Lens storage. How do you keep yours?

Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions
zelli
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?
Lens storage. How do you keep yours?
Apr 15, 2013

I would like to hear how people care for their lenses when stored away and not in use.  I imagine the protection from dust is a prime consideration, but what other hazards should be avoided to keep my lenses unaffected over time?  No kids or cats to worry about.

For the past eight months I currently keep my lenses out in the open on a table in my home office, both ends capped and standing vertically.  A voice inside is telling me I should be doing something different.  Perhaps storage in a plastic box put away in a cabinet?

I like to look at the equipment though.

SEL50 SEL35 SEL18200 & kit plus various FD's and Nikon's with adapters for my 5N.

How do you keep yours?

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,772Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens storage. How do you keep yours?
In reply to zelli, Apr 15, 2013

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jonathan_Whiteman
Contributing MemberPosts: 803Gear list
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, Apr 15, 2013

Wow!  That's so much cooler than my neoprene sleeve and cupboard combo

Annex
Regular MemberPosts: 193Gear list
Like?

zelli wrote:

I would like to hear how people care for their lenses when stored away and not in use.  I imagine the protection from dust is a prime consideration, but what other hazards should be avoided to keep my lenses unaffected over time?  No kids or cats to worry about.

For the past eight months I currently keep my lenses out in the open on a table in my home office, both ends capped and standing vertically.  A voice inside is telling me I should be doing something different.  Perhaps storage in a plastic box put away in a cabinet?

SEL50 SEL35 SEL18200 & kit plus various FD's and Nikon's with adapters for my 5N.

How do you keep yours?

I use this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/flight-case-with-foam-460mm-x-350mm-x-160mm-36796

Cheaper version of Henry's version. Ive got 2 and each lens has a customised slot. Yes, I agree, sad.....

Annex's gear list:Annex's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,160Gear list
Like?

zelli wrote:

For the past eight months I currently keep my lenses out in the open on a table in my home office, both ends capped and standing vertically.

This is actually a great way to store them, they get airflow to prevent mold growth, etc.  They will pick up some dust (but not much if capped).

A voice inside is telling me I should be doing something different.  Perhaps storage in a plastic box put away in a cabinet?

If you put in a case either be sure the case is totally dry or throw in some desiccant.  You can buy silica gel desiccant cheap and a lot of it can be recharged in the microwave or oven at low temp.

How do you keep yours?

Laying all over the place.  Like fronts of book shelves, kitchen table, basement (bad, run dehumidifier), etc  I recently made a display shelf to hold some I am testing.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
TriniArt2
Regular MemberPosts: 323Gear list
Like?
In reply to zelli, Apr 16, 2013

In airtight plastic food containers with Silica Gel (desiccant). This helps with the humidity here in the Caribbean.

TriniArt2's gear list:TriniArt2's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +12 more
capt bob
Senior MemberPosts: 1,506Gear list
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, Apr 16, 2013

blue_skies wrote:

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

I have 2 of those Pelican Cases from the old days (night ops)  can one just by the innards ?

The foam ones deteriorate and can flake and get in the lens I like that  got a link ?

capt bob's gear list:capt bob's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro +22 more
evoprox
Senior MemberPosts: 1,122Gear list
Like?
In reply to TriniArt2, Apr 16, 2013

TriniArt2 wrote:

In airtight plastic food containers with Silica Gel (desiccant). This helps with the humidity here in the Caribbean.

I travel a lot, so same here, plastic food containers and SG for everything except the tripods.

-- hide signature --

'Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it.' Dali

evoprox's gear list:evoprox's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
ericdfw
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?

Found these organizers at Lowes, just mixed and matched sizes and put on an open shelf.  I haven't done anything special to prevent dust, but it hasn't been a problem.

John Knuhtsen
Contributing MemberPosts: 585
Like?

I think it is important to store them dry and at constant temperature during the winter in order not to create fungus. (In tropical countries some biological things can grow on the lenses and it might spread. Take care !) It stuck me suddenly this winter when I bought some legacy lenses for my Nex. Fungus is mentioned often. Unfortunately I have never seen it. Further the stop should not be set at maximum. It is better for the blades to be set at a higher F-number over time.

dpyy
Contributing MemberPosts: 805
Like?
In reply to zelli, Apr 17, 2013

zelli wrote:

How do you keep yours?

I also wanted a fancy shelve for lens. But I couldn't find any online. Anyone else have seen any?

GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,067Gear list
Like?
In a Dry Cabinate
In reply to zelli, Apr 18, 2013

But then, I live in a tropical climate, so avoiding fungus is a must.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +35 more
Dunnlang
Regular MemberPosts: 140Gear list
Like?
Re: In a Dry Cabinate
In reply to GodSpeaks, Apr 18, 2013

If dry is a must, what about a larger Humidor?  It could have the added benefits of looking nice and keeping the dust away.

Edit:  That is if there are ones that can moderate the humidity down.  I have just realized that might not be the case...

Perhaps a Desicant with a nice cabinet.

Dunnlang's gear list:Dunnlang's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S8000 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
Rickj23
Regular MemberPosts: 453
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, Apr 18, 2013

blue_skies wrote:

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Wow, this is something.  Do you actually use these lenses ... or just look at them from time to time.  I have 13 Nikkor lenses, some worth 2000-3000 USD, but I just store them in the Billingham canvas bags. And some of my lenses circumnavigated the globe several times.

I just use the Billingham superflex partitions to separate the lenses, or camera bodies. The camera gear is usually quite tuff, there is no need to be paranoid about it.

Get an old army surplus canvas bag, pad it with the bubble wrap and that is it.  If you want to improve on that, there are plenty of camera dedicated padded bags, with partitions held down by Velcro. The outfits like Manfrotto make the bags that sell for less than 50 USD and they are just as good as bags made by Tamrac, or Domke that cost 200  USD.

Rickj23
Regular MemberPosts: 453
Like?
Re: In a Dry Cabinate
In reply to Dunnlang, Apr 18, 2013

Dunnlang wrote:

If dry is a must, what about a larger Humidor?  It could have the added benefits of looking nice and keeping the dust away.

Edit:  That is if there are ones that can moderate the humidity down.  I have just realized that might not be the case...

Perhaps a Desicant with a nice cabinet.

Kitchen shrink wrap is a better solution, when you travel in areas with humidity over 95%. The desicant would last you just a few minutes.

mrkhong
Regular MemberPosts: 333Gear list
Like?
In reply to zelli, Apr 18, 2013
 mrkhong's gear list:mrkhong's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
clockwork247
Regular MemberPosts: 336Gear list
Like?
In reply to ericdfw, Apr 18, 2013

ericdfw wrote:

Found these organizers at Lowes, just mixed and matched sizes and put on an open shelf.  I haven't done anything special to prevent dust, but it hasn't been a problem.

you got a lowes link for that organizer?

clockwork247's gear list:clockwork247's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A330 Sony SLT-A37
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,772Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rickj23, Apr 18, 2013

Rickj23 wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Wow, this is something.  Do you actually use these lenses ... or just look at them from time to time.  I have 13 Nikkor lenses, some worth 2000-3000 USD, but I just store them in the Billingham canvas bags. And some of my lenses circumnavigated the globe several times.

I just use the Billingham superflex partitions to separate the lenses, or camera bodies. The camera gear is usually quite tuff, there is no need to be paranoid about it.

Get an old army surplus canvas bag, pad it with the bubble wrap and that is it.  If you want to improve on that, there are plenty of camera dedicated padded bags, with partitions held down by Velcro. The outfits like Manfrotto make the bags that sell for less than 50 USD and they are just as good as bags made by Tamrac, or Domke that cost 200  USD.

Thanks, I have several Pelican cases to store the lenses in, and no - they don't get out nearly as often as I had planned - mostly due to long days in the office, including weekend work. Maybe after the summer I'll get out a lot more.

Bag wise, I have been collecting these as well, it seems, never finding the perfect bag. the third pic shows some of my more favorite bags.

The Pelican cases allow me to have a 'permanent' location for each lens, so it is very easy to find them, or realize that one is missing, ie. placed in one of the camera bags.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
dpyy
Contributing MemberPosts: 805
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, Apr 18, 2013

blue_skies wrote:

Rickj23 wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

Thanks, I have several Pelican cases to store the lenses in, and no - they don't get out nearly as often as I had planned - mostly due to long days in the office, including weekend work. Maybe after the summer I'll get out a lot more.

Bag wise, I have been collecting these as well, it seems, never finding the perfect bag. the third pic shows some of my more favorite bags.

The Pelican cases allow me to have a 'permanent' location for each lens, so it is very easy to find them, or realize that one is missing, ie. placed in one of the camera bags.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

It's actually really surprising to see you have such a huge collection of lens but no interest in getting more/better bodies!

Schwaeble
Regular MemberPosts: 265
Like?
In reply to mrkhong, Apr 18, 2013

Impressively low price on that case.  (marking for finding later on...)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads