very good review to help people decide.
In reply to TrapperJohn, Apr 16, 2013

Especially as people consider the GH3 and E-M5 to be direct competitors it is now clear that when you want the best video with still good stills you should get the GH3 and when you want the best stills camera with still good video you should get the E-M5.

It takes many pages of review and charts to make such a simple message clear, but it's a job very well done.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
rrr_hhh
Like?
In reply to Pete Berry, Apr 16, 2013

Pete Berry wrote:

R Butler wrote:

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

Anders W wrote:

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

tgutgu wrote:

I can't believe I didn't ask people in the office who don't wear glasses to check whether they still had problems.

Oh, hang on, I did. Maybe that's what gave me confidence to state that it is a problem (and a bigger one for glasses wearers).

Richard - dpreview.com

As a fellow glasses wearer who found my EVF unsmeared but restricted in view of 4:3 corners and 16:9 edges (as well as disappointingly smaller and less sharp than my GH2's 4:3 view), I simply removed the rubber/plastic EVF surround and got a significantly better view - without any eyeglass damage so far.

Yes you can do that, but in situation where the sun is coming from the side, you will get stray light on he VF. By contrast I got the bigger eyecup for the E-M5 and the image I see in the VF is perfect and no sidelights can disturb me.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

Sony Alpha 7R
rrr_hhh
Like?

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

sea_dragon wrote:

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

PS: here is a shot of what people w/ normal eyesight see in GH3 viewfinder - a raw file = https://www.box.com/s/6o1cnxna3qbxf24swhym ... you are welcome to produce one that that shows the effect described and we can then check what was the angle and distanc from eye to viewfinder.

Here we go with the raw file theory again which makes no sense.

actually it does because the focal of the lens used is close to the normal eyesight and note - I actually produce something besides hearsay and JPG files that clearly showed that shot was taken at a significant distance from EVF

You're in complete denial... the review clearly states that the problem was noticeable and then made worse by wearing glasses.

again - reviewer has issues w/ his eyesight, so no wonder that he has issues w/ viewfinder w/o his glasses... if you want to state that GH3 viewfinder was not created for people w/ such issues then I have nothing to say really, but for people w/ normal eyesight there are no issues at all (see the raw file which shows what 20/20 eyesight sees).

Have a look at this statistic of the proportion of people needing correcting glasses :

75% of the Americans need some form of correcting lenses and 65% uses glasses. Of course, not all will wear their glasses to look in the VF. Still a pretty high group will need glasses to use a camera. So yes it is a disability, but a light and frequent one, which needs consideration from cameras manufacturers and reviewers, no need to be contemptuous toward them.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

Sony Alpha 7R
rrr_hhh
Like?
Re: Very nice job
In reply to Bob Meyer, Apr 16, 2013

Bob Meyer wrote:

If the ergos and menus of the OM-D didn't suck so bad, it would be the ultimate mirrorless camera. Unfortunately, for me at least, the design of the camera interferes with my enjoyment of photography. Using it becomes a struggle, rather than a joy.

For the ergonomics, I agree that the E-M5 could be a tad better : the E-P3 worked better for me. But I don't agree with the menus : the Panasonics ones are just as complicated, it is only a question of which one you are more familiar with. I have had two Panasonics bodies and three Olympus cameras and prefer the Olympus ones, I find them more logically organized unlike the Panasonic ones.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

Sony Alpha 7R
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,534Gear list
Like?
In reply to rrr_hhh, Apr 16, 2013

rrr_hhh wrote:

Have a look at this statistic of the proportion of people needing correcting glasses :

75% of the Americans need some form of correcting lenses and 65% uses glasses. Of course, not all will wear their glasses to look in the VF. Still a pretty high group will need glasses to use a camera. So yes it is a disability, but a light and frequent one, which needs consideration from cameras manufacturers and reviewers, no need to be contemptuous toward them.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

And I suspect the percentage may be even higher for people who have taken up photography as a hobby, as this is to a significant extent a more mature hobby and many people are wearing reading glasses even though they had excellent eyesight when young.  Relying on the dioptre adjustment on the EVF is not an option for many if not most as it means putting glasses on and off all the time.

Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,290Gear list
Like?
A good review with sligghtly dissapointing outcome

Very thorough, nice to have Andrew do the video test.

I think, even though the endresult is a Gold Award, to most there will be two and may be more points that really witholds them from buying this cam:

1) The EVF now has a confirmation of being a break point. Glasses are one problem, the dfferent in colours are aanother (and a big let down to me). The huge advantage of an EVF in this perspective is lost (WYSWYG).

2) Still IQ, all together, seems behind OMD. It is a personal thing though.

3) The size if stills is your main thing.

4) It is stateof the art in video, soso stills (compared to similar priced cams). Still quality is good, but 9 months too late in my view. Now it has to deal with D7100 etc and there is a clear difference and it is now on par with the OMD that is now a year here...

What I don't think is a valid point in this review is the comparison with the Blackmagic cam. AFAIK we only now how well it does on paper, we only know a price and we also know that it will take 3 months before it will become available. In my view, the comparison has no place in this review.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,478Gear list
Like?
Re: About the EVF.

I have used two GH3, one for a few hours, and other for a full day, they were different cameras, and I have not found any issues with the EVF.

Is it possible that some cameras have faulty EVF's and others not ?

Is not the EVF made by Epson ?

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.
Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit.
If plan A doesn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters, keep calm.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
thinkfat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,184Gear list
Like?
Review inconsistency: Viewfinder technology

Richard,

can you double check which technology the EVF is using? You write "OLED" and "field sequential". It cannot be both. An OLED cell can have only one color per location.

-- hide signature --

Everybody loves gadgets, until they try to make them
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thinkfat
http://thinkfat.blogspot.com

thinkfat's gear list:thinkfat's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +10 more
gregs4163
Regular MemberPosts: 210Gear list
Like?
Re: About the EVF.
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Apr 16, 2013

I agree with you 100% I can't for the life of me see any of the problems they are talking about? color or focus mine seems to be perfectly fine in my eyes???? Another thing too is they seem to agree that the GH3 is a step up from the GH2 in image quality, ergonomics, video etc... the list goes on, yet they give it the same exact score (79%) as the GH2???? shouldn't it get points for moving forward and building on an already great camera!

gregs4163's gear list:gregs4163's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads