have a canon 55-250 already ... will tamron 18-270 give me BETTER image QUALITY ?

Started Apr 14, 2013 | Discussions
yanir
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
have a canon 55-250 already ... will tamron 18-270 give me BETTER image QUALITY ?
Apr 14, 2013

i can't stand that minimal of 55mm ! i always need to go back 1KM to take a photo of some one (portrate)   so i'm thinking now to own a 18-270 lens ...

but my questions are :

1) in terms of IQ  is the canon 18-200  better that my 55-250 ?

2) in terms of IQ  is the tamron 18-270 better that my 55-250 ?

is it worth the extra 200$ i will need to add for a new lens (canon 18-200 / tamron 18-270)   ??

p.s  i HATE changing lens ... i guess i'm a "ONE lens kinDa guy"...  

10x !!

AlbertInFrance
Senior MemberPosts: 2,589Gear list
Like?
Re: have a canon 55-250 already ... will tamron 18-270 give me BETTER image QUALITY ?
In reply to yanir, Apr 14, 2013

I don't know either lens personally, but I would greatly doubt that an 18-270 would give the same quality as a 55-250 at any focal length, let alone better, even if you paid a fair bit more for the longer zoom.

I'm prepared to be corrected by anyone with direct knowledge.

-- hide signature --

Albert
Every photograph is an abstraction from reality.

AlbertInFrance's gear list:AlbertInFrance's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bjorn_L
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,855Gear list
Like?
Re: have a canon 55-250 already ... will tamron 18-270 give me BETTER image QUALITY ?

yanir wrote:

i can't stand that minimal of 55mm ! i always need to go back 1KM to take a photo of some one (portrate)   so i'm thinking now to own a 18-270 lens ...

but my questions are :

no

no

is it worth the extra 200$ i will need to add for a new lens (canon 18-200 / tamron 18-270)   ??

Your money, your call.

You might be happier with a bridge camera like the Panasonic FZ200.  Amongst the biggest advantage of a DSLR is being able to select the right lens for the occasion.

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Bjorn_L's gear list:Bjorn_L's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +11 more
Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 4,191Gear list
Like?

yanir wrote:

but my questions are :

10x !!

Yanir, you got one of the funniest avatars I have seen here

Ok now seriously.

Have you thought of upgrading your standardzoom to a Sigma 17-70 or Canon 15-85?

This way you may improve without sacrificing quality. The 18-200 isn't a great lens, plenty of reviews like this out there.

As for the Tamron there is something to say for it but still a compromise regarding you're shooting dslr and the interchangeble lenses are one of dslr's main features.

Just take your time, you will pick what you like in the end, I just hope you give upgrading your standardzoom a thought as well.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 13,094Gear list
Like?

yanir wrote:

10x !!

Yanir, I agree with Bjorn. If you're a one lens kida guy, then you should maybe get a camera with one lens. There is just not a lot of reasons to be bothering with an interchangeable lens camera unless it looks cool to have on. There are plenty of bridge cameras that look enough like SLRs many will think you have one.

One of the main reasons for a DSLR is interchangeable lenses. That way you can match the right lens for the task. We now have some pretty good short ratio zoom lenses that can keep close enough to prime lenses that it might be worth the convenience. Some of these are 2x and 3x. Occasionally for holiday use a 5x might give acceptable performance, but when you start using 10x or more zooms you're really trading away a lot of image quality for convenience. At the point, I really fail to see the point in owning a DSLR.

If you've decided that serious photography is no longer something you really are passionate about, I'd get a high quality compact with a good bit of zoom ratio and a fixed lens. The can take great snaps on vacation or family gatherings. You won't notice any real drop in quality would be my guess. You can concentrate on having fun and enjoying the sites without worrying about changing lenses.

Take care and have fun.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,311Gear list
Like?

yanir wrote:

but my questions are :

Probably not, though I have never tried the Canon 18-200.  Generally, however, the longer the zoom the lower the IQ.

No.  This one I can speak from experience about.  I sold my Tamron 18-270 (an older version) in favor of the 55-250.  There's quite a difference.  While the 55-250 isn't close to, say the Canon 70-200 f/4, it's much better than the Tamron superzoom.  I have a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 to cover the short end.

10x !!

If it bothers you that much, then it's a matter of whether the Tamron is good enough for you.  It wasn't for me.

beagle1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,824
Like?
In reply to yanir, Apr 15, 2013

yanir wrote:

but my questions are :

10x !!

no, the Tamron 18-270 and Canon 18-200 are good 'superzoom' lens and are convenient but the 55-250IS is sharper at comparable focal lengths.

mobi1
Forum MemberPosts: 65
Like?
In reply to Guidenet, Apr 15, 2013
One of the main reasons for a DSLR is interchangeable lenses.

Not every one is fond of changing lenses (and lugging multiple lenses all the time). So there is nothing wrong with super zoom lens as such.

I bought DSLR because price came down and DSLR sensors are bigger than normal P&S cameras.

When I'm shooting with super zoom, I am aware of the compromise. So it is always a question of convenience over quality.

Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 13,094Gear list
Like?
In reply to mobi1, Apr 15, 2013

mobi1 wrote:

One of the main reasons for a DSLR is interchangeable lenses.

Not every one is fond of changing lenses (and lugging multiple lenses all the time). So there is nothing wrong with super zoom lens as such.

I bought DSLR because price came down and DSLR sensors are bigger than normal P&S cameras.

When I'm shooting with super zoom, I am aware of the compromise. So it is always a question of convenience over quality.

I agree with that. I think I was saying as much. It is a trade-off of IQ for convenience. My thoughts are why convert a perfectly good DSLR into a $1000 plus point and shoot? If one is concerned about lugging around gear, a good quality compact with a long zoom ratio will often rival the DSLR in the hands of those who treat them in that manner. They can create incredible images. They're less money and much more convenient.

The super ratio zooms like the 18-200 - 18-300 models seem to produce somewhat muddy, low contrast images lacking in critical sharpness. A good photographer might be able to clean that up to a degree, but it seems to me, that's not so convenient to have to do.

Take care.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads