Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions
MisterBG
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,372
Like?
Re: Don't like some of the changes
In reply to RoelHendrickx, Apr 17, 2013

RoelHendrickx wrote:

StevenN wrote:

I've only tried Lightroom 5 out briefly, but I already miss the Recovery slider and Fill light slider that they've eliminated.

I'm talking about the differences from Lightroom 3.6 (I was going to get version 4 -- until 5 beta came out).

Under the Basic controls, here's the differences:

Lightroom 3.6                                       Lightroom 5

Exposure                                                Exposure

Recovery                                                Contrast

Fill Light                                                 Highlights

Blacks                                                    Shadows

Brightness                                              Whites

Contrast                                                 Blacks

I worked on a raw photo that I previously had worked on in Lightroom 3.6, and I wasn't able to achieve the same pleasing result with version 5. But I understand that this is still in beta, so it should get better.

The methodology changed between LR3 and LR4.

Takes some getting used to, but you will get there.

The new methodology is more logical, actually, with all sliders that affect "exposure" and light levels, resulting in brighter to the right and darker to the left.

In the old methodology, the "Blacks" level slider made the image darker when sliding to the right.

Since LR 4 was the first edition that I thought was worth the money, I'm not aware of the changes in the slider labelling compared to earlier versions, so I don't have to "unlearn" anything.

What I will say is that the highlight recovery in LR4 is better than any other raw developer programs that I've tried, and that's most of them.
The actual image manipulation tools in Lightroom seem to be simple and intuitive, although I cannot say that about some of the other features, although I slowly becoming more familiar with the program.

I've downloaded the LR 5 Beta but not yet had a chance to play with it.
It's a "doh!" situation when you've paid out for a piece of software and a new release comes along quite quickly. I hope Adobe's upgrade pricing is not too aggressive when the final release of LR5 comes out.

-- hide signature --

>The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 22,776
Like?
In reply to MisterBG, Apr 17, 2013

MisterBG wrote:

RoelHendrickx wrote:

StevenN wrote:

I've only tried Lightroom 5 out briefly, but I already miss the Recovery slider and Fill light slider that they've eliminated.

I'm talking about the differences from Lightroom 3.6 (I was going to get version 4 -- until 5 beta came out).

I worked on a raw photo that I previously had worked on in Lightroom 3.6, and I wasn't able to achieve the same pleasing result with version 5. But I understand that this is still in beta, so it should get better.

The new methodology is more logical, actually, with all sliders that affect "exposure" and light levels, resulting in brighter to the right and darker to the left.

In the old methodology, the "Blacks" level slider made the image darker when sliding to the right.

Since LR 4 was the first edition that I thought was worth the money, I'm not aware of the changes in the slider labelling compared to earlier versions, so I don't have to "unlearn" anything.

What I will say is that the highlight recovery in LR4 is better than any other raw developer programs that I've tried, and that's most of them.
The actual image manipulation tools in Lightroom seem to be simple and intuitive, although I cannot say that about some of the other features, although I slowly becoming more familiar with the program.

That is why I have stuck with LR since trying it (without even looking further) : the workflow is just totally intuitive and natural for me (but I don't use everything : mainly just the basics).

I've downloaded the LR 5 Beta but not yet had a chance to play with it.
It's a "doh!" situation when you've paid out for a piece of software and a new release comes along quite quickly. I hope Adobe's upgrade pricing is not too aggressive when the final release of LR5 comes out.

I've upgraded from 2 to 3 and to 4 and found the upgrade policy reasonable.

IIRC, I think that LR4 was also cheaper than previous versions for new buyers.

-- hide signature --

>The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

MatsP
Senior MemberPosts: 1,152Gear list
Like?
In reply to RoelHendrickx, Apr 17, 2013

RoelHendrickx wrote:

StevenN wrote:

-- hide signature --

StevenN

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

I have used LR 1,2,3,4 and now 5. It has developed from a quite simple organizing tool with the possibility to some basic adjustments to a very sophisticated piece of software. Earlier I needed PS, PTlens and other programs to make complimentary adjustments. Now I manage with LR alone. The controls introduced in LR4 are much more logical and easier to use than the old ones. Getting used to them was no problem at all. I think it was a great advantage.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
MatsP
Like?
Re: Lightroom 5 is out
In reply to exdeejjjaaaa, Apr 17, 2013

exdeejjjaaaa wrote:

MatsP wrote:

It seems also to me as the colors from my E-M5 look better than in LR4. If Adobe really has done someting about their a little strange color rendering from Oly raw files it's good. Or is itjust my imagination?

compare .dcp profiles from v5 vs v4...

I don't know what that means, but I made a test by comparing two copies of same picture, one imported into LR4, one into LR5 and then exported to jpeg whithout any other processing. There is no difference. It was my imagination. 

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Canon Pixma MG8150 DxO Optics Pro Standard +1 more
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 27,527Gear list
Like?
In reply to StevenN, Apr 17, 2013

StevenN wrote:

-- hide signature --

StevenN

I felt the same way going from v3 to v4 initially, but in fact the algorithms involved are dramatically better.   v4 gave new life to existing RAW exposures, like that old camera suddenly had a new sensor.   The practice of taking multiple exposures for HDR type blending has become very much less necessary - when I do execute such, most times one of the bracketed exposures is all that's required.

I ended up getting Martin Evening's LR4 book, which gave a lot of insight into the differences obvious and under the hood.  Give LR5 and yourself a chance to get to know each other - not to would be a disservice to your photography [g].

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
Droogie45
Regular MemberPosts: 172Gear list
Like?
Re:Quick question?
In reply to Bob Tullis, Apr 17, 2013

I've never had the chance to use Light Room, however I usually have the latest versions  of Photoshop, is there something I'm missing out on with Light Room? Do I need it?

Droogie45's gear list:Droogie45's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +7 more
MatsP
Like?
In reply to Droogie45, Apr 17, 2013

Droogie45 wrote:

I've never had the chance to use Light Room, however I usually have the latest versions  of Photoshop, is there something I'm missing out on with Light Room? Do I need it?

Why not download the beta and try it. Its for free. Then you can decide if you want to buy the sharp version when it comes in June. Only you know if it is something for you.

Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 27,527Gear list
Like?
In reply to Droogie45, Apr 17, 2013

Droogie45 wrote:

If you're comfortable with PS, there's no reason to change.   LR is more geared towards photographers, however, and has a lot of conveniences w/o the extras.   It would take a different approach if you're used to working with layers, and a third party book would be useful to make the transition easier if you wanted to give it a go.

The beta version would be a good way to check it out - iirc you'll get more time to use it than if you tried the trial version of the current version.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
Mingjai
Senior MemberPosts: 1,251Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bob Tullis, Apr 17, 2013

Bob Tullis wrote:

I felt the same way going from v3 to v4 initially, but in fact the algorithms involved are dramatically better.   v4 gave new life to existing RAW exposures, like that old camera suddenly had a new sensor.

I agree with this--I was amazed at how much more room there was to process my GH1 RAWs than under LR3. Even my G1 and E-PL2 RAWs benefited, but the GH1 benefited the most from the new processing engine.

Mingjai's gear list:Mingjai's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +13 more
Droogie45
Regular MemberPosts: 172Gear list
Like?
In reply to MatsP, Apr 17, 2013

I think I will give it a go. Just to see how the other half lives. Plus I can get an educational discount if I like it.

Thanks

Droogie45's gear list:Droogie45's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +7 more
bgalb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,305Gear list
Like?
In reply to StevenN, Apr 17, 2013

I have been playing with LR5 just a little and don't see much different from 4.4.  I have noticed the Blue and Red "blinkies" or whatever you call them that indicate blocked shadows and blown highlights.  Am still not sure if they will be very useful.  May be when I get used to them.

Have yet to find a way to turn them off ??  Sometimes they are irritating when I want to leave some of my shadows or dark areas like they are, but those nagging blue patches keep getting me conflicted between adjusting them off or leaving the dark areas the way I seem to want them in some photos.

Any way to turn them off when desired ? Anyone?

bgalb's gear list:bgalb's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +5 more
JohnBGood
Regular MemberPosts: 347Gear list
Like?
In reply to bgalb, Apr 17, 2013

bgalb wrote:

I have been playing with LR5 just a little and don't see much different from 4.4.  I have noticed the Blue and Red "blinkies" or whatever you call them that indicate blocked shadows and blown highlights.  Am still not sure if they will be very useful.  May be when I get used to them.

Have yet to find a way to turn them off ??  Sometimes they are irritating when I want to leave some of my shadows or dark areas like they are, but those nagging blue patches keep getting me conflicted between adjusting them off or leaving the dark areas the way I seem to want them in some photos.

If it's behaving like the same option in LR4, all you have to do is to click on the corresponding arrow that are located at the top of the Histogram window, left arrow is for the blacks, right one for the whites (both small arrows are pointing up)

Usefull but I also don't let them on, just using them on occasion.

Hope this help

-John

-- hide signature --

A mind is like a parachute, it works better when open.

JohnBGood's gear list:JohnBGood's gear list
Canon PowerShot A720 IS Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
Atwater
Forum MemberPosts: 80Gear list
Like?

bgalb wrote:

If it's the same as LR 3.6, then click on the triangles in the upper corners of the histogram in the develop module.

Atwater's gear list:Atwater's gear list
Lytro Light Field 8GB Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +1 more
robert1955
Senior MemberPosts: 1,859Gear list
Like?
Re: Is LR now out of sync with ACR?
In reply to noirdesir, Apr 17, 2013

When your LR and PS versions are not in synch, when you want to edit in PS you get a warning [a nag screen really] that informs you that 'this operation may require version 7.4 of ACR."or words to that effect. This has been updated already to tell you the version should be 8.1.

robert1955's gear list:robert1955's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,306Gear list
Like?

bgalb wrote:

The "J" keyboard shortcut toggles the markings on and off. That should be the easiest way.

-- hide signature --

Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-PL7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +26 more
bgalb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,305Gear list
Like?
In reply to JohnBGood, Apr 17, 2013

Oops!  I never used them in LR4 and they must have been on by default in LR5 beta.  Thanks!

bgalb's gear list:bgalb's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +5 more
MisterBG
Like?
In reply to Droogie45, Apr 18, 2013

Droogie45 wrote:

Funny, I'm coming from the opposite position.
I've adopted Lightroom as my raw developer and I've never used Photoshop. Lightroom does just about everything I need, so I wonder what advantage I will gain by having Photoshop. I tried Elements, hated the UI and found it so limited in what it can do. The full Photoshop CS is way to much money to even think about.

-- hide signature --

MisterBG
Like?
In reply to bgalb, Apr 18, 2013

bgalb wrote:

Oops!  I never used them in LR4 and they must have been on by default in LR5 beta.  Thanks!

Yes! I just tried LR5 beta for the first time, and the highlight/shadow clipping indicators were enabled by default. In LR 4.4 you need to select them to enable the display.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads