Metabones Speed Booster for Pentax K lenses?

Started Apr 14, 2013 | Discussions
Ari Aikomus
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,996
Like?
Re: Argumentum ad hominem
In reply to KingDon, Apr 17, 2013

KingDon wrote:

You and ET2 are the same person?!?

Ari Aikomus wrote:

Again BS. Learn your lesson before giving instructions.

You don't know that aperture lever of Pentax K lenses may hit the adapter when you try mount Pentax K lens with EOS adapter to the

Good thing you added the word "may". Buy the secondary K-mount adapter where the  aperture lever may not hit the the optics.

What I said still stands.

There is no logical reason why you should not be able to stack two adapters, one Speedbooster and another one on top that is glassless.   All you need is Speedbooster adapter that has smaller flange distance than the K-mount.

What about LensContarex  Speedbooster? What's the flange distance on that mount? If it's smaller than Canon, that should be plenty of space on top for K-mount glassless adapter.

easy to find Contarex lens to EOS adapter...?

-- hide signature --

http://koti.mbnet.fi/tidis/AAikomus.jpg
- Ari Aikomus -
'Why should I feel lonely ? is not our planet in the Milky way?'

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ari Aikomus
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,996
Like?
Re: Argumentum ad hominem
In reply to Ari Aikomus, Apr 17, 2013

Ari Aikomus wrote:

KingDon wrote:

You and ET2 are the same person?!?

Ari Aikomus wrote:

Again BS. Learn your lesson before giving instructions.

You don't know that aperture lever of Pentax K lenses may hit the adapter when you try mount Pentax K lens with EOS adapter to the

Good thing you added the word "may". Buy the secondary K-mount adapter where the  aperture lever may not hit the the optics.

What I said still stands.

There is no logical reason why you should not be able to stack two adapters, one Speedbooster and another one on top that is glassless.   All you need is Speedbooster adapter that has smaller flange distance than the K-mount.

What about LensContarex  Speedbooster? What's the flange distance on that mount? If it's smaller than Canon, that should be plenty of space on top for K-mount glassless adapter.

easy to find Contarex lens to EOS adapter...?

I meant Pentax K lens to Contarex, of course...It's almost impossible to find such a adapter, I would say...

-- hide signature --

http://koti.mbnet.fi/tidis/AAikomus.jpg
- Ari Aikomus -
'Why should I feel lonely ? is not our planet in the Milky way?'

-- hide signature --

http://koti.mbnet.fi/tidis/AAikomus.jpg
- Ari Aikomus -
'Why should I feel lonely ? is not our planet in the Milky way?'

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KingDon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,131
Like?
Re: Argumentum ad hominem
In reply to Ari Aikomus, Apr 17, 2013

Ari Aikomus wrote:

Ari Aikomus wrote:

KingDon wrote:

You and ET2 are the same person?!?

Ari Aikomus wrote:

Again BS. Learn your lesson before giving instructions.

You don't know that aperture lever of Pentax K lenses may hit the adapter when you try mount Pentax K lens with EOS adapter to the

Good thing you added the word "may". Buy the secondary K-mount adapter where the  aperture lever may not hit the the optics.

What I said still stands.

There is no logical reason why you should not be able to stack two adapters, one Speedbooster and another one on top that is glassless.   All you need is Speedbooster adapter that has smaller flange distance than the K-mount.

What about LensContarex  Speedbooster? What's the flange distance on that mount? If it's smaller than Canon, that should be plenty of space on top for K-mount glassless adapter.

easy to find Contarex lens to EOS adapter...?

I meant Pentax K lens to Contarex, of course...It's almost impossible to find such a adapter, I would say.

Sorry it won't anyway as Contarex has larger flange than the Kmount

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cyberstudio
Regular MemberPosts: 369
Like?
Re: Bo-Ming ...
In reply to Ari Aikomus, Apr 17, 2013

We were wondering if Pentax users want a more affordable, quicker-to-market product without an integral aperture ring, or a slightly more expensive product with an integral aperture ring which would take longer to ship.

The Nikon F product is behind schedule because G lens without aperture ring is important to support but it takes time to implement it right.

Before you say some Chinese adapter sold on eBay already do that so it must be simple to do, well, knowing those folks at Metabones all too well, they are not going to take shortcuts. It is either a real aperture ring, with real markings that accurately sets the aperture, or no aperture ring at all. A feature is not merely a check mark "yes, it's supported", but it has to be practical and usable out in the field. Doing the real usable aperture ring is not easy, and it takes time. (And the reason why Nikon F/G is behind schedule.)

-- hide signature --

Bo-Ming / conurus

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MightyMike
Forum ProPosts: 30,468
Like?
Re: Argumentum ad hominem
In reply to KingDon, Apr 17, 2013

KingDon wrote:

Ari Aikomus wrote:

Again BS. Learn your lesson before giving instructions.

You don't know that aperture lever of Pentax K lenses may hit the adapter when you try mount Pentax K lens with EOS adapter to the

Good thing you added the word "may". Buy the secondary K-mount adapter where the  aperture lever may not hit the the optics.

What I said still stands.  There is no logical reason why you should not be able to stack two adapters, one Speedbooster and another one on top that is glassless.   All you need is Speedbooster adapter that has smaller flange distance than the K-mount.

What about Contarex Lens Speedbooster? What's the flange distance on that mount? If it's smaller than Canon, that should be plenty of space on top for K-mount glassless adapter.

"What I said still stands." So KingDon and ET2 are the same person considering that is KingDon's first post in this thread and the back and forth line of discussion was between Ari Aikomus and ET2... looks like a slip-up to me, smells like someone with 2 accounts, sounds like a violation of the forum rules. But then that is up to the moderators to decide.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KingDon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,131
Like?
Re: Argumentum ad hominem
In reply to MightyMike, Apr 17, 2013

MightyMike wrote:

KingDon wrote:

Ari Aikomus wrote:

Again BS. Learn your lesson before giving instructions.

You don't know that aperture lever of Pentax K lenses may hit the adapter when you try mount Pentax K lens with EOS adapter to the

Good thing you added the word "may". Buy the secondary K-mount adapter where the  aperture lever may not hit the the optics.

What I said still stands.  There is no logical reason why you should not be able to stack two adapters, one Speedbooster and another one on top that is glassless.   All you need is Speedbooster adapter that has smaller flange distance than the K-mount.

What about Contarex Lens Speedbooster? What's the flange distance on that mount? If it's smaller than Canon, that should be plenty of space on top for K-mount glassless adapter.

"What I said still stands." So KingDon and ET2 are the same person considering that is KingDon's first post in this thread and the back and forth line of discussion was between Ari Aikomus and ET2.

It was a typo. I wrote a paragraph on why it won't work, then deleted that part, forgetting to delete "What I said still stands."

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,059
Like?
Re: Bo-Ming ...
In reply to cyberstudio, Apr 17, 2013

cyberstudio wrote:

We were wondering if Pentax users want a more affordable, quicker-to-market product without an integral aperture ring, or a slightly more expensive product with an integral aperture ring which would take longer to ship.

The Nikon F product is behind schedule because G lens without aperture ring is important to support but it takes time to implement it right.

Before you say some Chinese adapter sold on eBay already do that so it must be simple to do, well, knowing those folks at Metabones all too well, they are not going to take shortcuts. It is either a real aperture ring, with real markings that accurately sets the aperture, or no aperture ring at all. A feature is not merely a check mark "yes, it's supported", but it has to be practical and usable out in the field. Doing the real usable aperture ring is not easy, and it takes time. (And the reason why Nikon F/G is behind schedule.)

There are only a hand full of lenses without aperture rings that probably would be used, so it seems smarter to make the simpler version as soon as possible and then make the more expensive and more complicated version later, if at all.

Thank you
Russell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kuuan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,399Gear list
Like?
Re: Bo-Ming ...
In reply to cyberstudio, Apr 17, 2013

so great to have you here

cyberstudio wrote:

We were wondering if Pentax users want a more affordable, quicker-to-market product without an integral aperture ring, or a slightly more expensive product with an integral aperture ring which would take longer to ship.

The Nikon F product is behind schedule because G lens without aperture ring is important to support but it takes time to implement it right.

Before you say some Chinese adapter sold on eBay already do that so it must be simple to do, well, knowing those folks at Metabones all too well, they are not going to take shortcuts. It is either a real aperture ring, with real markings that accurately sets the aperture, or no aperture ring at all. A feature is not merely a check mark "yes, it's supported", but it has to be practical and usable out in the field. Doing the real usable aperture ring is not easy, and it takes time. (And the reason why Nikon F/G is behind schedule.)

-- hide signature --

Bo-Ming / conurus

so great to have you here

definitely I would prefer a more affordable, quicker to market Pentax K speedbooster without the aperture ring!

- only DA lenses designed for APS-C don't have an aperture ting, well, there are a few FF FA-J lenses that don't have one neither but those are hardly the kind of lenses that mirrorless camera users are eager to use with a speedbooster

- that is pretty much all Pentax FF lenses have an aperture ring!

- Pentax FF lenses have quite a following specially by people who like manual lenses, their build quality and handling are excellent! Most people who use manual Pentax lenses already have a M42 to K mount adapter. That is A Pentax K speedbooster would work as a M42 speedbooster too! M42 Takumar lenses have even a stronger following again!

- Metabones could easily offer a M42 > NEX speedbooster for Takumar, old Carl Zeiss Jena and all the other great M42 lenses at the same time as the Pentax K speedbooster. Register distance is exactly the same, it could be exactly the same build, only the mount would have to be different.

PLEASE make an affordable Pentax K to NEX speedbooster!

-- hide signature --

photos mostly taken with manual lenses on Sony NEX5N, Pentax K-x and *istDs: http://flickr.com/photos/kuuan/

 kuuan's gear list:kuuan's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Pentax *ist DS Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony Alpha NEX-5N
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ari Aikomus
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,996
Like?
uuups...
In reply to KingDon, Apr 17, 2013

KingDon wrote:

MightyMike wrote:

KingDon wrote:

Ari Aikomus wrote:

Again BS. Learn your lesson before giving instructions.

You don't know that aperture lever of Pentax K lenses may hit the adapter when you try mount Pentax K lens with EOS adapter to the

Good thing you added the word "may". Buy the secondary K-mount adapter where the  aperture lever may not hit the the optics.

What I said still stands.  There is no logical reason why you should not be able to stack two adapters, one Speedbooster and another one on top that is glassless.   All you need is Speedbooster adapter that has smaller flange distance than the K-mount.

What about Contarex Lens Speedbooster? What's the flange distance on that mount? If it's smaller than Canon, that should be plenty of space on top for K-mount glassless adapter.

"What I said still stands." So KingDon and ET2 are the same person considering that is KingDon's first post in this thread and the back and forth line of discussion was between Ari Aikomus and ET2.

It was a typo. I wrote a paragraph on why it won't work, then deleted that part, forgetting to delete "What I said still stands."

lol.

-- hide signature --

http://koti.mbnet.fi/tidis/AAikomus.jpg
- Ari Aikomus -
'Why should I feel lonely ? is not our planet in the Milky way?'

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,382Gear list
Like?
Re: Bo-Ming ...
In reply to cyberstudio, Apr 17, 2013

cyberstudio wrote:

We were wondering if Pentax users want a more affordable, quicker-to-market product without an integral aperture ring, or a slightly more expensive product with an integral aperture ring which would take longer to ship.

I think the idea of a quicker-to-market speedbooster-type adapter for Pentax K mount without an integral aperture ring would make sense, given the full-frame Pentax lenses will have aperture rings.  I'd certainly welcome such a thing as I do have a fair number of K-mount Pentax full frame lenses I'd love to take advantage on my NEX.  I use a cheap K-to-NEX adapter now, but it limits the usefulness of the 50mm to 100mm lenses because of the APS-C crop factor.  The 28mm lens comes in handy as a 'standard focal' lens, but I'd prefer to have it perform as a 28mm...the 135mm+ lenses work OK with the APS-C crop because the longer reach is often preferred anyway, but I could also enjoy the benefits of a 135mm lens working like full-frame as a nice portrait distance lens or street shooting lens.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

 zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ari Aikomus
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,996
Like?
Re: Bo-Ming ...
In reply to zackiedawg, Apr 17, 2013

zackiedawg wrote:

cyberstudio wrote:

We were wondering if Pentax users want a more affordable, quicker-to-market product without an integral aperture ring, or a slightly more expensive product with an integral aperture ring which would take longer to ship.

I think the idea of a quicker-to-market speedbooster-type adapter for Pentax K mount without an integral aperture ring would make sense,

I agree. Maybe its better to get speedbooster sooner than waiting for a semi-automatic version for DA lenses - for an indefinite period of time.

Ari

-- hide signature --

http://koti.mbnet.fi/tidis/AAikomus.jpg
- Ari Aikomus -
'Why should I feel lonely ? is not our planet in the Milky way?'

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
temama
Regular MemberPosts: 361
Like?
How soon!?
In reply to cyberstudio, Apr 18, 2013

cyberstudio wrote:

We were wondering if Pentax users want a more affordable, quicker-to-market product without an integral aperture ring,

How soon is schedule of "quicker-to-market product" ?

or a slightly more expensive product with an integral aperture ring which would take longer to ship.

The Nikon F product is behind schedule because G lens without aperture ring is important to support but it takes time to implement it right.

Before you say some Chinese adapter sold on eBay already do that so it must be simple to do, well, knowing those folks at Metabones all too well, they are not going to take shortcuts. It is either a real aperture ring, with real markings that accurately sets the aperture, or no aperture ring at all. A feature is not merely a check mark "yes, it's supported", but it has to be practical and usable out in the field. Doing the real usable aperture ring is not easy, and it takes time. (And the reason why Nikon F/G is behind schedule.)

-- hide signature --

Bo-Ming / conurus

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ursinho73
Regular MemberPosts: 418
Like?
Re: Metabones Speed Booster for Pentax K lenses?
In reply to Ari Aikomus, Apr 20, 2013

Ari Aikomus wrote:

Has anyone heard if the Metabones would be planned speedbooster adapter for Pentax K lenses? For example Pentax K--> NEX speedbooster ?

Ari, this ain't no Metabones product but you might be interested nontheless:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/first-pictures-of-the-cheap-chinese-speed-booster-alternative-to-ship-from-may-already/

Regards,

Hannes

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ari Aikomus
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,996
Like?
Here is my SB test thread...
In reply to Ari Aikomus, Apr 21, 2013

...If you are interested.

SpeedBooster tests with different lenses

...soon I will test some Super-Takumars with NEX.

cheers,

Ari

-- hide signature --

http://koti.mbnet.fi/tidis/AAikomus.jpg
- Ari Aikomus -
'Why should I feel lonely ? is not our planet in the Milky way?'

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads