Olympus 17mm f1.8

Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions
Mo50
Regular MemberPosts: 359Gear list
Like?
Olympus 17mm f1.8
Apr 15, 2013

Hey, anyone using an Olympus 17mm f1.8? I would love to hear some feedback and even see some samples. Not interested in the f2.8 version.

I am close to purchasing an OM-D and would like to start with a 17mm 1.8 and a 45mm 1.8. The Oly 12mm looks good, but 12mm is a bit too wide when only starting with two lenses.

It also seems like Olympus lenses are the way to go on the OM-D as it is already stabilized and I would not need an adapter. It seems that CA is also better. I am not interested in zooms for this camera at this time. I might later picking up a second body before a zoom.

I hike, bike and stroll and photograph everything. Presently using a 50D and a G10.

Thanks very much,

Mo

Mo50's gear list:Mo50's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
Canon EOS 50D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Acrill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,369Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus 17mm f1.8
In reply to Mo50, Apr 15, 2013

I use it and like it.

I'm not sure what else to say. The build quality is great, pictures are nice and sharp, auto-focus is very fast.

If you like the 35mm focal length I thoroughly recommend it.

I also use it along with the 45mm 1.8, they are my two most commonly use lenses and the 17 has been on the camera a lot lately.

Acrill's gear list:Acrill's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Neil
Regular MemberPosts: 121
Like?
In reply to Acrill, Apr 15, 2013

I have the 17mm 1.8 as well along with Oly 45 and it is a really good lens. I have always gravitated towards the classic 35mm most amongst all other FLs. I had the older 17mm 2.8 and thought that was an under-appreciated lens but the new 17 is markedly better in build quality & IQ. Most people that have complained about it on here are only focused on a couple of negative reviews ala Lenstip and don't seem to actually own it!

Really the biggest knock on it from many is that it is over priced though I honestly don't think so. Panny's old 20mm was priced up there too when first released and in truth the build quality and AF speed& reliability of the 17mm in comparison is miles ahead. If you enjoy ambient light photography at 35mm, Oly's newest is a great choice. You won't be disappointed.

Cheers,
Neil

CharlesTokyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 704Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mo50, Apr 15, 2013

Hey, anyone using an Olympus 17mm f1.8? I would love to hear some feedback and even see some samples. Not interested in the f2.8 version.

It also seems like Olympus lenses are the way to go on the OM-D as it is already stabilized and I would not need an adapter. It seems that CA is also better. I am not interested in zooms for this camera at this time. I might later picking up a second body before a zoom.

I also use it and like it. I'm not sure what all the complaining was about. It's not the best lens ever with this angle of view, but the images I get through it are great. The prints look wonderful and I'm not disappointed in the least. AF is fast and the snap focus comes in useful.

I also use the Panasonic lenses. I've got a few, but in the prime range the 14mm and 20mm have had extensive use on the OM-D and both work fine.

I also shoot with a second body. Definitely a lot easier than the SLR cameras. A second body can get heavy when carrying it around on the should all day, but I do love having the flexibility.

CharlesTokyo's gear list:CharlesTokyo's gear list
Ricoh GR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +22 more
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,360
Like?
Read my review
In reply to Mo50, Apr 16, 2013

Mo50 wrote:

I am close to purchasing an OM-D and would like to start with a 17mm 1.8 and a 45mm 1.8. The Oly 12mm looks good, but 12mm is a bit too wide when only starting with two lenses.

I hike, bike and stroll and photograph everything. Presently using a 50D and a G10.

Thanks very much,

Mo

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51102344

photodan1
Contributing MemberPosts: 584Gear list
Like?

My wife at the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga.

Playground in the snow - we didn't get much this year

A little snow at an old barn in Tennessee

I like the lens very much. Nice and sharp, good bokeh for a wide angle. It is my go to lens right now.

G3, E-PM2, E-PM1, 45 Oly, 17 1.8 Oly, 14-42 RII, 14-42 Pany, 40-150 Oly, Metz 50-AF
Flickr stream: http://www.flickr.com/dankanephotography/

photodan1's gear list:photodan1's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,149
Like?
In reply to photodan1, Apr 16, 2013

Nice, thank for posting. I don't have any pics uploaded from this lens and I've only had it a short time.

I like the build quality the most. It works well with my two bodies E-M5 and E-P3. Fast focus, sharp wide open (except extreme edges), small, light, and one of my favorite focal lengths.

I had been thinking about getting the Voigtlander 17.5mm .095 and when this was announced I changed my thoughts mainly because I wanted autofocus and a more compact size.

-- hide signature --

Dave

shihhan
Regular MemberPosts: 307
Like?

Mo50 wrote:

Thanks very much,

Mo

17/1.8: great pro-grade lens at a classic street photography focal length. Small and lightweight, only downside is price (under £400, which should be f1.4 price tbh...) and no hood included with this price (the JJC replacement hood is fine though)

45/1.8: great lens at a classic portrait photography focal length. Small and lightweight and very affordable (under £300), again no hood included. Downside is plastic build (but doesn't feel too cheap, and has metal mount), a bit prone to flare without hood.

Great combo really. Hope you enjoy your OM-D purchase!

MrScorpio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,351Gear list
Like?

Mo50 wrote:

Thanks very much,

Mo

Hi

I own it and it is a nice and sharp lens, perfect in pair with the omd. You might need an ND filter for bright conditions though, to take adavantage of the shallow DOF. The omd has a lowest ISO 200 setting...

-- hide signature --
 MrScorpio's gear list:MrScorpio's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +20 more
enrique santa
Contributing MemberPosts: 706Gear list
Like?

Hi Mo. My experience whit this lenses is fine. Actually is glued to my omd. For streetshooting and half body portraits is great. It focuses really quickly and it sharp in my own experience I cant see any diferences with other good m 4/3 lenses. Some reviews and some people at this forum have trashed this lens IMHO this lens is at the level of the others primes from pana or oly....I mean the final result : the pictures looks similar IQ from others from others primes.

If you like take a look at my gallery. Most of my last pics are taken with the oly 17 1.8

Cheers

-- hide signature --
 enrique santa's gear list:enrique santa's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Micromegas777
Regular MemberPosts: 191
Like?
Panasonic 14mm/Oly 45 & 75mm

this is my standard combo. The 75mm is in a class of its own.If you can afford, get it

The Panasonic 14mm is sharp and very small and affordable

https://picasaweb.google.com/110955796927925538104/MonastereDeDompierre27January2013?authuser=0&feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/110955796927925538104/Woelflinswil?authuser=0&feat=directlink

rialcnis
Regular MemberPosts: 257Gear list
Like?

If you are getting the OMD, get the 12-50 kit lens first.   A great deal.  A great versatile lens.  Then take the time to see what you need.

rialcnis's gear list:rialcnis's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical +1 more
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,471Gear list
Like?
In reply to rialcnis, Apr 16, 2013

rialcnis wrote:

If you are getting the OMD, get the 12-50 kit lens first.   A great deal.  A great versatile lens.  Then take the time to see what you need.

That's what I did and it's a useful lens for general walkabout or those times when convenience is a consideration, but it really lacks a fast aperture and it is quite long (I bought an OMD for it's compact size) so I'd get some primes asap. I got a 45mm f1.8 free from Olympus and I think that offer still stands. I will use this lens alot, mainly for portrait. The next 2 lenses I bought were the 12mm and the 60 macro. Later I bought the 17mm f1.8.. Despite the fact that it wasn't the first lens I bought it will be the most used. I like the focal length, the fast aperture, small size and decent build. For my purposes it is the best lens available.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D700 +1 more
Mo50
Regular MemberPosts: 359Gear list
Like?
In reply to Mo50, Apr 17, 2013

Thank you for your posts. You have helped me to pretty much solidify my direction of starting with two Olympus primes, the 17 f1.8 and the 45 f1.8.

Photodan, the shots that you posted here are both unique and inspiring. Your gallery as well. The 45mm close up in your gallery that you call "fuzzy sunrise" is absolutely beautiful.

Thanks very much,

Mo

Mo50's gear list:Mo50's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +2 more
photodan1
Contributing MemberPosts: 584Gear list
Like?

Thanks Mo

-- hide signature --

G3, E-PM2, E-PM1, 45 Oly, 17 1.8 Oly, 14-42 RII, 14-42 Pany, 40-150 Oly, Metz 50-AF
Flickr stream: http://www.flickr.com/dankanephotography/

photodan1's gear list:photodan1's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
S. Miller
Contributing MemberPosts: 604
Like?

Mo50 wrote:

Thanks very much,

Mo

Hi Mo,

I love the 17/1.8 and have been using it a lot on the E-M5. Here are some photos I just posted a few minutes ago. All were shot with this combo, most using zone focusing with the manual snap-focus ring.

Steve

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51309115

MilSooper
Senior MemberPosts: 1,869Gear list
Like?

Might I suggest the 17mm and a Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 For two very good starter lenses if primes are what you want.

MilSooper's gear list:MilSooper's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Leica M8.2 Leica M9-P Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +7 more
Doberman
Regular MemberPosts: 207Gear list
Like?
In reply to MilSooper, Apr 21, 2013

Just got the 12mm. Also ordered the 17mm. 1.8. Do yo guys think 17 and 12mm are too close to have both, considering the price?. Should i have ordered the Leica Pana 25? Also I  have the 45, 75, 60macro and the kit lens.

-- hide signature --

Murat

Doberman's gear list:Doberman's gear list
Sony RX100 II Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D800 Nikon D7000 Nikon D300 +8 more
Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 18,009Gear list
Like?
In reply to Doberman, Apr 21, 2013

Doberman wrote:

Just got the 12mm. Also ordered the 17mm. 1.8. Do yo guys think 17 and 12mm are too close to have both, considering the price?. Should i have ordered the Leica Pana 25? Also I  have the 45, 75, 60macro and the kit lens.

No, I wouldn't consider the 12 and the 17 too close. The first is a strong WA, bordering on UWA. The second is a very slight WA, bordering on a normal lens. They can't really substitute for one another in my opinion.

How you choose between different FLs that are all close to normal (17, 20, 25) is just a matter of personal preference. I prefer to be a bit on the wide side, which means 17 and 20 work pretty well for me whereas 25 is a bit on the long/narrow side.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +21 more
Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,286
Like?
In reply to Doberman, Apr 21, 2013

You're assembling an enviable kit! 17 and 12 are very, very different focal lengths that will provide unique perspectives and fields of view (easily demonstrated with a WA zoom). Whether it's worth investing in two pretty expensive lenses (especially the 12) depends on your shooting habits.

I'd welcome either into my camera bag, probably the 12 first because I have the 20, which is rather close to the 17.

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads