Life goes on (85mm f/1.4g shot)

Started Apr 14, 2013 | Discussions
Ray Ritchie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,766
Like?
Life goes on (85mm f/1.4g shot)
Apr 14, 2013

I'm continuing to give my new lens a workout under various shooting conditions. Here's a nature shot from yesterday - we lost about 100 trees on our wooded lot during Superstorm Sandy and the following snowstorm, and as spring is finally underway here, we've seeing hints of potential future recovery. Taken at f/11, ISO 200, and 1/100 sec:

I was expecting the image to be softer than this at f/11, because of diffraction, and was pleasantly surprised with the result. I will probably shoot this lens a lot more at small apertures for detail work, so that I have a more depth of field to work with.

Ray
My blog: http://www.rritchie.com/wordpress

RSchussel
Regular MemberPosts: 213Gear list
Like?
Re: Life goes on (85mm f/1.4g shot)
In reply to Ray Ritchie, Apr 14, 2013

Its a nice shot but I dont understand why you are paying this lens if most of your shots are not wide open. The 85mm F1.8G would seem more realistic .

RSchussel's gear list:RSchussel's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
polizonte
Contributing MemberPosts: 534Gear list
Like?
In reply to RSchussel, Apr 15, 2013

I am trying to decide between the Nikkor 85mm 1.4 G & 1.8 G and although I shoot most often @ f4-f8, I am looking at focus accuracy and CA. My last camera was a D700 and the only lens that I had focus problems with was an 85mm f1.4 AF-S G. - sharpness, color contrast, were very nice but it had front/back or focus shift @ f5.6. I tried AF tuning but while the 14-24mm, 60mm, 105mm, 70-200mm, presented no problems mounted on the D700, the 85mm went right back to the store...

-- hide signature --

Es mejor pescar que ser pescado.

polizonte's gear list:polizonte's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +2 more
polizonte
Like?
In reply to polizonte, Apr 15, 2013

Nice photo, 1/100 seems like a slow exposure for a close-up taken with a D800 + 85mm lens - without flash or tripod I can't hold it that steady!

-- hide signature --

Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +2 more
87350iroc
Junior MemberPosts: 43Gear list
Like?

RSchussel wrote:

Its a nice shot but I dont understand why you are paying this lens if most of your shots are not wide open. The 85mm F1.8G would seem more realistic .

What makes you think most of his shots aren't wide open?

I don't really understand the attitude.  Do you really shoot MOST of your shots wide open?

87350iroc's gear list:87350iroc's gear list
Nikon D600 Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +5 more
Ray Ritchie
Like?

I'm not using the lens only at small apertures; I plan to shoot it mostly at the near-wide-open end.

I got the lens as a portrait lens, and have already posted examples on that. I'm continuing to experiment with all the ways I will use the lens, as I will be making a trip this week where I plan to use the lens for a variety of purposes, including wedding and family photography and a lot of landscape and nature work.

I am paying for this lens because I tried it and really liked it. I like the build, I like the f/1.4, I like the sharpness across the entire range of applications I expect to use it for. And I just wanted it. I'm not much interested in discussing what my preferences are "worth" vs. some other lens or what they might be worth to someone else.

Although I've posted them elsewhere, here are a couple of portraits at f/1.8 and f/2.4:

You can see very large versions by clicking on the "Original size" link.

-- hide signature --
Ray Ritchie
Like?
In reply to polizonte, Apr 15, 2013

It's a tripod shot - sorry, should have mentioned that.

-- hide signature --
polizonte
Like?
In reply to Ray Ritchie, Apr 15, 2013

Looking at the second photo: if my photos had looked like this, with the eyes in focus, I would have kept the lens.

-- hide signature --

markprincess
Regular MemberPosts: 115
Like?

RSchussel wrote:

Why do people get so worked up over the 85 1.4G? Always trying to prove the owner was at the very least not using all his faculties when he could have purchased the almost as good, perfectly good enough 85 1.8G. It has to be the worst case of lens envy in the internet forum era.

Just chill people, there are those of us who want the very best and will pay for it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads