FZ200 at the Farm Shop - 4 pics - and settings (Oh no, not settings . . . )

Started Apr 14, 2013 | Discussions
Mikedigi
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,433Gear list
Like?
Apr 14, 2013

1]  100  ISO:

2]  200 ISO:

3]  400 ISO:

4]  100 ISO:

No PP, iRes On, Standard photo style, Co and Sa 0, Sh -1, Nr -2, AWB 3 clicks left.

I quite like these settings, but when surface detail (interesting stonework, etc) is more important than edge sharpness, I might use the same settings with iRes Off.

I am staying with JPEGs and am not about to use RAW, it's just not me, I guess.  I'm letting the Silkypix Pro 5 free trial expire.

Mike

Mikedigi's gear list:Mikedigi's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rodger1943
Senior MemberPosts: 3,229Gear list
Like?
Re: FZ200 at the Farm Shop - 4 pics - and settings (Oh no, not settings . . . )
In reply to Mikedigi, Apr 15, 2013

Thanks for the images and settings Mike. I still haven't gone to those settings yet, but I might.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

Rodger1943's gear list:Rodger1943's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ronomy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,289Gear list
Like?

Hi Mike,

I think everyone is bored with our quest for the Holy Grail settings with this camera!  LOL

I am still with you.  I will use these settings with brightly lit images but will probably use NR-1, SH-2 with ires on in lower light when shutter speeds drop below 1/125.  As light levels drop the images get grainy and lowering sharpness helps reduce grain.  Also the lower light images need more noise reduction too.  I tend to see more noise when using full 600mm zoom so will probably use the Nr-1, SH-2 settings for my long zoom images. http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51288573   For wide field scenery images in sunlight using ISO 100-200 I will use IRES off, NR -2 and SH -1 which yield the lowest level of smudging.  I have these settings all stored in my custom settings so I can easily change between them.

Ron

Ronomy's gear list:Ronomy's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
capnblinski
Contributing MemberPosts: 530Gear list
Like?

Yes - more settings and more comparisons and more dissertations and more still!

I'm trying to figure out my FZ200 while wondering - what would H. Cartier-Bresson make of one?

- dave

capnblinski's gear list:capnblinski's gear list
capnblinski
Contributing MemberPosts: 530Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ronomy, Apr 15, 2013

Ronomy wrote:

Hi Mike,

I think everyone is bored with our quest for the Holy Grail settings with this camera!  LOL

I am still with you.  I will use these settings with brightly lit images but will probably use NR-1, SH-2 with ires on in lower light when shutter speeds drop below 1/125.  As light levels drop the images get grainy and lowering sharpness helps reduce grain.  Also the lower light images need more noise reduction too.  I tend to see more noise when using full 600mm zoom so will probably use the Nr-1, SH-2 settings for my long zoom images. http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51288573   For wide field scenery images in sunlight using ISO 100-200 I will use IRES off, NR -2 and SH -1 which yield the lowest level of smudging.  I have these settings all stored in my custom settings so I can easily change between them.

Ron

And down will shine a bright light where the best settings will be revealed to all  
I very much appreciate everyone's input since this camera came out last fall -- Ron, Rudy, Sherm  +

capnblinski's gear list:capnblinski's gear list
Ruth Lipnick
Regular MemberPosts: 204
Like?

I love these images. I'm from NYC but a farm girl at heart. Still a newbie. Haven't figured out ires yet but will get to it. Meanwhile, great pictures.

-- hide signature --

Ruth

kkardster
Senior MemberPosts: 4,143Gear list
Like?

Nice photos Mike!  Have you given up making Vivid make you Happy?

I've caught a couple critters but with Vivid - might have to go back to Standard:

ISO 100, Vivid, NR -1, SH -1

ISO 100, Vivid, NR -1, SH +1

ISO 100, Vivid, NR -1, SH -1 

And/or would I do better with NR -2?

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Mikedigi
Like?

I wrote:

No PP, iRes On, Standard photo style, Co and Sa 0, Sh -1, Nr -2, AWB 3 clicks left.

I quite like these settings, but when surface detail (interesting stonework, etc) is more important than edge sharpness, I might use the same settings with iRes Off.

I am staying with JPEGs and am not about to use RAW, it's just not me, I guess.  I'm letting the Silkypix Pro 5 free trial expire.

Hey, I am elated that there are still 5 people on the Planet who a) have not thrown the FZ200 on the skip and b) will still hit a keyboard to talk about settings.

Maybe the FZ200 will be remembered mainly for the Holy Grail Quest it inspired - the Secret Settings, as elusive as the Loch Ness Monster, the Da Vinci Code, the Shroud of Turin.

Mike

Mikedigi
Like?
In reply to Rodger1943, Apr 15, 2013

Rodger1943 wrote:

Thanks for the images and settings Mike. I still haven't gone to those settings yet, but I might.

Thanks Rodger, birding is more specialized, and I remember your higher Sh.

Could you please just remind us of your current settings?

Mike

Mikedigi
Like?
In reply to Ronomy, Apr 15, 2013

Ronomy wrote:

Hi Mike,

Well, there are still 6 people, if I include me, on the Planet who will still hit the keyboard on this subject! 

I am still with you.  I will use these settings with brightly lit images but will probably use NR-1, SH-2 with ires on in lower light when shutter speeds drop below 1/125.

I agree, but for people who want to leave one set of settings in place,  . . . . ?

The differences we are talking about may not be big enough for most people to worry about, they tend to be more visible at 60%-100% view, and not too many people go there?

Re shutter speed, pic 2 was 200 ISO, 1/60 sec, pic 3 was 400 ISO, 1/30 sec, and I would not bother to PP either of them, but that's just me I guess.

As light levels drop the images get grainy and lowering sharpness helps reduce grain.  Also the lower light images need more noise reduction too.  I tend to see more noise when using full 600mm zoom so will probably use the Nr-1, SH-2 settings for my long zoom images. http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51288573   For wide field scenery images in sunlight using ISO 100-200 I will use IRES off, NR -2 and SH -1 which yield the lowest level of smudging.  I have these settings all stored in my custom settings so I can easily change between them.

I'm with you, except that on the distant trees, mud and stones you showed me, iRes Off gave clearly lower edge sharpnesses.

As I said, I might go iRes Off where interesting, detailed surfaces like old stonework are more important than edge sharpness.

And Vivid when all is drab and I feel like it!

Aw shucks, this is becoming a discussion on The Holy Settings, again . . . 

Mike

SirLataxe
Senior MemberPosts: 1,294
Like?

Mikedigi wrote:

I wrote:

Hey, I am elated that there are still 5 people on the Planet who a) have not thrown the FZ200 on the skip and b) will still hit a keyboard to talk about settings.

Maybe the FZ200 will be remembered mainly for the Holy Grail Quest it inspired - the Secret Settings, as elusive as the Loch Ness Monster, the Da Vinci Code, the Shroud of Turin.

Mike

Sir Digit,

Still at the knob-twiddlin' I see. 

I would be grateful if one of you jpeg-mad lads would answer me this question (which I keep asking but never get an answer to):

Are you looking for "the single & best" set of FZ200 settings for NR, sharpness et al; or are you trying to find different permutations of these controls to suit different photographic subjects & scenarios?

My impression is that most seem to be seeking the "single-best" collection of settings for all occassions. This seems to be connected to that strange meme "I don't want to do any post processing" (or any pre-processing either, it seems - apart from a one-time setting of the camera controls in stone for all future photos).

However, I notice that Mr Ronomy acually varies his camera settings to suit different situations!  I think this is the first time I've read of someone doing this.  If one is determined to be a jpeg-fellah, this seems a more resonable approach.  After all, what did Mr Panasonic put those camera-jpeg controls there for, eh, eh?

Now, I realise all this blether of mine will cause you to roll up your eyes to heaven or even put your fingers in your ears and go, "Lah lah lah". But I feel compelled to tell you (once more) that there is no single collection of camera settings (or RAW development settings) that will suit all photographic situations and all photographic subjects......  Well, unless you always take the same sort of pics in the same sort of light (like that passport photo booth).

If I were a rude-boy, which I yam, I would ask you why you are being so paradoxically lazy (can't be bothered to post or even pre-process) whilst spending enormous amounts of effort trying to find camera jpeg engine control setting nirvana?

Perhaps this offer will be of interest to you:

If you pay me a fine fee plus expenses, I will go about taking your photos for you inclusive of all the necessary PPing to make them nice.  It will be a good & lucrative hobby for me and you could find a new machine to obsess with.  For example, there may be a motorcar that goes everywhere you want with a single setting for accelerator depression and steering wheel orientation!

SirLataxe, wondering if he could make all his cabinets with just one axe. (No, he couldn't).

Hatstand
Contributing MemberPosts: 716
Like?
In reply to SirLataxe, Apr 15, 2013

SirLataxe wrote:

Are you looking for "the single & best" set of FZ200 settings for NR, sharpness et al; or are you trying to find different permutations of these controls to suit different photographic subjects & scenarios?

Speaking only for myself...

Although I have little (OK, nothing :-P) to contribute, I follow all these "settings" threads with interest. I am not looking for a single "one-size-fits-all" setup... rather a small collection of setups that a) suit my most often-encountered scenarios, and b) that I can instantly call up via the mode dial. ie. Tweaked defaults for the standard modes, and saved custom setups.

These threads save me a huge amount of testing, and I am extremely grateful to the selfless individuals who share their results here - I'm sure I am not the only one who appreciates this valuable service.

I never shoot RAW (really, can't be bothered), and I prefer to minimise PP... but any photos I share will always involve some PP. It might be as simple as reduce-and-sharpen to post on the web, tweaking curves, etc... but occasionally it might be something more sophisticated eg. HDR processing using exposure bracketed shots, stacking a 12-shot burst to increase detail and kill noise, etc.

Bearing in mind I that might end up spending some time on PP, I especially like to minimise haloes from in-camera sharpening, that may be exaggerated by PP, and I'll accept more noise (that I can fix somewhat in PP) if it means less smeared detail (that I can't fix in PP).

Having said that, probably 80% of my photos are just "we were here" snapshots, taken using iA. That is my basic "catch all" setup, and I'm generally happy with it - I'm not into pixel-peeping and I don't make giant prints.

Only the remaining 20% of my photos I deem worthy of some kind of pre/post effort. And even then, I want to do as much of the setup tweaks as I can in advance. It's great if I can just call up some suitable saved settings using only the mode dial... so when I'm out and about I just compose and take the shot - without spending time twiddling settings.

Mikedigi
Like?

SirLataxe wrote:

Sir Digit,

Still at the knob-twiddlin' I see. 

Sir Latex, it's a relief to get a further Epistle From Middle Earth - we were starting to wonder whether Something Had Happened To You.

I would be grateful if one of you jpeg-mad lads would answer me this question (which I keep asking but never get an answer to):

My impression is that most seem to be seeking the "single-best" collection of settings for all occassions. This seems to be connected to that strange meme "I don't want to do any post processing" (or any pre-processing either, it seems - apart from a one-time setting of the camera controls in stone for all future photos).

However, I notice that Mr Ronomy acually varies his camera settings to suit different situations!  I think this is the first time I've read of someone doing this.

Memory gets shorter as one gets older, and you are now older than the last time you wrote to us about this.  A few weeks ago, I was talking (to you as well) about adjusting JPEG settings to different situations.

But this camera's JPEG engiine is as Queer As A Clockwork Orange (but kind of likeable, if you have a strong constitution), and I have a series of pics of a motorbike in drab light at 400 ISO where the difference between -2 Sharpness and 0 Sharpness can be measured, slightly, in noise but hardly at all in Sharpness, and one has to view it at 50%-100% to notice much difference at all, and how many people want to go to 60-100%?

So there is some latitude available in settling on a simpler settings regime.

If one is determined to be a jpeg-fellah, this seems a more resonable approach.  After all, what did Mr Panasonic put those camera-jpeg controls there for, eh, eh?

Now, I realise all this blether of mine will cause you to roll up your eyes to heaven or even put your fingers in your ears and go, "Lah lah lah". But I feel compelled to tell you (once more) that there is no single collection of camera settings (or RAW development settings) that will suit all photographic situations and all photographic subjects......  Well, unless you always take the same sort of pics in the same sort of light (like that passport photo booth).

If I were a rude-boy, which I yam, I would ask you why you are being so paradoxically lazy (can't be bothered to post or even pre-process) whilst spending enormous amounts of effort trying to find camera jpeg engine control setting nirvana?

I am not.  I have formed the Pixel Peepers Anonymous Therapy Group (Chairman: Ronomy).

I do like the one set of settings I have mentioned in this thread . . . except, maybe, switching iRes off where surface detail is more important than edge sharpness, switching to Vivid when everything looks boring, or in other words, enjoying myself and not worrying about it too much.

I may one day ruin a JPEG and have no RAW file as a back-up, which I shall just have To Bear With Such Fortitude As I Can Muster.  But it's not The Black Death, and in the meantime I am greatly enjoying using the camera for what it was designed for, namely producing photos and not Do-It-Yourself Kits.

You mention motor cars below:  when you buy one, does it take you long to assemble it?

Perhaps this offer will be of interest to you:

If you pay me a fine fee plus expenses, I will go about taking your photos for you inclusive of all the necessary PPing to make them nice.  It will be a good & lucrative hobby for me and you could find a new machine to obsess with.  For example, there may be a motorcar that goes everywhere you want with a single setting for accelerator depression and steering wheel orientation!

I've got one already, I really ought to change it.

Re your offer, I don't remember anyone making me such a offer on the Forum before, although many members may have thought about it.

Unfortunately I am not in a financial position to assist your career in this way, and I regret that I am as unlikely to take up your kind offer as I am to pay for this free trial version of Silkypix Pro 5.

SirLataxe, wondering if he could make all his cabinets with just one axe. (No, he couldn't).

St Michael, who has the patience of a saint.

Rodger1943
Senior MemberPosts: 3,229Gear list
Like?

Mikedigi wrote:

Rodger1943 wrote:

Thanks Rodger, birding is more specialized, and I remember your higher Sh.

Could you please just remind us of your current settings?

Mike

Hi Mike,

I use "vivid" photostyle, Saturation and contrast both 0, sharpness +1 and NR -1. Ires is on.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

Rodger1943's gear list:Rodger1943's gear list
SirLataxe
Like?
In reply to Hatstand, Apr 15, 2013

Hatstand wrote:

Speaking only for myself...

Although I have little (OK, nothing :-P) to contribute, I follow all these "settings" threads with interest. I am not looking for a single "one-size-fits-all" setup... rather a small collection of setups that a) suit my most often-encountered scenarios, and b) that I can instantly call up via the mode dial. ie. Tweaked defaults for the standard modes, and saved custom setups.

That makes sense to me.  Long ago, when I first got a digital camera (a Canon G5) I too used jpegs and tried to find a small group of camera settings for various kinds of photo.  The Canon G5 allowed the saving of 2 of these setting-combinations to the C1 & C2 dial positions.  As you say, this saves a lot of time - and the FZ200 has four such "C-ustom" positions.

However, as I became familiar with digital photography attributes, I found that I needed a dozen or more different permutations of camera control settings.... to cover the various photographic conditions.  Eventually I discovered RAW and the ability to apply such settings (as many or as few as I liked) after rather than before taking the photo. And, of course, the dozens of RAW-engine equivalents to the camera dial "Custom" settings - the tastes, profiles or presets, as they are variously called. One click cooks the RAW files instantly to one of dozens of possible flavours.

These threads save me a huge amount of testing, and I am extremely grateful to the selfless individuals who share their results here - I'm sure I am not the only one who appreciates this valuable service.

Agreed - even I, a RAW-bore and pixel-peeping obsessive, find these threads to be useful, since the FZ200 does take very good jpegs when one gets the camera settings right.  My digs at St Michael are partly just sport (not yet illegal but probably will be soon, as it may be kruel).

But what I'm really trying to get at is an understanding of why there are all these camera settings for jpegs many of which seem of no practical use.  Does anyone ever use NR = +2, for example (or any +2s)?  If so, why, as it seems to degrade the images badly.

Which begs the question: why does Panasonic put these control values in and where is the manual to explain the photographic circumstances in which various of these values may or may not be appropriate?

I never shoot RAW (really, can't be bothered), and I prefer to minimise PP... but any photos I share will always involve some PP. It might be as simple as reduce-and-sharpen to post on the web, tweaking curves, etc... but occasionally it might be something more sophisticated eg. HDR processing using exposure bracketed shots, stacking a 12-shot burst to increase detail and kill noise, etc.

Well I always take RAW images (sometimes with a jpeg) as it's actually less bother to develop them than it is jpegs, especially if the image turns out not to be ideal.  I fear you have fallen for the pernicious "RAW is difficult & time-consuming" myth.  Did I mention those presets & profiles ("C" dial settings in disguise)? 

Bearing in mind I that might end up spending some time on PP, I especially like to minimise haloes from in-camera sharpening, that may be exaggerated by PP, and I'll accept more noise (that I can fix somewhat in PP) if it means less smeared detail (that I can't fix in PP).

What can I say?  I know:  "RAW; Silkypix V5".  Wunnerful at NR and sharpening. :->

Having said that, probably 80% of my photos are just "we were here" snapshots, taken using iA. That is my basic "catch all" setup, and I'm generally happy with it - I'm not into pixel-peeping and I don't make giant prints.

Each to his own; I'm the same with a Bicycle as with a camera, though - can't get on it without riding it at full tilt and to the limit of it's techie bits & pieces (and my heart rate).  I pass many a lad & lass just pootling along.  Of course, they are not all sweaty, tired-oot and fretting about the thigh-ache.  They also have time to look at the scenery.

Only the remaining 20% of my photos I deem worthy of some kind of pre/post effort. And even then, I want to do as much of the setup tweaks as I can in advance. It's great if I can just call up some suitable saved settings using only the mode dial... so when I'm out and about I just compose and take the shot - without spending time twiddling settings.

(Fetches out drum and well-worn drumstick once more).  You don't like twiddling before taking a photo?  RAW, my boy.  RAW!

SirLataxe, trying to avoid the FZ200 photo-styles menu too.

Hatstand
Like?

SirLataxe wrote:

Well I always take RAW images (sometimes with a jpeg) as it's actually less bother to develop them than it is jpegs, especially if the image turns out not to be ideal.  I fear you have fallen for the pernicious "RAW is difficult & time-consuming" myth.  Did I mention those presets & profiles ("C" dial settings in disguise)? 

You make a good case. There may indeed be some ancient prejudices at work - I was scarred by RAW back in the days when my old Canon 350D was Hot Stuff... but shooting RAW had serious implications for continuous/burst rates, and card space (cards were not cheap!)

And dealing with the RAW files later using the software of the day, was by no means something I considered easy or convenient.

Things are different now, and yet... old habits die hard. But I suppose I really ought to give it a try.

Airshows are among my "20%" events, and my first airshow of the season is at the end of this month... After that , you will either be vindicated and I will thank you for opening my eyes... or your name will be added to the definition of "dirt" in my dictionary, and I will be forced to trample you under my stallion of I-Was-Righteousness.

I wonder, which will it be?!

Hatstand
Like?
A little help please? (Shooting RAW with FZ200)

I will need to do some reading, before dipping my toe into the RAW pool... but in the meantime perhaps someone has the answers to a couple of questions? (SirLataxe, I'm lookng at you).

If you shoot RAW, and you preview the results on the rear screen... does it render using your current JPG settings? If so, and you change your JPG settings, does it then change how all your RAW shots appear in the preview?

If you shoot RAW+JPG, and you preview your shots... do you see every shot twice, as you navigate through them all? (ie. both the RAW shot, and the JPG shot?). Or do you only see one of them? If so, which one?

SirLataxe
Like?
Re: A little help please? (Shooting RAW with FZ200)

Hatstand wrote:

I will need to do some reading, before dipping my toe into the RAW pool... but in the meantime perhaps someone has the answers to a couple of questions? (SirLataxe, I'm lookng at you).

If you shoot RAW, and you preview the results on the rear screen... does it render using your current JPG settings? If so, and you change your JPG settings, does it then change how all your RAW shots appear in the preview?

If you shoot RAW+JPG, and you preview your shots... do you see every shot twice, as you navigate through them all? (ie. both the RAW shot, and the JPG shot?). Or do you only see one of them? If so, which one?

Mr Stand,

Those are good questions to which I (blushingly) admit I don't have the answers.

When one takes RAW-only, I presume the jpeg seen on the camera screen when previewed is the jpeg embedded in the RAW.  But how the camera develops it - the settings it uses - I don't know. Certainly it will use the camera-set WB and EV setting; but I know-not concerning NR, sharpening, saturation et al.

I do know that you can't change the look of this RAW-embedded jpeg with the camera controls, once the pic is taken - not with the FZ200, at least.  (Some posh DSLRs do allow in-camera development of the RAW file with the camera controls into different jpeg renderings).

When one takes a RAW + jpeg then previews, the captured image is seen only once.  What is seen - the RAW-embedded jpeg or the camera-developed (with the camera controls) jpeg?  Again, I don't know.  And are they identical anyway?  I don't know.

When I take RAW + jpeg I often do notice a significant difference in how they look when both are loaded into something like Adobe Bridge. Often the jpeg thumbnail looks brighter than the RAW thumbnail, especially if the image was slightly over-exposed. The RAW thumbnail often shows highlight details when the jpeg thumbnail appears blown.

But this may be due to a default rendering of the RAW file by Bridge, which is also applied to the thumbnail of the RAW.  Or maybe not......

I suppose Bridge might be showing (respectively) a thumbnail extracted from the jpeg embedded in the RAW and a thumbnail extracted from the camera-developed jpeg. If that is the case, then the jpeg embedded in the RAW must be getting developed with different settings than the jpeg developed by the camera.

But all this is wild guessing.  Perhaps there is a guru-man out there who can provide us with the accurate, er, details. In fact, I call on Detailman hisself to expose these mysterious workings for the benefit of all!

SirLataxe, whose ancient eyes probably fail to notice sufficient detail anyway, on a 3" camera LCD.

Mikedigi
Like?

SirLataxe wrote:

Hatstand wrote:

Speaking only for myself . . . . . . . . . .

That makes sense to me.  Long ago . . . . . .

. . . . in an exotic, faraway land called Middle Earth . . . . . .

That's good, Sir Latex has selected Mr Stand to take over my role as Grasshopper.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

St Michael, whose prayers have been answered.

Mikedigi
Like?
In reply to kkardster, Apr 16, 2013

kkardster wrote:

Nice photos Mike!  Have you given up making Vivid make you Happy?

I've caught a couple critters but with Vivid - might have to go back to Standard:And/or would I do better with NR -2? . . . . .

Sorry Bruce, I was distracted by Sir Latex . . . . 

Vivid is still my choice in shadow or in drab light or with drab colours.  With bright contrasty things I've got more used to Standard, but Vivid is still fine, it's not Disneyesque.

It can whiten whites and improve surface detail, I think.

I note in this thread that Rodger is using Vivid, iRes On, Sh +1, Nr -1 for his birding, and Vivid may have the edge for feather detail, I must try Vivid for this kind of thing.

I've just done some more pixel peeping, despite having been sworn into the Pixel Peepers Anonymous Therapy Group (it's harder to kick than nicotine) and, if only at 59mm EFL in my "studio", I've tried every combination of Sh and Nr from -2 to +2.

I can see more sharpness at -1 Sh, -2 Nr than at -2 Sh, -2 Nr, but above that any increase in Sharpness is much less convincing.  That's why I say that this camera is as Queer As A Clockwork Orange - Sharpness seems to be muted over -1 Sh.  And I am not really convinced by Nr higher than -2 because I am not obsessive about a bit of "grain" in shadows, and anyway, at -1 Sh and -2 Nr, I quite like the overall look.  Less of a battle going on down there.

All this just with my eyes and my camera of course.

In my latest tests at 100 ISO, f4.5 and 59mm EFL,  at all combinations of Sh and Nr, "iRes On" is convincingly sharper, and I cannot prove my previous suspicions that iRes wipes away surface detail - iRes On gave me better surface detail.

Being a bit of a cynical *******, I am wondering whether the lens, at least at this relatively wide angle of 59mm EFL, is not really quite what Panasonic were aiming for, so for P, A, S, M modes they installed the highest setting of iResolution (3 in the EXIF) to try to help it along a bit.

But in these tripod tests I was using 0.33 sec shutter speed, because of my low energy lighting, so I don't know whether slow shutter speed worsens sharpness.  Exposure was good and I did all the precautions:  IS off,, zoom resume, 10 sec timer, hands off, and all that.

Again I can't prove it, but I think I've had a few times along the way (not in these tests) when AF did not quite get it right, or, at close distance, gave me green without Macro when it actually needed Macro.

Lord, an' I wish I was a simple boy again . . . . (though Joan Baez said "single") . . .

Mike

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads