Nik Collection as Stand-Alones?

Started Apr 14, 2013 | Discussions
SantaFeBill
Senior MemberPosts: 2,088
Like?
Nik Collection as Stand-Alones?
Apr 14, 2013

I got the Google version of the Nik Collection, since I was able to get it for free.
Can the apps in this version be used as stand-alones, following Jason ODell's instructions, or does this version only install and function if you have one of the stated programs?

I know, I could just try it. But I'm under some close deadlines on other projects, and my experience has been that, if something doesn't go just right, time multiples as you try to figure out why and how to fix. So I'd appreciate knowing in advance if it's not going to work.

Thanks.

_Fotogrfr_
Contributing MemberPosts: 755
Like?
Re: Nik Collection as Stand-Alones?
In reply to SantaFeBill, Apr 15, 2013

SantaFeBill wrote:

I got the Google version of the Nik Collection, since I was able to get it for free.
Can the apps in this version be used as stand-alones,

A friend of mine purchased the collection not knowing that HDR Efex 2 would not run in Elements.  However, I pointed him to sources that said it can run as stand-alone.  He located the exectuable and double-clicked on it.  Lo and behold, it opened up as a stand-alone and seemingly works fine.

The others in the collection have executables there too so I'm thinking that they can all run as stand-alone.  He's only tried HDR Efex though.

-- hide signature --

JPEG Shooter
galleries at: http://www.pbase.com/fotogrfr

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Skip
Senior MemberPosts: 1,802Gear list
Like?
In reply to _Fotogrfr_, Apr 15, 2013

The others in the collection have executables there too so I'm thinking that they can all run as stand-alone.  He's only tried HDR Efex though.

I have used a couple of them as stand-alones on my iMac. One of them, I forget which it was, had no obvious way of opening a file. It's pretty clear that the teams writing these programs were not very well coordinated. Anyway my point is that I finally got the program to run the old fashioned way by dragging the photo icon from the desktop onto the program icon on the dock. I probably hadn't started a program that way in over two years.

Skip's gear list:Skip's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Sony a77 II
Toermalijn
Forum ProPosts: 12,765Gear list
Like?
In reply to SantaFeBill, Apr 15, 2013

SantaFeBill wrote:

Can the apps in this version be used as stand-alones, following Jason ODell's instructions, or does this version only install and function if you have one of the stated programs?

I know, I could just try it. But I'm under some close deadlines on other projects, and my experience has been that, if something doesn't go just right, time multiples as you try to figure out why and how to fix. So I'd appreciate knowing in advance if it's not going to work.

Thanks.

I tested all the stand alone versions and can confirm that they all work as a stand alone.

SantaFeBill
Senior MemberPosts: 2,088
Like?
Re: Thanks Very Much to All (nt)
In reply to SantaFeBill, Apr 16, 2013

SantaFeBill

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads