Panasonic GH3 review published

Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions
Richard Butler
dpreview AdminPosts: 1,969
Like?
Panasonic GH3 review published
Apr 15, 2013

I know it's taken a while (even after we got a camera to work on), but our GH3 review is finally ready.

We worked with Andrew Reid at EOSHD to make sure we really did justice to the camera's video capabilities, so we hope you find something useful or interesting in there:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 review

Richard - dpreview.com

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Pele1973
Forum MemberPosts: 61
Like?
Re: Panasonic GH3 review published
In reply to Richard Butler, Apr 15, 2013

Thanks a lot!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ajamils1
Contributing MemberPosts: 926Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic GH3 review

About time!! Good review but there are couple of things that I did not understand when comparing with OM-D review.

- Both have same score for RAW files and OM-D has little better score in JPEG but it has significantly better score in low light/high iso?

- How come OM-D focus and metering better than GH3?

Thanks

ajamils1's gear list:ajamils1's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Fujifilm X-T1 Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Richard Butler
Like?
In reply to ajamils1, Apr 15, 2013

ajamils1 wrote:

About time!! Good review but there are couple of things that I did not understand when comparing with OM-D review.

- Both have same score for RAW files and OM-D has little better score in JPEG but it has significantly better score in low light/high iso?

- How come OM-D focus and metering better than GH3?

Thanks

The low light/high iso element of image quality is considered separately (if it was also included in the JPEG score, it would essentially be double-counted) and that's really the area (in JPEG) where the E-M5 stands apart from the GH3.

The focus of the two cameras is similarly good but the GH3 has the tendency towards underexposure that we've seen before in Panasonics. Not to a terrible degree, but enough for it to be marked down a touch.

Richard - dpreview.com

kryten61
Forum MemberPosts: 97
Like?

Hi All

So on DXO, the GH3 Signal to Noise graph virtually overlaps the OM-D, virtually identical.

So does this mean the better noise performance shown in DP reviews test is not allowing for Olympus's fairly overstated ISO setting versus actual ISO?

tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,198Gear list
Like?

Thanks for the good review. You have confirmed my concerns about the view finder, which is indeed disappointing for a flagship camera.

The view finder is the deal breaker for me, making the purchase of the GH3 out of question for me.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +17 more
Richard Butler
Like?
In reply to kryten61, Apr 15, 2013

kryten61 wrote:

Hi All

So on DXO, the GH3 Signal to Noise graph virtually overlaps the OM-D, virtually identical.

So does this mean the better noise performance shown in DP reviews test is not allowing for Olympus's fairly overstated ISO setting versus actual ISO?

The difference in the scoring is, as I say above, mainly down to the difference in JPEG performance at high ISO. The OM-D's noise reduction is better than the GH3's - providing a better balance of detail and noise.

The difference in ISO between the two cameras is 1/3rd of a stop, when tested using the part of the standard that the manufacturers use.

What DxO shows you is that the two manufacturers are using different Raw values to give middle grey in the JPEG - this is not mis-stating ISO, it's a perfectly allowable part of the standard. DxO themselves confirm there is no expectation that stated ISO and their 'measured ISO' will correspond to one another. (Note that they do not use the term 'actual' ISO).

Richard - dpreview.com

Alexis D
Regular MemberPosts: 385
Like?
In reply to Richard Butler, Apr 16, 2013

Thanks, Richard.

I think the review is confirming what most have expected. Great to have another flagship choice in M43.  I believe the GH3 and the E-M5 will be compared and debated everyday on this forum for the next 3 months.  

Here's my take:

GH3 - better handling, better ergonomics (dials and buttons), fully articulated LCD, the best video around and the best hybrid, automatic CA correction

E-M5 - smaller, lighter, cheaper, better EVF, better JPEG (colour and noise), and the best IBIS around (stabilsing any lens that is mounted on it)

And there is also the subjective matter of looks, retro or no-nonsense style.

TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,402
Like?
Very nice job

I won't be ditching the OMD for one, I'm mainly a still photo type and that IBIS really spoils you, but I thought it was a smart move to call in a video expert to work it over from a video perspective, as that's where it really shines.

What terrific choices we have...

fotophool
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,723
Like?
In reply to tgutgu, Apr 16, 2013

tgutgu wrote:

Thanks for the good review. You have confirmed my concerns about the view finder, which is indeed disappointing for a flagship camera.

The view finder is the deal breaker for me, making the purchase of the GH3 out of question for me.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

Yes, yes, we know.

We tirelessly know.

How many times are you going to tell us?

My Flickr Pics

jdu_sg
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?

The amount of functionality in this camera is mind boggling - I don't think the industry is quite ready to level off. It must be tough keeping the review to 20 pages.

jdu_sg's gear list:jdu_sg's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Minolta DiMAGE S404 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +5 more
panolympus
Regular MemberPosts: 169Gear list
Like?

I can see by the table of contents and skimming though, a lot of work and effort was put into this. Thank you!

luisflorit
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,893Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alexis D, Apr 16, 2013

Alexis D wrote:

Thanks, Richard.

I think the review is confirming what most have expected. Great to have another flagship choice in M43.  I believe the GH3 and the E-M5 will be compared and debated everyday on this forum for the next 3 months.  

Here's my take:

GH3 - better handling, better ergonomics (dials and buttons), fully articulated LCD, the best video around and the best hybrid, automatic CA correction

E-M5 - smaller, lighter, cheaper, better EVF, better JPEG (colour and noise), and the best IBIS around (stabilsing any lens that is mounted on it)

Just to add something that for me is important:

E-M5: 1/250s of flash sync vs. 1/160s. WHY Pany??

:/

-- hide signature --

My gallery: http://luis.impa.br/photo
http://luis.impa.br/fotos/0412_bariloche/thumb/panorama-campanario-600.jpg
Oly E5/E3 + 12-60 + 50-200 + EC14 + EC20 + FL50R
Pany FZ50 + Oly FL50 + TCON17 + Raynox 150 & 250

luisflorit's gear list:luisflorit's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 2.0x Teleconverter EC-20 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
Ron Outdoors
Contributing MemberPosts: 568
Like?

Nice review. I've had the camera for a couple of months and picked a few things from what I've read so far.

-- hide signature --

www.ronhartman.net

exdeejjjaaaa
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,717Gear list
Like?
In reply to tgutgu, Apr 16, 2013

tgutgu wrote:

it does not confirm you allegations... it just says that visually impaired people like you (those who need to wear glasses ) do not see all the image sharp - "you'll rarely see the whole screen as sharp if you wear glasses"... you were alleging that everybody doesn't... just compare what is written in review w/ your previous musings.

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +20 more
exdeejjjaaaa
Like?
In reply to luisflorit, Apr 16, 2013

luisflorit wrote:

Alexis D wrote:

Thanks, Richard.

Here's my take:

Just to add something that for me is important:

E-M5: 1/250s of flash sync vs. 1/160s. WHY Pany??

the situation is that you really don't have 1/250 w/ EM5 all the time w/ all flashes.

Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +20 more
exdeejjjaaaa
Like?
In reply to Alexis D, Apr 16, 2013

Alexis D wrote:

and the best IBIS around (stabilsing any lens that is mounted on it)

and shutter shock because of that

sea_dragon
Contributing MemberPosts: 621Gear list
Like?
In reply to exdeejjjaaaa, Apr 16, 2013

exdeejjjaaaa wrote

it does not confirm you allegations... it just says that visually impaired people like you (those who need to wear glasses ) do not see all the image sharp - "you'll rarely see the whole screen as sharp if you wear glasses"... you were alleging that everybody doesn't... just compare what is written in review w/ your previous musings.

Read this then...

"However, we found the viewfinder optics to be disappointing - it's difficult to ever see the whole panel and the corners are fuzzy unless you look straight at them (a problem that gets even worse if you wear glasses). "

sea_dragon's gear list:sea_dragon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
sea_dragon
Contributing MemberPosts: 621Gear list
Like?

R Butler wrote:

I know it's taken a while (even after we got a camera to work on), but our GH3 review is finally ready.

We worked with Andrew Reid at EOSHD to make sure we really did justice to the camera's video capabilities, so we hope you find something useful or interesting in there:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 review

Richard - dpreview.com

Thank you for an excellent and thorough review!

sea_dragon's gear list:sea_dragon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
exdeejjjaaaa
Like?
In reply to kryten61, Apr 16, 2013

kryten61 wrote:

Hi All

take Adobe DNG converter, convert raw files to DNG and then see the value of "baseline exposure" tag for both cameras ... that will show the hidden exposure correction that Adobe raw converters (ACR and LR) will do behind the scenes for Olympus and for Panasonic... the difference is 0.5 EV... you will not see that in ACR/LR user interface though... you can't switch that off unless you creare a custom .dcp profile and force that tag to be 0 for both cameras.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads