D7100 substantially better AF than D7000??

Started Apr 14, 2013 | Discussions
Gene Goodman
Regular MemberPosts: 154Gear list
Like?
D7100 substantially better AF than D7000??
Apr 14, 2013

Hi D7100 usersl;

Generally a happy D7000 owner (2 1/3 years coming from a D80).  My main problem is AF consistency.  I find that focus is spot on, then not.  I fine tune and come up with one value,  then then a week later its a different value,  example from 0 to -6,  or -8 to -14.  Then after fine tuning, I do a portrait focused on 1 eye, and it back focuses!!  Of course this is not ALL the time, and many shots are very accurate, then not??   My D7000 DOES NOT have any left/right focus problems.

For fine tuning I have kept light (and color of light) consistent.

If a D7100 would be substantially better in AF consistency, then I would upgrade.  I do not need high buffer speed or frame rates, an not concerned that shadows may have streaking/banding/noise, or that I will not get an ISO lift.

Reading the posts, it seems that 1/2+ of you D7100 users say the AF if GREAT, but a good number also say that it is inconsistent.  To be sure, I am not talking about speed of focus, just CONSISTENCY and ACCURACY.

So what has been your experience with AF consistency from D7000 to D7100

Thanks;

Gene

Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon D80
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 16,238
Like?
side by side
In reply to Gene Goodman, Apr 14, 2013

Gene Goodman wrote:

Hi D7100 usersl;

Generally a happy D7000 owner (2 1/3 years coming from a D80).  My main problem is AF consistency.  I find that focus is spot on, then not.  I fine tune and come up with one value,  then then a week later its a different value,  example from 0 to -6,  or -8 to -14.  Then after fine tuning, I do a portrait focused on 1 eye, and it back focuses!!  Of course this is not ALL the time, and many shots are very accurate, then not??

This should not be the case. What method did you use to determine your AF-Fine tune value? Other things that can affect the result are light temp if using certain lenses. What AF mode and AF-Area mode do you most often use?

For fine tuning I have kept light (and color of light) consistent.

What target and what method?

If a D7100 would be substantially better in AF consistency, then I would upgrade.  I do not need high buffer speed or frame rates, an not concerned that shadows may have streaking/banding/noise, or that I will not get an ISO lift.

Most are finding it very good with focus...but I also find my D7K very good and very consistent as well. I suspect the D7100 to be a bit better but not blow the doors off better. I tested both side by side this week and found the D7100 better when the light gets dimmer than the D7K can lock in. D7100 seemed able to track slightly more accurate in AF-Area mode 3D as well. In Normal and low light...my copy was as accurate/consistent as the D7100 I was using but I only compared in 9pt, single, and AF-ON. The D7100 I test seemed a fine sample. I would certainly recommend that body.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gene Goodman
Regular MemberPosts: 154Gear list
Like?
Re: side by side
In reply to Mako2011, Apr 14, 2013

All fine tune tests done with AF-s single point using either a  typical fine tune chart,  or on a well defined flat subject and then varying fine tune amounts to see which were sharper.  Typically I take about 4 shots/test,  2 starting focus further out, then 2 starting with focus on the closer side.   I did sent the camera back to Nikon  -  on first "repair" the did say they replaced a part,  2nd time was just adjusted.  most shots at 1/320 sec exposure and all in similar lighting.  Done many times with a number of diff lens.  Pls note I am not bashing the camera,  in all other respects I am a happy camper, just wondering if D7100 will be particulary better  -  as you said, D7100,  for  you,  is better, but not by a great amount.

Thanks Mako

Gene

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 16,238
Like?
jsut helping
In reply to Gene Goodman, Apr 14, 2013

Gene Goodman wrote:

All fine tune tests done with AF-s single point using either a  typical fine tune chart,  or on a well defined flat subject and then varying fine tune amounts to see which were sharper.  Typically I take about 4 shots/test,  2 starting focus further out, then 2 starting with focus on the closer side.   I did sent the camera back to Nikon  -  on first "repair" the did say they replaced a part,  2nd time was just adjusted.  most shots at 1/320 sec exposure and all in similar lighting.  Done many times with a number of diff lens.  Pls note I am not bashing the camera,  in all other respects I am a happy camper, just wondering if D7100 will be particulary better  -  as you said, D7100,  for  you,  is better, but not by a great amount.

Thanks Mako

Gene

Never thought any bashing going on at all. Just hoping to help in some way. Be sure you're not using slanted charts. They can ruin everything. Horshack's DotTune method is amazingly accurate and a good cross check as well.

DotTune Video

I thought the D7100 to be very good. It's build quality seemed just a tad better as well and I found it fit my hand better. Small things make a world of difference. Sell the D7K and Buy the D7100 and it's not that costly.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,729
Like?
Re: D7100 substantially better AF than D7000??
In reply to Gene Goodman, Apr 14, 2013

My D7000 locked focus instantly every time.  No complaints ever.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 16,238
Like?
update
In reply to toomanycanons, Apr 14, 2013

toomanycanons wrote:

My D7000 locked focus instantly every time.  No complaints ever.

My keeper rate though seems to go way down as my intake of whisky goes up. Wonder if a firmware update might fix that

-- hide signature --

--
My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
herbymel
Senior MemberPosts: 4,002Gear list
Like?
Re: update
In reply to Mako2011, Apr 14, 2013

Does it matter what you're drinking, Whiskey opposed to Cognac or Vodka? So any plans on selling your D7000 now to make an upgrade?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,729
Like?
Re: update
In reply to herbymel, Apr 14, 2013

herbymel wrote:

Does it matter what you're drinking, Whiskey opposed to Cognac or Vodka? So any plans on selling your D7000 now to make an upgrade?

Vodka ups your keeper rate.  I thought everyone knew that.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
herbymel
Senior MemberPosts: 4,002Gear list
Like?
Re: update
In reply to toomanycanons, Apr 14, 2013

toomanycanons wrote:

herbymel wrote:

Does it matter what you're drinking, Whiskey opposed to Cognac or Vodka? So any plans on selling your D7000 now to make an upgrade?

Vodka ups your keeper rate.  I thought everyone knew that.

I thought that was only at the bar.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gene Goodman
Regular MemberPosts: 154Gear list
Like?
Re: update
In reply to herbymel, Apr 14, 2013

Hate to break in on the whisky/vodka/cognac and at home versus the bar discussion, BUT yes, if I bought a D7100, I would sell the D7k.   Speed of focus has never been an issue, except sometimes with the 60mm f2.8 macro.   Its all about being consistent

Thanks all

Gene

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 16,238
Like?
not me
In reply to herbymel, Apr 15, 2013

herbymel wrote:

Does it matter what you're drinking, Whiskey opposed to Cognac or Vodka? So any plans on selling your D7000 now to make an upgrade?

Big diff...friuty drinks make me giggle so there's added camera shake : )

Not going to upgrade unless I have to have a back-up (D5100 may work just fine for that). It does seem a better camera in all ways (with the exception of shadows leeway) but much less a jump than the D90 to D7000 seemed. Resolution can make a dif for some and I could see that for certain types of photography. In my case I prefer the ability to push the D7K shadows vs the greater resolution of the D7100. Anybody coming from a D90 or later though...the D7100 is a truly amazing camera at that price point. If something bad happens to my D7000 I'll jump to the D7100 without hesitation. If I when the lotto I'll add a D4 as well and drinks for everyone : )

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 16,238
Like?
no real...
In reply to Gene Goodman, Apr 15, 2013

Gene Goodman wrote:

Hate to break in on the whisky/vodka/cognac and at home versus the bar discussion, BUT yes, if I bought a D7100, I would sell the D7k.   Speed of focus has never been an issue, except sometimes with the 60mm f2.8 macro.   Its all about being consistent

Thanks all

Gene

If your current body is a little off and a bit inconsistent...and you get a fair price for it... I see no real reason not to move to the D7100.  Good Luck!

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
anotherMike
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,150
Like?
Re: D7100 substantially better AF than D7000??
In reply to Gene Goodman, Apr 15, 2013

I'm only one data point, but when I had a D7000 as my backup cam, it struggled to achieve consistent focus in the studio under reasonably decent modelling lights. That was simply inexcusable. I've owned D100, D70, D2X, D80, D90, D300, and D700 bodies and none of those ever gave me anywhere the issues that the D7000 did. Same studio, same lights, same modelling lights. Outdoors the D7000 was fine. So I sold the D7000. I shoot a D800E primarily and still have a D700 around, and recently picked up the D7100. In the same studio, same lights, same modelling lights, same type of subject matter and distance, the D7100 has never struggled anywhere like my D7000 did. I personally think the better AF system is enough reason alone to upgrade, even beyond the better sensor and extra resolution.

Disclosure: I had an early D7000 from the first production runs. Perhaps they changed something later and others might have not had the same issue. For a while I tracked what other colleagues who owned the camera were experiencing (all early bodies) and all of them had the same struggles. All of us moved on from that body, so I can't say for certainty whether bodies suffered the same problems.

-m

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gene Goodman
Regular MemberPosts: 154Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 substantially better AF than D7000??
In reply to anotherMike, Apr 15, 2013

Thanks Another Mike;

I do have an early D7000, bought in Nov after a Sept introduction, and I do have inconsistent focus results  -  otherwise am not un happy.

Possibly time to change horses?

Gene

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JimPearce
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,405Gear list
Like?
A puzzle...
In reply to Gene Goodman, Apr 15, 2013

If the D7000 doesn't struggle to focus in challenging situations, where are all of those great D7000 wildlife shots? We know that a lot of wildlife shooters have D7000s.

-- hide signature --

Jim

 JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 16,238
Like?
first puzzle...
In reply to JimPearce, Apr 15, 2013

JimPearce wrote:

If the D7000 doesn't struggle to focus in challenging situations, where are all of those great D7000 wildlife shots? We know that a lot of wildlife shooters have D7000s.

Was this your first puzzle?

solved puzzle

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 16,238
Like?
Nope
In reply to JimPearce, Apr 15, 2013

JimPearce wrote:

http://www.google.com/search?q=d7000+wildlife+photography&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=81hrUfO3Is7qiQKowYHQDw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1643&bih=1050#imgrc=5hWwFr6n2i8ziM%3A%3B-kdbJ5bVPBcKoM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fimg143.imageshack.us%252Fimg143%252F774%252Fdsc04290xx1024qc6.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.dpreview.com%252Fforums%252Fthread%252F2225581%3B1024%3B768

-- hide signature --

Jim

I be thinking your using a kindle to view pics or your puzzle solving skills are rusty : )

My Fav

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JimPearce
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,405Gear list
Like?
Could be manual focus...
In reply to Mako2011, Apr 15, 2013

Lots of time when the big cats are just hanging out at the zoo.

-- hide signature --

Jim

 JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,871Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 substantially better AF than D7000??
In reply to anotherMike, Apr 15, 2013

anotherMike wrote:

I'm only one data point, but when I had a D7000 as my backup cam, it struggled to achieve consistent focus in the studio under reasonably decent modelling lights. That was simply inexcusable. I've owned D100, D70, D2X, D80, D90, D300, and D700 bodies and none of those ever gave me anywhere the issues that the D7000 did. Same studio, same lights, same modelling lights. Outdoors the D7000 was fine. So I sold the D7000. I shoot a D800E primarily and still have a D700 around, and recently picked up the D7100. In the same studio, same lights, same modelling lights, same type of subject matter and distance, the D7100 has never struggled anywhere like my D7000 did. I personally think the better AF system is enough reason alone to upgrade, even beyond the better sensor and extra resolution.

Disclosure: I had an early D7000 from the first production runs. Perhaps they changed something later and others might have not had the same issue. For a while I tracked what other colleagues who owned the camera were experiencing (all early bodies) and all of them had the same struggles. All of us moved on from that body, so I can't say for certainty whether bodies suffered the same problems.

-m

I have an early production D7000 bought in November 2010 and I only found some inconsistent focusing in AF-A mode, so I stopped using it. In AF-S or AF-C my D7000 AF is very consistent and accurate, even in lower light. I find the D7000 focus is more reliable than my D5100, which I believe has the same focus module as the D90, so for whatever reason, my experience with the D7000 AF is different from yours. It is curious that there is somuch apparent disparity in experience with the D7000 auto focusing module and also interesting that Nikon put the same AF module in two other DSLR bodies (D600, D5200), which do not appear to have nearly as many AF complaints as the D7000. Why the difference? That's anybody's guess.

-- hide signature --

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain! The Great Oz has spoken!"
- Jon

 jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads