Pentax K-x vs Pentax K-01

Started Apr 14, 2013 | Discussions
Aidan Gibson
Forum MemberPosts: 94Gear list
Like?
Pentax K-x vs Pentax K-01
Apr 14, 2013

Hi there,

I was thinking of selling my k-x on ebay and getting the K-01 instead. Did anybody do this already and can anybody say how the af compares. Does anybody really miss the viewfinder, I have a K-5iis so it would be my second body and I would have the viewfinder.

Thanks.

Aidan Gibson's gear list:Aidan Gibson's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +2 more
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-x
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
dragra
Senior MemberPosts: 1,133Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax K-x vs Pentax K-01
In reply to Aidan Gibson, Apr 14, 2013

Having K-01 would only make sense if you would seriously want to do more advanced video work. For all other photographic applications K-x is more suitable, not only because it has a proper viewfinder, but because of the much better overal handling.

But in the end this is a very personal decision, mostly dependant on your shooting style.

-- hide signature --

tell me what your 3 favorite lenses are - and I'll tell you what kind of a photographer you are...

dragra's gear list:dragra's gear list
Olympus Stylus Tough 6020 Pentax X-5 Pentax K20D Pentax K-r Pentax K-30 +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Uloo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,421Gear list
Like?

If you into macro work, the K-01 is hard to beat I just love the way its focus peaking works.

I also have the K5 wich does other things well.

Uloo's gear list:Uloo's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +1 more
Aidan Gibson
Like?
In reply to Uloo, Apr 14, 2013

If you into macro work, the K-01 is hard to beat I just love the way its focus peaking works.

I have a few manual lenses do you use any yourself how does the peaking work for portraits?

Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +2 more
Aidan Gibson
Like?
In reply to dragra, Apr 14, 2013

dragra wrote:

Having K-01 would only make sense if you would seriously want to do more advanced video work. For all other photographic applications K-x is more suitable, not only because it has a proper viewfinder, but because of the much better overall handling

I don't really do much video. I do very much people (portraits) and streets. My favorite lenses are sigma 30mm 1.4 sigma 50 1.4 (or m50 1.7 and a50 1.7) and the samyang 85 1.4. I have some manuals and wanted to know if people used there manual on the k-01.

Wanganuilad
Senior MemberPosts: 2,159Gear list
Like?

If you already have the K-511 I'd say go for the K-01.

It is a real hoot this camera. Giving a new lease of life to my hobby photography.

Working through lenses, the latest to find happiness on it is an FA50/1.4

even styled the same

-- hide signature --

K-5 some Len

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,069Gear list
Like?

Aidan Gibson wrote:

dragra wrote:

Having K-01 would only make sense if you would seriously want to do more advanced video work. For all other photographic applications K-x is more suitable, not only because it has a proper viewfinder, but because of the much better overall handling

I don't really do much video. I do very much people (portraits) and streets. My favorite lenses are sigma 30mm 1.4 sigma 50 1.4 (or m50 1.7 and a50 1.7) and the samyang 85 1.4. I have some manuals and wanted to know if people used there manual on the k-01.

I think the K-01 is the best Pentax for manual focus.  After using mirrorless cameras for 2 years I wouldn't go back to an SLR for manual focus lenses.  Unless you replace the stock viewfinder screen.  Live view is too important for manual focus, being able to zoom in and see where the focus point is, or setting focus peaking and being able to visualize the focus field with ease on the screen.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +6 more
Aidan Gibson
Like?
In reply to Wanganuilad, Apr 14, 2013

It is a real hoot this camera. Giving a new lease of life to my hobby photography.

Everybody sais it is a wonderful camera. But some complain about the af speed. The K-x's af is pretty slow compared to the K5iis and it doesn't have to be extremely fast but it shouldn't be slow either.

OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,191Gear list
Like?
In reply to Wanganuilad, Apr 14, 2013

"I do very much people (portraits) and streets"

I guess I would be thinking about how important focus speed is for the way you shoot.  The K01 has decently fast AF, but not as fast a regular DSLR.   When it focuses, it goes through focus and then comes back into focus.  And it is not the easiest camera to carry for long periods of time.  But the image quality is excellent.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +18 more
Alwina H
Regular MemberPosts: 210
Like?

I have both. I have hardly used my K-x since I bought the K-01, but that might change.

Advantages of the K-01 are: video (as mentioned in this thread), accurate focusing even with large apertures (as long as there is enough light), MF becomes a viable option again, it has better image quality (sensor, 16 MP, no mirror slap, ...). Its battery is better than the AA's if you do video (else I prefer the AA's).

AF is OK for non-moving targets but for anything else it's no match for the K-x. Composing is hard in bright daylight, you don't see much on the LCD then. The K-01 ergonomics are a bit awkward and the menu options are less advanced than those on the K-x.

But, as said, it's more accurate in its focusing, and focus peaking is really great (also for macro). I can do f/1.4 now and get sharp pictures.

You should see the K-01 as a complement of your DSLR, not as a replacement, unless you're only shooting static objects.

-- hide signature --

A.

Aidan Gibson
Like?

If I decide to buy the K-01 should i get the 40?

thanks for all the replies!

jimrpdx
Senior MemberPosts: 2,876Gear list
Like?
Re: 40XS vs none

Might as well for the price, unless you have a 40 Limited.  It's quite good optically I hear, and they could become a collectors item in a dozen years.  As to resale value it's not great but you could get some cash back.  I had the Limited so went body-only.

-- hide signature --

Jim in Oregon -- Pentax user, Alpha & m4:3 veteran
talking to myself at http://granitix.blogspot.com

jimrpdx's gear list:jimrpdx's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 II
caver3d
Contributing MemberPosts: 688Gear list
Like?
In reply to OpticsEngineer, Apr 14, 2013

OpticsEngineer wrote:

"I do very much people (portraits) and streets"

I guess I would be thinking about how important focus speed is for the way you shoot.  The K01 has decently fast AF, but not as fast a regular DSLR.   When it focuses, it goes through focus and then comes back into focus.  And it is not the easiest camera to carry for long periods of time.  But the image quality is excellent.

The K-01 (like other mirroless cameras - Oly E-P2, E-M5, etc.) uses CDAF for focusing, not PDAF as found in dSLRs.  As a result, it will hunt more when used with a lens not optimized for CDAF.  You just have to accept that and work with the K-01.  I have the K-01, K-30,Oly E-M5, etc.  Just understand the advantages of each camera.  You'll enjoy them more that way and worry less about AF speed.

BTW - Unlike the K-01, the Oly E-M5 has m43 lenses specifically made for it - hence, they are optimized CDAF lenses.  This is why the E-M5 is lightning fast with AF.

caver3d

caver3d's gear list:caver3d's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC1 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
Model Mike
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,068Gear list
Like?

Aidan Gibson wrote:

I was thinking of selling my k-x on ebay and getting the K-01 instead. Did anybody do this already and can anybody say how the af compares.

I have a K-01 and and K-x. I don't shoot video.

I purchased the K-01 solely for use with manual focus lenses, because of the focus peaking. I love it in that role even though I miss an OVF.

As a general purpose second body for AF lenses, the K-x is a better bet though - better handling and OVF.

-- hide signature --
grcolts
Senior MemberPosts: 1,837Gear list
Like?
In reply to Aidan Gibson, Apr 15, 2013

Well, the KX body uses AA batteries while the K-01 uses a proprietary battery.

Both cameras are very nice but having the ability to carry extra AA batteries benefits me quite a bit.

My K-01, however, uses very little battery power. Just yesterday I shot with it all day and the battery was still going strong.  The KX viewfinder is helpful when shooting in bright sunlight.

My favorite lens on the K-01 is the DA 35/2.8 macro. It hardly ever comes off this camera.

If you want to see examples of images taken with the K-01 & 35/2.8 macro go to my website and open up my Texas Wildflowers section. Currently, my site is a-work-in-progress and I add to it regularly.

Hope this helps you decide.

GR

-- hide signature --

grcolts
http://g_richardsphotography.fototime.com/welcome
http://www.blurb.com/user/store/grcolts

grcolts's gear list:grcolts's gear list
Ricoh CX2 Canon EOS M Pentax K-50
rossdoyle
Regular MemberPosts: 128
Like?
In reply to Aidan Gibson, Apr 16, 2013

Aidan Gibson wrote:

If I decide to buy the K-01 should i get the 40?

thanks for all the replies!

I got the yellow brick + the 40 XS. While the yellow brick has become my main camera over K-5, the 40 XS is just so-so. I find it has very high CA. On the other hand, it's tiny and I like the field of view, and is basically the size of two lens caps back to back, so I find myself using it anyway, because I sometimes carry only it and Pentax 18-250, or sometimes those two + FA 50 1.4.

The K-01 is really an incredible steal since the fire sale prices started. I love the IQ and focus peaking. I got used to the ergonomics and handling -- it's actually pretty good, and the only thing lacking vs. K-5 is a few dedicated buttons. You will probably even be able to get a smaller camera bag, depending on whether you are trying to make a smaller kit. I even got used to no VF -- in fact I think I get more keepers by using all live view. I think some photographers cannot get over the lack of VF, though.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads